Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 02:21   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: KSM Motors smashes customer's Jetta on a joyride. EDIT: New replacement car!

People need to realise that VW and Skoda operate as independent operating entities with separate marketing/sales/executive teams . Skoda does around Eur 10 billion in annual sales on a standalone basis so its a big enough company by itself - its out of place to put "VW/Skoda" wherever there is any issue concerning either of them, they are not one and the same . Each of the companies will have their own way of handling specific incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
It would be nice if he opens up his mail or messaging service so he can atleast let fellow T-BHPians know how it played out so some of us who may face such a scenario in the future can actually take up similar route and get it resolved.
Unfortunately he is a newbie and I guess TBHP rules do not allow a newbie to message . An exception has to be made
Old 28th September 2012, 02:43   #152
BHPian

re: KSM Motors smashes customer's Jetta on a joyride. EDIT: New replacement car!

I think this is a great resolution to the issue. While we are quick to criticize KSM and VW I think now its time to be gracious and offer a pat on the back for correcting their wrongs and doing the right thing.

There are not always happy endings, a lot of times an individual is left to deal with indifference, highhandedness, arm twisting and 'influence' thanks to our lengthy and ineffective legal system for consumer issues.

Sure there is mental anguish and harassment, and without the personal fight and effort unlikely the result would be a new Jetta but a good ending is a good ending.
Old 28th September 2012, 02:49   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
its time to be gracious and offer a pat on the back for correcting their wrongs and doing the right thing.
It took them weeks.

Maybe itstime to recognize that somebody somewhere in the VW organisation did the right thing, but also that they took far too long about it.
Old 28th September 2012, 03:08   #154
Senior - BHPian

This is good news indeed. Congratulations to Vineet for pursuing the matter and finally getting a new car. It would be nice to share a few more details of how the settlement was finally concluded. Were you made to pay something or the difference for VW to offer the new car?.
Taken a long time, but worth it IMHO. Enjoy the new car.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:02   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

While I am happy for Vineet, I am not so sure this is the best possible solution at a macro level. This is why India needs a strong torts system in place, like the US.

The threat of- to put it bluntly- getting one's pants sued off is a very effective deterrent in most developed countries for companies to stay in line and behave themselves. A company's authorised dealer takes possession of my car for a company-recommended interval service and then takes it for a joyride, crashes it and covers up the fact that it has been crashed: all undisputed fact. Never mind the subsequent "compromise" solutions offered (and accepted)- that's not the point. What about the moral aspect of it: are we now saying it is OK to break the law as long as you make recompense for it?

Take a rather extreme analogy: somebody robs my house, and I catch him somehow. He then says Oh get over it, I will buy you a new TV set. Will you smile happily, take the set and walk away? Perhaps, for that is how the warped law and order system of our country works. What then is the deterrent for the robber? Why would he stop his illegal activity? Would he not rather play the odds- after all, what are the chances that one of his victims would find out who he is?

In the same way, the VW dealership (and company, which despite their posturings definitely has an obligation and responsibility to their customer here) will continue to indulge in their nonsense- allowing SAs to take joyrides in customer cars, covering up any damage caused in their possession etc.- till a suitable deterrent presents itself. Obviously legal proceedings are not the answer- anyone following harishv's now-bordering-ludicrous court case against Skoda knows this. Sad as it seems, the only language these guys understand is that of violence and retribution. Would they dare try these stunts with a political personality's car for example? I have seen how they shove these to the front of the line, ensure extra care when taking care of them etc. Because they KNOW that if they screw up they will end up screwed.
Having said that, we can't all be expected to change society overnight and what V ineet did is exacly what I would have recommended to anyone I know if it had happened to them. Sad but true.
noopster is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 14:43   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Spot on noopster. This has as much to do with simple rule/respect of law as anything else.

But, is it just India? No! The goings on of used-car dealers are depsised around the world, and new-car outlets do not necessarily have better morals. The only thing we can say is that some governments have put in place laws to protect the consumer, and that those laws do have some teeth.
Old 29th September 2012, 13:22   #157
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: KSM Motors smashes customer's Jetta on a joyride. EDIT: New replacement car!

Good show & congratulations! VW / Dealer did the right thing with the replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It took them weeks.
Oh come on! This isn't a decision that can be taken overnight and approvals have to be taken from various levels.

Whether early or late, a replacement car is the absolutely correct way to end the customer's nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The threat of- to put it bluntly- getting one's pants sued off is a very effective deterrent in most developed countries for companies to stay in line and behave themselves.
Giving a replacement car is as good a deterrent as any. In such a case, it's the dealer that foots a majority of the losses. You can be sure that there will be disciplinary action & corrective measures to avoid a repeat occurrence. If there is one thing a businessman hates, it's losses.

Also, dealership personnel crashing cars happens in foreign countries too. Depending on the lawsuit (if at all), the dealer either repairs the car, repairs the car and throws in some freebies or gives a replacement car.

Vineet has gotten the best possible resolution, irrespective of the country he lives in or applicable laws.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 13:31   #158
BHPian

Re: KSM Motors smashes customer's Jetta on a joyride. EDIT: New replacement car!

Fully agree with GTO's post above.

Congratulations to Vineet on his new car. Hope he updates this thread with the final details.
Old 29th September 2012, 13:34   #159
BHPian

I agree this is the best possible solution and kudos to VW on resolving this in absolutely the right way.
Old 29th September 2012, 13:50   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh come on! This isn't a decision that can be taken overnight and approvals have to be taken from various levels.
On the contrary, it is a decision that can, and should, be taken by the MD of the dealer on she same day.

We smashed up your car. 100% our responsibility. We will put things right

What is so difficult about that?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 16:03   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
are we now saying it is OK to break the law as long as you make recompense for it?

Take a rather extreme analogy: somebody robs my house, and I catch him somehow. He then says Oh get over it, I will buy you a new TV set. Will you smile happily, take the set and walk away?

Would they dare try these stunts with a political personality's car for example? I have seen how they shove these to the front of the line, ensure extra care when taking care of them etc.
noopster, I totally agree with each and every one of your sentences. The mentality quoted above has gained too much popularity in our daily lives. Our society is getting highly polarized. Many avoidable situations and conditions are being purposefully manufactured by crooks so that money can be extracted out of others. Brand name is one of them and many of us have fallen for it. Moreover, even those who are/were straightforward are being forced into manipulating something or the other, for some of their basic needs too.

It is the need of the hour that the current generation think in the above directions and possibly find some solutions. But how? Personally I am having a dearth of quick ideas. Maybe collectively, we as an educated and responsible forum, can/should discuss this over a thread and come up with bright solutions to contribute to the overall betterment of our society. Maybe, this thread itself is one of that sort, as we were able to make the world be aware of such callous malpractices.

Coming to the main topic, I am happy for Vineet and happy that I could do my smallest bit of effort by shooting off a tough worded feedback on Volkswagen's international site, to which I got a standard reply though.
Old 29th September 2012, 16:16   #162
BHPian

Congratulations to Vineet for the new car. Very heartening to hear this news , good that VW stepped in to resolve the problem but the time taken to resolve the issue is not justified. especially when its clear they are the problem makers.
I just hope there would be straightforward and strong complaint redressal procedures in this country and the customer would not have to create this hue and cry to be heard.

Logged in a fight of my own with Audi to resolve issues on my Q5. Don't know what is with "Ze Germans".
Old 30th September 2012, 07:42   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetsh08
So this happened...FINALLY!

Thanks guys!
Congratulations Vineet, on getting your issue sorted out as well as for your new car. I hope the dealer covered all costs and didn't burden you with the "tax, registration, etc". Further I hope they treat you (and the car) properly upon future services.

Personally, although VW and KSM did the right thing, the way it was handled plus the time taken leaves a sour taste and makes me stay away from the brand.
Old 30th September 2012, 18:00   #164
BHPian

Here, I have to agree with Noopster. True-vineeth got a fair deal, but not because the dealer was here. But he was forced to as Vineeth was ready to fight and he was powerful enough with good contacts. What if, this incident was happened with another more mortal like one of us?

In any battle, the powerful one wins.Shouldn't laws be there to take care of those who are not that powerful & was given a raw deal.In our land, where law is inadequate/slow, forums like these are fighting the case of common man and team-bhp can be proud for getting our voices heard!
Old 24th April 2013, 09:05   #165
BHPian

Just saw a public notice by VW in today's TOI quoting that KSM Motors, Mumbai, is not longer their authorised dealer.

http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/...=&publabel=TOI

Is this action a result of this particular incident ?

Thanks,
Yogesh.

Last edited by yogeshnagpal : 24th April 2013 at 09:07. Reason: Added the TOI link
yogeshnagpal is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed