Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2012, 04:03   #151
BHPian

Re: Customer's Q7 being misused by Audi Dealership @ Vakola. Caught by GPS Tracker

Well the AMW workshop is 24 hours if i remember correctly so basically the person who took the car out probably told the security that he is going out for a "test drive"
Old 29th November 2012, 11:09   #152
BHPian

Re: Customer's Q7 being misused by Audi Dealership @ Vakola. Caught by GPS Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by princenoble View Post
Technopurple, I have a question-What security I get if I have installed your security device and my car is parked somewhere for a duration of 6 hours or more? Some thug can safely disconnect the device and steal my car, wouldn't they? (I assume, car thieves smart enough to tamper my primary security- immobilizer, will know were to look for other security devices as well)
Nobs

While I definitely have no links with Technopurple I would still like to comment on your question.

Somebody who is hell bent on stealing your drive will do it - irrespective of what you do or install. No technology is foolproof. First a car with a immobilizer will not start with a fake key or a break in. So the thief has to have technology to fool the immobilizer (not easy to procure even for thieves - the no. of cars stolen with immobilizers vs those without will vouch for that fact) and then has to locate the GPS unit and disable it. For that he has to know that you have GPS in your car and where is it hidden - something that only the installer or the owner or somebody very close to them will know.

Lastly even if you have GPS, immobilizer, gear lock, steering lock and what not, crooks can come with a tow truck (has actually happened to a relative) and take your car to a secluded spot or a dark bylane and work on it and drive away with it. Like I said all you can do is make the thief's work difficult. The owners of most precious of properties and works of art have installed security equipment costing millions of dollars and they are still stolen. So - nothing in this world is foolproof. Every technology has a workaround and the thieves and crooks job is to find that. Heck even if you stand with your drive all day and night to protect it somebody can mug you and still drive away with it
Cesc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 14:48   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
EDIT: Got the info. Technopurple. Spoke to their office as well and they offered a demo if I'm interested. Total cost of hardware + software is about 16,500.

@quickdraw: Can you please update this thread on what the interaction and consequence at the Audi dealer has been?

There is another product available called TCop, atleast in Bangalore. The product works on GSM technology and is set up to communicate between the device installed in the car and the owner's mobile. Apparently, apart from getting vehicle location, the owner can even immobilise the engine by sending an sms. Havent tried it though.

http://www.tcop.biz/web/home.php
Old 29th November 2012, 17:02   #154

Dear Team BHPians,

Some information about Stealth Tracking and Car Charger Based:

Stealth Installation of Tracker:

Stealth Tracking provided by TechnoPurple or for that matter by any tracking company behaves the way the name suggests. If the owner doesn’t mind splicing of 3 wires – Earthing, Ignition and Power then the device can be installed in complete stealth mode. Also, the policy we follow @ TechnoPurple is to keep the place of installation suspense as the above listed 3 wires are available throughout the vehicle from bonnet to tail.
In such a case the device is always powered ON and distinguishes between Ignition ON, Ignition OFF State and accordingly displays the status on home page and mobile apps with current speed and last update time.

In such an installation procedure the device is always connected to the server via GPRS connection and sends out GPS Latitude – Longitude at a frequency as required by the client (once every from 15 secs or even once every few hours).

We consider it to be reasonable safe from theft as there are multiple layers of alerting which is possible – Ignition ON, Geo Fence Exit or Battery Disconnected. In Stealth Mode installation, Battery Disconnected event comes when the device loses power from the main battery and that only happens when someone actually unplugs the power cables from main battery.

Car Charger Based Installation:

As mentioned by some Forum members, Car Charger Based installation is only considered when the owner is paranoid about vehicle warranty and the vehicle dealer doesn’t support us with installation. It is a ‘Trade – Off’ kind of installation to be considered only if owner’s main motive is to track the vehicle and not to prevent theft. For theft prevention, it will not be ideal as miscreants would first unplug anything connected to the car charger before they start the vehicle. Whereas in the stealth mode, because there is no trace of vehicle, the owner is informed from the moment the vehicle is started or the main battery is connected.

We do contact the dealer for installation support in case the customer has vehicle in warranty and does not want the device on car charger. Many do support but there are some who ask for their margins cuts!

Thanks and regards,

Amit Jain
Managing Director
TechnoPurple IT Solutions Pvt Ltd
Mumbai
TechnoPurple is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 17:18   #155
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoPurple View Post
Dear Team BHPians,

TechnoPurple’s name got publicised only when Mumbai Mirror carried the news on 2nd page on Nov 24 and we had no role to play in that.

Amit Jain
Managing Director
TechnoPurple IT Solutions Pvt Ltd
Mumbai
sir,
Then why Technopurple staff Ms Prachi misra is using Mumbai Mirror paper cut outs in your quotes , when requested??
Old 29th November 2012, 17:38   #156
BHPian

i dont see why people find it surprising that some employee of the service center would take the car out for a joy ride. from what i have been told it is a very very common occurance

in my college there is this fully functional automobile workshop with all the fancy equipment a service center usually has. They got all the stuff from a maruti A.S.S that had shut shop. And it is used for training automobile engineering students in automobile maintainance.

Anyways there is this 19 year old guy who is employed at the lab who helps the lab assistant with mechanical work on cars
he was earlier employed at a Maruti A.S.S for a couple of years. He once told me that he and a few fellow workers there would often share drinks with the SA there and therefore had a good friendship going. And on many occasions he would ask the SA if he could borrow a car and the SA would tell him to take one out the back door at night and return it back in the morning. A night of rash driving and mayhem would usually follow.

He has used many cars that way , not just 800's and altos , but dezires and SX4's as well which are the companys flagship vehicles.

since this was a couple of years ago i can assume that he was underage during the period as well, he did confirm though that he did not have any documents on these drives including a driving license

This makes me think that Mr vishal's story is very likely to be true

and speedy's comments had that tone of anger in them as if he was the one that was attacked by vishal and definitely not someone who was objectively presenting another possibility/another side of the story

People might argue that this might happen with realatively cheap marutis but no one will do that to cars worth almost a crore
But i am sure that you can also say that someone who spends crores on his cars ,wouldnt bother with such a publicity stunt, simply because a few measly lakhs that he might get as compensation for this so called stunt wouldnt really even show in his bank balance.That is assuming that he could possibly get anything considering our legal system is pretty much a joke and i know this from personal experience.It takes 2 years for these people(police) to file a chargesheet in a simple accident case

about the tampering not being possible bit ;although i cant be sure but because of another incident that occured i believe its very likely that there are backdoor methods that exist to tamper with a cars odo reading, even though these methods may not be 'officially' documented. Another person here mentioned that he knows someone who got his cars odo reading reduced for a mere 500 bucks.

and the gps inaccuracy bit.
Well i have experince using gps and i am sure anyone who has experience using one knows that when a gps unit is on the fritz it jumps between random points and doesnt follow a continuous line along a proper route that actually exists.

My two bits
MCB

Disclaimer: the above statements are made with no intention to malign anyone , neither audi nor anyone else. I have added what i know to the above discussion to bring some subjectivity to random speculation

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 29th November 2012 at 17:45.
mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 18:00   #157
BHPian

Csec & Technopurple,

I was curious why Vishal Gondal choose this product for his high end car which had an immobilizer. I was also in the lookout for a car security product & found a serious limitation if the battery runs dry in 6 hours & that prompted me to look further. Main purpose of this device for me is when I am travelling and car is parked for a period.

Also, the name "Technopurple" was getting highlighted equal or more than the incident itself. The product promotion broacher I received had a paper cutting of this incident with Vishal's picture on it-with or without his knowledge. Wish they waited using this incident for their product promotions till Vishal settled the matter with Audi (Unless Technopurple obtained permissions from Vishal himself)

Nobs
Old 29th November 2012, 19:52   #158
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
sir,
Then why Technopurple staff Ms Prachi misra is using Mumbai Mirror paper cut outs in your quotes , when requested??
Quote:
Originally Posted by princenoble View Post
Csec & Technopurple,

I was curious why Vishal Gondal choose this product for his high end car which had an immobilizer. I was also in the lookout for a car security product & found a serious limitation if the battery runs dry in 6 hours & that prompted me to look further. Main purpose of this device for me is when I am travelling and car is parked for a period.

Also, the name "Technopurple" was getting highlighted equal or more than the incident itself. The product promotion broacher I received had a paper cutting of this incident with Vishal's picture on it-with or without his knowledge. Wish they waited using this incident for their product promotions till Vishal settled the matter with Audi (Unless Technopurple obtained permissions from Vishal himself)

Nobs
This thread is what brought TechnoPurple to my notice and I never knew who they were (to clarify conspiracy theorists here about me being an insider) but I'd like to defend their actions thus:

TechnoPurple is 100% justified in using this incident to promote their product. Its the simplest and most solid proof that their product works - this is purely ethical marketing. Its not one of those fabric detergent advertisements where clothes soaked in the advertised detergent seemingly come out shining while all other detergents fail (or any other similar advertisement which is totally misleading since it does not represent true facts).

No lies were told by TechnoPurple, nor were attempts made to hide the shortcomings of its product. Only facts were stated. Besides, the company has done everything it can to help Mr. Gondal, and its MD has taken time to come onto a public forum without any obligations and provide clarifications. Obviously all this has been helpful to the company itself. But since when is benefiting from honesty, integrity and goodwill considered a bad thing ?
Old 29th November 2012, 20:44   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Whatever the technical nuances of the gadget in question...

Meanwhile, Gondal hobnobs with the MD and top management of Audi, gets his apology and moves on. Who loses? Audi Mumbai West because no reasonable person reading this thread will walk away with a sense that they have done their best to resolve a customer's complaint.Somehow thye come across as very untrustworthy in all this!
Isn't it the responsibility of both Mr. Gondal and Audi Mumbai West to make public what really happened? Was his car taken for a joyride or not? All car owners, ethusiasts, and even pedestrians have a stake in knowing what happened. After all, these cars are driven rashly on public roads.

It would have been different if Mr. Gondal had not made it public so graphically and if a third party had made it public. Now the public has a right to know what happened. We don't want to be just guessing.
Old 30th November 2012, 10:58   #160
BHPian

Curious case of Bat-mobile!

I always felt that it is time that all premium cars come equipped with a black-box with inbuilt GPS (now a 5k mobile comes with one!) which records all movements,this would definitely help in much of hit &run cases and much of law enforcement.

While Bhpians make a case here, Q7 owner seems to be talking [1] to Audi MD and his team sorting his problem out. So guys take a break!
Lets see what Audi does in turn. Hope Vishal or his friend be courteous to share the outcome of meet.

A simple way of tracking ones car would be using a map app in your smartphone which lets you login to Google latitude and have it placed in car. If you are online (GSM/3G),you are tracked.

[1] http://goo.gl/MEJlA
Old 30th November 2012, 12:11   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoPurple View Post
Further I would like to allay fears that Mr. Vishal Gondal has invested in TechnoPurple and is promoting Audi Joyride Case on social networks like Facebook and Twitter so that TechnoPurple gets to sell additional devices. I would like to assure the community that TechnoPurple has not diluted any equity till take and relationship with Mr. Vishal Gondal is purely a Company – Customer relationship.
A link provided from www.quora.com .

Would you be kind enough to elaborate on this angle?.

I would also request quickdraw since he is a colleague and close friend of Mr.Gondal to comment on this.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%...aMM7n9ckCHZ_rA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technopurple View Post
I hope Team BHPians will find the arguments listed above convincing enough to stop posting personal attacks against our company TechnoPurple. It has reached here after years of hardwork and incidents like these can destroy the reputation in seconds.
The doubts have been raised again by the link i have posted above.

I would also like to post a link again from www.quora.com as the outcome of the meeting between Audi and Mr.Gondal.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%...jzqzqFMbNovpOg

Further i am led to belive that Mr.Gondal is the second owner of the Q7 in question, hence the sum of Rs 85 lakhs does not hold true in this case.

Last edited by speedy : 30th November 2012 at 12:20.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 12:49   #162
BHPian

I find it hard to believe that an internationally reputed company like Audi will willingly participate in a marketing stunt to help promote a small GPS tracking startup, which puts Audi, its service center (and therefore customer relationship) and its reputation on the line.

As for whether TechnoPurple of Vishal Gondal got any mileage out of it. Quite possibly, yes. But let's not forget how it all started - a customer's car reportedly being taken out on a joyride by the staff of an Audi service center. That's the core issue.

I believe the matter has been amicably settled between the involved parties. How they did this is their prerogative. It may not be to everyone's satisfaction, and it would be nice to have all the loose ends tied up, but sometimes that's how things roll.
Old 30th November 2012, 12:58   #163
Senior - BHPian

@Speedy

Give the benefit of the doubt and lets wait for Tehcnopurple or quickdraw to comment. It does look like an off the table settlement of some sort and definitely something that will never be discussed anywhere.

But we should give the benefit of doubt and hope one of them provides more details to the supporters as well as doubters.
Old 30th November 2012, 12:59   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Would you be kind enough to elaborate on this angle?.

Further i am led to belive that Mr.Gondal is the second owner of the Q7 in question, hence the sum of Rs 85 lakhs does not hold true in this case.
Hmm...interesting, but can you please put these in simpler terms. This super angels, Vcs, SA is a bit confusing for the Quora uninitiated. And I couldn't find anything on the 85 lacs and second owner thing. Please.
Old 30th November 2012, 13:07   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Hmm...interesting, but can you please put these in simpler terms. This super angels, Vcs, SA is a bit confusing for the Quora uninitiated. And I couldn't find anything on the 85 lacs and second owner thing. Please.
What I understand is, Super Angels is a VC firm and Gondal is part of it. And Super Angels is sort of a mentor to Techno Purple!

To quote from Quora:
Quote:
technopurple is a company which has been chosen by super angels for mentorship vishal is one of theVcs @ SA.
The implications of that - well you think that out yourself. It might or might not mean that Gondal is linked to Techno purple. But it is definitely interesting if it is true what is quoted on Quora.

Since Vishal Gondal has used the social media to wage his war with Audi West, it would only be ethically right if people are made to know the details of settlement. At least we deserve to know who was wrong and who was right in this case as so far there has only been allegations and no other details!

Last edited by joslicx : 30th November 2012 at 13:10.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed