Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2012, 02:59   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nothing beats Tata-Autofin in Hyderabad! (What about other TASS in Hyd?)

Autofin is long gone. Despite of the usual woes of too much load etc and some times the expected bunglings (lets face it, they all do, irrespective of the Manufacturer they are affiliated to) they were still by and large fairly good.

However, since Autofin departed a new one by the name of Tejaswi Motors opened up. They started with HiTec city and then have spread to secunderabad. I believe even Detroit have now become full fledged dealers and a TASS (earlier they were affiliated to Concorde I think). Malik was all along there though their service quality often left much to desire.

My recent experiences are an eye opener. I believe Tata needs to do something about these "Quick Gun Murugan" type of trigger happy service centers who do little but to cause big damage to the customer's wallet without a second thought when actually a very simple solution exist. I find the basic diagnosis and the will to resolve an issue missing in most cases.

I wanted to replace my front brake pads last month and went to Tejaswi in HiTec city on a Saturday. I thought a 30 minutes to 45 minutes max it will take in a quick repair bay to replace the pads. However on reaching their I realized that once they know you are not their for a full service they immediately lose interest. Getting someone to attend to your car is a big deal. Then of course they give you the usual stories of huge load etc. In my case after 30 minutes of diligent follow up a service advisor turned up and promptly told me to drop the car and come to collect the same later in the evening or better still on Monday. I was zapped. I asked him why a Quick Repair Bay job should need so much time. Obviously they use even their quick repair bays for regular service. Finally after talking to their service manager the car was grudgingly taken in but they took a full 3.5 hours for the brake pad replacement. And then when they handed it over to me the brakes were spongy. They did not even do the basic bleeding of the lines! When I recalled the service advisor again he was not very happy as he again told me that I should have left the car with them.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 03:04   #32
Team-BHP Support

...And then comes the clincher

Fast forward to a week back, my car one week day suddenly refused to start in the morning. It would crank but the engine won't fire up. After a persistent try and miss ordeal for 20 minutes (I could feel that its not the battery) it finally did start. The RPM went up a bit and then settled down. I drove over to office. At night while returning back home the same routine followed in the office parking. When the car finally started the RPM again shot up, went down and then finally settled down.

This happened the next day as well. I knew by now it is not the battery as it was charging well, the electrical accessories were all working fine even when the engine was refusing to start. The other suspect of the glow plugs having gone kaput was also out of question by now as I could see that the RPM on each occassion after the start was going up, up and up and then down to almost 600 before settling down. This is not a glowplug issue either. It had to be something else. What could it be? Issue with some kind of a choking? The throttle body needing a clean up? Or was it something else.

So Saturday I took the car to Tejaswi in the morning (after the usual struggle to get the engine going). The usual rush, the missing SA and finally when a johnny turns up he just turns the key and the engine as expected immediately fires up (the issue was showing up after the car remained stationary for 4-5 hours). The SA first starts with weak starter motor which I immediately discard as that would mean a recurring starting problem at any time of the day and not after long breaks. The SA tells me "this needs investigation and that I should leave the car for 3-4 days to be kept under observation". That was it. I knew they have no intentions of putting their investigators hat to look for a problem. So I leave.

The next halt is at Malik Cars in Tolichowki. I tell the guy (probably a senior service manager) about the problem. My possible suspects and what probably is NOT the problem. He tells me with a sermonizing tone that they have a full checklist blah blah blah... Assigns a Service Advisor. The guy takes the car to a shed at the back. Opens the bonnet and shoves in a multimeter. I tell him that the alternator is working fine but he insists that the fluctuating RPM is a sure sign of a near-dead alternator. Never mind the fact that the battery is charging fine, the RPM does not surge in regular running nor does the headlight beam dims or goes bright at night. As expected the different angles of shoving the multimeter again and again still tells him the same story. The alternator is working fine. He drops the hood and tells me with a finality that the Fuel Pump is gone. I look at him quizzically. What gives. He tells me with the finality of a priest standing on the death bed of his subject that this is expected in old cars (74k on the odo). I tell him that if the pump is a problem then how come the car never gives a problem once the engine is started? Even if I shut it down immediately and restart it still purrs to life immediately. The man gives me some cock and bull story about the teeth having worn out and that they are still not fully gone and hence once they get a grip the car keeps getting started easily. A rest of course means the teeth loosen up.

I knew by then that its bye bye Malik. The guy just refuses to look into some of the problems I am asking him to inspect. He has made up his mind that if its not alternator then its the pump. The damage? He says if you are lucky then 15k to get the pump overhauled. If it does not work then a replacement is needed which is another 48k. By now my jaw drops open. What the ****! This guy has not even done any basic inspection and is telling me with the authority of the wizard that he wants to drill a big hole in my pocket.

I leave the place. The next destination. I decide its my old faithful Auto Chenoy in Secunderabad. They have been taken over by Detroit recently. I know that they have a few old Autofin hands there. I reach there. Unfortunately the 2 Autofin guys are nowhere in sight. However another mech takes the car in. I ask him what he thinks. He says that he would like to fully inspect the car before he commits. That's good! Also, for good measure I tell him what the Tejaswi and the Malik guys said. He pooh poohs the Tejaswi logic (of weak starter motor) and says that pump is the last resort but then I should not tell you to fire the bofors gun till I have eliminated the other possible problem areas.

Suddenly I feel reassured. Our man opens the hood and starts the car. He also loosens the plunger and starts pumping manually. Immediately the main fuel line spurts out diesel in a fine spray. Voila! There is a leak. He found it in 5 minutes flat. By now I knew the problem even before he starts telling me. The pressure in the line goes down when the car is standing still for hours. When I try to crank the engine air gushes into the line through the leak and that's the culprit. Remedy? A 300 bucks fuel pipe made of metal with a rubber join in the middle (which sprung a leak). That simple.

I happily get the replacement done and leave, mentally assured that the problem is resolved. Surprise of surprises, the next morning, it's a Sunday, when I try to start the car it is back to square one. However, this time the car starts in just four attempts and after a high rev settles down. Its still the same problem but with a lower intensity. I call up Detroit and they say they are open. I immediately drive back 18 kms to Secunderbad. And as luck would have it they are closed. Its actually their ECIL office which is open on Sunday. Thats another 15 kms. I rue my luck but decide that I want to see the end of it. So drive all the way to ECIL.

My luck strikes as this time I find an old Autofin guy there whom I recognize. He hears me out and opens the hood. Does some pumping again but no fuel jet coming out this time around. His eyes narrow for a while and then he again starts pumping and then touches the pipe at the join with the filter. And there is the culprit. diesel is coming out of the join. So thats where is the new route for air influx. Next 30 mins he tries opening and refitting the pipe multiple times but the fuel keeps oozing out from the join. He declares that the new part is defective. Its not sitting flush and leaving some gap. After some more convincing he decides to replace the pipe with another one. This time no fuel leak. The car starts well. He tells me that its resolved now. I should call him anyhow tomorrow to let him know whether it started at one crank.

Next morning I happily call him back to let know that it started in half crank. Good job buddy. Car is since running for a week and is back to it's normal self. Starts without a problem.

Last edited by Zappo : 21st March 2012 at 03:19.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 03:13   #33
Team-BHP Support

A few important lessons here,

* Most of the mechs don't know a dime about diagnosis; they just want to go for the big ticket replacements as the very first course of action
* A good mech on the other hand can save you a packet not to mention a lot of headache as well
* Tatas should reign in these money minded service stations who think nothing of making bombastic diagnosis when a simple tweak can resolve the issue. This is a bigger problem not only for the customer but on many occassions for the manufacturer also as cars under warranty go for costly parts replacement when probably they dont need any
* A new genuine sealed part came out defective. Is that some indication of the kind of QC these OEMs have?

Bottomline is that do not trust diagnosis that are over the top, particularly since big problems can not crop up all of a sudden one day. When they do they will be a "parmently dead" kind of thing. Otherwise most wear and tear related problems (like a fuel pump getting ready to give up the ghost) will give you adequate warnings. Find a good mech and stick to him for better resolution of issues. Most of these so called authorised joes are out there to make a fast buck on you.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 13:12   #34
BHPian

Hey Zappo!! You could have remembered the same symptoms that my car had a few months back. Ditto and the cause ditto!! It looks like the guys in Bidar are spot on as well.

Which makes me wonder. Why is it that we see better mechanics who have superior diagnostic skills in smaller garages rather than in the big company joints? All of us will be aware of a local mechanic which the people who frequent him swear by!More often than not, this guy has had no professional training i.e. no company trained tag to show off, and yet he is the guy we fall back on when push gets to shove.

We all remember that Autofin itself was accused to ramping up the servicing bills whenever possible by declaring something faulty, and yet, their guys are doing well once out of Autofin.

Do corporate sales targets affect the integrity of the big boys one wonders!
Old 21st March 2012, 16:30   #35
Team-BHP Support

To an extent its definitely the pressure to handle as many vehicles in a fixed period as they can. They just want to get a closure. It does not matter whether in the process they even followed the basics. However I feel it also has to do with their competency to a good extent. In my case it actually took less than 5 minutes for the person so inclined to find out the problem. Would it have taken the other guys any longer? No.

The chances are
1. he was unscrupulous and wanted to score big and hence made that big bang diagnosis
2. however, considering that the earlier guy at Tejaswi tried his luck with the "weak starter motor" theory while this one went for FP it is also possible that each one of them was clueless about how to look for a resolution. So they made the only resolution that was top of the mind for them

Whichever way you look at it the fact remains that such mechs are a disgrace to the Tatas to keep them on the payroll. They only sully the manufacturers name and people start suspecting on the integrity issue of the whole chain of command. Someone who can not even do the basic diagnosis is a disgrace to the word "authorized".

Of course there is a small matter of genuine OEM parts being of iffy quality. But then thats a debate for another day...
Old 9th July 2012, 17:59   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
To an extent its definitely the pressure to handle as many vehicles in a fixed period as they can. They just want to get a closure. It does not matter whether in the process they even followed the basics. However I feel it also has to do with their competency to a good extent. In my case it actually took less than 5 minutes for the person so inclined to find out the problem. Would it have taken the other guys any longer? No.

The chances are
1. he was unscrupulous and wanted to score big and hence made that big bang diagnosis
2. however, considering that the earlier guy at Tejaswi tried his luck with the "weak starter motor" theory while this one went for FP it is also possible that each one of them was clueless about how to look for a resolution. So they made the only resolution that was top of the mind for them

Whichever way you look at it the fact remains that such mechs are a disgrace to the Tatas to keep them on the payroll. They only sully the manufacturers name and people start suspecting on the integrity issue of the whole chain of command. Someone who can not even do the basic diagnosis is a disgrace to the word "authorized".

Of course there is a small matter of genuine OEM parts being of iffy quality. But then thats a debate for another day...
Thanks a lot for sharing the eye opener incident. I got to this thread while searching for reliable TASS in Hyderabad.
My car (3.5 Yrs old) is due for the regular servicing (first time in Hyd), and I am very much confused about where to get it serviced. Which service center do you recommend? I stay in Sri Nagar Colony area.

Last edited by ottocycle : 9th July 2012 at 18:01.
Old 9th July 2012, 18:21   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing the eye opener incident. I got to this thread while searching for reliable TASS in Hyderabad.
My car (3.5 Yrs old) is due for the regular servicing (first time in Hyd), and I am very much confused about where to get it serviced. Which service center do you recommend? I stay in Sri Nagar Colony area.
You are hardly left with much choice. Tejaswi Motors is everywhere in Hyderabad. Wherever you stay thre is bound to be one closer to you. Besides that you have Detroit Motors, Malik Cars and Concorde. I personally dont think much of any of these. The busier ones are the worst as they are only interested in quick turnover of cars so that they can make quick bucks. Thats the unfortunate truth about the TASS here. However, if you can go to Detroit (ECIL X Roads) they do have some mechs who were earlier a part of the Autofin dealership/service center. They still put in some effort...
Old 9th July 2012, 18:46   #38
BHPian

Avoid Detroit

Do give Maximus Motors a try - They are around pillar number 95-98 on the new airport flyover
Old 9th July 2012, 19:26   #39
BHPian

Facts :
2 weeks ago. I wanted to get an electrician to look into the non-working front lights.
I checked the bulbs (filaments ok), checked the fuses (all good), checked major wires (no issues) & the battery (towards the end of itz life, but was still ok). I drove by Hitech City TASS to check if they could do anything. They wanted me to leave the vehicle & return back later. For such a trivial issue. Just one electrician.
I took a risk, headed home and en-route checked with a way side workshop. They replaced the Relay(I have upgraded lights) in 30 mins flat. Up and back as new.

What did I learn :
As @Zappo has elaborated earlier, Standing proof that TASS (nowadays) likes only Big-Ticket items.

Do I miss anything :
I distinctly remember driving into Quick Service Bays at Chennai & Bangalore in my yester years. If I knew half of the issue, it took a quick 30-40 mins to fix.

Off Topic :
Yes. I had asked the TASS at Hitech City to perform a Compression test during a routine service. The Odo reads 1,07,890 & I wanted to know what the status is. The mechanic convinced me not to do it. He told me that he rode the vehicle & checked. He showed me oil spills near the engine oil check outlet. He is already ready to perform an overhaul. Even the timer belt was not replaced as is normal @ 1L (waste of effort - according to them). ? any hints.
Old 9th July 2012, 23:26   #40
BANNED

Quote:
You are hardly left with much choice. Tejaswi Motors is everywhere in Hyderabad. Wherever you stay thre is bound to be one closer to you. Besides that you have Detroit Motors, Malik Cars and Concorde. I personally dont think much of any of these. The busier ones are the worst as they are only interested in quick turnover of cars so that they can make quick bucks. Thats the unfortunate truth about the TASS here. However, if you can go to Detroit (ECIL X Roads) they do have some mechs who were earlier a part of the Autofin dealership/service center. They still put in some effort...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Avoid Detroit

Do give Maximus Motors a try - They are around pillar number 95-98 on the new airport flyover
Thanks Zappo and rajismine.

Given that really bad situation of the TASS in hyd, is it worth going for Independent garage, e.g. New Mars (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...hyderabad.html) or Tune up (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...derabad.html)?

Have anybody recently been to these places?
Old 10th July 2012, 19:12   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Thanks Zappo and rajismine.

Given that really bad situation of the TASS in hyd, is it worth going for Independent garage, e.g. New Mars (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...hyderabad.html) or Tune up (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...derabad.html)?

Have anybody recently been to these places?
Don't know about TuneUp (though I have seen a few cars sporting the tuneup sticker on the rear windscreen) but I have heard a lot about New Mars. May very well be worth the try, particularly if your car is not under any sort of warranty and you can reach these garages easily. I always wanted to try out New Mars. But the thought of sailing across the ocean of humanity and vehicles called Kukatpally to reach the other end always pulled me back.
Old 10th July 2012, 22:13   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Don't know about TuneUp (though I have seen a few cars sporting the tuneup sticker on the rear windscreen) but I have heard a lot about New Mars. May very well be worth the try, particularly if your car is not under any sort of warranty and you can reach these garages easily. I always wanted to try out New Mars. But the thought of sailing across the ocean of humanity and vehicles called Kukatpally to reach the other end always pulled me back.
I am thinking of going to New Mars for the next service. Btw, my car was last serviced in November and has done only 2000km after that. I guess I still have some time.
Old 22nd December 2022, 07:03   #43
BHPian

Any suggestions for a good TASS in Hyderabad? My Safari Storme needs some running repairs and I am fed up with Tejaswi.

Any bankable suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks