Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 12:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rejected the delivery of defective Safari. UPDATE: Tata offers a fresh car

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The companies are not out to screw you, people. That is bordering on paranoia. Sometimes you need to give people a second chance, and they may surprise you.
Maybe you're right about Tata's being deserving of a second chance. However, it appears that they've had more than their fair share of chances. Their product quality is poor (and I'm being charitable to them here), their most premium product, the Aria has given nightmares to the ones who've trusted the brand. Numerous horror stories are there with every brand, however Tata and Skoda are special in more ways than one.

I for one would not buy a Tata or a Skoda unless there is a change in their attitude. Till then, no more chances for them.

Anyways, its TK's decision, and he seems really keen on the Safari, and I would not want to dampen his enthusiasm in any way.

Best of luck Throttleking, sure hope you get a great Safari and it gives you many miles of driving pleasure.
Old 29th December 2011, 13:50   #77
BHPian

Quote:
The companies are not out to screw you, people. That is bordering on paranoia. Sometimes you need to give people a second chance, and they may surprise you.
The companies are probably not but the dealerships & service centers sure are . And this happens across brands, keep your eyes closed and you surely will be hoodwinked. General junta tend to believe and accept the technical marketing spiel from the upmarket brands while the regular brands usually get caught with the short end of the stick. Running from the yard to the showroom with the speedo disconected is the usual practice, the incompetent dealerships forget to reconnect and the polished ones remember to reconnect. I received my vehicle with the speedo disconnected and incorrect registration numbers(found out after i received my RC book a month later).

Generally have observed that if you catch TML dealerships or service centers in the act, they generally do sleepish admit, sometimes apologise and sometimes even make good the situation.

Like in all other things it helps a lot in keeping your eyes open and supervising the process to the extent possible. Needless to say team-bhp helps out immensely in doing just that!

@TK: Enjoy your drive.

ps: saw the updated safari couple of days back testing on NH4, though it is a matter of personal perference, the old one seems to still look the better of the two.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 29th December 2011 at 13:56.
Old 29th December 2011, 17:57   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
No offence meant ,but if you simply agree to getting a new vehicle and leave the dealers without taking them to court ,all I can say is that you are plain selfish
None taken bro. From my side, I published the VIN of defective vehicle on the forum. And also requested their Regional Sale Head to ensure that they do not cheat any other customer, perhaps they can inform the new buyer and give him some additional discount and if agrees he will buy it.

My issue was not that big, which would force me to go to court and fight with them, unless it turns out to be like that. I rejected the delivery and they accepted it without argument. They apologized and and offered me a fresh vehicle, in a way issue is resolved. I would still want to sue them for the mental agony I have gone through, but don't want to do that. Nonetheless, this is a lesson and each customer should learn it, don't buy the vehicle from any manufacturer / dealer so blindly.

Anyways, right now I am very happy. Just came back from stockyard, and saw the new Safari that is allotted to me. Did quick PDI and nodded for delivery. Its a very fresh vehicle, done only 43kms, running very smooth and looks intact overall. Have to wait till tomorrow for delivery.
throttleking is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 18:00   #79
BHPian

Exactly the predicament i was facing in Oct 2009.Though the Safari offered to me had more serious problems in terms of rust all over the car within a month of manufacture.

I hope you have taken delivery of an fresh car by now.In case not plz. PM me, i shall help you with the contacts i gathered then of TM mgmt.

I had my car replaced with a new car within 5 days.Needless to mention i was also checking the car for faults 1 day prior to registration and scheduled delivery.
Old 29th December 2011, 18:56   #80
BHPian

Congratulations throttle king on your new beast. Its an awesome vehicle. Certain dealers spoil the taste of enjoying a new car. Reckon you have taken the right steps.
Would probably do good to drop in a feedback on the dealership to the TATA head office, as i think what they did was unethical.

---------------
Ford Mustang - till 2009
Honda City V MT
Old 29th December 2011, 23:52   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy for you TK, for the new car. I just can't imagine your passion for the Safari and as far as I understand, most/all Safari owners bought their cars knowing the issues related. In your case also, good that you did a PDI and decided to go with a brand new one. There is no point in dragging the dealer to the court, since you had NOT accepted / taken delivery of the defective piece, unless you have another 10-15 years to spend behind the case. Wish you all the best with your new car - hope I don't have to remind you to do another round of PDI just before handing over the cheque on the delivery day!
Old 30th December 2011, 11:07   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Maybe you're right about Tata's being deserving of a second chance. However, it appears that they've had more than their fair share of chances. Their product quality is poor (and I'm being charitable to them here), their most premium product, the Aria has given nightmares to the ones who've trusted the brand. Numerous horror stories are there with every brand, however Tata and Skoda are special in more ways than one.

I for one would not buy a Tata or a Skoda unless there is a change in their attitude. Till then, no more chances for them.

Anyways, its TK's decision, and he seems really keen on the Safari, and I would not want to dampen his enthusiasm in any way.

Best of luck Throttleking, sure hope you get a great Safari and it gives you many miles of driving pleasure.
Completely dont agree with your Tata statements. Show me a manufacturer who truly is trustworthy. Go around reading this forum and you will see that all manufacturers have their share of trying to push things to the customer. But i guess Tata being a desi gets a larger share of bashing. If it would have been a Toyota or Honda, you would have probably said - great response from company for replacing the product. I guess it is the blanket mentality that is very misleading.
I own a Tata and let me tell you all that you have said is a very ill informed assessment. In India we always have to keep our eyes open and scrutinize everything the best we can to ensure we dont end up on the loosing side of the bargain - whether buying a Tata car, a car from ANY manufacturer, a TV, fridge, apartment, a mobile, broadband connection etc etc ....
vista_qjd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 13:53   #83
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all your support and suggestions guys. THE day has finally arrived, and I am very positive about it. And I am hoping that it will be at last pleasant experience today, and finally Safari will come home.
throttleking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 15:25   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Thanks a lot for all your support and suggestions guys. THE day has finally arrived, and I am very positive about it. And I am hoping that it will be at last pleasant experience today, and finally Safari will come home.
Congrats, TK

Enjoy your Beast and Always wear your seatbelts.
Old 30th December 2011, 17:39   #85
BHPian

Congrats throttleking!

I think you were just lucky to have ditched that vehicle. And trust me, this is nothing new. It happens in all well almost all showrooms irrespective of its TATA or other. I think you are aware of this that happened with GTO's Honda City also.

I have heard this from my friend who was working in a showroom and there have been many occasions where Transit damaged cars were refurbished to showroom condition(and that includes Airbag replacement as well ) and sold to customers and this is very easy for those who have multiple showrooms across cities. Simply transfer the vehicle...

Nowadays, its better to go through a well known person for booking a car to get a good piece and finally pray for an unused and undamaged vehicle.

Expecting your initial impressions on the drive.
Old 30th December 2011, 22:18   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
Completely dont agree with your Tata statements. Show me a manufacturer who truly is trustworthy. Go around reading this forum and you will see that all manufacturers have their share of trying to push things to the customer. But i guess Tata being a desi gets a larger share of bashing. If it would have been a Toyota or Honda, you would have probably said - great response from company for replacing the product. I guess it is the blanket mentality that is very misleading.
I own a Tata and let me tell you all that you have said is a very ill informed assessment. In India we always have to keep our eyes open and scrutinize everything the best we can to ensure we dont end up on the loosing side of the bargain - whether buying a Tata car, a car from ANY manufacturer, a TV, fridge, apartment, a mobile, broadband connection etc etc ....
You are entitled to your opinion, and so am I. I'm glad that you're a satisfied Tata customer.

However, I probably am a slightly risk averse person, and don't have the guts to put my hard earned money on a Tata. No offence with those who do.
Old 1st January 2012, 13:20   #87
BHPian

I took the delivery of the vehicle on Friday, and having a really great time. Will be posting the pics very soon. So far except for one or two very small niggles, there are no major issues.

Wish you all a very happy new year!!!
throttleking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 13:29   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post

A starter motor issue from Tata Nano makes a loud noise whereas a faulty fuel injection system from a Japanese manufacturer refuses to create a sound. IMHO we must allow manufacturers to prove their capabilities through some tests every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
I hope by now you are enjoying the Black Elephant at home. A similar issue happened when i had been to PDI my neighbour's Mahindra Scorpio. Its a sad incident but, at the end of the day you should be happy that you are a responsible buyer.

Wish you more smiles for every mile
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:16   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Companies make mistakes. They are run by humans like you and me, who screw up now and then. In such a situation, the best they can do is put systems in place that prevent mistakes from occurring. While most do, there are some companies who don't. Tata is not alone in this respect, ...

Now... having made a mistake, a company that acknowledges, accepts and makes a genuine effort to rectify it in my book stands on a higher plane than one that refuses to accept ownership for gaffes, defends dealers for what can only be termed indefensible behaviour, takes on customers in a confrontational manner, etc. etc. It's not hard to find an example of such a company: hint hint- search for Harishv's Skoda thread and you should find a good one!
I agree with you noopster. Being a happy, yes, happy - Tata customer since Aug 2006, I would vouch for that. Its the people who make mistakes; and more often than not the people are from dealer. And for any unsuspecting customer, they would take him/her for a ride and we have good no. of examples in the forum and outside. And I would surely give Tata second chance when I am ready to retire my Indica next year provided the I get good exp from the dealer.

So All IZZ WELL that ends well. Its a matter of choice.

@TK -- congratulations. and where is the ownership thread with pics? Enjoy the beast.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:58   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Its the people who make mistakes; and more often than not the people are from dealer.
In my specific case the dealer Koyenco Motors was very proactive in agreeing to replace the entire drive line(engine,gearbox and drive shafts) of my Junkindica in the year 2003 itself since they knew the history of the car and how it was raped by the original dealers who subsequently lost their passenger car division of TATA motors. Koyenco the angels in the episode ironically lost complete dealership. This happened in the year 2004. In my case the TATA company was the problem maker/creator. For the present(2011) the TATA nominated expert commission deposed in my favor for which he is facing the brunt. The malaise in TATA is deep rooted and even letters from RATAN TATA himself cannot get the ball rolling in our favor.
The consumer case lingers on because the company officials face no loss in their pay packet. If they did loose some money in litigation then there would not be any need for going to the courts at all since all problems would be sorted out then and there.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 2nd January 2012 at 19:00.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks