Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 19:31   #1
BHPian

Outstanding Customer Service by Skoda (Tafe Skoda)

Skoda has been getting a bad rap regards Customer Service, and I want to state my case, which would prove otherwise.

The owner of a Blue 2009 Fabia Elegance 1.2 Petrol, I have been having trouble free performance over the years. The 2yr warranty expired in Q1 of 2011. Since I have had no issues with the car and I use it sparingly (hardly done 11000Kms) due to my overseas travels, I didn’t bother much.

However, in November 2011, while driving back from work one day, the check engine light came on and there was also a slight engine vibration felt in the cabin. I immediately took it to the workshop the next morning. I had already informed the Manager at Tafe Skoda (Mr. Jose Thomas) who had prep'd the Service Engineer (Mr. Mallesh) of my arrival.

When I got to the workshop, Mallesh was there at the reception, who immediately took the car inside and after analysis, figured out that the engine light could be ‘on’, because of a problem with the induction coil or worse yet, a cylinder misfiring. The cylinder misfiring was a more expensive issue, so we decided to first proceed with switching the induction coils between cylinders 2 and 3 and the check engine light went off. We then took the car for a test drive and everything seemed okay. We then came back and did another round of diagnostics and the results flashed - 'Cylinder 3 Misfiring’.

Mallesh then went on to explain that this would mean replacing the cylinder head and would cost upwards of a lakh of rupees. I then told him that the warranty had expired. He mentioned that, it may be so, but since I have maintained the car well and followed the service schedules, he will request Skoda HQ to absorb some of the cost on Goodwill basis. He told me to be prepared for nothing more than a 50-75% reduction.

Three days later, I got a call from Mallesh stating that Skoda had offered to pickup the entire cost of repair. I could not believe this and waited for final delivery.

The parts were ordered; repairs done and I got my car 10 days later. The car was washed, the engine clean, the interiors spotless and the problem resolved. I then got a set of documents to sign, which stated the amount of repair to be around INR 125,000 that included parts, material and labor and Skoda had waived the entire amount. The amount payable by me was ‘INR 0’ and there were no expectations either. Infact Mallesh stated that 'It was his duty to help fix the problem'. An amazing attitude.

I walked away from the workshop with my car fixed and not having to pay a dime for the repairs. The Manager at Tafe Skoda, Mr Jose Thomas and the service staff, especially Mr. Mallesh, were very courteous and have defined a new benchmark in customer service. I should know, as this is the 13th vehicle in my list of acquisitions over the years.

I am touched by this gesture of Skoda and their attention to customer satisfaction. Skoda build and performance are top notch and now their customer service is too. I will remain an eternal fan of Skoda.
Tumbler is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 19:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Outstanding Customer Service by Skoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I am touched by this gesture of Skoda and their attention to customer satisfaction. Skoda build and performance are top notch and now their customer service is too. I will remain an eternal fan of Skoda.
Unbelievable, but good to see Skoda ragaining confidence in terms of Service. Think, we can attribute this to VW effect in India and no manufacturer can be arrogant given the competition in the Indian market and given the fact that Skoda wants to establish itself as a "volume" seller.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 30th December 2011 at 19:44.
Old 30th December 2011, 19:51   #3
BHPian

Amazing! This is really good news. I hope, we can consistently hear such news about Skoda.

I was interested in "rapid", but all the horror stories of Skoda in the forum really discouraged me.

Thanks for sharing
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 19:55   #4
BHPian

Well, well... Is the tide turning or what!

This is possibly the only occasion where I have come across kudos for Skoda India. It sure reassures other Skoda owners like me. To be fair, in the last ten months of my owning a Fabia 1.6, I have had little to complain about Skoda A.S.S - Assistance at Fahrenheit Auto Delhi has been spot on and cost of first service at 15000 km very reasonable.

However, a hundred and twenty five thousand rupees to fix a "misfiring cylinder problem" seems a bit far stretched. After all, shouldn't we be checking a lot of other things before considering a cylinder head replacement. And are you certain that the cylinder head was indeed replaced? I know, we should give credit where its deserved and may be I've been brainwashed in to being over-skeptical.

All said and done, a very reassuring piece for Skoda owners.
rajcs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 20:01   #5
BHPian

It's the same story here as well. Last week I left my Fabia for the first service with Gurudev motors workshop in chennai. Am satisfied with their service and they were prompt to explain the needed fixes.

Only other point was that the vehicle was delivered after 2 days since they had a huge chunk of vehicles for service.

Overall good experience and satisfied.
Old 30th December 2011, 20:19   #6
BHPian

Replacing the cylinder head of a "well maintained" 3 year old, 11000 km run petrol car doesn't sound all right to me and more so, because of the 1.25L involved to cure a cylinder misfire.
Normally, misfiring happens due to blocked injectors or electrical issues and in most cases involves components which can be serviced/replaced individually and wouldn't really add up to a fraction of this astronomical figure.
Anyways, all is well, if you are happy with the service.

Last edited by jeeva : 30th December 2011 at 20:21.
jeeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 20:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

That is nice to hear. Skoda is at least now caring for the indian customer. Bearing 1.25 lacs is definetly a goodwill gesture. Kudos Skoda and hope you continue the tradition.
Old 30th December 2011, 20:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

I can see a positive here and at the same time a negative.
Positive sign that Skoda went all out to get the car repaired and absorbed the entire amount.
The negative being a cylinder going kaput within only 11000 kms sounds fishy, all the more when you say the car was serviced and maintained as per the company guidelines. 1.25L sounds way too high for just replacing a missing cylinder.

All the best to you, I'd treat the car with kid gloves now.
hiren.mistry is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 20:51   #9
BHPian

Good to hear that skoda is now taking care of its customers. Hope this would not be a one off case and we get to hear many more good deeds, looks like skoda wants to be in santa's good book's

-Sajan
Old 30th December 2011, 21:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Oops! I jumped into this thread expecting the title to be highly sarcastic , but alas! Skoda has done something which should be appreciated. I have heard stories about Ford and also Honda allow warranty claims after the expiry of warranty on Goodwill basis. But such an act from Skoda is a pleasant surprise! If Skoda corrects its A.S.S issues, then there is nothing much to crib about from the customer's side. Good work Skoda
aravind.anand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 21:09   #11
BHPian

Good to know that Skoda has started to provide good customer satisfaction.
Not that iam being negative here, please try to find out what caused the issue. All manufacturers in general would not bear such high costs especially when the warranty has expired.

IMHO, Except Gurudev motors all other Skoda dealers are pretty resonable.
Old 30th December 2011, 21:21   #12
BHPian

I am glad to see that sokda is trying to improve its name in the Indian market. Never ever until today have i heard anything good about the Skoda Support.

This is slightly improved the image of Skoda in my mind.

Congrats OP for the replacement.
Old 30th December 2011, 22:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Tumbler: It's good to see a happy Skoda customer. The 1.2 petrol cylinder head packing up is a design flaw that's seen many engines seize. I think TBHP member Androdev also experienced the same. Rather than going for a "total recall" they are treating the cars as and when the need arises.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 22:40   #14
BHPian

If it actually cost Skoda 1.25 L to repair this, kudos to them.

I remember reading a thread recently about a swift having issues with the engine, and Maruti not willing to bear the cost though it was under warranty. And, in this post other people had mentioned about Fiat and TATA considering similar cases under warranty!

This seems to be a total contrast of what I would have read a few years back! What is happening?
Old 30th December 2011, 22:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I then got a set of documents to sign, which stated the amount of repair to be around INR 125,000 that included parts, material and labor and Skoda had waived the entire amount. The amount payable by me was ‘INR 0’ and there were no expectations either. Infact Mallesh stated that 'It was his duty to help fix the problem'. An amazing attitude.
When i first read your report, i expected Vinayak Cars to be the dealer, but wa surprised to see Tafe access. Going by your experience,they sure have come a long way since 2007 when we last dealt with them.

This sure has to be the 'Rapid' effect, coupled with all the reports on the media about the shoddy after-sales service offered. Skoda's cars have always been good, the only problem was servicing the cars, i see a lot more positive reviews now. Hope this trend continues!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks