Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 11:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car

This must be a common practice among most dealers where they drive the vehicle from the factory stock yard to the showroom, and have the odometer disconnected. In this case, they must have forgotten to disconnect the odometer and the driver was careless to have the seats dirty or he must have been showing the vehicle to his driver friends, on the way.
Old 28th December 2011, 15:36   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
This must be a common practice among most dealers where they drive the vehicle from the factory stock yard to the showroom, and have the odometer disconnected. In this case, they must have forgotten to disconnect the odometer and the driver was careless to have the seats dirty or he must have been showing the vehicle to his driver friends, on the way.
Yup the miles get added on when the vehicle is driven from the dealer stock yard to the showroom.

In my instance, they also had their stock yard shifted from one place to the other too which added more miles. Actually its a good thing if the odometer is not disconnected. At least you know exactly what has the actual mileage till delivery.

One way to check for any malpractice is see the miles on at least a couple of similar vehicles at the dealer. If they are around the same, then you know the dealer is not fibbing and its genuine mileage.

Cheers
Old 28th December 2011, 16:01   #63
Senior - BHPian

If I was you , I would have taken the money back and looked to buy from some other dealer or some other brand itself.

The dealer will have a grudge on you and your after A$$ will be screwed . You cannot go to higher ups for every small niggle and trouble in your car .

If they cheated you before buying ,what are the assurance they will not after you buy the car .
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 18:08   #64
BHPian

Bhai throttleking, you did just the right thing, and it's relieving to know you are only settling for a new vehicle.

I was taken for a ride in 2008 by 'Modi Hyundai', Goregaon, here in Mumbai and more recently by 'Modest Carz' of Andheri West fame.

Incidentally back then I was deciding between a fully loaded, used Chevrolet Optra from First Choice and a brand new Accent GLE. Finalized the new Accent GLE and after taking delivery from Modi Hyundai took it across the road to the First Choice showroom, to collect some advance money I had paid for the Optra.

That's when the guy there, Sumit, told me the right side driver's door was not factory fitted. These used car guys I tell you- he was only seeing me off and heard the door handle clank as I opened it, and came closer to check.

He showed me the difference in the door linings of the remaining 3 doors and the driver side one, and BOY!

I was shocked and my heart sank, and that's how I felt reading your incident too.

In your case you were lucky as hell to not have registered that vehicle already, but mine was already registered and handed over, just about 25 minutes before Sumit popped the bubble.

What followed were futile letters and emails and phone calls, but the dealership did not budge.

The 'Modest Carz' incident was also when I was planning on buying, and had finalized a used Toyota Corolla, which showed 27k on the odo, but actually had done 97k.

It was all going fine and paperwork was done by a very courteous elderly gentleman from 'Modest Carz', but on the day of delivery I called the Toyota dealership in Malad for a service appointment, and to my utter shock the lady said the car is due for it 1 lac km service, and I was on my way to go get the delivery with my wife in tow.

The 'Modest Carz' guys were tight-lipped and asked if I was open to negotiating, but I declined and they had to cancel all paperwork and I got the cheque payment stopped.

Both these episodes hurt alot since in case of the Accent I was buying a brand new car and the second time I was really fond of the Corolla, anyways am only happy that you got your way. Do inspect thorough and all the best!!
Old 28th December 2011, 20:13   #65
BHPian

Working and dealing with paint jobs for a long time, let me tell you this is definitely a repaint job by the dealership. Possibilities are that the car could have been involved in an accident that would have damaged the rear body panel. Inspect it deeply after removing the inner plastic trims and you will get a clear idea. You should not take this vehicle if you find any thing fishy in this exercise.
Oil in the Engine bay could not be an oil leak, it could be the oil mixed spray the dealerships use to give gloss to the engine compartment after a wash. Tata recommends Engine dressers, but sadly dealerships use local jugadu solutions for engine bay dressing.
Old 28th December 2011, 22:36   #66
BHPian

Man, don't bother with this car, its time big T stops treating us like this.

I had a similar experience with my Linea MJD, finally after 2 months of emails, phone calls and one final conf. call with the RM Sales, Tata Motors, Mr. Krishnakumar and the DGM Service, VST Motors, Mr. Ramesh, decided go with the same Linea, which had a few issues identified during PDI.

But 2 weeks post delivery, my car went dead last Saturday, just coming back from the service station of VST Motors, Chennai, with none of the (new)problems rectified and with my battery taken out for more analysis.

Sorry about my ranting, but IMHO don't take that car once you form a negative opinion on it, please don't do the mistake I did, it will eat you out from the inside every time you have an issue, instead go to any extent you can to get a refund, also transfer of your loan should not be a big deal, as the bank should be okay with an other brand or dealer.

Good Luck to you.

Last edited by ranjithpd : 28th December 2011 at 22:39.
Old 28th December 2011, 22:46   #67
Pal
BHPian

Hi,

Heres a little 'note to self' while buying a new/used vehicle..
If the speedometer is not working, be VERY concerned, as the speedo works via a sensor connected to the Drive shaft in the gearbox. If this sends up a zero value, then the Instrument Cluster does not record kms mileage (Digital odos, just like in this vehicle).

Hence, if at the time of the TD, you noticed a xyz mileage reading but no speed, then trust me, it was clocked BEFORE the sensor failed/ was disconnected (a 90sec job for an expert) so God knows how many freebie kms were driven in this LX!

Next, I wouldve elaborated on the damage, but since you are getting a replacement, I'll pass. But you did mention the spots in the engine bay were white? well in that case it must be the pressurized spurt of AC Refrigerant gas from its filling port (on the right side in this vehicle) In all probability it couldve been the dealership which 'topped' up the (R-134a) gas after the joy ride.

As for the 'good boy' GM who chided the staff, please, thats just damage control. Remember, hes a salesman at the end of it and he read you well.

Which brings me to an observation.Despite all the well meaning suggestions by others about ditching this dealer/ vehicle/ mfg, i see you are pretty reluctant and are sticking to your choice. It makes me smile. Because it isnt a faulty mobile phone you seek to replace, its a car and your hearts set on it. Something almost as valuable as buying a house and making it a home-so what if it leaks! If only all car mfgs respected this feeling of the owner.

Best wishes...in the meanwhile, listen to 'Kolaveri Di' and empathize....
Old 29th December 2011, 08:09   #68
BHPian

This is very sad thing and I can feel your pain over the ruined delivery excitement. I bought my Punto from Pandit Auto @ Tilak Road and let me inform you, I was given to do a PDI, at their Sahakar Nagar SC, before the car was sent to registration. Only after a full PDI(thanks to T-BHP Crazy's ODI checklist), I paid the balance amount required so that car can be sent to registration.

Regards,
Sameer.
Old 29th December 2011, 10:25   #69
BHPian

@Throttleking - I would again say the samething I said in earlier post. Stay away from that dealer and from that vehicle. As said by ranjithpd, whats the guarantee they would treat you fairly during the A.S.S. and whats the guarantee new vehicle wont have same/similar problems?

I would have overcome emotions and wishes but stayed away from it - afterall at stake is our hard earned money.

All the best. and do post your experience with new vehicle.
Old 29th December 2011, 11:03   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
Bhai throttleking, you did just the right thing, and it's relieving to know you are only settling for a new vehicle.

Both these episodes hurt alot since in case of the Accent I was buying a brand new car and the second time I was really fond of the Corolla, anyways am only happy that you got your way. Do inspect thorough and all the best!!
Sorry to hear about your Accent, had it been the case in today's scenario. You would have got tremendous help from the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithpd View Post

Sorry about my ranting, but IMHO don't take that car once you form a negative opinion on it, please don't do the mistake I did, it will eat you out from the inside every time you have an issue, instead go to any extent you can to get a refund, also transfer of your loan should not be a big deal, as the bank should be okay with an other brand or dealer.
Good Luck to you.
Thanks Ranjith, but I am not taking the same car, instead getting the fresh one from the same dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal View Post
Hi,

Heres a little 'note to self' while buying a new/used vehicle..
If the speedometer is not working, be VERY concerned, as the speedo works via a sensor connected to the Drive shaft in the gearbox. If this sends up a zero value, then the Instrument Cluster does not record kms mileage (Digital odos, just like in this vehicle).

Hence, if at the time of the TD, you noticed a xyz mileage reading but no speed, then trust me, it was clocked BEFORE the sensor failed/ was disconnected (a 90sec job for an expert) so God knows how many freebie kms were driven in this LX!

Next, I wouldve elaborated on the damage, but since you are getting a replacement, I'll pass. But you did mention the spots in the engine bay were white? well in that case it must be the pressurized spurt of AC Refrigerant gas from its filling port (on the right side in this vehicle) In all probability it couldve been the dealership which 'topped' up the (R-134a) gas after the joy ride.

As for the 'good boy' GM who chided the staff, please, thats just damage control. Remember, hes a salesman at the end of it and he read you well.

Which brings me to an observation.Despite all the well meaning suggestions by others about ditching this dealer/ vehicle/ mfg, i see you are pretty reluctant and are sticking to your choice. It makes me smile. Because it isnt a faulty mobile phone you seek to replace, its a car and your hearts set on it. Something almost as valuable as buying a house and making it a home-so what if it leaks! If only all car mfgs respected this feeling of the owner.

Best wishes...in the meanwhile, listen to 'Kolaveri Di' and empathize....
Pal, non functioning speedometer was the final trigger for my decision to reject the delivery. You pointed out correctly, and I am in fact firm on my decision to buy a current Safari, I know I am going to miss a lot when Safari Storm comes. It was a mistake by dealer and he has to correct it immediately. And trust me this is their final chance, any further mistakes from their side will prove to be unpleasant for their reputation.

On the other hand, I still do not see much pro-activeness from them, I am monitoring the move more closely than them. I know when my vehicle moved out of factory, before they know. And they are checking it when I make a call to them asking the status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
@Throttleking - I would again say the samething I said in earlier post. Stay away from that dealer and from that vehicle. As said by ranjithpd, whats the guarantee they would treat you fairly during the A.S.S. and whats the guarantee new vehicle wont have same/similar problems?

I would have overcome emotions and wishes but stayed away from it - afterall at stake is our hard earned money.

Advait, I am very closely monitoring the progress through my direct sources in the factory and in entire chain, and at the same cross checking with dealer time to time, to see if they are not giving me any manipulated answers. Moreover I am going to do thorough PDI before I give them go ahead.

And post delivery if there are issues and if I dont get proper A.S.S, it will only result in serious escalations. Furthermore Millennium Mobility is not the only dealer to go for service, there is National and Pandit too.

Lets hope for the best!
throttleking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 11:55   #71
BHPian

Re: Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car

Sad to hear that. Even I will be getting my Safari tomorrow. So when are you expecting your Safari's delivery? Your thread is really an eye opener. I will now do PDI more carefully before signing any papers. Hope to your Safari ownership thread soon.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:06   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I completely concur with SDP and still am of the opinion that you should put on hold your deep desire to buy a TATA product as the parent company cannot be absolved of all responsibility for attempts by the dealer to pass on a defective/abused product to you.
Fully agree with you sir. If the companies continue to get away by offering apologies(they don't mean it, do they?) or pre rehearsed firing/ blaming the junior staff, things are never going to improve. Until you hit them where it hurts most, i. e. business, they WILL NOT improve. I have had a number of such experience & almost in all cases, i didn't let go till full refund & apology was given & then making sure they knew they are not going to get business from me till things improve at their end. Anyway, Kudos to your fighting spirit & please keep it up so that they & scores like them learn the lesson. I sympathize with what you are suffering & wish a solution to your problems at the earliest & a Happy new year ahead.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:13   #73
BHPian

Had a similar experience with my cousin. His Safari would refuse to log into gear 3 from 2 and also did not allow 4 to 3 and 3 to 2. The First gear had to be revved up until it was okay to log into 3 directly! Can you imagine this situation in Bangalore? But it happened and that too after the car drove 500 kms. So in the PDI this was not caught.

The dealership then finally agreed to replace the whole gear assembly and the car was back in the garage just 1 week after delivery (it was there for a whole 3 weeks!).

I am really skeptical about what they are doing with the new Safari now a days! I can relate to your post!
Old 29th December 2011, 12:19   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
If I was you , I would have taken the money back and looked to buy from some other dealer or some other brand itself.

The dealer will have a grudge on you and your after A$$ will be screwed . You cannot go to higher ups for every small niggle and trouble in your car .

If they cheated you before buying ,what are the assurance they will not after you buy the car .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
You should not take this vehicle if you find any thing fishy in this exercise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithpd View Post
Man, don't bother with this car, its time big T stops treating us like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal View Post
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
@Throttleking - I would again say the samething I said in earlier post. Stay away from that dealer and from that vehicle.
While all these opinions are respected, may I just put in my 2 cents? Companies make mistakes. They are run by humans like you and me, who screw up now and then. In such a situation, the best they can do is put systems in place that prevent mistakes from occurring. While most do, there are some companies who don't. Tata is not alone in this respect, and the fact that they are an Indian company has nothing to do with it. Even VW has a pretty pathetic pre-sales process.

Now... having made a mistake, a company that acknowledges, accepts and makes a genuine effort to rectify it in my book stands on a higher plane than one that refuses to accept ownership for gaffes, defends dealers for what can only be termed indefensible behaviour, takes on customers in a confrontational manner, etc. etc. It's not hard to find an example of such a company: hint hint- search for Harishv's Skoda thread and you should find a good one!

Again this is MY opinion, but TK was treated remarkably decently by Tata's and the dealership's senior management. On a related note, he need NOT take the vehicle back for servicing at the same outlet but somehow I have a feeling his sales experience may not be as negative as some of you fear.

The companies are not out to screw you, people. That is bordering on paranoia. Sometimes you need to give people a second chance, and they may surprise you.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 12:22   #75
Senior - BHPian

Good that you are getting a new vehicle . But if I were you ,I wouldnt go for a TATA product in the near future .

And I would still drag them to court .The fact that they are offering you a new vehicle ,means they accept the fact that there was a mistake .And for this ,I would want the dealer punished for sure .The parent company should also ansure that customers are taken for a ride.

You were lucky that you did your own PDI checks. There would be so many people who wouldnt do this when buying a new vehicle .And in all probablity ,this vehicle would be passed off to some other unsuspecting buyer .

No offence meant ,but if you simply agree to getting a new vehicle and leave the dealers without taking them to court ,all I can say is that you are plain selfish

Once again ,if I were you ,I would have ensured that I take them to court for this CHEATING
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed