Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 19:06   #16
BHPian

re: Pre-owned Santro from Mahindra First Choice: Scratched Odo / Service issues

I dont feel the letter 8 as tampered, instead I feel it as misprinted from the company itself.
Even if It was tampered with I would still have no complain or grudge unless and untill I faced issues with maintenance and troublefree operation of the vehicle.

Infact you should be happy that (assuming) inspite of getting a tampered odo car your car has been good to you and gives you good service still now.
I would have been really happy instead because I got what I paid for- a car with troublefree operation and reasonable maintenance.
PS: I do understand your feelings though. And it can be that the odo was tampered by the owner before giving it to Mahindra First Choice. Anyway you should never trust the odo.
Old 13th July 2013, 20:51   #17
BHPian

You have had a car that has run almost 50k in 5 years with some minimum niggles. The car has never left you stranded on road. Small niggles are a part of every car, exception being very minutely maintained car.

I believe, you have got a good deal, leave aside the trouble of running around for the RC.

Also, you said that the tyres had around 10k left in them, that seems reasonable for a car having run 39k, if it was the first set of tyres.

After the purchase did you get services at the A.S.S.? If yes, I am sure people there might have told you about the details of the car or problems if any.

Forget the past and enjoy the car. Hope it does not give you any more troubles.
Old 13th July 2013, 20:55   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I like other teambhpians would also hesitate to authenticate your assertion that the odo of your 2003 Santro has been tampered with by MFC.
But tampering of the odo is like the oldest professional fraud practiced by second hand car sellers.
Not only mechanical but the digital odos succumb to tampering, it being tougher to detect frauds on the digital ones.Softwares can be used to manipulate digital odos without getting detected.
Number alignment on mechanical odos need to be checked and if there is any suspicion and the digits are up or down compared to the ones beside, tampering is suspected.

Pre-owned Santro from Mahindra First Choice: Scratched Odo / Service issues-odofraud-1.jpg

Pre-owned Santro from Mahindra First Choice: Scratched Odo / Service issues-odofraud2.jpg

alignment mismatch

Pre-owned Santro from Mahindra First Choice: Scratched Odo / Service issues-odometertamper_large.jpg

Also,the OEM tyre life and fitment of new tyres can be checked by their manufacturing date imprinted on the tyre's wall.So suppose if a car is a 2012 model, it will be fitted with tyres made in some month of 2012 (or Nov/Dec 2011 if the car is bought in Jan or Feb 2012). These tyres will last 35,000/ 40,000 kms if used on proper roads. So when the owner sells the car in 2014 with 35,000 kms on the odo and the 2012 tyres fitted,but now nearly bald, the mileage can be treated as genuine.If the tyres show a 2013 manufacturing date and the car shows 35,000 kms on the odo with tyre treads quite OK, fraud can be suspected.
The driiver's seat cushion suffers the most abuse as the car always will have one occupant compulsorily - its driver during all runs. This can be detected while buying a second hand car.

Please also peruse these threads/ links related to the topic:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-fraud-4.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-odometer.html

http://www.simple-car-answers.com/Od...Tampering.html

So what you suspect geekyengineer with the single digit "8" suffering some deformity, may be totally a false assertion.Hence, enjoy your drive and let the trusty Santro do its innings with miles of smiles in your custody.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th July 2013 at 21:22.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 23:25   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The only mistake the OP seems to have done is having the wrong impression about his odometer being tampered - and gone the full flow in putting up a thread and all to garner pity/support in his very initial posts on this forum.

Altough Mahindra First Choice is not known to be honest on every deal they do, but still the thread heading is misleading and wrong in this matter. Request mods to edit the thread name accordingly.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 03:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Do not worry as your car has been giving you more than 40K KMs of trouble free miles after the purchase.
But except for the delay in ownership change and the suspicious odo digit rest appears fine with the car. So drive on and forget this episode.
In my opinion, you should have, prior to the purchase checked the service history of the car and also looked on tell tale signs like wear pattern on clutch and brake pedal rubber, gear lever knob, condition of tyres like year of manufacturing etc which would have cleared the air on suspicions on the odo reading..

Always take with you in such cases of inspecting an used car, a friend who knows about cars and not merely one who knows how to drive alone. Perhaps that could be the fourth mistake in the episode.

But again as the car is snag free, drive on.
Old 14th July 2013, 12:35   #21
BHPian

Team I am overwhelmed with the responses.

Not the case that I didn't do my homework recently before posting this article. Following the 80k mark with number 8 misprinted, I checked with my regular mechanic as well who services my vehicle presently. He opened the ODO assembly. Behind it there is a plastic like material with copper tracks printed on it for circuit assembly. Yes it has marks of scratches which is unusual. (will post pics if possible). Plus he told me exactly the same thing that the manipulation is generally done by using a machine mostly but if the owner would have tried to do some jugad before selling this to MFC, then its quite possible that the guy who did this for the original owner, messed it up.

Secondly as I have mentioned in my original post I don't mean to endorse any other used car brand over this article. This is how I was treated and I want people to pay caution when making a used car purchase.

The spare tyre that was almost blad was reading year 2002 where as the other tyres read 2005. I had seen this when I changed the tyres with Michelin.

As far as the major maintenance costs are concerned they include the following:

1. Power Steering leak issue twice: costed me around 9000/-
2. Starter motor overhauling multiple times and then failure: aggregate around 8000/-
3. Suspension issues: 5000/- approx

(Other wear and tear related maintenance costs not mentioned here)

I have already put this episode as a matter of past and moved as mentioned in OP. But I still want to reiterate that the branded used car dealerships are as bad as anyother local dealerships in India and people should follow the check list before purchase which I didn't do in my case.

Thanks
geekyengineer
geekyengineer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 16:25   #22
BHPian

I sympathize with you. I personally do not prefer to take from any branded or unbranded used car seller because:
1) We all know these guys manipulate things and in a more intellectual way than a normal seller would do.
2) These guys can make a car met with an accident look like as if nothing happened to it and sell it for huge profit.
3) These guys do a complete touch-up of the body, which makes us feel that the car is less used or a better car.
4) We cannot trust these guys because obviously they will work for their profit not for our benefit.

Better one should have his own mechanic to give feedback and should do all the research himself. Also buy directly from the owner, that will give a feel about service,issues and nature of the driver which used/abused the car.
But inspite of all this risks are their in preowned vechiles and it all depends on lady luck.
Also better to buy a new car rather than going for a higher segment old car with the same money. This is especially true who would not like to take that risk.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 21:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@geeky engineer
Is it possible that only one digit of the odo can be tampered with, I suppose if the tampering is done wouldnt other digits also bear the tampering signs. Surprising that you waited for 5 yrs to find out. I strongly feel that this is your imagination. You have enjoyed the car for 5 yrs, I would suggest continue enjoying without any remorse.

Had you joined the BHP forum earlier, you could asked for expert advice before proceeding. Was the MFC outlet by any chance Automxx near Nitin Co in Thane?

Yes that area is called Khopat if I am not wrong.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:18   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Why are people calling the OP out on feeling cheated as his meter was tampered?
Agreed, it was a lapse on his part to not be aware of the practices, or the lack thereof, but isn't that why big names like Mahindra and Maruti got into the business, to lend credence to the market?

The meter reading is one of the checkpoints to decide the value of the car. It's not an apt analogy, but would you be happy paying 22k price for 18k gold?

Even if one were to accept the almost criminal negligence, in my eyes, of setting the odo back, why the hell do these guys go, "Sir, genuine reading, Sir! ",knowing full well it's otherwise?
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 08:29   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
.. but isn't that why big names like Mahindra and Maruti got into the business, to lend credence to the market?
But the feedback we get to hear hasnt given these big names much credence either ! The impression I have is that they buy the cars, and sell it at much higher prices. Cant hold them to their word, and cant depend on them for any issues. In this very case, it took months & months to get he original documents.

The so called 100+ check points is eye-wash. Also, these dealerships do work on the cars for dents & dings - while it is good they take care of such things, but question is - how honest are they about this with prospective customers ?
Old 15th July 2013, 09:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Geeky - You took this in 2008, and in 2013, you are still driving it. I dont think the digit 8 and its scratches should bother you so much. Having driven this for 5 years, and i presume, with less issues, looks like you have had a good experience. So, just enjoy the rides..
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 11:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
A 5 year old compact petrol hatch(in 2008) with digits touching 80k range? Doubtful.
I have a 2 year old compact petrol hatch (Chevy Beat) 41,100 kms on the ODO already, so yes it is possible.

I agree with other members geekyengineer, maybe you're getting carried away due to bad experience regarding the RC. If your car has run fine all these years put the doubts behind you and enjoy the vehicle. Most of the used-car dealers are known for malpractices but in my opinion you got away with a lot like phamilyman mentioned. The under the table process was them taking advantage of you not being equipped with knowledge that you possess now and the support group that team bhp is.

Edit : Ninjatalli : The OP has the full right to express his distress/opinions/ ideas on this forum unless they cross the rules. The OP is not looking for pity or sympathy. Do folks talk about their problems/experiences to garner support? Also why should the thread be renamed? Have you reached any conclusions yet with factual info? Having an opinion is different from being dismissive. Please refrain.

Last edited by navin : 15th July 2013 at 12:08. Reason: request from post author
Old 15th July 2013, 12:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi Geekyengineer? How did you arrive at a connection between the scratch/paint on the ODO & tampering? I doubt its tampered as from you've mentioned, you've driven the vehicle for about 40K kms without much trouble. The repairs you've mentioned are default at those distances. Wish you many more happy miles!
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 12:52   #29
BHPian

Mods please change the title as the car is Santro & not a Wagon R.

Thanks
g.e.

Most Viewed