Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2011, 11:41   #16
BHPian

Re: How to lose a customer in 10 minutes

If you have your heart set at A4,then IMO you should reconsider this,or you can look at 3 series exclusive variant,the space and ride is better in A4,but it drives much better!
Old 15th October 2011, 12:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to lose a prospective Audi customer in 10 minutes

yaar,

all this is nonsense. people are people - mostly thoughtless - aise hi honge.

What I want you to consider is that the same guys keep shifting all over - so tomorrow if the same moron joins Merc, will u drop merc?

Buy a car because its good, not because the salesman is the kind who can sell a hair coloring kit to a totally bald man.

PS: ofc, service experience is different - there - please do evaluate what they are doing. in service centers - the core culture will rarely change during your 3-5 year ownership, so bear that in mind.
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 12:32   #18
BHPian

I understand how you feel. But, I guess you have to give them another chance. End of the day, you are buying a product which you have to live with for a number of years (Unless you plan to sell it early).

Buying a product which you love will overshadow the sales experience over time. After all, How many times will you meet the same salesman again ? And since you have already made your point, I bet you will be getting a special treatment the next time you go there!

Please do consider giving them another chance. All the Best !
Old 15th October 2011, 12:37   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
yaar,

all this is nonsense. people are people - mostly thoughtless - aise hi honge.

What I want you to consider is that the same guys keep shifting all over - so tomorrow if the same moron joins Merc, will u drop merc?

Buy a car because its good, not because the salesman is the kind who can sell a hair coloring kit to a totally bald man.

PS: ofc, service experience is different - there - please do evaluate what they are doing. in service centers - the core culture will rarely change during your 3-5 year ownership, so bear that in mind.
No offence mate.

When you're plonking 30 lakhs on a car, you aren't buying just the car, you're buying the experience of owning it, driving it, and living with it. If you aren't happy with the dealer, then you shouldn't buy the car at all.

If people are just people and everyone can act this way, then Fiat showrooms would be bustling with activity and the Linea would be flying out of the showrooms. Everyone would have the 'aise hi honge' attitude. But is that the case? No. The Linea is a great car, let down by poor dealers and after-sales-service.

Yes, if the same fellow is found in the Mercedes showroom, I wouldn't want to buy a Mercedes in that showroom. Let me explain. If MBIL think that this guy is competent to sell their cars, knowing fully well that the customers need to be taken care of, then I wouldn't want to buy a Mercedes at all. Because Mercedes would have the same attitude that this pompous and arrogant chap has.

I would find a different dealer, or try out a different brand altogether.

You do have a point though. Just because the chap in the showroom acts like a twit, doesn't mean you write the car off completely. The car is still a good prospect.
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 12:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry same thing happened to me at the Honda showroom when I went to check out the Honda City GXI, I liked the car very much and Sundaram Honda the "lone" Honda dealer for the whole of Chennai was doing an average of 150 cars/month and were very luke warm towards prospective customers, but, they did give me a TD, that really blew me away: the most user friendly car I have ever driven. But I didn't buy not because of the treatment but because the car was bald as far as safety/features were concerned. I think you need to reconsider the Audi A4 and not dismiss it due to one nut case sales man.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 15th October 2011 at 12:49.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 12:48   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If people are just people and everyone can act this way, then Fiat showrooms would be bustling with activity and the Linea would be flying out of the showrooms. Everyone would have the 'aise hi honge' attitude. But is that the case? No. The Linea is a great car, let down by poor dealers and after-sales-service.
Well I beg to differ slightly with the example. Fiat doesn't sell because of perceived shoddy after sales. Atleast 80% of the times. In this case it is just the one sour experience at the dealer.

To the OP- From your first post its pretty evident that you were sold on the car since you already did all the math and gave them your cheque. I suggest you should go back to them, may be after a week or so. In that case I am sure they will be much more careful this time. Sometimes things can get complicated. The SA may have done the right thing since the car was ready for delivery and a guy buying a 30L rupee car would not tolerate any signs of dirt etc in his brand new car. The SA you were in touch with might have not known that this car was ready to be delivered or may have had made the commitment in hope of sealing the deal even though he would be doing the wrong think by letting you explore a "to be delivered car".

Anyways these things are trivial I feel. You can very well go buy an other equally expensive brand but you will always feel that you had to compromise. Because I am sure you would have ruled out them in the first place when you booked your A4. My humble suggestion is relax for a week, let them get extra courteous to you this time around and buy your car.
Old 15th October 2011, 12:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Plus at some level, u are discounting your intelligence and research.

its like tomorrow if my wife makes the mistake of walking into a premier showroom and the salesman fools her with glib talk about a Rio, will I pony up my hard earned money? Would you?

Then why switch when u decided A4 after due consideration?
Old 15th October 2011, 12:58   #23
BHPian

IMHO, think it out and give the guy another chance! This is just a one off case and im kinda glad the guy didnt let anyone into the car. They spend a lot of time detailing it and the thought of the customer noticing fingerprints and dirt in it during delivery would always be on the back of their mind! They like being on the safer side.

Please dont take this in the wrong sense but from what ive seen, the kids now a days go berserk in car showrooms putting their prints, drool and footprints all over the pace. Most of the times even the parents are unable to control them and let them do as they please. I dont blame them- its the same excitement they show while getting a new toy.

Do think about it. You are getting a good deal at the price and the sales guy you were dealing with was very apologetic about what happened. Make him dance/jump a bit but give him a second chance. We all err.

I had a similar experience once but i went back to them after they kept apologizing. The way i was treated after that just made the deal and experience better. I didn't see other customers getting the treatment that was bestowed on us!

Cheers!
Old 15th October 2011, 12:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

androdev,

Sorry was not able to speak yesterday, and deep apologies about what your wife / kids faced, but here's my point, if possible just let go off that individual as anyways the person dealing with you was nice as I figure from your post? And remember you will find people like this everywhere in this industry, just ignore them and get the product you want and is the best for you and nothing will be as good as the A4 Corporate Ed.

I understand not all experiences are perfect, but sometimes perfections come out from the imperfect situations.

Don't get confused get the A4 before my arrival.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Story so far:
Lost my Laura in an accident in June. Did not require an immediate replacement as there is always a spare car at home for me to drive. Have been toying with almost every option that is in the market - unable to decide whether to splurge or remain financially disciplined :-) Finally got inspired by the posts of originalamit@ and figured out that a 31L A4 2.0L TDI is just the right balance.............

............ On a general note, I am sick and tired of the deteriorating customer service levels everywhere, and by canceling the A4 deal, I want to send a strong message to them that it is unacceptable.
Old 15th October 2011, 13:03   #25
BHPian

I still put emphasis that we still don't know if the Audi guy was rude. The thread starter androdev was not a witness there. Who knows that the Audi guy politely asked androdev's wife not to touch someone else's car and she got offended.

I am all for neutral view. Let's not bash Audi without knowing reality. Look at the mod bblost's post which is post#2.
Old 15th October 2011, 13:05   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

To make things worse, I have been getting calls from the dealership (the sales man handling the deal, the deputy and sales head) sincerely apologizing and willing to make good.

On the other hand, the experience at the Merc dealership on the way was very very child-friendly. Starting from the watchman, salesman and the driver-staff - everyone was interacting with the children (4yrs and 2yrs) and being very nice to them. We were exactly the same people returning from Audi. The test drive car had off-white interiors and we were telling the kids not to make a racket with dirty shoes in the backseat and the sales person accompanying the test drive was telling us not to worry. I asked if he is married and he said no but he loves children and he was talking to my 4yrs old and having a genuine conversation. Towards the end my 4yr old was holding his hand and walking in the showroom.

In Audi: The sales man explicitly asked my wife to take the kid away from the car! He calls me and says he said that very politely. Would any mom in her right mind be happy with such an experience. It is not like the kids were walking with sharp knives! Funny thing is my wife did take the kid away from the car and came back to the car asking him to show the interiors. He again very politely says he can't show the car as it is due for delivery but he can show some other car. I guess my wife and the sales man are telling me the same thing - just that there is lot of expectations gap

I do get the feeling that I am making a big deal of out it, but well as a doting father and husband, it is a bit hard to digest :-) On the other hand, I do feel sorry for the sales person who might lose his deal due to his deputy/colleague. Wife said we can buy A4 - just not to ask her to come to the dealership again. And I also feel sorry for denying a deal to the superb Merc sales person! We have a BMW in the house - so would prefer something else. And I don't want to contact BMW just to disappoint another potentially nice sales person :-)

Just to add to the dilemma - I always have the dilemma that we all share - to buy with heart or mind - and I wanted to close 31L A4 quickly before my heart takes over! Now the cat-and-mouse chase starts all over again.

I will take a call between A4 at 31L and Merc at 42L (panorama roof is really cool - closest thing to a convertible)
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 13:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

its like tomorrow if my wife makes the mistake of walking into a premier showroom and the salesman fools her with glib talk about a Rio, will I pony up my hard earned money? Would you?

Fooling the wife with glib talk and showing complete disrespect towards your wife and kids is a different thing. Agreed you won't buy the Rio but would you buy the A4 where your Wife and Kids have been disrespected.

Not opening the doors of the Black A4 is just one of the events that Androdev has cited. Also read that he has stated that they were simply not interested to entertain the wife and kids.
Frankly speaking, to hell with the research and value for money of the A4, if this was done to my family the showroom guys as well as the company would have gotten a good piece of my head.
Maybe its the Punjabi in me speaking but here is my hard earned 30 lakh rupees which i'm plonking in a car. The least that I DEMAND is respect when buying this car.

Edit: Androdev: Let me make it a bit simpler to you. You are buying the car for yourself and your Family. Not for the sales people. So don't think that worrying about them should be your priority. Your Priority should be your family and only that. You are just a customer for the sales people. Just a number. Nothing more. And they will go down to any level to get this number. So just simply think about yourself and your family and then decide. Simple. This is what i have done all my life and have been a happy man.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 15th October 2011 at 13:16.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 13:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
And I also feel sorry for denying a deal to the superb Merc sales person! We have a BMW in the house - so would prefer something else. And I don't want to contact BMW just to disappoint another potentially nice sales person :-)
This line makes me do facepalm. They are salesman for a reason. It is their job to be down-to-earth-nice and use your guilt to get you buy the car. Don't give in and buy a Merc just because the salesman kissed your kids shoes and showered them with flowers.

During hunt of my new car, I got loads of guilty feeling every time I told salesmen that I will not be buying that car but I ignore it. Head over heart!

If you want to consider a BMW then go ahead and visit their showroom! Don't be silly saying "don't want to disappoint another potentially nice sales person"!
DevilsCry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 13:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the experience, i for one would never deal with the said dealer and if possible the manufacturer as well. The rationale, the dealer and manufacturer are responsible in training the folks on the ground on how to handle customers and their kids.

Kids are part of life and they do get excited, and as a business one has to account for that and be welcoming and not snubbing them. An ideal SA would possibly have ideas to keep them busy, engage them in a constructive way and get the job done at the same time. Where ever i have had such experiences i have never gone to that place again EVER, how so ever good the product or the store be (Either i will hold on to my buying decision or buy someplace else).

Also i am wondering what is the logic in not letting kids play (Kids will be kids), do they expect the buyers not to bring in kids, things will sometimes get dirty (they can be cleaned again) and thats part and parcel of being in this business one has to take these things in stride and welcome kids+wife as they are crucial in decision making process.
Old 15th October 2011, 14:02   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well I beg to differ slightly with the example. Fiat doesn't sell because of perceived shoddy after sales. Atleast 80% of the times. In this case it is just the one sour experience at the dealer.
I beg to differ too!

Before we bought the Jazz, we had taken a TD of the Punto 1.4 petrol. the experience was so bad, that we just chose to scratch that wonderful car off our list. Would you like to know what happened?

- The TD car arrived. It was dusty, had bird feces all over it, plenty of leaves and marks all over the car. the alloys were scratched.

- The TD official insisted that the seat-belt be tied by extending it via behind the front seat, for our convenience!

- The car hadn't been given a service for God knows how long! It's condition was poor. Some of the knobs were broken inside.

- The TD official insisted that we will get 16-20 km/l in the city.

- He reluctantly allowed us to take it for a few extra kilometers. We had barely drive it for one kilometer and he wanted to get back.

- He said that he will come back with the Indica Vista diesel, which according to him, is a much better car in every aspect!

- He spoke to me in a rude manner. He never gave us straight answers.

I was completely put-off by him. And we chose not to buy the car at all. If we had, we might have to face this on a very regular basis. No, thank you! And I would understand if this was a one-off situation, but 8/10 of my friends who wanted to buy the Punto faced similar issues during their TD.

Quote:
Plus at some level, u are discounting your intelligence and research.

Then why switch when u decided A4 after due consideration?
Well, my research is not going to be squashed by the dealer. I'm obviously not the kind of person who would discount what I know about the car, just because I had a bad experience. I still love the Punto, and it's a great car. I just wish it isn't managed by Tata. And I will definitely not be fooled by gilb talk about any car. i'm more informed than that! It's just that I weigh dealer experiences and give it a lot of importance, and I don't buy a car solely on the basis of how good it is! I take all aspects into consideration.

Most Viewed