Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2012, 10:19   #1

I have a road tax receipt but no registration number?!

I bought a new car from Udupi and went to register it in Bangalore. An agent did get the registration process done for me and got me back the Roadtax receipt, and said that I would get the RC book by Post withing 45 days..

He also promised to call back and let me know the car registration number the very same day of the registration. but its been 3 days and he is absconding..

I have the original road tax receipt with me along with original vehicle invoice and insurance copy, are these papers sufficient to drive my car around the city or am I missing something here.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: I have a road tax receipt but no registration number?!

Do you know the place of business that agent used to sit, might be worthwhile to pay him a visit personally or connect with some other RTO agents in the RTO office.

Without number i would not suggest driving the car around, you could do a few trips with (For REGN) plate at the back but i have seen cops stopping such cars and scrutinizing the papers.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

@umaengineering,

Safest way is wait for the RC, it will surely have the registration number. If you cant wait, then approach the RTO where the vehicle is registered and based on the Chassis/engine no, try to get the registration no information.

Surprising that you had to approach an agent to get the registration done, normally it is done by the dealer from where you purchased the car. Would you be making the number plates on you own expense once you get the Reg no?
Old 7th November 2012, 11:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving my Nano with road tax receipt and without any registration number for 1 months and so far have been lucky not to get caught by any cops. Anyway, if I get caught I have a genuine reason and This is India you know.....
Old 7th November 2012, 12:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Enquire at the RT Office and you can oget the number allotted which is usually done on the same day of registration.
Meanwhile you can drive the vehicle with the temporary registration number if you retained the copy of it as the original would have been submitted to the offic ealongwith the other documents.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 14:00   #6
BHPian

Check the respective State RTO website. For example, For Kerala RTO registered vehicles, we can get the allotted reg no by giving the Chasis no & Engine no. Go to http://www.keralamvd.gov.in and choose "Identify Vehicle" from the left-side menu.

There is a national registry too.. https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/face...rchDetails.jsp But this one expects the reg no to pull up details..
psvinay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 14:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Road tax receipt in Bangalore that I have seen does not have the vehicle registration number. Road tax is paid upfront and the Regn. number is issued later on the basis of some sequence.
Your best bet is to go to the RTO where your residence falls in, and check with the people there, giving your vehicle chassis and engine number.
In any case, it is alright to drive a vehicle for one month on temporary registration with the papers you currently possess.
Old 7th November 2012, 19:30   #8
BHPian

Re: I have a road tax receipt but no registration number?!

You can very well drive with the Tax recipet but not for long. I did it for around a month and that too in Bangalore. This is not illegal and if you have a valid reason then cops are bound to accept.

Go ahead, enjoy your new ride(keeping your papers handy) as cops tend to stop more looking at those Temp stickers.

Aloha
Shiv
Old 7th November 2012, 20:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
Check the respective State RTO website. For example, For Kerala RTO registered vehicles, we can get the allotted reg no by giving the Chasis no & Engine no. Go to http://www.keralamvd.gov.in and choose "Identify Vehicle" from the left-side menu.

There is a national registry too.. https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/face...rchDetails.jsp But this one expects the reg no to pull up details..

Well I received the registration number now ... the agent suprisingly turned up.. I have the registration number now..

However I tried on Vahan.nic.in and nothing showed up.. looks like it will be done once I receive the RC..
Old 7th November 2012, 22:14   #10
BHPian

This was a very surprising saga indeed! Did the agent have any explanation for having vanished into thin air for 3 days? Still curious to know why the dealer didnt get this done for you, was it because it was bought in Udipi and you wanted the registration to be done in Bangalore? Do not rest easy until you receive the RC smart card by post.
Old 8th November 2012, 13:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
This was a very surprising saga indeed! Did the agent have any explanation for having vanished into thin air for 3 days? Still curious to know why the dealer didnt get this done for you, was it because it was bought in Udipi and you wanted the registration to be done in Bangalore? Do not rest easy until you receive the RC smart card by post.
The agent is still absconding, I just got an SMS conforming the registration number. Now I will be chasing him for my IND number plate..

The dealer in Udipi will only help if registration is done in Udipi and for that we need local address proof of Udipi, which I did not have.. Hence I have to go for registration all on my own in Bangalore ( which turned out to be a nightmare as RTO people did not cooperate because Rental agreement, tata indicom landline bills and Indane gas bills are not accepted proof of address in Bangalore RTO ..
Old 26th November 2012, 16:56   #12

I got my number plate today,

The Maruti Dealer at Bangalore arranged the same for me , that too completely free of cost.

I had reached out to the maruti guys and told them the complete story, it turned out that agent was a previous employee of maruti and has left his job the very same day he took advance from me. Hence Maruti took complete responsibility and got the job done in less than 24 Hrs..

Now I understand what it means when my peers used to say that customer service at maruti is great..
Old 11th January 2013, 19:16   #13
BHPian

Guys just today I got the RC for my Tambaram registered Liva. Registration was done through dealer i.e. Harsha Toyota. The RC mentions lifetime road tax paid, challan no. and date. But they have not given me the challan. Is the RC with the tax details enough?
Old 25th February 2013, 14:08   #14

You should ask for 'Life Time Tax Token' to your dealer.
The necessary papers to be kept in the vehicle are:
1. Registration Certificate
2. Insurance Certificate
3. Tax Token
4. PUC
5. Driving License
Old 21st June 2013, 14:32   #15
BHPian

Received my KA 53 registration today. Exactly 2 days short of 1 year after applying for re-registration (moving between states) ! I was relying only on the road tax receipt and application acknowledgement till now. Thankfully, was never pulled over.

Had to make multiple trips to KR Puram RTO. Once I was turned back saying that the other RTO has not yet replied. This was 3 months after application, and I was asked to wait for 2 more months.

The last trip caused my file, which was lying deep under the stack by now, waiting for a response from MP RTO, to be bumped up. I believe they would have taken a "no response" from the other RTO as an acknowledgement.

Proud to have done it on my own
black_rider is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks