Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Advaith Hyundai loses my Hyundai i10! Cops find it, car lying at Police Station

^^Exactly my point. You are also responsible for your car(or anything that belongs to you). So why the diffidence in talking to the cops etc.?

@sandeepmohan- if this is part of a larger racket then for sure he affected owners need to get together and talk to the authorities with the dealer out of the loop. "We are shocked" is hardly an acceptable explanation for 5-6 cars being stolen from under their noses.
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:21   #17
lsp
BHPian

Re: Advaith Hyundai loses my Hyundai i10! Cops find it, car lying at Police Station

Keeping 5.6 as the original value of the 4L does seem low for a 1 yr old car which is well maintained (I assume). Think over the option of taking the car from them and selling it in open market if you think you might get a better offer outside.

In this case you should insist Advait Hyundai changes all locks in the car (gratis) as you don't know if the gangster got a duplicate made and can anyday drive off with your parked car.

Peace of mind is a big thing and can't be equated with money. If you think you cannot stay with the car anymore, explore the above option. Else 4L offer from Hyundai stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
5.6lac on road was the cost for my Hyundai i10 Sports Option variant.
lsp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:22   #18
Team-BHP Support

It’s a bit strange that he decided not to file a case by himself, especially with the fact that it’s a common occurrence with the said dealership. Now that he doesn’t want to own the car anymore, either sell it off by himself, or take the money offered by the dealership.

Actually 4 lakhs sound reasonable, and I guess the dealership want to bury the incident as well, and hence offering the said amount. In any case, just ensure that paperwork is all in right place.
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Just so you all know, Advaith have lost about half a dozen cars in this manner. Mine was part of a two car nick plan. Another car disappeared along with mine. The cops have managed to recover most of them. According to Advaith, my service advisor has been with them for 8 years and they are really shocked by what he has done.

I would like to Thank you all for the advice. It has helped tremendously.

Is Your car lost or your HR managers car? seems like you needed a closure for the same.
Many have give a sound advice of picking up the pieces, moving on and avoid getting into the legal trap. Anyway what is your call on this matter now?
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a different line of thought. What if the local dealer is involved in this whole scam? Dealerships must be having some sort of check and gate passes before a car goes out. Also they would have a full employment history of the people they employ. So its a bit hard to believe that the SA himself thought that he can sell off the car and at the same time go Scott free. If he had that mentality and wanted to steal he could have very well copied your keys and driven the car sometime later with the help of this gangster. I mean there are many more simpler and easier ways to steal a car. This one is surely going to leave a big trail behind and its very evident that the SA would be caught. So may be the dealership too is involved and no wonder the reason why the Police could probably get your vehicle back so easily.

In my opinion whatever is the case just sell of the car either to the dealer or outside. Its not worth the mental stress.
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:29   #21
BHPian

Ok i have nil knowledge about legal proceedings, yet how about spreading the news regarding the issue by way of newspapers, notices, tv channels etc? Let the news spread and advaith would be worried about their reputation. You have solid evidence to back up, so defamation suit cant be filed, right?

The car could have been loaned to the gangster for performing some illegal activities and now no one can be held responsible as per the current situation.

Arent there any lawyers on the forum?

Last edited by revintup : 23rd April 2012 at 14:31.
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine was part of a two car nick plan. Another car disappeared along with mine. According to Advaith, my service advisor has been with them for 8 years and they are really shocked by what he has done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Is Your car lost or your HR managers car? seems like you needed a closure for the same.
Let me ask you, is this your car. (the first person usage prompted me to ask that, not in the first post quote but in the subsequent ones)
That apart, being Rs 5.6 L on road, I now feels that the price offered is less. First talk with the cops and your lawyer so that your responsibility on any mis deed by the "gangster" can be absolved. Then if there is no damage on your car use the car.

Last edited by rajeev k : 23rd April 2012 at 14:38.
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:41   #23
BHPian

If there is nothing wrong with the car and if the police can give you a written report mentioning the days wherein the car was missing why would your friend want to sell off the car for a loss of 1.6 lakhs? If he wants a new car then he would have to shell out another 1.6 lakhs (4 lakhs + 1.6 lakhs = 5.6 lakhs) so actually he is loosing 3.2 lakhs if he sells the car for 4 lakhs and buys a new one
I would advice him to take the car back along with a police report on the car being stolen so that he cannot be held responsible for any illegal activity the car was used for during the time it was missing.

Last edited by dockap : 23rd April 2012 at 14:42.
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Let me ask you, is this your car. (the first person usage prompted me to ask that, not in the first post quote but in the subsequent ones)
That apart, being Rs 5.6 L on road, I now feels that the price offered is less. First talk with the cops and your lawyer so that your responsibility on any mis deed by the "gangster" can be absolved. Then if there is no damage on your car use the car.
He is referring to his HR Managers car since he is telling the incident on the managers behalf.

The whole episode and a bunch of cars having the same fate in this service center makes me think there a few elements in Advaith that is hand in glove with the scam.
Since there were other stolen cars that were recovered, why dont you suggest checking what happened in those cases, by contacting those owners directly.
Ofcourse when asked for details of these customers at the A.S.S, they may not oblige.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:55   #25
BHPian

If I were him, below are the options I would consider:

- Get a NOC / FIR (and any case closure docs) from cops (future insurance).
- Get the car checked by an independent evaluator (to ensure that the unknown usage had not caused some adverse impact on the car).
- Get the best resale price for the car, had this incident had not happened (from Hyundai themselves and also an independent agency).

Now future course:
- If the evaluated price is lesser than the currently quoted price, push Advaith/Hyundai to compensate for it. Compensation can be in cash / exchange value for a new car purchase.

If the evaluated price is similar to currently quoted price, get a price offer for this from Hyundai, so this stays in paper. Post this, the car can be sold to anyone who has same / higher value.

Just in case, she / he wants to keep the car, he can still do, as the car is good technically & legally!

PS: Even in case of selling, it may be a better idea to sell after couple of months as the price decline due to this incident would have lesser impact while now, it may be construed as a distress sale.
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Advaith have lost about half a dozen cars in this manner. Mine was part of a two car nick plan. Another car disappeared along with mine. The cops have managed to recover most of them. According to Advaith, my service advisor has been with them for 8 years and they are really shocked by what he has done.

I would like to Thank you all for the advice. It has helped tremendously.
@sandeepmohan,

I understand it is a very difficult situation to land in. It is probably easy for me to say than for you to fathom and digest! I am sorry to know such an incident happened.

I am of the opinion (like most of the fellow team-bhpians who posted here) that you must strike a chord with the dealer (either directly / or through Hyundai) and settle for a bargain of 4.75 L or thereabouts. You will have to a spend a small amount to check with one of your trusted lawyers regarding the pros and cons (gains and losses) of taking a legal route, so that your are prepared (even though you don't take a legal route) and the information will be of help while you negotiate for the car with the dealer.

Do this without losing much time; the more you delay, the tougher it gets to seal the deal!

Note down the Registration Number, Vehicle Identification Number and Engine Number of the car. Once you come out of the situation, you could post these details where most have access to, so that second-hand car buyers (genuine folks) don't end up buying it.

Thanks,
C_
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

I have lot of experience with Advaith and I could swear they are professional grade.
Are you kidding me that this happened to 8 cars?? Holy cow! Trully stunning!!
Any trace of the service advisor?
Never trust the cops - they are always hand in glove with whoever has money.
Just take the 4L and forget it as a bad dream.
Make sure to go thru the buyers checklist from TBHP archives. You want to be 200% sure its a new car.. Luck isnt on your side right now - so be 200% sure.
Old 24th April 2012, 09:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

The car belongs to my HR Manager. I am wondering why he has not responded here. Being a Newbie, he could not start a thread, should be able to respond. Out sick today so can't update on what he has decided.

It is indeed going to be a huge loss if the car is sold. First; it can't be sold on the team bhp forums as there is information about this car being stolen right here.

The only option for my HR Manager is to sell it in the open market or move on with the same car after receiving all clearance certificates from the police and as someone had suggested, replace the lock set. I still ask, how would this matter? Modern cars come fitted with immobilizers so there is no scope of driving the car even if you can break in.
Old 24th April 2012, 11:01   #29
BHPian

There are many things which you could have done better in the situation but its always easier to say this in hindsight. Take it as a lesson and its a learning for all of us here too. Given the situation, I feel there is no case for you to get a replacement car either from Advaith and certainly not from Hyundai. My suggestions on what you can do,

- To get over the 'Bad Feeling' for the car.
Bargain a bit and get 4.5lacs from Advaith. It may not be a deal that would make you happy but objective is for you to get over your 'bad feeling'

- If you want to teach Advaith a lesson
Post this on social forums and car related websites. Do this only after you get money from them.

- If you want to teach Hyundai a lesson
Spread the news in media, net etc. Again do this only after you sell the car to Advaith.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 12:31   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Tell him to:
  • Bargain for a better price and get 4.5 atleast.
  • Don't sell it in the open market (why would he want to spoil some other's peace f mind if something unfortunate happens in the future)
  • Take it as a blessing in disguise. buy a diesel
  • Forget the episode and never buy a Hyundai again.

Most Viewed