Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Modified my Laura's electronics. No warranty support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Glad you got these resolved! Looks like the wiring of your car got butchered through those prior mods. I can certainly understand Skoda not supporting these. Bit like chopping the doors off and expecting Skoda to repair them under warranty
Some of the damages were done by Tafe Access during their "diagnosis" process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Thanks nitinbose for details on the mods you have done. Could you pls. share the share the cost of the modifcations done?

BTW - I am wondering if those lamps are Skoda GA's or after market ones?
The costs are available at www.vagtune.in, though I got 15% discount as I had several items to purchase adn 50% off in the installation charges. I have written a detailed review on VAGTUNE here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...ne-cochin.html

The lights are Skoda Genuine ones used only in limited countries. One thing to note is that unless the Skoda software understands the installed hardware, it will never be configured properly, throw errors and have an effect on the other systems as well - pretty much like windows hardware driver installation.

Apparently, as I spoke to several customers of Vagtune (Skoda owners), most of them have challenges with the Skoda A.S.S., such as carelessness, lack of expertise, stealing parts etc. So Skoda A.S.S seems like a national issue!

Last edited by nitinbose : 22nd January 2013 at 12:23.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The lights are Skoda Genuine ones used only in limited countries.
Thanks for the website address and surely cool to see items which are SGA.

However - the lamps you have installed are not listed under SGA but under after market. The description also does not state that they are SGA. Pls. cross check and hope you haven't crossed the warranty line.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Thanks for the website address and surely cool to see items which are SGA.

However - the lamps you have installed are not listed under SGA but under after market. The description also does not state that they are SGA. Pls. cross check and hope you haven't crossed the warranty line.
Skoda warranty would only be void if the accessory/modification throws errors on the dashboard, VAS software, wires cut/spliced, illegal coding or affects other systems.

None of the above are true in my case, so no warranty is affected.

Last but not least, there are several genuine accessories which are not available in India but available in Europe. Some are also used for limited editions etc.

Last edited by nitinbose : 22nd January 2013 at 12:30.
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:59   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Skoda warranty would only be void if the accessory/modification throws errors on the dashboard, VAS software, wires cut/spliced, illegal coding or affects other systems.

None of the above are true in my case, so no warranty is affected.

Last but not least, there are several genuine accessories which are not available in India but available in Europe. Some are also used for limited editions etc.
Actually warranty is supported only if the accessory you fitted is sold by Skoda India. The dealership may support if you bought something a like an bluetooth module but will not support any after market accessories even if they are compatible with your car.

For example if you buy an upgraded suspension kit from Bilstein or Koni that is designed for the Laura and fit them on your car, you still stand to lose suspension and drivetrain warranty.
Old 22nd January 2013, 13:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,

I managed to solve my Laura's issues through Vagtune, Cochin. After diagnosis, the BCM module, indicater stalk and steering module were found faulty. The steering module had nothing to do with the malfunctions however I found the wires simply cut, and these are wires serving the airbags & immobilizer. The headlamp units also had wires tampered in the inside. I therefore decided to replace that as well.

I'd also replaced the steering wheel with the three-spoke type that comes with paddle-shifts. A skoda genuine bluetooth kit was also installed.

As of now, the car is back in ship-shape. Everything is Skoda genuine!

I would only go for Skoda genuine upgrades henceforth and that's also my advice to all skoda owners.

Mods: Please close this thread if that's the right course of action.
Congrats @nitinbose, you've got a beauty there
Got a question though - does the paddle-shifter actually work on your car or is it just a show piece?
Old 22nd January 2013, 14:17   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I've not seen these headlights on any Laura/Octavia anywhere? Do your xenons still turn with the steering wheel?
Old 22nd January 2013, 14:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
They are replacing the compressor under warranty(after a painful 20 day approval time) but i am being asked to pay for Drier Bottle, Refridgerent gas and Compressor oil which costs ~20k according to their estimate.
Hi, .anshuman i had also faced the same issue with skoda gurgaon (giriraj auto) they replaced my compressor under warranty as it was not functioning and asked me to pay the extra amount for oil and gas and i refused to pay because it was covered in warranty to which they said consumables are paid. and to that when i replied that its not my fault, you should have replaced the compressor without getting the gas and fluid out (which i know is not possible) after a 10 minute discussion they finally agreed to waive off the charges and i did not have to pay any penny for it! so try this, could save you some money!!!!
Old 22nd January 2013, 14:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Almost all the dealers will tell that, if you install something after market, however small it is, like a cigaratte lighter or a HU, the warranty stays void, if a wire is cut/altered.

Now, this being the case, why is the warranty being denied projected as a problem?

Also, are we sure that they haven't mentioned about such a thing in their user manual? I remember some other thread wherein some car has a very acute water wading problem, and finally someone posted an excerpt from the manual indicating, not to get the car in such a situation.
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddyCrew View Post
Got a question though - does the paddle-shifter actually work on your car or is it just a show piece?
They not only work but are a great beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I've not seen these headlights on any Laura/Octavia anywhere? Do your xenons still turn with the steering wheel?
My stock headlights used to turn with the steerng wheel as the L&K has integrated AFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Almost all the dealers will tell that, if you install something after market, however small it is, like a cigaratte lighter or a HU, the warranty stays void, if a wire is cut/altered.

Now, this being the case, why is the warranty being denied projected as a problem?

Also, are we sure that they haven't mentioned about such a thing in their user manual? I remember some other thread wherein some car has a very acute water wading problem, and finally someone posted an excerpt from the manual indicating, not to get the car in such a situation.
When I spoke to Skoda customer service, they clearly mentioned warranty wont be void as long as the fault is NOT due to the accessory installed. Whether or not you have warranty, the A.S.S will try to fleece money out of you. Finally, they dont want to work, all they do is simply run the scan, change the oil etc., wash and return the vehicle to you.

Have said all these, I have noticed the cornering function, reverse gear mirror function and a couple of others are now functioning whilst when I took delivery they weren't. Am wondering if the BCM was faulty from purchase. Maybe that's why they give huge discounts.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 20:24   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

So what was the total damage to your wallet? Can you post the cost break up?

Most Viewed