Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2012, 10:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Paid for Duster 110. Renault Dealer (GenNext Motors) gave us a Duster 85 instead!

I don't seem too happy praising Renault. There is no other way out for any manufacturer or dealer as this is a clear case of cheating according to the laws of the land, especially when there is solid evidence in the form of invoicing for a higher model. In the first case, Renault should have kept a strict vigil on all fraudster dealers rather than getting themselves into a soup and being apologetic later.

Out of academic interests, I would like to know the reason given by the dealer and Renault for the untoward incident. Regarding compensation, personally, I would leave it to the dealer / Renault to offer their compensation then me bargaining for any, as I want to put the whole issue behind and be as amicable as possible henceforth especially when I was ready to settle the issue without even an FIR.

Last edited by thoma : 16th September 2012 at 10:19.
thoma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 16:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Paid for Duster 110. Renault Dealer (GenNext Motors) gave us a Duster 85 instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
...So for now, things seem settled. Now need to have the car registered and seek out a compensation for the entire harassment. Any suggestions?
That's a great ending.

I guess the swap was readily accepted because the 85PS was not registered at all. Were they trying to deliberately delay the registration so that they could swap the car as they did now? Do you suspect a foulplay here?

Also, it would be nice if you could post the VIN of that 85PS version here, so that the used car is not passed on to any unsuspecting buyer.

All said and done, if you had exercised a little extra bit of caution thru' out the entire process prolly the whole saga could have been avoided. That said the Dealer's act cannot be justified at all.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 16th September 2012 at 16:16.
Old 16th September 2012, 16:55   #33
BHPian

The 85Ps car they told me is going to be used as a Test Drive / Display Vehicle. Renault India isn't going to let the dealership sell it off either as a new car or as a second hand car through a DSA. I kinda checked this out, cos one of my friends was ready to pick up the car at 20% less.

In the thread I forgot to add that the Dealership didn't allow us to do a PDI citing stockyard timing and personale issues.

The dealership and Renault India claims the entire debacle was a process error (they wouldn't be able to say otherwise). But I don't understand how such a big error could take place. Also the dealer's GM's attitude post us bringing the "error" to his notice was very poor. His actions showed an unapologetic manner and no great concern to resolve the situation. Obviously they held up the registration of the vehicle because they knew somewhere knew they might not be able to get away with the crime.

An investigation by Renault India is still pending on the issue. Len Curran informed me the same would start tomorrow. He has also taken my suggestion on board about the registration premiums and said they'd implement norms that would let customers do their own registration if they so desired. And also cap the max incidental expenses. He informed me the Depot Charges were actual charges Dealers incurred for the Stockyards. I debated this, with the point that then the same should be incorporated in the car price and should be tax invoiced rather than dealers giving us a debit note.

I have spoken to a few friends and a couple from the Automobile Industry as well. They have all advised me to ask for a compensation anywhere between 20 to 40 percent of the car value.
mohandasnikhil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 17:14   #34
BHPian

Good to know that your story had a happy ending. This was quite a fraud, passing off one car as another.
At least this proves a manufacturer can be stern enough with their dealer to solve customer issues as huge as this real quick, even if they are the only dealer for India's biggest city.
VW-Skoda really are to be blamed for abetting their crook dealers, through their nonchalance!

Last edited by one-77 : 16th September 2012 at 17:18.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:09   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Paid for Duster 110. GenNext Motors gave us a Duster 85 instead. EDIT : Solved (P

Glad to know you are saved by the company.

I still can not digest how they had allowed the delivery of the car to someone other than who had paid/booked in the first place!!!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 12:20   #36
BHPian

Re: Paid for Duster 110. GenNext Motors gave us a Duster 85 instead. EDIT : Solved (P

I would strongly suggest you to find out if this was a case of genuine error or an attempt to con you. The cheap tricks dealer use to fleece customers is a known fact to all of us. But trying to con an exisiting cutomer like you, one who comes from a business background, is shocking. I wonder how they would treat first time buyers of Pulse!

I think you let them get away easy, you have a clear case of fraud here. These guys could have faced jail term if you hadn't gone easy. Now that you have a noose around their neck, squeeze them on behalf of all the innocent customers who got fleeced by them.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 12:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Alls well that ends well. Good to know that you're problem was eventually sorted out Nikhil. Seems to really be a process error, although the lies about the 5 speed gearbox and the attitude of the GM are alarming.

Atleast Renault did revert soon, not that they had much of an option, considering that there was clear documentary evidence of fraud in this case. Makes it imperative that people follow the PDI in all cases.

Hope the new car is working satisfactorily.
Old 17th September 2012, 21:59   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Shocking to hear the entire episode, But glad that you have got the 110 spec'd Duster finally.

Also now i cant wait when RENAULT ( The Dealership ) would by mistake deliver a 110 to a 85 hp customer & see weather the customer comes back for a replacement or happily accepts it
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 13:20   #39
BHPian

Quote:
The 85Ps car they told me is going to be used as a Test Drive / Display Vehicle. Renault India isn't going to let the dealership sell it off either as a new car or as a second hand car through a DSA. I kinda checked this out, cos one of my friends was ready to pick up the car at 20% less.

In the thread I forgot to add that the Dealership didn't allow us to do a PDI citing stockyard timing and personale issues.

The dealership and Renault India claims the entire debacle was a process error (they wouldn't be able to say otherwise). But I don't understand how such a big error could take place. Also the dealer's GM's attitude post us bringing the "error" to his notice was very poor. His actions showed an unapologetic manner and no great concern to resolve the situation. Obviously they held up the registration of the vehicle because they knew somewhere knew they might not be able to get away with the crime.

An investigation by Renault India is still pending on the issue. Len Curran informed me the same would start tomorrow. He has also taken my suggestion on board about the registration premiums and said they'd implement norms that would let customers do their own registration if they so desired. And also cap the max incidental expenses. He informed me the Depot Charges were actual charges Dealers incurred for the Stockyards. I debated this, with the point that then the same should be incorporated in the car price and should be tax invoiced rather than dealers giving us a debit note.

I have spoken to a few friends and a couple from the Automobile Industry as well. They have all advised me to ask for a compensation anywhere between 20 to 40 percent of the car value.
Hi Mohan,

This is truly shocking how a dealership tried (unintentionally?) to pass on a lower variant to you. I feel its more of a clerical error on their part than their desire to really fleece you. I don't think that in today's day and age, it's so easy to fool an Indian Consumer.

How they did try to fleece you was with the depot charges, insurance and higher RTO registration charges. At least now in future, they will have second thoughts about charging extra for these items from unsuspecting consumers (i hope)

Let me also assure you that Renault India and the Dealership management were only so courteous and accommodating with you cause they knew you have them by the scruff of their neck with all the paperwork mentioning a 100ps Model. You had a watertight case and somebody would have surely seen the inside of a prison cell and you would've walked away with a heavier wallet from all this, which I think you will still do

Please don't think of foregoing any compensation from them as they have earned quite a bit by charging illegal premiums and inflated insurance and RTO charges from many a customers. Please do share your final settlement details here with all of us.

Wishing you a happy and stress free ownership of you new Duster *thumbs up*

Cheers!!!

Note From Team-BHP Support-Staff: Only 2 smilies allowed per post. Thanks!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th September 2012 at 01:50. Reason: see note in post :)
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 18:54   #40
BHPian

Good that this got / is getting resolved.

No fault of the lovely new possession - the brand new car .. which should take the center stage now!

Looking forward to an ownership thread and pretty pictures soon!
Old 18th September 2012, 23:40   #41
BHPian

What is shocking about this whole story is that the dealer and the company have got away without any legal problems just by giving the customer what he had paid for in the first place .
If Renault (viewed as a premium car maker) is getting away with this nonsense why not trust your neighbouring friendly USED car dealer after all most people buy new to escape from the so called "unethical practices''allegedly employed by your FNG/Used car dealer.
sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 19:52   #42
BHPian

The error was surely at Renault plant. Dealer cannot invoice a 115 as 85 or vice versa because the software does not allow that. Dealer accounts/billing guy just picks the chassis no: from SAP or similar software & there is a limit on price variation that can be entered in the system (accounting for variations in regional taxes, VAT, duty, octroi etc etc).

The one's to be @$$ kicked are the personnel at final check in the Renault assembly line & the PDI technician/in charge of GenNext, since this glaring difference must have been noticed by them.

Renault top officials calling you is a give-away that dealer is not at fault. Anyway i feel that the entire episode was managed well by Renault.
Old 19th September 2012, 21:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
The one's to be @$$ kicked are the personnel at final check in the Renault assembly line & the PDI technician/in charge of GenNext, since this glaring difference must have been noticed by them.
If that was the case, the customer name that came along with the VIN should be verified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil
@mohandasnikhil, can you let us know if the 85bhp was allotted to you from the factory or adjusted to you by the dealer upon any booking cancellation? Refer http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2904816 for more info.

Last edited by thoma : 19th September 2012 at 21:05.
Old 19th September 2012, 21:40   #44
BHPian

Seems to be indeed like a process error, a huge one at that at the dealership, than a case of fraud!

Although just made me ponder what would have happened if it was the other way round, booking a 85ps vehicle and getting a 110ps one
Old 19th September 2012, 23:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Further to all this Ganesh Rasal called me and informed that they would deliver the new registered car today (i.e within 1 day) and also give back the extra Depot and Registration Charges.
EDIT: Spoke too soon, didn't read the whole thread.

Glad that the issue is sorted out. Post an ownership review soon.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 19th September 2012 at 23:49.

Most Viewed