Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 11:45   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Customer's Q7 being misused by Audi Dealership @ Vakola. Caught by GPS Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Is it possible for someone to remove that Purple device and put it on another car which was being used for a joyride?
Or does the Purple device sprout wings and fly across town?
Yes this is a possibility to remove the portable device and put it on another car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Woo hoo conspiracy theories. They seem to be the rage now-a-days. (Also its verified not varified). I'll try and answer most of the things you've mentioned here as someone who knows whats been happening first-hand. Cool?
Thank you for correcting the spelling. I guess this would be biased towards Mr.Gondal right.

Quote:
How is this relevant? The people came, took the interview and left. No one has control over what they print. They never asked Vishal for all this information. A simple google search will yield you information about Vishal and what he does. Disclaimer, I work for Vishal but we've been friends for long before I started working for him.
It is relevant as wrong information is given out. If the media made a mistake, then thats their issue, i would state the facts in my post and thats what i have done.

Quote:
He was out of station, he saw the update at 3am in the night and he never went to the service station, the car was collected by the driver. He posted online because thats what he does, he is a social media nut (His 13000+ Subscribers on Facebook and 22,000+ followers on Twitter is proof of that). Everybody who knows Vishal knows that he didn't do this for Publicity or to defame Audi or to sell that GPS gadget.
I am sure since you are a close friend or any member of his family could have been informed to make a complain and varify the fact. The figure of 13000 subscribers on facebook and 22000+ followers on twitter does raise a question in the mind was this a means of feeding them something new to keep them hooked on. Well the GPS company is using this incident to pitch to automobile companies..so i would not rule this possibility out. I am not attacking anyone i have mentioned i have written as per what i have read on his Facebook post and what was in the news paper..if there are holes in what was printed by both of them that raised doubts i have asked. So sorry i did not see anything on your avtar about your involvement with Vishal, now i know.

Quote:
Vishal has the GPS log of that 11 km drive (I can post that if you want), he is not challenging that, he is challenging the register. The register is not maintained within 12am - Opening time anyways. Also when the GPS loses the satellites (this is my theory and I speak from experience using other trackers) it just shows a straight line between last known location and current location. Also again, he doesn't have any personal vendetta against AMW I have no idea why you brought that up again? And the part about the 30+ cars?? He is till date waiting for a response on this issue.
The register as you have also seen has logs after his car was driven too, i dont see how it would be tampered, but unless you have phisically seen if the page was torn and a page gap is there how can this be taken as tampered. The service center would log a car that comes in after it shuts, so if there is not entry past 12am there was no car which entered or left right..atleast thats my understanding. I am not agreeing or denying how the tracker in connection to a missing link works..as i have mentioned i am going by the things he posted on facebook and the press. As far as i know as i type he has a meeting with Audi India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw2973060
Although I will agree with the fact that you are analyzing whats been happening with a keen eye, your statements do come off as biased. Since you contacted AMW but never got in touch with me. You blame the tracker and Vishal on a number of occasions but never remotely accept the possibility what happened to be the truth.
I have mentioned before i have analyed with a cool unbiased mind about the incident. I do not have anything against Mr.Gondal or AMW. My cars do go to Amw and so i would be concerned too. I would again like to bring to ur notice..i did not see a tag on your avtar saying you work with mr Gondal and should be the one point destination for any querries regarding the incident. I have posted without going through any of the other posts so as to keep things straight in my head. I still do blame both..Vishal for not having made a complaint and to varify the truth before taking a hurried decision and the tracker with the possibility of being faulty or providing the wrong info after all it is a machine and is an external portable device fitted on the cigrette lighter. I am not a yes man to agree with everything that is written or said..i have my own mind and it asks questions.

Quote:
Just to set the record straight, Vishal is a well known VC but does not hold any stake in the GPS tracker company. He called me recently asking about this Team-Bhp post where people are taking pot-shots at his integrity and questioning why he brought this to light. I would like to further clarify there is no ill will between AMW or Audi in general and Vishal. He is just awaiting an explanation on this to his satisfaction. Just like a normal man he is worried and scared about his car. When MINI sent over the car, he called me first thing. I actually drove the Cooper S Countryman and clicked that picture, we put up the picture because its a brilliant marketing exercise by BMW and they need to be applauded for that, and not because of some big conspiracy. Aaaand I am tired of typing now.
I am not saying he should not have brought it to light..i completly support him on this, what i am saying he was rash and hasty in doing so. The right way would be to varify things and then go to the media. If a person was scared he would make a formal complaint and try to varify things not go to the media and social forums. The police would register his complaint under theft even if it was a joyride that took place.

Quote:
Also for the people writing this off as a GPS malfunction, with data in such vivid detail with timestamps, heading, speed etc. doesn't convince you I don't know what will. Unfortunately this is the only data Vishal has, and we've put it up for discussion and its certainly a possibility (I've explained above regarding the errors) but its highly unlikely.
There is a possibility of the gps unit not being accurate and having flaws in it. Let me give you an example..my friends car gps showed the car moving at 3kmph at night while the car was in a locked garage at home with his SUV parked in front of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
WOW! This looked fishy right from the beginning, and speedy's comments are just re-enforcing the same.

What nailed it was receiving a call from Techno-Purple asking if we would like to install GPS trackers on BMW's (Me being an ex employee at a BMW dealership). Since I was busy could not take much details, but for sure they would have advertised this incident!

Also it is not possible to tamper with odometer readings at an Authorised dealer using official equipment (Speaking of BMW) and I am sure Audi, Merc folllows the same.

Again BMW/Mini pitching in immediately to Mr. Gondals rescue does make it look like a big PR campaign!!
I agree with you..prima facia it looks like a PR excercise by Techno purple as they have been approching dealerships using the incident as an example to promote their product. I dont rule out the possibility of Bmw/Mini trying their hand at it.

In a Dealership with official monitored equiptment nothing can be tampered, the Car log would register it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
I don't know why people are saying its a big deal to tamper with digital odos. I have seen such tampering happen on a number of ocassions and on cars of all shapes and sizes - including the European ones. And if you think that it is time consuming and expensive to alter digital odos - think again. Last month in front of my own eyes a car dealer sent over a Merc to reset odo to a person who does these kind of things. The car came back in less than an hour clocked back 40k kms. All for a royal sum of Rs 500.

Honestly I am very much inclined to believe Mr Gondal's version of things until Audi comes out with better proofs (CCTV footage of their workshop gates for instance) than pics of the odo and their in and out register. The second one is really funny
It is not done at the dealerships with official equiptment..

As far as i am aware, Audi has provided Mr.Gondal with the CCTV video of the gate and of where the car was standing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
If it is possible it is a possibility. How and where in Vishal's Audi was this tracker stuff mounted.
The tracker was mounted via the cigrette lighter socket in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Yes its actually possible what you say and most probably is what happened here. But I think to deter security taking customer vehicles on joyrides the dealership must have installed CCTVs. So unless they are also in collusion with security, at least the CCTV footage should give some answers.
They do have cctv camera's and the footage has been shown to the owner of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I find this line of reasoning rather repugnant because it seems to come from an attempt to malign the man, than just question facts (agree to the rest about the theory around the type of GPS device etc). Not for a second is there a sliver of logic that trusts any of Vishals's word - wonder why?

Let me ask a different question - which high profile employee of Disney would want to do such a random stunt? I mean, Disney etc would have clear ethical codes - his job can come under a cloud, if he were to be proven to be a fraud?!

Would you do that in his job? I never would.
If stating the fact and the truth hurts then i cannot help in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Usually GPS trackers are hidden underneath the dashboard or concealed elsewhere and discreetly wired to an external antennae. Just went through the technopurple site and it isn't mentioned anywhere that the GPS tracker was exposed and ran off a 12v charger.
There are two types on is as mentioned in your post that gets hidden underneat the dash board and the other is a 12 volt charger system that runs via the cigrette lighter socket. Mr.Gondal had the latter cigrette lighter on so as tonot hampr warrenty of his vehicle. My friend has the same tracker used by Mr Gondal for his vehicle.

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2012 at 13:46. Reason: Do NOT make personal comments against anyone, whether member or non-member
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 12:53   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Customer's Q7 being misused by Audi Dealership @ Vakola. Caught by GPS Tracker

Quote:
Woo hoo conspiracy theories. They seem to be the rage now-a-days. (Also its verified not varified). I'll try and answer most of the things you've mentioned here as someone who knows whats been happening first-hand. Cool?

Vishal has the GPS log of that 11 km drive (I can post that if you want), he is not challenging that, he is challenging the register. The register is not maintained within 12am - Opening time anyways. Also when the GPS loses the satellites (this is my theory and I speak from experience using other trackers) it just shows a straight line between last known location and current location. Also again, he doesn't have any personal vendetta against AMW I have no idea why you brought that up again? And the part about the 30+ cars?? He is till date waiting for a response on this issue.

Also for the people writing this off as a GPS malfunction, with data in such vivid detail with timestamps, heading, speed etc. doesn't convince you I don't know what will. Unfortunately this is the only data Vishal has, and we've put it up for discussion and its certainly a possibility (I've explained above regarding the errors) but its highly unlikely.
Quickdraw, could you confirm whether the GPS device used in this Q7 was the portable kind connected to the cigarette lighter or if its the fixed kind?

technopurple sells two kinds of vehicle gps tracker, one is wired into the car which require wire splicing and the other is a portable unit which is plugged into the cigarette lighter. The former would affect vehicle warranty as per them since it requires wire splicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Yes this is a possibility to remove the portable device and put it on another car.

Last edited by Sankar : 27th November 2012 at 12:56.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 13:47   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : Team-BHP does NOT permit personal attacks, irrespective of whether the person is a member or not. The personal bits from multiple posts over the last 3 pages have been removed.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 14:36   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Why would anyone want to purposefully install a
GPS tracker in a car that they intend to take on a joyride?
I am only stating a possibility not the actual event. A possibility is that the GPS device was removed from the said Q7 and placed in another car. This other car could have been taken away by someone who did not know this GPS device was there. Again, like any other conspiracy theory it is only a possibility to be considered. I did not say this definitely happened.

We can speculate a lot about what actually happened but nothing will come out of it till all parties involved stick to their stories. Dealer will not admit to a mistake, said person says he did not post for social-network-fame and Purple-whatever device will use it to bolster publicity/ sales.
Old 27th November 2012, 14:41   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw

I would like to further clarify there is no ill will between AMW or Audi in general and Vishal. He is just awaiting an explanation on this to his satisfaction. Just like a normal man he is worried and scared about his car.
Audi CEO on twitter said he is personally looking into the matter. Does anyone familiar with the parties actually know where the issue stands as of now? Ball in who's court? Is the matter closed, still under inquiry or what?
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 14:54   #111
BHPian

The Techno Purple device requires a sim card to work right? The location is picked up from cell phone towers. That might be the reason why the tracking data shows mangrove, railway tracks etc ?

Edit : It does seem to work on GSM. At least that is what the FAQ section on their website says. Read here

Quote:
Internal GPS & GSM Antennas

Storage of tracking data in areas with no GSM coverage

PIN protected SIM Card to prevent misuse

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 27th November 2012 at 15:12.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 15:06   #112
BHPian

Forbes too have picked up the story - The Curious Case of The Sleepwalking Audi
http://forbesindia.com/blog/business...pwalking-audi/

Last edited by lloydofcochin : 27th November 2012 at 15:07.
Old 27th November 2012, 15:14   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mod Note : Team-BHP does NOT permit personal attacks, irrespective of whether the person is a member or not. The personal bits from multiple posts over the last 3 pages have been removed.
Thanks for this GTO. I was also getting the feeling that this thread was also turning into a "Guilty until proven innocent" thing both for Mr. Gondal and for AMW/Audi. It was time an unbiased view was taken and the issue in question was discussed on facts rather than name pointing.

Coming to the thread and issue, It does appear that the SA in question did not pull out the 12V mounted GPS tracker before going out. If indeed he did so, there is a possibility that it was installed on another vehicle. But as Selfdrive mentions, this is only speculation unless we get the real facts.
I am eagerly waiting for the outcome too. As it is to do with VW group, I have a tendency to follow related threads.

Is it just me or is VW having a huge following (Critics and fans) on TBHP where each thread will run into a few pages in no time. It at least elicits the most responses and opinions compared to other manufacturers, myself included.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 15:15   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
The Techno Purple device requires a sim card to work right? The location is picked up from cell phone towers. That might be the reason why the tracking data shows mangrove, railway tracks etc ?
A dedicated GPS device wont need a SIM. Sim is required for AGPS (Assisted GPS - using the cell phone tower to calculate approx location thingy) devices. A dedicated GPS can be very accurate (again depends on hardware though). On my mobile phone the GPS locks within 5m!! It is able to show my location on our jogging track with great accuracy!

While almost everybody (except speedy) was so quick to jump in and condemn the dealer (isint that akin to "its always the fault of the bigger vehicle" mentality), arent there unanswered questions here:
1. How to prove those logs are from the device in the Q7 given for servicing? Is there any specific and unique signature from the GPS device on the logs that can prove that all of them are from the same device and that the said device was in the car! I am just asking this because this kind of question might be raised in the court if this matter goes sub-judice.
2. Has Mr. Gondal already gone to the police?
3. Accuracy of the GPS device itself. Has any independent body certified how accurate Techno Purple's device is.
4. Why people are willing to accept Mr. Gondal's GPS logs (without even knowing him in person) but not the logs from ANW?

Again, not trying to insinuate anyone as that should not be our job. These questions just popped in my mind when I thought more about this matter.

Last edited by joslicx : 27th November 2012 at 15:37.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 15:24   #115
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately none of your questions are going to get answered. Just like many other threads, in the end you will see a message that the issue is amicably resolved between the two parties with a non disclosure agreement. All the people who analysed the matter to wire will be left wondering what really happened..!!
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 16:08   #116

Dear Team BHPians,

I, Amit Jain, Managing Director - TechnoPurple IT Solutions Pvt Ltd. I have signed up on the forum specifically to refute the charges levelled against our company that the Audi Joyride Case is nothing but a ‘PR Exercise by TechnoPurple’.

TechnoPurple is an company of great repute in the GPS Tracking Domain in India and has been awarded at forums like The Economic Times – Power of Ideas, Department of Science & Technology – Govt of India, IIM Ahmedabad, iWeekend, Proto.in.

Also, we are not a ‘fly by night’ operator in this domain which needs to cook up these kind of stories to lure customers. In the last 2.5 yrs of operation, we have heavily invested in the development - stability of GPS tracking device, establishing services across India and software development catering to various verticals like schools, transporters, refrigerated vehicles, transporters, chemical & heavy industries, public transport and passenger information systems. Our focus has always been enterprise oriented and individual/private vehicles account for only a minuscule fraction of total devices we track. Our services are used by the likes of Reserve Bank of India, MSRTC, BASF, Gammon, Suzlon, DAVP, Ingersoll Rand to name a few and these clients trust our integrity.

Further I would like to allay fears that Mr. Vishal Gondal has invested in TechnoPurple and is promoting Audi Joyride Case on social networks like Facebook and Twitter so that TechnoPurple gets to sell additional devices. I would like to assure the community that TechnoPurple has not diluted any equity till take and relationship with Mr. Vishal Gondal is purely a Company – Customer relationship. Also, TechnoPurple does not have any linkage with BMW nor it has anything against Audi.

We got involved in this only because TechnoPurple’s Tracker was connected in Mr. Vishal’s Audi Q7. Our customers manage their own accounts and we do not have any access whatsoever once the password is changed. This news came to our knowledge only when TechnoPurple was tagged in Mr. Vishal’s post on Facebook. Subsequently, Mr. Vishal requested all the snapshots from 20th Nov (when the vehicle left his home and reached the workshop) to 23rd Nov (when the joyride actually happened). Also, we have added disclaimer to all the information given to Mr. Vishal that a remote possibility can be that the tracker has been removed from Q7 and out in another vehicle and taken for the joyride.

TechnoPurple’s name got publicised only when Mumbai Mirror carried the news on 2nd page on Nov 24 and we had no role to play in that.

I hope Team BHPians will find the arguments listed above convincing enough to stop posting personal attacks against our company TechnoPurple. It has reached here after years of hardwork and incidents like these can destroy the reputation in seconds. We are open to allow community members to test our GPS tracking hardware with its certification, software with IT infrastructure and installation procedures. Instead of questioning TechnoPurple, questions can also be raised about people highlighting other side of story and their relationship with Audi or ‘AMW’. Lets stick to the topic and preserve the community for its openness, integrity and genuineness of members.

Warm regards,

Amit Jain
Managing Director
TechnoPurple IT Solutions Pvt Ltd
Mumbai

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2012 at 16:45. Reason: Adding paragraph spaces for better readability
TechnoPurple is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 17:10   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

See, that's proactive.
Although it was not required, since TP is just a vendor whose product was used. The gripe is between Audi dealer and the gent. Still TP stepped up to the plate.
So many ways in which dealer could have been more customer centric in responses.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 17:16   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Instead of questioning TechnoPurple, questions can also be raised about people highlighting other side of story and their relationship with Audi or ‘AMW’.
I would like to know how many people posting on behalf of the dealership, "after visiting them and verifiying the facts", have done so for other incidents reported here.

If it is wrong to jump the gun and blame Audi, it is also wrong to question a persons motive and integrity. And people raising question just coz BMW offered a care package/ TechnoPurple called to pitch for their product, surely don't know a thing called 'Marketing'. I will take a shot at explain it to you.

Yuvraj Singh was signed as brand ambassador for Birla Sun Life in 2009. In 2011 he was diagnosed with Cancer and they shot an Ad about it. They are promoting their product and such live examples make their case stronger. It happens all around us, when malaria is on the rise companies like All-out, Odomos increase their ads. In this case if BMW/ TechnoPurple is piggybacking on this issue to pitch their product, I do not see anything wrong with it. Unless, you are one of those conspiracy theorist who try to find an angle in everything!

P.S I have no relation to anyone/ companies realted to this discussion. I hope people take the same level of interest in other cases like Mr. Harish's and try to find the truth and get justice to him.

Last edited by mac187 : 27th November 2012 at 17:31.
mac187 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 17:23   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoPurple View Post

I hope Team BHPians will find the arguments listed above convincing enough to stop posting personal attacks against our company TechnoPurple. It has reached here after years of hardwork and incidents like these can destroy the reputation in seconds.
I think we need to respect the sentiment of the company and the message by it's MD.

All posts which suggest that the Audi joyride is a PR event by Techno Purple should be deleted. Speculation is going to do no good, it is only probably going to harm the company's reputation.

For example:

Quote:
prima facia it looks like a PR excercise by Techno purple as they have been approaching dealerships using the incident as an example to promote their product. I dont rule out the possibility of Bmw/Mini trying their hand at it.
Unless evidence is presented, such statements should be kept on hold. This is not a "Scoop!" thread for god's sake !!
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 17:41   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Is it just me or is VW having a huge following (Critics and fans) on TBHP where each thread will run into a few pages in no time. It at least elicits the most responses and opinions compared to other manufacturers, myself included.
Yeah, looks like VW is the new Fiat in TBHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoPurple View Post
Dear Team BHPians,
I, Amit Jain, Managing Director - TechnoPurple IT Solutions Pvt Ltd. I have signed up on the forum specifically to refute the charges levelled against our company that the Audi Joyride Case is nothing but a ‘PR Exercise by TechnoPurple’.
Mr. Jain, I appreciate your efforts in stepping up and clarifying your stand on this issue.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks