Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2011, 19:16   #1
BHPian

Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car

We were so excited when we reached the Tata dealership in Pune to take the delivery of our new Safari, not knowing whats going to unfold in few mins. We had quickly finished all the formalities, finance, down payments, paperwork and everything. Only to ensure that we get the delivery as expected, because my sister is here for the vacation, and it would have been great to have the Safari delivered while she is here.

After we all reached, each one of us was eagerly waiting for the vehicle. Sales guy told me that the car is ready and is gone for refill at gas station. Impatiently, after few mins I went downstairs where they keep all the vehicles and do PDI. I was surprised to see that my black Safari was standing there, and four guys doing some kind of inspection. I smell something fishy, but still do not ask anything and patiently waited till they brought it up at delivery bay.

There she comes and looks spanking hot in the first look. Sales guys offers me to finish the paperwork quickly (pushing me in a way), but I decided to take a look. First thing I noticed was, on right rear quarter glass panel, paint finish was very rough. It was clearly visible. Followed by some argument, and they agree it’s a paint touch-up job. General Manager says we will fix it don’t worry. Till now I am not yet gone into PDI check-list mode, but pretty disappointed I started taking a closer look. Vehicle has done 352kms, and I resist. Hand break lever look way too used, the front passenger seat despite being covered with plastic has dirty marks, literally hand impression of mechs. Engine bay had diesel / oil spread all over the place, notice those dots in the pic!

Here I politely say, I am not taking this car sorry! Sudden panic situation amongst them, first they offer me to clean up the seats, and also very quickly offers me new set of seat covers as per my choice. Seeing that, I lose some more confidence. He still insists that I should take TD, trying to be very nice to them I agree. Took the SUV out with family and sales guy. He insist to take a left to refill (again? In 15 mins?), I took U turn to come back. And told him, dude speedo-meter is also not working, and I am surely not taking this car and came back. God only know how many kms it has done, what kind of PDI these guys have done. On full U turn, it makes some kind of noise, engine felt very harsh and sluggish too.

Some more gas from them, vehicle has come Dhule so the 352kms run, while booking I was told it is available in Dapodi pune. Now he says, sir no other vehicle with Black colour is available in stock, and the production of Safari is stopped. Why don’t you take White or Silver, they are available and they look good too. All useless conversations. I left, and told him I am not going to call. You call me when you have the neat and clean vehicle ready for the delivery. Exchange of few sorry notes from them and we came back disappointed. Look at the following pics. Please advise us on way forward and how to deal with these guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car-dsc_0037.jpg  

Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car-dsc_0039.jpg  

Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car-dsc_0046.jpg  

Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car-dsc_0054.jpg  

Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car-dsc_0055.jpg  

Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car-dsc_0062.jpg  

Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car-dsc_0064.jpg  

Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car-dsc_0065.jpg  

throttleking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 19:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car

Wonder what has happend to the rear door - both corners have been re-painted ?

Safari's are not driven to the dealership - they are transported. If they really mean the part about being brought from Dhule, then let them show the paperwork - despatch from factory, and being re-sent from Dhule.

One question- though you want the black one, in this situation why did you not go for the white /silver ( If they passed your PDI ) ?
Old 25th December 2011, 19:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

As long as the vehicle is not registered in your name, you can refuse to take delivery, ask for a spanking new vehicle in the color of your choice or ask for a full refund..
Old 25th December 2011, 19:31   #4
BHPian

Iam sure you would have gone through a Very disappointing moment. Seems like this car was used for some TD or some some other commutes.
This is not the way how a new car should look and behave.

If the sales guys are trying to source the vehicle from other showrooms, please try to take the delivery from there directly.

You did a right thing ignoring the delivery of this vehicle.

Good luck.
Old 25th December 2011, 20:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
You did a right thing ignoring the delivery of this vehicle.
Good luck.
Dear Throttle king,
I am being extremely polite when I say that you are nuts if you decide to take any vehicle that too a TATA product from this particular dealer. This vehicle has done innumerable kilometers and has been shunted in the back too. God has given you clues which you should not shun. Take your money back and think over it for a month or more before you splurge on a TATA product. Under any circumstance keep away from this dealer. They should have sold this vehicle to you for at least a 3 lakh discount thats if the engine is untouched. If the engine has been opened a 4 lakh discount is in order.
Tell them you might be interested if they give you 4 lakh discount.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 25th December 2011 at 20:14.
Old 25th December 2011, 20:20   #6
SDP
Team-BHP Support

ThrottleKing,
I believe you did the right thing by rejecting to take the delivery.

Its really sad how a lot of dealers try to take the customer for a ride. Please report the incidence to Tata Motors and follow through. We need a few public examples of the dealers being taken to task so that the dealer community starts thinking ten times before cheating.

Do keep us updated.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 20:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't the car already registered in your name? I was under the impression that when you take the delivery the registration procedure has already been done by the dealer and full payment made. Thats the reason why we all try to do the PDI at the yard and then give the green signal to the dealer to go ahead with the registration.

But anyways you did the right thing. I would not even like to deal with the same dealer again incase you can get a full refund and there is another dealer in your city. Otherwise you may have to choose a new piece even if it means a different colour. Its very disheartening to see dealers trying to pass off abused cars to customers and they have become so fearless that they don't even try to atleast hide the irregularities.
Old 25th December 2011, 20:25   #8
BHPian

This is what you should do:
Cancel your order and take your full refund. Go buy another vehicle from another brand/dealer. In lieu of being in partnership with the dealer, TATA Motors cannot be excused from sheer lack of quality control and basic ethics on the part of their dealers.

Just walk away with your money.
Old 25th December 2011, 20:28   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@TK - You should definitely not be going ahead with this vehicle. As for options, if they are not able to provide an alternate black car, then go ahead and cancel it.

The finance cancellation charges are quite minimal when it comes to transferring to a different dealer. (This was told by HDFC to me - do check up with your finance provider) Don't let it be a deterrent if it comes to changing the dealer and looking at other options.

Also that paint work is bad and has been done hurriedly - even my Vento's rear door which was just redone recently has a better shine. Certainly there is a lot more to this car than just what is being told to you - good you gave it a look before signing the documents.

However, I am not really clear why you hadn't done a PDI before going ahead with this car. Still the damage isn't done.

OT: I guess my PM to you is more or less answered.
Old 25th December 2011, 20:32   #10
BHPian

I know this is easier said than done, but please get your money back and go for some other vehicle, preferably not a Tata. I've been in a sort of similar situation, and I know exactly what you are going through. The present disappointment will take some time tiding over, but if you take delivery of any Safari now, every time she develops even a small niggle, you'll have the recurring thought that you've been stranded with a lemon. The ownership experience will never be satisfactory.

Hope you won't have much trouble getting your money back from the dealer. Good luck!

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2012 at 12:45. Reason: No SMS language please. Correcting
Old 25th December 2011, 20:34   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
We had quickly finished all the formalities, finance, down payments, paperwork and everything. Only to ensure that we get the delivery as expected, because my sister is here for the vacation, and it would have been great to have the Safari delivered while she is here.
What all formalities, paperwork have you finished with and what work is left before delivery?
Old 25th December 2011, 21:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Either cancel the booking if you can or ask for a Merlin which will be soon unveiled along with some compensation.
Old 25th December 2011, 21:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

If no traction happens within some logical timeframe with the dealer, you might want to involve the Tata Regional Sales Manager directly.
Old 25th December 2011, 21:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45
Either cancel the booking if you can or ask for a Merlin which will be soon unveiled along with some compensation.
The problem is that it's not simply "a booking". He was at the showroom to take delivery of the vehicle, and it would have been registered in his name. Turning back now will need some procedures. I only hope the handing over slip (or whatever it's called) etc. has not been signed. If that's the case, the dealer might not let go of your money without a tussle.
Old 25th December 2011, 22:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
The problem is that it's not simply "a booking". He was at the showroom to take delivery of the vehicle, and it would have been registered in his name. Turning back now will need some procedures. I only hope the handing over slip (or whatever it's called) etc. has not been signed. If that's the case, the dealer might not let go of your money without a tussle.
Not really. Delivery can be taken without permanent registration, and driven till that time at owners' risk. I'd done the same with my Scorpio as the RTO was closed for 3 consecutive days due to some regional holiday allied with a weekend.

@throttleking - Have you noted down the VIN of this vehicle? If yes, would request you to share it here for the benefit of members and guests. I was hoping that Millenium Motors would be better than Pandit Automobiles at least, but I guess that's not the case.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th December 2011 at 22:49.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks