Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2012, 16:25   #1

Age restrictions on dealership test drives?

I apologize in advance if I am posting this is in the wrong forum. I am planning to go for a test drive of the Mahindra XUV500. Can I request the dealership to allow my son, who is 19 years old, to drive for some time? He has a valid driver's license and he regularly drives my Honda City unaccompanied by me.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice in this regard.

Swaroop
Old 20th August 2012, 19:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Age restrictions on dealership test drives?

If he's 18+ and holds a valid driving license i don't see any issue here. (As long as he is a good driver + confident and well practiced by now).

In other countries, insurance premiums have a HUGE difference between an 18 year old and a 25 year old, so there are some restrictions in place (eg. when renting a car). India has no such issues that i know of.

I've taken several test driver when i had just received my license at 18. Have never had anyone stop or even ask me for my lisence, except once at the Mahindra showroom, where the dealership making a xerox of the license was part of the test-drive routine.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th August 2012 at 19:40.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 19:42   #3
BHPian

I am not aware of any age restriction on dealership test drives. I could be wrong.
A valid license should be good enough. When we test drive a car, it would usually go like my dad starts the drive, and then my mom and me(I'm also 19 btw) behind the wheel for the rest of the test drive.Buying a car is a collective decision in my house.
I dont see why the dealer/sales executive would disallow your son.
Again, if your son goes alone for the test drive i think that may be a different matter. But in your prescence when your around in the car.I dont think there should be a problem.
Old 20th August 2012, 19:44   #4
BHPian

No there are no age restrictions. I'm 19 and have never been denied a test drive whether its a small car or a big one.
You just need a valid driving license but some dealerships don't even ask for it. Only a Honda dealership wrote down my license number on the test drive form once.
Edit : And most of the times I've gone for the test drive alone but there are no restrictions.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 20th August 2012 at 19:45.
Old 20th August 2012, 19:54   #5
BHPian

Yes, they usually take a photocopy of your license and ask you to sign it. Atleast honda, toyota and hyundai have till now.
Old 21st August 2012, 09:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

As such, he can do the TD. But given the age, the dealership might just need that extra endorsement from you about his driving skills/temperament.

A friend, all of 19, of mine took a TD of XUV when he went with family; so don't think it should be a problem.
Old 21st August 2012, 10:19   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrpxz View Post
I apologize in advance if I am posting this is in the wrong forum. I am planning to go for a test drive of the Mahindra XUV500. Can I request the dealership to allow my son, who is 19 years old, to drive for some time? He has a valid driver's license and he regularly drives my Honda City unaccompanied by me.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice in this regard.

Swaroop
Will not be an issue at all. I'm 20 and I've gone for enough of test drives with family and alone, never been stopped.
Old 21st August 2012, 12:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

I did my first test drive at 19, although i was accompanied by my father, and later drove the car behind him (He was driving the older car) 300Kms back to our home in Korba (From Raipur). So yes there are no restrictions as long as one has a valid driving license.
Old 22nd August 2012, 01:06   #9
BHPian

He is ready to go. No issues, As far as i know there is no age restrictions for test drive, Provided if he has a license. Your son qualifies for both

He is above 18 & holds a valid license to drive.

Cheers

Josh
Old 2nd September 2012, 16:20   #10
BHPian

Never a problem!
I've done TD's since the age of 18, most dealers dont even check your licence (only once did a sales rep note down my licence no - DSK Pune for a TD of the then newly launched Fortuner).

As far as i know, there are no restrictions, so i'm sure they'll let your son have a go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks