Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2013, 21:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Metro Chevrolet, Delhi : SA ready for a fistfight

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Chevrolet as a brand had little to do with this ONE SA. If they do not take care of things henceforth, or don't sort out that moron - then they are at fault. Not as of now.

Chevy may have hundred flaws or hundred issues on other threads, but the logical link with this thread is zero. If I have misread something - do point it out.
With due respect to the author, I am a bit surprised with this argument. Please note that the outlet is exclusively for selling and servicing Chevy vehicles.

First of all, any brand is an abstract concept. Also, it is not practical for customers to experience Chevy by visiting their HQ or factories in person.

Therefore, two factors portrays what the brand is to the customer's mind:
(a) dealings of the people who work in the dealerships and
(b) quality of the product (read fuss free ownership experience)

Cars, banks, insurance companies -- there are lot of choices for people who has moolah to spend. Who cares to deal with non empathetic, arrogant staff when there are other options. This is in turn going to impact both the dealership and the car manufacturer. Without doubt, companies will have to ensure that people doing customer interfacing roles should be courteous and properly trained in etiquette. In the era of internet and social media, it is highly unlikely that such intimidation goes unreported there by tanking the reputation of the brand in the process.

Point a) will contribute to create serious differentiation between various brands in the customer's mind. An example to quote is that of Fiat. They produces some of the best cars in India but still suffers from low sales because of issues induced by people rather than the car itself. If it was issues related to quality of the car, Fiat would have fixed them way back and won back the customers. Unfortunately, issues induced by people are much more difficult to solve. Ford, Skoda are all victims of the similar problem. Please search team-bhp forum and you can see many instances where customers are cribbing because they feel let down by the people at the dealerships.

Now, this does not mean that rude customers should be entertained either, which I understand is not the case here.

Last edited by B103 : 23rd April 2013 at 21:52.
B103 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 23:48   #32
BHPian

Wow. That is shocking!

I keep getting calls from Metro Chevrolet because of my Opel Swing. The next time I get a call, I will tell them that I shall never come to them cause of this incident and that they should never call me again.

Why don't you try Treo Chevrolet in Okhla? I checked out their workshop while I was at the Exide service centre next door and came away impressed. I always used to go to Regent Auto earlier, and was fairly satisfied as the service advisers knew me and the mechanics recognised the car, but unfortunately they closed down. I visited Auto Vikas, again in Okhla, but I found their workshop to be far too small and so I had to wait for a very long time. Either way, Treo has a large workshop and was really well kept. I will be trying them out sooner or later.

Good luck! Lets hope Chevy/GM wakes up.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 10:42   #33
BHPian

It is really shocking incident. You should not let it go as the service centre and GM should know that they have to ensure that this kind of behaviour can directly affect their bottomline due to the bad press. Please insist on knowing what action they have taken against the erring SA. we often complaint that the police doesn't register complaints and take action but i have noticed that private corporations too don't follow up on complaints against their employees nor do they take any action in most instances unless you follow-up persistently

i suggest you write mails (to have a record). Please see if you can identify the service engineer from chevrolet who is responsible for this centre and escalate to him too as a first step. As others suggested you can post on social media as companies are giving a lot of focus to discussions on these
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 18:54   #34
BHPian

Although i agree that the behaviour of the SA is totally uncalled for and cannot be justified but since i have been in the service industry(hotels) there are somethings that need to be considered
-the customer has indeed gotten more demanding in ever sector, but brash behaviour on the part of customers is increasing at an even more phenomenal rate.People with some knowledge, little knowledge and no knowledge believe in stereotyping every single product and then are just not open to any suggestion or opinion.There have been instances where problems are being solved or can be solved but many people who are so full of themselves simply do not want to listen, the very first essence of solving any problem.While our fellow bhpian possibly just lit a match very innocently or unknowingly , it was right where there was a gas bank and hence the explosion.
Apologies, but felt must present the other side of the coin and yet again i do not approve of the behaviour of the SA
chef-de-jeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 19:07   #35
BHPian

I can't believe service advisor can use abusive language with a customer right inside the Chevy showroom! Unheard of!

@AbhishekB86: I personally would suggest you to go ahead and register a complaint with the police station for two reasons:

1.) Polite language and courteous treatment is a 'given' in any showroom of any manufacturer today. Even when customers are unreasonable (which is not the case here) the SAs usually reason with them politely. This moron needs to be taught a lesson.

2.) What if Chevy fires him because of this incident and he tries to seek revenge? For your own safety I would suggest you go to the police.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 20:19   #36
BHPian

Honestly, I dont understand the people who are justifying Chevrolet here.

Fine they can not control every single person on their payroll. They had a person who went nuts. But is it not their responsibility to make sure they do everything they can to make the customer feel that they really are sorry that such an incident took place?

The standard 'we are looking into the matter' is a waste response. It does not take a cabinet committee to apologize to customer.

Imagine if we had strong laws like the US, and Chevy could be sued for this. The response would have been much more active had there been a million dollars involved. They dont understand that their brand has that value too.

And on the complaint front, I think that man must be the one who has to think about his family. If everyone starts showing such 'mercy' we would have a lot of murderers and thugs roaming around bullying people.

Everyone is responsible for their own actions.
SASproject is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 00:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
It is really shocking incident. You should not let it go as the service centre and GM should know that they have to ensure that this kind of behaviour can directly affect their bottomline due to the bad press. Please insist on knowing what action they have taken against the erring SA.

i suggest you write mails (to have a record). Please see if you can identify the service engineer from chevrolet who is responsible for this centre and escalate to him too as a first step. As others suggested you can post on social media as companies are giving a lot of focus to discussions on these
Hello Mohan! I know the SA by his first name the next thing on the agenda for tomorrow is to get hold of his full name.Yes I have written mails, used the social media platform and there are responses coming through from the dealership. Metro Chevrolet's top brass called me today. I do not immediately want to get into 'what' it's leading to since the conversation was cut short by me since I had prior commitments when they called and they will be calling back tomorrow.

EDIT : This was because the gentleman wanted a prolonged conversation. It wasn't possible since I was in a formal atmosphere and told him I could excuse myself for 5 minutes. He asked me if it was okay if we spoke tomorrow morning to which I agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-de-jeep View Post
Although i agree that the behaviour of the SA is totally uncalled for and cannot be justified but since i have been in the service industry(hotels) there are somethings that need to be considered
-the customer has indeed gotten more demanding in ever sector, but brash behaviour on the part of customers is increasing at an even more phenomenal rate.People with some knowledge, little knowledge and no knowledge believe in stereotyping every single product and then are just not open to any suggestion or opinion.There have been instances where problems are being solved or can be solved but many people who are so full of themselves simply do not want to listen, the very first essence of solving any problem.While our fellow bhpian possibly just lit a match very innocently or unknowingly , it was right where there was a gas bank and hence the explosion.
Apologies, but felt must present the other side of the coin and yet again i do not approve of the behaviour of the SA
Hello Chef! I see something common between us - Hotels. I understand that there are customers who do not care to listen and want ego massages for problems which can solved. I have dealt with several and it has taught me one thing - humility. Also being in the service industry I am sure you will appreciate no match stick or a torch justifies abusive and threatening behavior. Appreciate you raising the other side but there's no training needed to know how a customer needs to be treated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I can't believe service advisor can use abusive language with a customer right inside the Chevy showroom! Unheard of!

@AbhishekB86: I personally would suggest you to go ahead and register a complaint with the police station for two reasons:

1.) Polite language and courteous treatment is a 'given' in any showroom of any manufacturer today. Even when customers are unreasonable (which is not the case here) the SAs usually reason with them politely. This moron needs to be taught a lesson.

2.) What if Chevy fires him because of this incident and he tries to seek revenge? For your own safety I would suggest you go to the police.

Hi Veyron. While I agree his behavior is uncalled for I am not yet involving the cops since it can get dirty and a whole circle will add up to nothing. Do you think cops will even bother registering a complain? However I haven't completely ruled this out. If I get the slightest hint that the man is upto something, I'll do what's needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASproject View Post
Honestly, I dont understand the people who are justifying Chevy

Fine they can not control every single person on their payroll. They had a person who went nuts. But is it not their responsibility to make sure they do everything they can to make the customer feel that they really are sorry that such an incident took place?

The standard 'we are looking into the matter' is a waste response. It does not take a cabinet committee to apologize to customer.

Imagine if we had strong laws like the US, and Chevy could be sued for this. The response would have been much more active had there been a million dollars involved. They dont understand that their brand has that value too.

And on the complaint front, I think that man must be the one who has to think about his family.

Everyone is responsible for their own actions.
Agree with your point. I think as of know what's happening is that Chevy has asked the dealership to sort the matter. The best surprise is that my mail has not been acknowledged yet by Chevrolet India. Everything is on the phone, nothing in writing. Clever bunch I say. Let's do away with any liabilities by not responding to emails because of course they know they're wrong and acknowledging it in writing will be a mistake. If I email the CC of GM that's who I expect to atleast acknowledge the mail. Very very annoying!

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 25th April 2013 at 00:48. Reason: additional info
Old 25th April 2013, 11:53   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

You are perfectly within your rights to offer advice to another customer when it looks as if the dealership may be ripping him off. And you equally have the right to report the errant SA to the cops for intimidation and threats.

Of course the dealership is accountable, and so is GM. Please ensure that you extract your pound of flesh from this. In the US, they'd have their butt sued successfully in a case like this!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 18:52   #39

I have heard of impolite or unattentive personalities in service section, but this sort of language is totally unheard of. There may be video recording happening to prove your point, in case needed by police or GM authorities.
seanr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 20:11   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, can't we just call on 100 and reporting the threats, ask the PCR to intervene? Not sure though if it would be the right way. Later an FIR maybe lodged with the near by Police station.

Just saw the link on Chevrolet's FB page, they seem to be taking note and replying. Let's see if they really do something about it.

Surprisingly, I could not see any reliable twitter profile of GM India or Chevrolet India, are they not present on twitter?

Last edited by Dry Ice : 25th April 2013 at 20:12.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 23:27   #41
BHPian

I too do not understand when people say GM is not responsible, but the SA only.
Consider the situation when you are looking to buy a car from GM. If the Sales Adviser does the same to you and there is no apology from their end, will you be confident to go ahead and book your ride? I will not be, for I will wonder how can I trust these guys again? I faced a similar situation (not this bad!) when I was in market looking for Hyundai i10/eon in Trivandrum. I ran away. Service Advisers could do worse to the car that we trust them with.

Sometimes one bad apple is more than enough.
beez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 23:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASproject View Post

I missed out this part in my original response. I definitely think a "GM" has far more powers than just apologizing. He needed to go the extra mile to win Abhishek back, and he clearly stopped at apologizing only.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 23:55   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I missed out this part in my original response. I definitely think a "GM" has far more powers than just apologizing. He needed to go the extra mile to win Abhishek back, and he clearly stopped at apologizing only.
I completely agree. I meant the apology in a sense of apology+the extra mile.

Seriously though, this makes me admire Maruti Suzuki. They have really managed to keep their customers happy over a long long time.
Old 26th April 2013, 00:53   #44
BHPian

Being a fellow Chevy Beat owner, that too in hot-headed Delhi, at the point of servicing, everytime I have had to decide between GM authorized centre or a much more polite and dependable guy I know.

The last service, I spent almost an entire day at the service center. And even when I was right there, it took the "experts" there about 5 hours to "service" my car. This basically meant a 5 minute body wash, a 2 minute interior cleaning session where the cleaners threw all my stuff from the boot on to the workshop floor, and a 5 minute el-cheapo "polish" session. It was a white liquid mixed in water. And no buffing machine to speak of. Did I mention all this took 5 hours??

I had listed down major electrical problems I was facing. And after 5 hours of waiting (with the car - despite the SAs trying to shoo my off), only the wash and polish was done. Needless to say I paid a bomb.

Now time for my next service is coming up.

And I feel afraid to enter a Chevrolet Authorized Service Centre after hearing Abhishek's plight.

Can someone at Chevrolet (Company/Dealership) please come onto this thread and comment? It would be good to get to know their approach on this.

Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 26th April 2013 at 00:56.
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 10:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
I had listed down major electrical problems I was facing. And after 5 hours of waiting (with the car - despite the SAs trying to shoo my off), only the wash and polish was done. Needless to say I paid a bomb.
They are ALL the same man. In any place if you don't stand on their heads or don't have a relationship with the big boss, nothing gets done. Same set of grease monkeys in each workshop. its the processes and the people enforcing them, that matter.

After 4 years of peace of mind with Apra, I will now move away simply because their GM has left, and the current crop inspire zero trust. They are ivory tower managers. On a side note, BMW guys can now enjoy personalized advise and attention !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks