Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

TC registered test cars at dealerships

Could any one let me know the difference between a TC registration and a TEMP registration.

TC registered test cars at dealerships-tc.jpg

TC registered test cars at dealerships-tmp.jpg

From the links http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post912038, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post915001, I get to know the basic difference, but do not get to know where exactly they are used. To be precise, when and why is the TC registration put? Is it mandatory for each car the dealer sells?

I have seen many cars with the TC registration being test driven by customers at the dealership. Is it illegal or is it bad ethics from the dealer? How can we prevent our car from being used as a test car? Don't tell me about the odometer. Not everybody is allowed to drive the vehicle allocated to them before delivery. Some dealerships stock their vehicle in advance for immediate delivery. These vehicles have a high chance of being test driven? Is it possible to know the history of our car after it has reached the dealer? I myself have test driven a vehicle straight from the truck. Such was the enthusiasm of the sales person, that they brought it to our home en route to their yard. I did not buy from him ultimately.

Agreed to some extend that the Team-BHP PDI check do help. But then what if the dealer do not allow the customer to check out?

Can I specifically, get a car allocated from the factory even if the dealer has got stock, if I can wait for a new car?

Not that I am going to do it, but can I take delivery from the factory in anyway?

There could be counter questions to this asking why I want to be too skeptical and if there will be a major advantage. I do not know. The only thing I know is that the initial 100 - 200 kms is very important for the car.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: TC registered test cars at dealerships

A TC (Trade Certificate) plate is only to be used for cars in transit. As an example, from the dealer's yard to the showroom (or manufacturer to dealer). A dealer will usually have several TC plates, and they are interchangeable between cars. However, the same TC number cannot be used on two cars at the same time.

Giving test-drives on a TC plate is not permitted by the RTO.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, the same TC number cannot be used on two cars at the same time.
Really?? There is a guy in our building who bought two Chevy BEATS together, and both came with the same TC plates.
Old 3rd November 2011, 23:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Really?? There is a guy in our building who bought two Chevy BEATS together, and both came with the same TC plates.
The TC plate is for single use by the dealer to take the car for registration from his yard to show room, workshop etc and not as a regn while handing over after sale. Every time a back up form has to be filled and kept by the dealer's personnel' who takes the car out. Before handing over to the purchaser either the car has to be registered , if the purchaser is from within the jurisdiction of the RTO under whose jurisdiction the dealer is also located. If in case, the purchaser is not from within, then a temporary regn is to be taken by the dealer for which the car is not to be presented for inspection. In the forst case the car need to be inspected.

See what the rule book says. excerpts from mvd kerala website.

Vehicle Registration

The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 prohibits the driving of a motor vehicle in any public place or in any other place without registering it. It is essential that the particulars of every vehicle and its owner should be available in the concerned department or office of Government and that the vehicle should be distinguishable from other vehicles by sight. The registration mark should be displayed in specified places and in specified manner.

Registration of New vehicles

Application for registration of a new vehicle shall be submitted before the Registering Authority in whose jurisdiction the applicant is residing or having his business and the vehicle is normally kept. The application for registration shall be made in Form 20, within a period of 7 days from the date of delivery of such vehicle excluding the period of journey. It shall be accompanied by

1. Application in Form 20
2. Sale Certificate in Form 21.
3. Valid Insurance Certificate.
4. Road worthiness certificate in Form 22 from the manufacturers
5. In the case of a body built vehicle, Form 22A from the body builder.
6. Proof of address.
7. Design approval copy of STA in the case of a Trailer or Semi Trailer.
8. Original sale certificate from the concerned authorities in Form 21 in the case of ex-army vehicle.
9. Temporary registration , if any.
10.Pencil print of chassis number
11.Customs clearance certificate in the case of Imported Vehicles.
12.Appropriate Fee as specified in Rule 81 of CMV Rules

Temporary Registration

A Temporary Registration is issued to a new vehicle to transport it from the place of purchase to the place of registration. The temporary registration is issued for a period of 7 days. But for a chassis to which a body has to be built ,the validity will be for one month. The application for temporary registration shall be made in Form No.20. Fee for Temporary Registration is Rs 50/-

Extension of Temporary Registration

Extension of temporary registration will be allowed in the case of a motor vehicle so registered is a chassis. An application for extension of the period of Temporary Registration shall be made to the Registering Authority before the expiry of temporary registration specifying the period up to which extension is necessary and shall be accompanied by the Temporary Registration Form C.R.Tem. The fee for extension of Temporary Registration shall be Rs.50/-.

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd November 2011 at 23:07.
rajeev k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 01:54   #5
BHPian

^^ Does that apply to KA vehicles too ? Im getting my Swift in Dec and i want to register it in Jan. Isn't it possible? I planned to get a temporary registration done and push it till Jan and get the permanent reg done.
Old 4th November 2011, 05:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^Is possible, by paying fine as applicable. I know a guy in Kerala who paid the fine only at the time of permanent registration. The down side is you are liable to be caught while on the rpad during the intervening period.
Old 4th November 2011, 05:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The TC plate is for single use by the dealer to take the car for registration from his yard to show room
This is worrying as in theory the dealer can later sell the car to a prospective customer. So any dealer giving test drives in a TC car would be looked as a suspect. I remember when we TD Cedia it did not come with proper registration plates (i guess it was a TC but not very sure) and later the SA confirmed as well that this car would be sold to someone

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 4th November 2011 at 05:39.
Old 4th November 2011, 12:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

I doubt that the dealers are being given a free hand by the manufacturers. It is only the manufacturers that can have enforce something in this situation. For example, ship a vehicle only after allocating it to a customer. The manufacturers should allocate and let know the VIN to the customer as soon as his vehicle is ready to be dispatched from the plant. Some dealers buy in advance and do whatever they want the vehicle because it still do not belong to anyone.

But, what about the cars allocated to people and they cancel their booking? Will it work if the booking amount is made non-refundable. Don't torch me for this, but it is a wild thought. Why do you want to bet on lakhs without making a proper decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
^^ Does that apply to KA vehicles too ? Im getting my Swift in Dec and i want to register it in Jan. Isn't it possible? I planned to get a temporary registration done and push it till Jan and get the permanent reg done.
I do not think that postponing the registration will make a difference. It is the month mentioned in your Form-22 used as the model for the registration. And, this gets printed in your RC.
Old 20th September 2012, 00:36   #9
BHPian

Test-Drive cars RTO registration - Commercial, Personal or Temporary registration?

Test-Drive cars RTO registration - Commercial, Personal, Temporary, or any other form of registration?

Are Test-Drive cars used in India by car dealers/ companies supposed to have commercial, personal, temporary, or any other form of registration with the Regional Transport office (RTO)? I find some of these cars having a personal use registration number when it could be said that a test drive by potential customers is actually a form of commercial use of the car.

May be a separate form of registration as 'Test-drive vehicle' could also prevent car dealers/ companies from selling test-drive cars as new cars to unwary customers. After all, test drive cars probably receive more abuse than a regular car, and even if the odometer is unscrupulously disconnected temporarily during test-drives in such a registered car, the potential buyer of that car will still be aware that it is a test drive car (and not a new one).
Old 20th September 2012, 03:57   #10
BHPian

Re: Test-Drive cars RTO registration - Commercial, Personal or Temporary registration

its a temp tag, companies use these tags so they can re sell cars as no previous owners. since its a temp tag they would have to re new the reg every month.
Old 20th September 2012, 09:45   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Test-Drive cars RTO registration - Commercial, Personal or Temporary registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
I find some of these cars having a personal use registration number when it could be said that a test drive by potential customers is actually a form of commercial use of the car.
It can be classified as commercial usage if the person who uses it (for TD) pays for having used the car. The dealership may be a commercial entity, but is not charging the potential buyer for the TD. Hence it is not commercial.
Old 19th February 2014, 18:30   #12
BHPian

Bumping up this old thread.

Yesterday I went to the VW showroom in Secunderabad/Hyderabad. I was looking to buy a Vento. I have found there that many vehicles have the same TC numbers on the plate.

Also on asking for a test drive on one of the vehicles, they got me a vehicle. I have seen another Vento with same T/C number. I told them that I would like to test drive this specific Vento as it has 13K on the Odo (The one they got me was 1000KMs on the odo). They informed me that this TC is a vehicle given to the GM of the showroom for use. This came as a surprise to me. As far as I know TC vehicles should not be used by GM of the company. This is highly unethical by VW.
Now my question is what can be done by me to ensure this is stopped? Would going to the RTO and informing them help?

If a vehicle is given to a GM , then Road tax needs to be paid. The GM of the showroom is driving illegally on the roads without paying any tax. Could they be charged as per the law? Or would the company be facing the consequences in such instances?

I am afraid that these cars can be sold to unsuspecting customers by VW dealers.
Old 29th April 2015, 22:38   #13

At the outset, apologies for deviating from the topic.I have a query with reference to Test Certificate (TC) to be obtained by a vehicle manufacturer.

A friend of mine has built a vehicle from the scratch. He intends to conduct on-road tests on the vehicle to determine the capability of the vehicle.

When we approached the regional transport authorities in at various locations, they insisted on a certification from ARAI, in case we wish to apply for a TC.

I understand that, an application will have to be made in the prescribed format and submitted at the ARAI office at Pune accompanied with a working prototype of the proposed vehicle. The application is then examined by ARAI officials. The process takes about 3-5 months. A certificate is issued after the examination process.

My queries are:

1) Can a trade certificate be applied in the absence of a certification from ARAI?

2)The basic intention is to test the capability of the vehicle. The certification process is time consuming. Could anyone let me know of any alternate mechanism by which a TC plate may be obtained?

3)Can on-road tests be conducted in the absence of a TC?

Thank you all in advance.
Old 22nd March 2024, 12:10   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

West Bengal cops are initiating action against trade certificate (TC) registered vehicles getting misused by booking respective owners/users under Sec 192 of the Motor Vehicles Act. The first offence would be slapped with a Rs 5000 penalty, while the second could invite Rs 2000 as fine and imprisonment for upto one year. For the third offence, penalty is Rs 10 K and a one year jail. The trade certificate (TC) is in the name of the auto dealer and the dealership is booked should an offence take place. Dealers allow customers to use such TC plate vehicles to decongest showrooms. Individual owners in some cases misuse TC's that has made the cops take notice.

Quote:
According to Section 192 of the Motor Vehicles Act, any contravention regarding driving ‘TC (Trade Certificate) cars’ shall be punishable — with a maximum of Rs 5,000 for the first offence. For a second offence, the fine could be a minimum of Rs 2,000 with a year’s imprisonment. Subsequent offences can even invite a fine of Rs 10,000, along with a year in prison.

Sources said TCs are widely abused as temporary registration numbers, mainly because dealers prefer to transfer vehicles to owners before registration for faster vehicular movement from showrooms. A department official said the onus would be on the dealer if a TC vehicle were to be involved in an accident or crime, as the registration authority issued the TC to the dealer, not to the customer. A senior official referred to a major crime committed in a TC number in Purulia. In that case, the police first arrested the dealer. “The guidelines are meant for both public safety and immunity of automobile dealers from harassment. If dealers comply with rules and regulations, they can operate in a secure environment,” said transport minister Snehasis Chakraborty.
The link:-
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../108660212.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks