Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:26   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Dealership delivers Omni without registration. Fined on Road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
PS: IMO the thread title is slightly off the mark and does not exactly describe the issue. Rather it might spook existing OMNI owners unnecessarily as this has nothing to do with OMNI, the vehicle or services related to it as such. Mods might want to change the title a bit.
Agree with Wanderer. Also, mods may please change the title of this thread to something like "Dealership delivers car without registration. Fined on Road!" ; as had it been any other car, the result would have been the same. (barring those VIP type cars ) Nothing to do with Omni and even the manufacturer.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:34   #17
BHPian

Re: OMNI customers!! Be prepared for step motherly treatment from MARUTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Agree with Wanderer. Also, mods may please change the title of this thread to something like "Dealership delivers car without registration. Fined on Road!" ; as had it been any other car, the result would have been the same. (barring those VIP type cars ) Nothing to do with Omni and even the manufacturer.
Saket, If the same event had happened with say Swift, then could ROHAN tell MARUTI that the vehicle was overloaded?? Just rethink why MARUTI is not making the dealer responsible. It is only because it is OMNI and they themselves don't trust their OMNI buyers!
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:53   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharad_agl View Post
Saket, If the same event had happened with say Swift, then could ROHAN tell MARUTI that the vehicle was overloaded?? Just rethink why MARUTI is not making the dealer responsible. It is only because it is OMNI and they themselves don't trust their OMNI buyers!
You may be right on this point as Omni can be a softer target for charged with overloading. But the issue is that the car was impounded because it had no registration, not because it was overloaded. Because the dealership itself is at fault, they have tried to sidelined themselves from the matter by targeting you and your vehicle.
However, as your car had just 4 occupants in total, this could have been confirmed by the occupants and the authorities who impounded your vehicle. You had supporting documents too that the vehicle was impounded for no registration and NOT for overloading.

Sharad, I think it was a bad time for you and unfortunately that also costed you heavily. But the most sensible thing would be settle the matter with the dealership itself, if you are in talking terms with them for some extra favors for your car like free services, etc. or if you really want to escalate the issue, you should contact the RM for Maruti Suzuki in your area. They can act tough on written complaints on dealerships, though not sure where it can lead.

Regards,
Saket
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I think even if the event had happened with Swift or GV or any other car from any other manufacturer the dealers would have come out with an excuse some way or the other just to extricate themselves from the mess. While manufacturers are responsible for what their dealerships do in servicing the vehicle, in such cases you can not put all the onus on the manufacturer.

In fact in many states AFAIK, the state MV rules explicitely puts the responsibilty of registration (temp or permanent) upon the dealer selling the vehicle and not the manufacturer. And as such manufacturers mostly do not like to get involved in case of the RC and insurance claims issues (unless its company co branded insurance).

Ofcourse, I'd love to see the company give some spanking to the crooked dealers even if in the background or away from the eyes of the customers. Generally, almost all dealers of all manufacturers are always upto some mischief at the cost of us customers. And suffice it to say that we must be super cautious in dealing with dealers, be it Maruti or Merc.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 23rd May 2013 at 14:02.
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Dealership delivers Omni without registration. Fined on Road!

Quote:
What about people not referring to TEAMBHP checklist. Why as a customer we are at mercy of manufacturers? I have always used TEAMBHP checklist for myself as well as my friends/family but only concentrated on car instead of registration etc..
The car was not been driven from 29thMarch to 10th April. But since dealer was taking too long to get the RC, he assured that you can start using the car
The formalities with the documentation is also equally important like the car.
Not taking out the car for couple of weeks is not the solution. You should have confirmed with the dealer whether they had registered the car or not. True, getting the registration certificate will be delayed. But the registration number will be allotted on the date of registration itself. Having owned many vehicles you should not have missed this.

Last edited by rajeev k : 23rd May 2013 at 14:27.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sharad, I think it was a bad time for you and unfortunately that also costed you heavily. But the most sensible thing would be settle the matter with the dealership itself, if you are in talking terms with them for some extra favors for your car like free services, etc. or if you really want to escalate the issue, you should contact the RM for Maruti Suzuki in your area. They can act tough on written complaints on dealerships, though not sure where it can lead.

Regards,
Saket
I agree with you. The main reason for sharing my experience with BHPian's is to inform them the expectation from MARUTI and their dealers in case you decide to buy OMNI. After such a bad treatment, no way I am going back to dealer and talk to them about compensation. They have already lost much more than 27K by now. As a auto enthusiast and proud BHPian, I am always referred to, before a car purchase in my family/ friend circle. Need not mention that my recommendations are totally anti MARUTI especially ROHAN. Nobody in my circle touches ROHAN. Just to inform you that we had been a loyal ROHAN customer since the original 800 was launched including our purchase of Esteems, Zen and many 800's.

Consumer laws are non-existent in India. As a BHPian we can make a difference by spreading a word around. Imagine you go to a Skoda dealership and ask them about their not so good ASS. You can start mentioning about Harish case etc.. and refer to teambhp. I am sure that if large number of people give this kind of feedback in the showrooms at the time of sale, we can expect much much better attention from manufacturers.
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • What was my fault?
  • At the moment, my garage has- Honda Accord(current gen), Fortuner Auto, Innova and Ertiga. Never had such a horrible experience before. Never imagined that the law authorities and car companies asses you by the car model you drive.
You should have got the temporary registration papers or the challan receipt at the time of delivery, which you did not check.

Having bought so many cars, this should have been the first part for you to check. I recall the PDI article on team-bhp, which clearly mentions, "Once the dealer gets the full payment and you sign on the dotted line, the entire responsibility becomes yours, so make sure you settle everything prior to this."
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
You should have got the temporary registration papers or the challan receipt at the time of delivery, which you did not check.

Having bought so many cars, this should have been the first part for you to check. I recall the PDI article on team-bhp, which clearly mentions, "Once the dealer gets the full payment and you sign on the dotted line, the entire responsibility becomes yours, so make sure you settle everything prior to this."
Asked the same thing at the time of delivery. Their reply was- Sir, UP-14 registration does not need temporary if the car is sold by a Ghaziabad dealer. Don't be surprised if ROHAN is still delivering cars without temporary/permanent registration!! They just pit ROHAN stickers and let the customer take the car.
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Asked the same thing at the time of delivery. Their reply was- Sir, UP-14 registration does not need temporary if the car is sold by a Ghaziabad dealer
I doubt whether that's allowed by any RTO! The sales person was probably running to meet is monthly numbers and you became his prey. He'll only get his commissions when the vehicle is delivered, when is when they consider the sale has happened.

Last edited by nitinbose : 23rd May 2013 at 14:34.
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Asked the same thing at the time of delivery. Their reply was- Sir, UP-14 registration does not need temporary if the car is sold by a Ghaziabad dealer. Don't be surprised if ROHAN is still delivering cars without temporary/permanent registration!! They just pit ROHAN stickers and let the customer take the car.
I would take this with a pinch of salt, I mean what ROHAN said in your case. Could someone who is in the business confirm the authenticity of this? I don't think any state will relax their rules to a particular area. This is of course a genuine case of fraud from the dealer and I agree with the OP on the fact that such things should be spread with the name and details of dealership who committed such mistakes.
Unity is strength and we at Team-BHP has it a lot! I still get proper care to my Swift whenever I go in for a service. Thanks to the initial escalation I did with Maruti and the "Driven by Team-BHP" sticker on my hatch.
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:43   #26
BHPian

Q4 Can dealer deliver vehicle without registration ?

No, the dealer cannot deliver unregistered vehicles to the customers. The dealer gets the vehicle registered in the name of customer first then will hand over the vehicle to the customer. If Un-registered vehicle is found plying on the road shall be liable to be prosecuted under MV Act. A trade certificate is issued to the dealers by the Transport Department to drive the unregistered vehicles upto the zonal office for registration purposes only.

In this case, isn't the dealer the offending party and shouldn't he/they be prosecuted by RTO? The dealer can say anything that the registration is being done etc. and the customer will believe him in good faith. Of course, the customer did overlook the temporary registration challan and took the vehicle to the road illegally, but the dealer is at fault for releasing the vehicle without the temporary registration challan. Imagine if this happens to a first time vehicle buyer who doesn't know anything about such paper work!! What will happen to him?
and btw, Maruti company has nothing to do with this, right??
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I doubt whether that's allowed by any RTO! The sales person was probably running to meet is monthly numbers and you became his prey. He'll only get his commissions when the vehicle is delivered, when is when they consider the sale has happened.
Just talked to my very friendly Toyota sales executive. He acknowledged that the UP-14 cars are delivered without temporary/permanent registration and it is infact illegal. But he never came across a case similar to mine. Total disregard for MV act here in UP by car dealers . We as customer are at receiving end.
sharad_agl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:02   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
[b] Imagine if this happens to a first time vehicle buyer who doesn't know anything about such paper work!! What will happen to him?
I will again reiterate what I said a few posts earlier, just to clarify this doubt regarding ignorance: Ignorantia juris non excusat. This is what is practised by the Indian law which in simple English means that that "ignorance of the law does not excuse".
So, if the dealer is to held responsible for selling an unregistered vehicle, the purchaser can also be held liable for driving an unregistered vehicle. Stating that someone did not know the law, does not excuses the purchaser.

Yes, in smaller towns it is a regular practice to deliver vehicles without registration, either permanent or temporary. I myself experience this in my city where I can see new vehicles with no numbers plying around. However, the rule says that you need to have at least a valid temp. registration, which is valid for 1 month. In the meanwhile, the permanent registration is to be procured. Also, the temporary registration should be displayed properly (readable) on the vehicle. But unfortubately all dealerships, esp. in the smaller cities neither educate the customer about this, not do it themselves, making the customer vulnerable to authorities on the road.

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th May 2013 at 01:45. Reason: Back to Back posts merged, thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need not mention that my recommendations are totally anti MARUTI especially ROHAN. Nobody in my circle touches ROHAN.
Thanks for sharing Sharad.

I had a few extreemly unpleasant experiences with Rohan Noida, Greater Noida and Rohan Gurgaon. I too think that it is best to stay away from Rohan. I had to sell off my 800 because of a Rohan's mistake during servicing.

However, I am very much satisfied with my other Marutis and other Maruti Service Centres in Delhi, Noida and Gurgaon.
Old 23rd May 2013, 15:33   #30
BHPian

After reading this thread, I am just thanking my luck that I didn't have to face something similar. I purchased my Linea from Oberoi Cars last year and even they delivered the car on TC. It took about a week to get the temp registration and a month to get the permanent registration. The dealer asked me not to take the car out of NCR with TC and there won't be any other hassles. I drove around in Noida and Delhi with TC for week.

Even during my Punto (Delhi registered), Oberoi delivered the car with TC however, this time they managed to give me the permanent registration within one week.

I guess this is a standard practice in Ghaziabad/Noida. Others from NCR can confirm.

Last edited by Biraj : 23rd May 2013 at 15:35. Reason: Changed NCR to Ghaziabad/Noida

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks