Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 16:00   #1
BHPian

Bad experience with Volkswagen Palace Cross

I want to share my Experience with Palace Cross dealership.

We wanted to buy a New car, since we were using a 10 year young ALTO VXI (The one with the Zen Engine). On my Wedding Anniversary (after lunch @ Woodlands hotel) where we decided to buy a new car. My Dad is a follower of German Cars (works for a German Company), so with our Budget in mind decided for VW POLO.

The 1st dealer that crossed my mind was Palace Cross (since they are part of VST group and being in the industry for a very long time). We were introduced to a Senior Sales Executive Mr.Shashidhar (Should be a Trainee Sales Executive), who was very Polite and showed us the Car, we asked for features available in the Highline version and he brought us a Brochure and informed that all the features are present in the latest 2012 model. We were excited and informed that on he can bring us a Test Drive car home (I wanted to check the GC for entering my Basement), on 9th February @ 4:00 PM he brought a White Polo Trendline (Petrol) and we had a TD (Satisfied  )and paid the Booking Amount, he informed me that the car will be delivered in 15 days (max). Later we changed the Car from Petrol to Diesel, for which he mentioned max 15 days you will have the car in hand.

The next day I went to another dealer (Downtown, now buying the car with them) and checked if they had a Highline POLO Diesel. They informed that they do not have any 2012 model and informed me the feature differences between 2011 & 2012 (Reverse Parking Sensor, Driver side Windows control), they also informed me that 2012 Models are yet to be delivered in Bangalore and will have by 20th February. Then I called Shashi, to my surprise he informed me that he has a 2012 model car and he will book it under our name.
I requested him that we should have a look at the car and then decide, however he went ahead with blocking it under our name. We saw the Car and did the PDI (TEAM BHP LIST) on Saturday 18th February, I found that couple of things missing (1st Remote locking of windows , 2nd No Driver side Control of Windows) when requested the same from him, he again showed us the Brochure (terms and conditions apply), he said that they might have removed those features. I requested if there was any latest model available (February 2012) for which he confirmed that this was the only model present. I was furious and he somehow convinced us to go ahead with the payment (the worst mistake of all), we did the payment and something in my mind was against doing it.

On Monday 20th February I requested him to put a hold on the Registration. I requested my Friend to call Palace Cross and check if there was any 2012 Model available to my surprise there were 5 cars which had the features mentioned. I called up Shashi and he was still persistent that there were no other cars available for which I provided that VIN numbers and he was shocked. I requested him to change to the new model since I paid the entire amount. He simply refused it stating that there were many procedures to change it and it will take long time. Then I requested to speak to someone higher than him and Mr. Praveen (ASM) was put on the line. Again a big mistake he talks so much that forgot the reason I had called him. He also informed me that it is not possible to change the Car and he said we can cancel it with a minimum charge of Rs. 1000.00, for which I accepted and informed that I’ll come on 24th February to cancel it.

Next Mr.Yoganarshima (GM Sales) spoke to me and said that the car was already invoiced and to cancel it I had to pay the VAT amount for 86,000 which I declined stating that their ASM said it’s only a 1000.00 charge. After a long fight got the car cancelled without any charges.

The most horrifying experience with Palace Cross.

Please be careful guys.
Pradeep2612 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 16:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bad experience with Volkswagen Palace Cross

Thanks for spreading the message, this does sound like they tried to push through a older (2011 manufactured) car to you saying it was a 2012 manufactured car. Did you try VIN decoding and confronting the guy on his face when you did the PDI?

Finally, did you pick up the polo yet? from another dealer off-course
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 17:07   #3
BHPian

Yes I checked the VIN, it was 5th Jan 2012 model. I've booked POLO HL Diesel from Downtown (Glacier Blue) will be getting it delivered this Sunday.
Old 27th February 2012, 18:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Pradeep,

From your account:
- Dealer promised you a 2012 manufactured car and lived up to that promise (VIN decoded as a Jan 2012 car);
- You did a thorough PDI of the car the same car you actually intended to buy and accepted it as-is (despite some other dealer informing you that Feb 2012 manufactured models would have more features);
- You even paid the amount in full after the PDI;
- You asked the dealer to cancel your booking BEFORE it was registered in your name, and rightly protested when they resisted and said they would charge booking fee and VAT (presumably none of these were in your booking terms & conditions which are given in writing).
- You had your entire money refunded to you in about a month's time.

I am really not seeing how you were "double crossed" here. If they had delivered you a vehicle that was different from the one you had inspected and approved, I would still get it. Seems to me you went into the deal with your eyes wide open. You changed your mind- which you are perfectly entitled to before registration, and you got your money back. The SR's claim that the additional features would not be available was based on either his limited knowledge at the time or he deliberately withheld it from you to sell the under-equipped models, but in either case, you were fully aware of the missing features, weren't you?

Would be interested in the "big fight" you mention and how you managed since that would help the rest of us.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 19:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to what noopster said above. I was really disappointed reading your thread title and felt that VW is fast going the Skoda way. But in your case I feel its more of a misunderstanding rather than outright cheating. You asked for a 2012 car and got one. Later the dealer did try and convince you to stay with the booking which I believe could have been handled better. Also the car was otherwise a genuine piece since you didn't find any fault during the PDI.

Having said that it does deeply trouble me to realise how stressful has buying a new car become these days. Before joining TBHP I hadn't ever heard of something called a PDI by a customer and VIN. I always believed that buying a car is different and a simple process where you pay and the dealer gets a new car for you. I really feel sorry for all those people outside car forums who still have no idea about things like VIN and the million other ways how dealers can dupe them. Sorry for the long rant but our consumer laws really need to be drastically changed.
Old 27th February 2012, 22:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have to agree with Pradeep here. I checked both VW downtown and Palace cross when i bought a Polo earlier this month. VW downtown was FAR more professional and transparent, we went to downtown only after paying the booking amount at VW palace cross.

My pre-sale experience at VW palace cross leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 28th February 2012, 11:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

There is no end to the horrible experience i've had with palace cross till now.
I was asked to provide them with a 50K cheque to block a car for me.
I did give them a cheque and got my car blocked.
This being a company car, they promised me to give my 50K cheque back on the dellivery day.
It has been more than 10 days since i've taken delivery of the car and i am still fighting for this cheque of mine.
In the process, they are using this 50K cheque and selling me all kinds of things without even asking me.

So far:
They've provided me with mud-flaps and floor mats package worth 2900 or so. I've gotten them removed at the showroom but they've still charged me for the same.
They've provided me with an extended warranty option worth 8000 or so.
They are happily assigning these add-ons to the car and deducting away from the 50K deposit that i've made without even asking me once.

I'm still running behind them to get my whatever is left of this 50K back.
Currently in talks with the corporate sales manager of the showroom. Lets see what happens.

This palace cross showroom just plain sucks!! Stay away from them is all i can say.

Cheers,
Deepak

PS: I've followed the Team-BHP PDI stuff verbatim and took sweets for the folks in the showroom and a parker pen for my sales advisor on the delivery day. How much ever you try to be nice, it just doesn't work. It is neither appreciated nor reciprocated in most places.

Last edited by starter : 28th February 2012 at 11:51.
starter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 17:26   #8

I guess it finally boils down to the people with whom you meet and interact in the showroom.

When I initiated my purchase decision, I chose to visit VW palace cross as it was closer to my house. Then, I dropped the plan of buying a car a few days later as I thought of waiting for a compact SUV like ford eco-sport.

These guys called me a month after that and explained me about the "Once in a lifetime" offer on the 2011 model cars. This seemed to be a good deal and acted as a catalyst in me getting back to the decision of buying a car asap.

The sales man was very accommodating and catered my (three) requests on test-drive, very patient in explaining the finance schemes and even gave me good interest rate. Unfortunately, they ran out of the 2011 HL diesel.

I immediately checked-in with VW downtown and booked a HL diesel 2011 variant. I might be getting the delivery this weekend. The only problem is I’d be getting an Aug-2011 model car. What I’ve wanted to ask you all is if there is any problem with that? I might be doing a PDI tomorrow and I'll again check on the VIN.

My experience so far has not been all that great simply because the sales guy with whom I’m dealing with is a procrastinator and a poker-faced liar. However, the people in-there have been treating me quite well.
Re-iterating – it pretty much depends on the sales-man.
Old 29th February 2012, 11:38   #9
BHPian

Re: Bad experience with Volkswagen Palace Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You did a thorough PDI of the car the same car you actually intended to buy and accepted it as-is (despite some other dealer informing you that Feb 2012 manufactured models would have more features);

I am really not seeing how you were "double crossed" here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2612 View Post
I requested him that we should have a look at the car and then decide, however he went ahead with blocking it under our name.

I requested my Friend to call Palace Cross and check if there was any 2012 Model available to my surprise there were 5 cars which had the features mentioned. I called up Shashi and he was still persistent that there were no other cars available for which I provided that VIN numbers and he was shocked.
The blocking of the car was done without his approval.

It is very evident that VW was hiding some facts. While it is not a blatant lie, they did speak only half truths. They had an intent to cheat, though we may not be able to prove it.

And also they had stock of the newer versions which they denied.

The only place he stumbled was on making the payment. Once the payment is done, you are at the mercy of the dealer.

Would like to advice all fellow bhpians to hold on to their money even if you have the tiniest speck of confusion or doubt in your mind.
Old 29th February 2012, 12:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
The blocking of the car was done without his approval.
Please don't quote selectively. From the same post

Quote:
I requested if there was any latest model available (February 2012) for which he confirmed that this was the only model present. I was furious and he somehow convinced us to go ahead with the payment (the worst mistake of all), we did the payment and something in my mind was against doing it.

On Monday 20th February I requested him to put a hold on the Registration.
That quite clearly suggests that Pradeep had told the dealer to go ahead and register the car, not just block it...why else would he then request them to put a hold on registration?

Quote:
It is very evident that VW was hiding some facts. While it is not a blatant lie, they did speak only half truths. They had an intent to cheat, though we may not be able to prove it.
That is not the same as double-crossing, which was my only point. In any case, someone has changed the thread title so it is moot now.

Quote:
And also they had stock of the newer versions which they denied.
Again I have acknowledged this in my post. But it could possibly be out of genuine ignorance rather than a deliberate lie. VW has been known to withhold information from dealers in the past.

Quote:
The only place he stumbled was on making the payment. Once the payment is done, you are at the mercy of the dealer.

Would like to advice all fellow bhpians to hold on to their money even if you have the tiniest speck of confusion or doubt in your mind.
Very good advice. In this case, he should never have made the booking/asked dealer to proceed with the registration in the first case. If you ask me, Pradeep is lucky to have got his full refund within a month. If the dealer had in fact proceeded with the registration he would be stuck with a car he didn't want!
Old 29th February 2012, 12:48   #11
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree with noopster here. Seems like a simple misunderstanding. Not all sales folk know latest features/variants etc. like us who live and breathe tbhp. I've been there a couple of times to test drive the Jetta and they were quite courteous.

I'm looking to book a Jetta with VW Palace Cross, and I'm gonna make myself clear that i'm a Team-bhpian so they dont mess with the wrong chap
Old 29th February 2012, 13:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
I've been there a couple of times to test drive the Jetta and they were quite courteous.
Absolutely. They were just brilliant till the booking happened.
I somehow find that the whole staff there are super lethargic.
Not just one, everybody in this showroom have this habit of acting busy when you call them. They promise to return your call and they never do so. The behaviour of these same people was quite opposite before the booking of the car.
Quote:
I'm looking to book a Jetta with VW Palace Cross, and I'm gonna make myself clear that i'm a Team-bhpian so they dont mess with the wrong chap
NIP, i would still suggest that you try out another showroom.
I just got back from Palace Cross. A leave at office and a day of mine wasted.
I've finally been handed over a cheque for 37K at the moment.
The remaining 13K is still under discussion and i do not know when they are going to hand over the rest of it.
Latest update, they've went ahead and deducted a further 500 Rs because of some mis-calculation of the road tax on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dineshravindran View Post
I guess it finally boils down to the people with whom you meet and interact in the showroom.
Might be true Dinesh. But, i would still blame the showroom.
Not everybody would get to meet a good salesman. It is not in my control
It is the showroom (management of it) who should enforce fair practices.
Quote:
My experience so far has not been all that great simply because the sales guy with whom I’m dealing with is a procrastinator and a poker-faced liar. However, the people in-there have been treating me quite well.
Re-iterating – it pretty much depends on the sales-man.
Exactly!!

Cheers,
Deepak

PS: I don't really have anything against VW as such. I am absolutely happy with their cars. I only have a problem with one of their dealerships.

Last edited by starter : 29th February 2012 at 13:52.
Old 29th February 2012, 15:48   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Once the payment is done, you are at the mercy of the dealer.

Although this might be true for a few dealers, it is certainly not true everywhere. And certainly not for all VW dealers.

My Vento payment was done (entire loan amount) by HDFC to the showroom, however the delivery was still yet to be done. Even a month later, when I was assigned the refreshed model, when they couldn't give me the pre-refreshed model, they were ready to refund the entire amount if I wanted to cancel (since I had to pay extra for the newer model). This was committed by the SE, his manager, the GM and as well as the regional sales manager of VW, with whom I was interacting at that time.

As for @pradeep's case, my two cents:
IMO, he seems to have taken certain liberties at multiple times, which for a good dealer/showroom, might have not been a problem. However it didn't work out in this case. From a 3rd person's view, I see a sales guy trying to clear up older inventory while the buyer has assumed a few things without completely validating the same. I would advice everyone to do the same irrespective of the dealer/brand's past feedback.

P.s. Glad to see that the thread name has been updated appropriately.
Old 29th February 2012, 15:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

We had a similar experience .Just post on the VW India Facebook page and you will get immediate response .

Our brand new Polo had a clutch failure at 1200 kms in Mysore .VW got a flat bed truck to get it to bangalore ( for which they said they would be charging 10 K INR ) .

The car languished at VW Palace Ground for 2 weeks waiting for a clutch replacement .The manager wasnt even able to give a proper estimate .I then wrote on the FB page and got an immediate response .

We had the clutch plate replaced free of cost but had to pay 6K INR for service .VW opens brake pads and drums at 1200 kms !!

We have decided we will advise everyone to stay away from VW . Instead of free pillows and GPS ,it is A.S.S that we need .

And ,if at all they had charged us for the clutch and the towing ,the total replacement cost would have come to around 32K INR ( 6 K service+10 K towing+16 K clutch)
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 17:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
There is no end to the horrible experience i've had with palace cross till now.
I was asked to provide them with a 50K cheque to block a car for me.
I did give them a cheque and got my car blocked.
This being a company car, they promised me to give my 50K cheque back on the dellivery day.
It has been more than 10 days since i've taken delivery of the car and i am still fighting for this cheque of mine.
In the process, they are using this 50K cheque and selling me all kinds of things without even asking me.

So far:
They've provided me with mud-flaps and floor mats package worth 2900 or so. I've gotten them removed at the showroom but they've still charged me for the same.
They've provided me with an extended warranty option worth 8000 or so.
They are happily assigning these add-ons to the car and deducting away from the 50K deposit that i've made without even asking me once.

I'm still running behind them to get my whatever is left of this 50K back.
Currently in talks with the corporate sales manager of the showroom. Lets see what happens.

This palace cross showroom just plain sucks!! Stay away from them is all i can say.

Cheers,
Deepak

PS: I've followed the Team-BHP PDI stuff verbatim and took sweets for the folks in the showroom and a parker pen for my sales advisor on the delivery day. How much ever you try to be nice, it just doesn't work. It is neither appreciated nor reciprocated in most places.

Dude, this seems like a case of outright cheating. If your company has already paid the money that's reflected on the invoice, he has no business holding back your 50k. I would suggest that you stop pleading with them and approach the police. Trust me you will have your money back in no time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks