Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 09:42   #136
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Customer's Q7 being misused by Audi Dealership @ Vakola. Caught by GPS Tracker

Quote:
Hence the disclaimer that there is a remote chance that the device was removed from Q7 but if that’s true, it has been plugged in some other car.
I think it's ridiculous for anyone to suggest that the device was fitted in another car. First off, the device is supposedly hidden, thus no one would know there is a GPS tracker behind the dash. Second, since the device has absolutely no utility value to a 3rd party, I can't think of any reason why someone would remove it and use it in another car.

Either ways:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoPurple View Post
There is a backup battery connected to the device which triggers an SMS alert from the Server in case the Car Charger Socket is plugged out while driving.
Is this only while driving, or even if the device is removed when the car is stationary? If someone did remove the device to move it to another car, it would have lost power, used the backup battery and triggered an SMS right?

Audi Mumbai West has been caught with its pants down. I suggest they do whatever they can to make it up to the Q7 owner, post an unconditional apology and implement additional security levels to ensure the same doesn't happen with any other customer's car.

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2012 at 09:43.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 09:46   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Customer's Q7 being misused by Audi Dealership @ Vakola. Caught by GPS Tracker

Quote:
we power the device using a Car Charger Circuit and hide the device under the dashboard so that only the Car Charger Plug is visible outside and no trace of device is found.
Does this mean that no one can easily disconnect (simply plug out) the device from the charger port? No. You yourselves have answered this. Quoted below.

Quote:
There is a backup battery connected to the device which triggers an SMS alert from the Server in case the Car Charger Socket is plugged out while driving.
So definitely, it is known to anybody who sits in the car that something is plugged to the socket and it can easily be plugged out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The SMS is sent only if the tracker is unplugged while the vehicle is moving. So, if it is removed when the vehicle is stationery, then no SMS is sent.
Hmm..right. So says TechnoPurple. But why should it be needed that the vehicle is moving? Isn't it directly connected to the battery via the charger port? Okay, no. The charger port is not alive till the ignition is turned on, right?

I wanted TechnoPurple to respond first before stating this. But since you said, it is not only a bug, but a stupid design; first of all to provide un-pluggable "tracking" device and then sending disconnection alerts only if the vehicle is moving (if that is the case)! Audi Mumbai West can easily say that it (the plug from the socket, and nothing else) has been un-plugged for cleaning purpose, checking electrical points, by mistake etc.

On second thoughts, TechnoPurple should/had well know/n before hand that none of their/customer's claims on a joyride will withstand after providing an easily un-pluggable tracking device.

Last edited by thoma : 28th November 2012 at 10:03.
Old 28th November 2012, 10:36   #138

Dear Team BHPians,

Please find TechnoPurple’s response to confusion regarding back up battery and related battery disconnected SMS and Fluctuations in Data.

Battery Disconnected SMS:
There has been no battery disconnected event registered on the Server since the day Q7 had been given for servicing i.e 20th Nov. Hence no SMS got generated. Still we carried the disclaimer because the back- up battery is 540 mAh and lasts for about 5 hours. After 5 hours even the back-up battery drains down and if the Car Charger plug is un-plugged in that condition there will be no SMS sent as there is no power in the device to record the event. Hence we said that the device definitely gives an alert in case the vehicle is ‘Driving’. If the vehicle is parked, alerts depend on the % of battery left in the back-up battery.

To cut the long story short: These are the events that get registered on the Server in case the Tracker connected on Car Charger:

Vehicle Driving – Device uses power from main battery and sends out Driving Event

Vehicle Parked – Device uses power from back-up battery and sends out Parked Event till the back-up battery lasts. When the ignition is switched off in some vehicles power is immediately disconnected to the car charger and it sends battery disconnected event. In some vehicles like Q7, even when the ignition is switched off, car charger still draws power from the main battery and hence no battery disconnected event comes till the back-up battery is charged fully.

The fact that on 23rd Nov, data was received with Driving Event proves that it was connected in the vehicle as driving event does not come with an unplugged Car Charger plug.

I also agree that it is a very stupid design / installation procedure to have a un-pluggable device but this is only done in vehicles in which splicing the wires is not allowed. But the device itself is not visible at it has a long cable and is hidden under the dashboard of the vehicle.

As mentioned in earlier posts, only 1% of installation happens on Car Chargers and the remaining are wired using the wiring harness supplied with the device with in-built fuse and battery back-up.

Track on Un-Motor-able Road:

There have been data points received with Satellite Signal Strength of 4 (ideally it should be 6+). In such cases the fix is not accurate and it shows the Latitude – Longitude depending on the available satellites with assistance from A-GPS (Cell Towers)

I hope we have addressed the concerns raised so far.

Thanks and regards,

Amit Jain
Managing Director
TechnoPurple IT Solutions Pvt Ltd
Mumbai
TechnoPurple is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 10:45   #139
BHPian

Quote:
...To prevent any adverse effect on warranty in high end vehicles, we power the device using a Car Charger Circuit and hide the device under the dashboard so that only the Car Charger Plug is visible outside and no trace of device is found. There is a backup battery connected to the device which triggers an SMS alert from the Server in case the Car Charger Socket is plugged out while driving...
I second what "thoma" states in this regard. TechnoPurple says that the car charger plug is visible and no trace of device is found. Well, if the charger socket is seen, which is essentially one end of the device, why would anybody need look around for any other traces of the device? (Unless of course the device uses wireless electricity, but I think we are still some years away from that technology). This is even more evident since the device is an aftermarket accessory, not Audi's. Hence, it would have a separate wire or any sort of connection to the charger socket, thus making it extremely easy to work one's way to finding the device, no matter how well it is hidden. On the other hand, an accessory like the HU, for example, would be wired in to the entire car's system and hence its connection to the power source would not be as distinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
...I wanted TechnoPurple to respond first before stating this. But since you said, it is not only a bug, but a stupid design; first of all to provide un-pluggable "tracking" device and then sending disconnection alerts only if the vehicle is moving (if that is the case)! Audi Mumbai West can easily say that it (the plug from the socket, and nothing else) has been un-plugged for cleaning purpose, checking electrical points, by mistake etc...
Disclaimer: I do not wish to criticize TechnoPurple here. I have complete faith in Mr.Jain's post and his purpose of trying to clear all doubts in the minds of forum members. However, going by what he is saying, it is my understanding that the design of the device is not suited to serving its true purpose, which is stealth tracking (Please correct me if I am wrong). However, I sincerely believe that there is probably some ambiguity in the description, or wrongful understanding of it, and due clarification will be provided. Thanks.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 28th November 2012 at 10:47.
Old 28th November 2012, 10:48   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Installation Procedure:
Standard Installation Procedures followed by TechnoPurple in 99% of installations requires splicing of 3 wires (Ignition, Power, Earthing) for any kind of vehicle from bike to truck. To prevent any adverse effect on warranty in high end vehicles, we power the device using a Car Charger Circuit and hide the device under the dashboard so that only the Car Charger Plug is visible outside and no trace of device is found. There is a backup battery connected to the device which triggers an SMS alert from the Server in case the Car Charger Socket is plugged out while driving.
Hence the disclaimer that there is a remote chance that the device was removed from Q7 but if that’s true, it has been plugged in some other car. I let the forum decide whether anyone removed the device – why, when, which car it was connected to.
Technopurple,

Can you please clarify the behaviour difference of your product between the two types of installations for the unplugging scenario - i mean installation using the charger socket and installation by splicing the wires.

Also, can you please help us understand how your product would behave if the charger plug was unplugged while the ignition is off and and then the ignition is turned on with the plug still disconnected? Will it still send the sms?

Quote:
But since you said, it is not only a bug, but a stupid design; first of all to provide un-pluggable "tracking" device and then sending disconnection alerts only if the vehicle is moving (if that is the case)!
We can let technopurple confirm it if this is the trade-off for not splicing the wires in which case, you have the power irrespective of the ignition. OR this is the same behaviour even in case of splicing the wires. I'd think it might be a trade off while using the charger socket since there is no way of determining if the device is plugged in or not when the ignition is turned off. I'm sure no customer would want an sms everytime the ignition is off.

Just to add, I dont see any benefit for the owner to cook up something like this and it clearly looks like a case of an errant employee of AMW going for a joyride and the AMW trying to cover it up to protect their 'name'. Since Audi India MD already spoke to Vishal as mentioned in one of the posts, we have to assume that Audi is definitely taking this issue seriously. (Even if they might be a little slow)

Last edited by bblost : 28th November 2012 at 11:33. Reason: Done. Thanks./
Old 28th November 2012, 11:03   #141
BHPian

The way some fellow BHPians are letting their creativity loose is hilarious and alarming at the same time! Infact, if I were Audi Mumbai West, i would have deputed senior personnel to stay glued to this thread and take note of some of the out of this world (albeit technically possible) conspiracy theories put up here to make out their case.
More surprising is the fact that most of us have no hands on experience with the Technopurple device, yet, with some help from google, tend to find possible flaws in it. I have only used GPS on mobile phones, and often, I have found myself projected to be driving on the rice fields running adjacent to the highway where I actually am, but the difference has always been marginal. I do not know whom to blame for this minor discrepancy, Nokia Maps? The GSM provider? The GPS tracking device on the phone? But even my layman's mind tends to think that this is mostly due to marginal errors in maps and the constantly moving vehicle which makes it look as if I'm doing some serious off-roading with my 4 lac low GC hatchback while infact I'm burning the tarmac at 100 kmph. You cannot realistically be expecting military class accuracy here. That said, are even the military class tracking devices flawlessly accurate?

From another point of thought, the Technopurple tracking device is seemingly very interesting by the looks of it ( no I have not seen it, not even googled for it). I think it looks like a miniature arc reactor or something. I mean why should anyone be otherwise so curious enough to try it in another car? Is there an in car display unit linked to it? Is there scope for a technician(without the consent of owners or TP) to read data from the device while he enjoys the joyride. Ohh, so it's a hidden device! You cannot impress your friends/girlfriends with such a gizmo right? I get it. It's the "it works on the Q7 does it work on the A4" syndrome. Some very inquisitive technicians they are. Further, they have spliced/cut another unsuspecting user's Ignition, Power, Earthing wires while refitting the device. I say bring that poor guy on board as well.

My point is:
Service centers have previously been charged and found guilty of misusing customer vehicles, the TP device worked as promised (tracked the vehicle's movement). The alarmed owner lost his night's sleep over his 1 crore car being taken for an unauthorized joyride. The owner is neither a rich-dads-spoilt-brat with oodles of free time, nor a failed bollywood actor trying a cheap publicity stunt. Prima facie, no malafide can be attributed to him. So which part is hard to believe in this?
As GTO has correctly pointed out, Audi Mumbai West has been caught with their pants down. This is as straightforward a case as can be. There is little to no scope for conjectures.

P.S.: I absolutely do not blame Audi or VAG for this incident, none should. This is just a case of a dealer going errant or just a lost soul taking advantage of lack or lapse of security at the service center, to which the dealer has to own up to. However, Audi India has to play an active role in resolution of the matter and by the looks of it, they are working on it.

Last edited by mi2n : 28th November 2012 at 11:12.
mi2n is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 11:21   #142
BHPian

The discussion is 10 pages long as of now!

TechnoPurple has done a great job in trying to explain the situation from their point of view. Hats off to them.

Why can't we expect Audi India to release a press report, or better, to post here on TBHP explaining their point of view?

I've always wanted manufacturers to be present on TBHP officially. They are inviting TBHP to official press test drive events, right? Recently even international! Hats off to TBHP for that! If official pages can be present on Facebook, I opine manufacturers should make themselves present here too! Where the petrol heads are present.
(I spend more time on TBHP than on FB)

Eagerly waiting for something official from Audi India...

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 28th November 2012 at 11:22.
Old 28th November 2012, 11:28   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Whatever the technical nuances of the gadget in question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Audi Mumbai West has been caught with its pants down. I suggest they do whatever they can to make it up to the Q7 owner, post an unconditional apology and implement additional security levels to ensure the same doesn't happen with any other customer's car.

As a car owner, I am very concerned about what happens to my car in the service garage. For example, last service my front logo went missing. They tried telling me it was on when I took delivery, that the service guys noticed nothing amiss when washing, etc. but I didn't budge. Finally they agreed to replace it FOC. That is actually a very small thing. Here there is a car which has been left in their custody and there are verified logs of it being joyridden halfway across the city.

Instead of even accepting that the customer has a case here the Audi showroom tried to cover up and offer "proof" that will be laughed out of any kangaroo court, let alone a real one.

Meanwhile, Gondal hobnobs with the MD and top management of Audi, gets his apology and moves on. Who loses? Audi Mumbai West because no reasonable person reading this thread will walk away with a sense that they have done their best to resolve a customer's complaint.Somehow thye come across as very untrustworthy in all this!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 11:30   #144

Now I am sure someone on this forum may have come across reports of a similar incident involving a man and his corvette which had its transmission wrecked by mechanics taking it out on an unauthorized and impromptu joyride.
Old 28th November 2012, 11:45   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Unfortunately none of your questions are going to get answered. Just like many other threads, in the end you will see a message that the issue is amicably resolved between the two parties with a non disclosure agreement. All the people who analysed the matter to wire will be left wondering what really happened..!!
I guess the outcome would be twitted or put on Facebook.

Quote:
I, Amit Jain, Managing Director - TechnoPurple IT Solutions Pvt Ltd. I have signed up on the forum specifically to refute the charges levelled against our company that the Audi Joyride Case is nothing but a ‘PR Exercise by TechnoPurple’.
Thank you clarifying this. It did raise doubts as your marketing team did not waste a moment to pitch the product in the market. I was speculating based on the happenings and if my statement hurt the company feeling i do appologies.

Quote:
Also, we have added disclaimer to all the information given to Mr. Vishal that a remote possibility can be that the tracker has been removed from Q7 and out in another vehicle and taken for the joyride.
I assume in such a scenario, the tracker would still show "Batmobile" as travelling even though the actual car is at a stand still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TecnoPurple View Post
Instead of questioning TechnoPurple, questions can also be raised about people highlighting other side of story and their relationship with Audi or ‘AMW’.
I can speak for myself here. I share the same Relation with Audi or 'AMW' as TechnoPurple shares with Mr.Gondal..that is of Company -Customer.

Quote:
Lets stick to the topic and preserve the community for its openness, integrity and genuineness of members.
. I am sure the company would have done a check on the Gps system to varify the information. If it is permissible to enlighten us with the findings..it would be appriciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I would like to know how many people posting on behalf of the dealership, "after visiting them and verifiying the facts", have done so for other incidents reported here.

If it is wrong to jump the gun and blame Audi, it is also wrong to question a persons motive and integrity. And people raising question just coz BMW offered a care package/ TechnoPurple called to pitch for their product, surely don't know a thing called 'Marketing'. I will take a shot at explain it to you
Speaking for myself..i post where i can contribute to the discussion and dont agree to things without applying my own mind and some amount of logic in the analysis.

Marketing when done before a conclusion or varification in such a case (dispute of sorts) does raise doubts, please do note both situations..Yuvraj singhs sickness and in the Audi Q7 case joyride that does amount to theft. The situation has not yet been resolved for the marketing to start. Atleast thats my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Unless evidence is presented, such statements should be kept on hold. This is not a "Scoop!" thread for god's sake !!
Maverick has also endorsed TechnoPurple pitching in to Navnit motors. The have also pitched in and are in discussions with Audi Mumbai South. I guess since Mr.Jain is with us, he can clarify weather my statement is a "Scoop!" or holds weight.
Old 28th November 2012, 11:54   #146
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

"also poor guy did not have money for Toll Sea Link" - didn't quite get this. Does this mean that the Audi turned around before a toll? Can Vishal get hold of the proof for this, like any CCTV footage at the toll?
The guy didnt go via Sea Link as there are CCTV cameras and high chances of him getting caught.

We appreciate Mr. Jain for his comments on the forum.
Old 28th November 2012, 11:57   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I have complete faith in Mr.Jain's post and his purpose of trying to clear all doubts in the minds of forum members.
I too appreciate the efforts by TechnoPurple to clarify on the forum.

Quote:
There has been no battery disconnected event registered on the Server since the day Q7 had been given for servicing i.e 20th Nov. Hence no SMS got generated.
Thanks a lot for clarifying further. Now it makes more sense that not many at the service center will be knowing to wait 5hrs before disconnecting the device. And further 5hrs before disconnecting from the other car to which it might have been allegedly connected.

And...

Quote:
In some vehicles like Q7, even when the ignition is switched off, car charger still draws power from the main battery and hence no battery disconnected event comes till the back-up battery is charged fully
So, does this not mean that in the Q7, the device is always live and any disconnections are sure to trigger an SMS, till we are finished with the power from the main battery and then the back-up battery?

But...

What I all wanted to put across is that I seriously doubt whether we can bring Audi Mumbai West to light, with an easily un-pluggable installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
The guy didnt go via Sea Link as there are CCTV cameras and high chances of him getting caught.
Thanks for that. It is difficult to perceive everything sitting at another corner of the country. Some other members just does not understand that most of us write from what we analyse information on the forum and elsewhere than seeing it and verifying everything in person.

Last edited by thoma : 28th November 2012 at 12:07.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:32   #148
Senior - BHPian

The Cigarette Lighter socket cuts off power supply when the ignition switch is on OFF position and therefore it would be on standby battery power on parked car, right?. Therefore invariably there won"t be any SMS alert if the TechnoPurple device is taken out from a parked car. I am not developing ideas on the episode but peeping into the technical aspect alone.
Old 28th November 2012, 14:19   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The Cigarette Lighter socket cuts off power supply when the ignition switch is on OFF position and therefore it would be on standby battery power on parked car, right?.
Only if its wired wrong.

The device would get power even when the ignition is OFF (the same way as your head unit does - to keep the settings / clock in memory). If you've noticed, you only lose those HU settings when the battery is completely disconnected, not when you turn off the ignition.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th November 2012 at 14:08.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 16:41   #150
BHPian

Technopurple, I have a question-What security I get if I have installed your security device and my car is parked somewhere for a duration of 6 hours or more? Some thug can safely disconnect the device and steal my car, wouldn't they? (I assume, car thieves smart enough to tamper my primary security- immobilizer, will know were to look for other security devices as well)
Nobs
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks