Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 17:31   #1
Mtv
BHPian

Shoddy Job by Bengal Hyundai A.S.S.

We bought an i20 (1.2 Sportz petrol) from Bengal Hyundai in May 2011.
Sales reps were courteous, Prompt delivery of the vehicle, all in all a hassle free experience at the dealership .

A squall hit Kolkata (96kmh windstorm) on 8th April, causing a 15 kilo stone slab come loose off the side of my office building and guess what was parked right below.
The slab went right through the roof and landed on the rear seat, leaving a massive hole in the roof and some dents on the side. The car was sent to the Bengal Hyundai's workshop the very next day. Since this was a genuine accident, the insurance was claimed without further investigation. I was given the delivery slip and they said that it would take 15-20 days until they'd deliver the car.

Workshop called on 25th April saying that the car was ready, so I sent my driver with the slip and 3,000 rupees for the various charges the rep stated over the phone. When I inspected the car at home, I was shocked .
Here's why :
1.The roof was filled, but uneven all over and drooping at one corner.

2.The backlights and the rear windscreen hadn't been masked while re spraying, run off spray paint was clearly visible around the edges.

3.There was a fresh dent on the front bumper, a long scratch on the left side.

4.the plastic casing for the LHS ORVM was broken.

5.Alloy spare wheel had been replaced with a steel rimmed tire with the Magna hub cap.

6.backseats were damp, unbearable stench in the cabin. Car was covered in dust inside and out. Black handprints all over the roof lining

7.Chewing gum stuck on the steering wheel.

Infuriated, I took the car back to the shop immediately. The rep who I spoke to earlier tended to me. Here's our exchange :

ME: what's with the damage to the body? It wasn't there when I sent the car to you
REP: "it's very minor sir, workshop mean aise lagta rehta hai"

I'm not going into inane detail now, but I gathered that they charge extra for a clean up and polish, so the dusty car was justified
He tried hard to convince me that the spare was a space saver (false as
confirmed with a fewsportz owners ).
My dad knows the owner and so he contacted him there and then. Within 5 minutes the whole environment changed and they agreed to take the car back and redo the job. I was saved. This episode has left a sour taste in my mouth and I'll think twice about buying another Hyundai.

What about owners who haven't any contact with senior members of these companies? How do they deal with unruly dealerships amd workshops?
Mtv is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 23:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shoddy Job by Bengal Hyundai A.S.S.

Thats a really bad job by Bengal Hyundai there.

1.Post some pictures of the car,with the damage and after the shoddy repair job.

2.Ask them to use thinner or whatever liquid to clean the rear windscreen and backlights.You can't do anything else here.

3.Make them paint the Bumper which has been damaged by them.

4.Replacement of the LHS OVRM.

5.This is just ridiculous.Replacing an alloy with a Steel wheel.Your service adviser must have plonked that into a repaired car.

6.Ask them to do a 3M interior cleaning to get rid of that.

Would suggest you to write an email with pictures to the Hyundai India Officials.Ask them to give you a detailed explanation for the sad way they have dealt with your car for.
Old 29th April 2012, 23:52   #3
Mtv
BHPian

I wish I had taken a few pictures, everything happened so quickly that it didn't occur to me. The service centre agreed to take the car back only after my dad contacted the owner. Until then I was completely ignored by the rep. It's been 5 days and still no word from them.
Horrible service , we'll probably never buy another Hyundai again. I doubt that Hyundai will lose potential buyers with threads like these, but I wish to put the word out with my horrible experience about their service.
On a different note, close competitor Honda has one of, if not the best service quality ever. The reps are ever so polite and accommodating, they call at intervals and inquire about our car. They even offer free pick up service and cleaning
Old 30th April 2012, 11:29   #4
BHPian

Mtv

Really feel sad for you. Bengal Hyundai is extremely notorious for its shoddy service, and specifically for its accidental repairs. They have monkeys for technicians. I personally know of at least 3 other cars which were screwed up big time by these people.
Keep a close tab on the work being done. Insist on seeing the car regularly during the repair work and take pictures. Get into the details what is being done and how, keep a record of the same. Will come in handy later on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks