Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 16:55   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra First Choice dealer JK Moto tries to scam. Caught! EDIT : Amount Refunded

ok, so my dad retired in November, and needed a ride.
Now, he was quite content to use the spare santro, but I just did not feel comfortable that as a senior consultant, he was going to climb out of the rear seat of a 10 year old santro.
So I sat him down, and after some discussions, he decided, we'll buy a current gen hatch.
this again was vetoed by me, and I told hi that for the same price, I will get him a good 2nd hand, post 2008 minimum, sedan.
this quelled him for a bit.
I decided to bypass all the local dealers, and didn’t have the time to locate individual sellers.

Decided to visit Mahindra first choice and maruti first.
First up was MFC franchisee JK auto/Adhunik in Lajpat nagar-1, new Delhi.

We drove a couple of mid-gen citys, 2 sx4s, and an accent.
One city, a ZX vtec, silver, in apparently prime condition was actually the first one we tried, and my dad used this as a benchmark.
It was the most comfortable, and the best appointed interior wise.
One minor scratch on the outside.
I checked out the vehicle, and all was well.
No apparent paint jobs, and no extraordinarily worn out bits anywhere.
The clock read 37000 kms.
This seemed ok for a 2k8 vehicle, and once we were at the table, the first thing I asked the sales guy, a Mr. Samir, was that “you have all the papers for this car? service etc?"
I got an affirmative.
he told me we could have it when we come for the final rounds.
This satisfied me on the front of whether or not the odo was clocked.
I mean, come on, he has the service records, and willing to share, so its all on the up and up, yeah?

an approximately 5% blocking amount was called for.
The final price we agreed to was 5.05L, and I deposited rs.20,000 with him.
Delivery was arranged for the 1st of January, 2012, being a new year etc.

Now, there was one gentleman called Gaurav over at this outlet.
I had spoken to him over the phone initially, while Samir made the sale.
He gives me a call midweek, and asks me about delivery.
I tell him its 1st.
He gives me some jib about it being an off etc, and I decided to collect the car on the 31st noon.

Reach there on the appointed hour, and Gaurav sidles up to us.
Its me, my parents, and my wife.
We sit down , and this transpires:
Gaurav: Sir, if you just give me the DD, I will process this and we can move to the car
Me: Hang on a sec, son.Where're the papers?
G: You’ll get them. Let’s at least finish the payment.
Now, this whole pushy business is getting a bit raw.
Additionally, I am in business development, and I can spot a bad/cocky sales guy fast when he is covering something.
M: Papers first, starting with service records.
G Here’s the registration, and insurance.
M: I asked for the service records.
G: I will get them to you. Let’s start on the payment, records will take some time. I have over 90 cars.
M: I am not buying 90 cars. I am buying this car, and I was told papers will be ready. I don’t see them.
G : Sir, I don’t what you were told, but I don’t have service records.
(Erm. Who changed the frequencies boyo??)
M : No service records, no sale.
G: No sir, no records..blah blah.
M : Ok, so at least connect me to the original seller, or you speak to the seller and tell him to let me know where the car was serviced last.
G : Sir, Honda has centralized info. You can call up any Honda ***, he will tell you.
(now I know there’s no such thing).
M : Wilco.wait till I get back.

We walk out, and my dad is majorly p’d off that he wasted his morning.
My mom is of the opinion that he is “badtameez”.
My only gripe is still the Odo, so I , erm, reserve my reservations(??).

I get home, and Google gives me two big names for Honda in Delhi.
Southend, and Ringroad.

I call up Southend, and don’t get through.
Call up ringroad, and I connect.
I asked the SA, “ I want to what all was done in my cars last service.reg no.: DL 7CF 5892”
“yes sir, one minute.
Car came in on 31st January, 2011 for 60k service with 57k on the clock.
Work done was…..”
Me: “Sorry. Thanks, that’s all I needed.”

You cant imagine how much of an *** I felt at that point.
First, idiotic cheating.
I mean, who CANNOT find out if the meter has been clocked?
Second, disappointment, that such a big name, so much brouhaha, and attitude remains of the same roadside dealer.
Third, I was the one who took my dad there, he wanted to get a new car!!
Fourth, I was seething mad!!!!

So I drove down again
Luckily, my car is sort my peace ground.
So I sort of calmed down by the time I reached the dealer.
Transcribed, again:
M: Gaurav, I checked out the vehicle, it has been clocked back by minimum 20k.
It was 57k in January, I am willing to add another 10k on that. You are selling me a car that has done 30k more than what it says.
G: Sir, lets go into the cabin and talk.
In the cabin, the discussion came out to be worthless.
I told him, I will not buy this car. I need my money back.
He tells me that its neither the policy of mahindra or themselves to check the odo.
So basically Mahindra buys a car from an individual, who has underclocked, and gets cheated on a price differential caused by 30k underclocking?

Ha ha!!!!

Now I am out of here.
I tell this guy, I want a refund.
He says, not happening.
I say OK, and walk out.

I managed to connect with the regional manager of MFC, “Aneef”.

I tell him boss this is the play so far.
He tells me, I understand sir, this is wrong, but Mahindra’s 118 checks do not check on mileage.

It took me about 5 minutes, and 2 phone calls, one of which connected, to find this.
Good kaamchori!!

On Monday, we plan to meet at JK auto.
I call him on Monday, he tells me he’s in some meeting.
I call up JK, samir’s on leave, and will arrive on Tuesday.
On Tuesday, I message Aneef, but he again tells me he’s in a meeting, but will be available over the phone.

Sometime later he gives me call that he has spoken to JK, and I now have two options.

I tell him straight off that it is majorly unprofessional of you to go behind my back and try to settle this, when you can’t even take time out to turn up at the meeting.
Are you my lawyer, that you are representing me?
I now have a feeling they are completely in cahoots, and this is probably not the first time they have faced some customer making an issue about incorrect mileage.

So I anyway head over to JK Auto, and samir has turned up.
I told him that I am not here to pint any fingers, I just want my deposit back.
Some cock and bull about sending a mail to their seniors, approvals, then will let me know in 2 days whether they can give the money, partial, or not.

I tell him, full, or I will have a field day with you and MFC.

So anyway, I left.
It is now the 5th of January, and I just received a call from Gaurav over at JK, that a refund is not possible. We can buy a vehicle from them a legitimate one with records etc, but no money.
I told him no thanks.
I messaged Aneef at MFC that his dealer has refused payment, and I shall be resorting to other recourses now.
And so, here we are.

If this dissuades anyone who BHPians know from buying Mahindra First Choice cars, especially from JK auto/Adhunik in Lajpat nagar , or preferably walk away from a deal going on, referring this incident (), I will smile.
In the meantime, legal recourse is being planned.
Helps to have a lawyer in the family, eh?

My demand is quite simple, and logical.
I am NOT asking for a free car or 30 gazillion rupees.
Just give me my 20k back, which I gave trusting a verbal agreement, becuase it had the known name of Mahindra backing it.

Last edited by mayankk : 5th January 2012 at 16:59.
mayankk is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: mahindra first choice-dealer jk moto tries to scam,caught. Mahindra intervenes

This is absolutely shameless and blatant cheating.

And bullcrap if they say, they don't look for mileage.

Anywho, if this is an official Mahindra-backed dealership, mail company higher-ups rather than these idiots.

Best of luck getting your money back; these rascals should be thankful all you're asking is a refund.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:20   #3
BHPian

re: mahindra first choice-dealer jk moto tries to scam,caught. Mahindra intervenes

Am sorry this happened mate. First of all its your mistake that you paid those blokes 20k without asking for any receipt.

Now even if you take any legal action, am afraid your case wont stand a chance since you dont have any record.

Alternatively what you can try is to approach some higher ups or tweet this to mr. Anand Mahindra.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:26   #4
BHPian

Mayank,

First thing please send an email to the dealership email with all the details; phone logs; people met; chronological sequence.
Please take a picture of the odo on the car & service record from Honda (just an email confirming the last service interval.

Please be aware that you can file a case if you are well prepared. In case of a notice, these guys may just turn it back to 57k. If you can't go, ask a friend to go check out the vehicles and discreetly click a snap with some other identifiable attribute.

If you have the car details - history / mileage etc in an email from MFc that would be the best. I never buy my cars without a quote with T&C from car dealers (new ones). Lesson learnt the hard way.

Please copy the email to M&M complaint center - once you have all the proofs in place. Ask for a redressal. Wait for a few days. Mention the same in your email. If not file the case in consumer forum. You will get your money back BUT you need to ensure that the 37k vs 57k can be proved. If the smart a** at MFC turn it back to 57k there's no apparent case. Hope you get what I say.

Find a competent lawyer; Delhi jurisdiction.
nitin.rai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:26   #5
BHPian

This is absolutely rediculous. These guys simply should be brought to the court of law and also made to be paid for the mental agony that you are going through.

Bring them to the books. Just now I thought of referring my friend to Mahindra First Choice here in Chennai.. Now not even in my dreams.. Thanks for bringing out.

And fight this out... Dont leave those cheats

Shame on Mahindra for resorting to these cheap tactics.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc
Am sorry this happened mate. First of all its your mistake that you paid those blokes 20k without asking for any receipt.

Now even if you take any legal action, am afraid your case wont stand a chance since you dont have any record.

Alternatively what you can try is to approach some higher ups or tweet this to mr. Anand Mahindra.
Oh, I have a receipt from jk that says 37k is the odometer reading.
Old 5th January 2012, 17:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

I thought Mahindra First Choice would be believable. Hell if we were to check whether the odo was tricked back etc, then what do they check? How many quotes of polish the car needs in order to hide scratches

Your demand is completely fair, and infact slightly lenient. If you are suing them, make sure to add the time value of money, of the cash deposited with them as well as your wasted time and energy. All the best.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
My demand is quite simple, and logical.
I am NOT asking for a free car or 30 gazillion rupees.
Just give me my 20k back, which I gave trusting a verbal agreement, becuase it had the known name of Mahindra backing it.
Sorry to hear that you had to face such issues.
@the emboldened bit-Shouldn't you have taken something in written from them before the cash was paid?
I suggest that you keep calm and try to call them again and again(pester them) until they pay you back(I have limited or no knowledge about these,but a strong case against the mentioned dealer is not possible if the money transfer is done hand-hand).
Hope you get the money soon.
Regards,
Vishwas
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk

Great, now just get an email from Honda or best get a copy of the last service record.

MFC will get away most probably saying they don't know what the real odo was but you will get your money back.

As 2500 has already said tweet; my suggestion - just use a proper escalation procedure - tweet as the 2nd last resort. All the best!
nitin.rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:31   #10
BHPian

My goodness. how cheap these guys can go? Try to have any record/email with their response and time to go consumer forum. These people need proper payback.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:31   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

This is why I never make a sale or a purchase from a dealer. They are one of the most corrupt barring may be few. The weak laws and the chalta hai attitude of most people has made them arrogant too. Otherwise in this case they should be fearing a legal case for cheating and returning your money. I mean you are morally entitled to compensation here and they have a problem in even returning your money.

BTW will a tweet to Anand Mahindra help? I think he does take notice of such issues and takes corrective action. In the meantime no way I am ever allowing anyone to go near that place. Its ridiculously funny to find out that out of 118 point checks, they are unable to find out the clear mileage of the car.

Quote:
Awesome. Thats check and mate there and then! I hope you get good compensation too now from these cheats. Please do not settle for a mere 20k now and forgive them. I can see the SA coming to your house and pleading that there jobs are on the line in the coming days.

Last edited by drmohitg : 5th January 2012 at 17:36.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Now pls ensure you get the Service record stating 57k from the Honda A** that you enquired and sue those cheats.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys.
Sort of overwhelmed by responses.
One thing though, how do I get Honda records.
Old 5th January 2012, 17:38   #14
BANNED

guys,
what first choice stated is right, they dont check odo geneuinity.My friend has sold a bolero di to FC which has done @ 1lac km with a 45000km odo on it..But in your case, they has to refund the money , no second thought on it.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:42   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith
guys,
what first choice stated is right, they dont check odo geneuinity.My friend has sold a bolero di to FC which has done @ 1lac km with a 45000km odo on it..But in your case, they has to refund the money , no second thought on it.
So then they would probably have sold it with 20k on the clock ?

I sense a more complicated stink here.
The reason why they probably dont check the odo is cos then they would have to maintain a record.
which would not allow then to underclock and raise the price of the car.

Last edited by mayankk : 5th January 2012 at 17:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks