Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 14:10   #1
BHPian

JMD Skoda, Bhandup: Shoddy work and bad attitude

Well it was too good to last. Whenever I read about Skoda car owners being burnt by the company's dealers, I would touch wood and sigh in relief that I was not the victim. That ended this month.
Given below is my experience with JMD Bhandup, my subsequent complaint to Skoda Customer Care and lack of redressal from the company and the dealer.
There are a lot of threads on this forum where people have expressed the hope that Skoda's service has improved. JMD Skoda has also been touted as one of the better dealers of Skoda.
Judge for yourself: (I have blanked out my email ID and Car regn number in below mails exchanged with Skoda India)

Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:36 PM
To: SKIN R: Aurangabad, Skoda India Customer Care
Subject: Skoda Octavia vRS - VIN TMBELJ1U14*******
Dear Sir
My car was given for repair to JMD Bhandup, Mumbai workshop on 6th July, 2013. The car was accepted by JMD’s service advisor, Mr. Charith. At the time of accepting the car, all lights were checked in my presence, by Mr. Charith, and except for the parking light in the RHS headlamp cluster, all were found to be in working order.

I had instructed JMD Bhandup to replace the parking bulb in the RHS headlamp cluster.

Yesterday, on 10th July evening, the car was delivered back to me and when I checked the car at JMD workshop, before taking delivery, I found the following defects:

1. LHS xenon bulb was not working (this was working perfectly fine for the last several years and also when I handed over the car to JMD Bhandup)

As I was driving home from the JMD Bhandup workshop, I found one more defect:

2. RHS main beam was not working

At the workshop, Mr. Charith’s response to my query was “the lights are electronic items, and although they could be working when we took your car for repairs, they have malfunctioned during repairs”.

I find the simultaneous failure of the LHS Xenon and the RHS main beam, suspicious. Clearly, the work done was shoddy. Please note that the car has been driven by myself right from 2005 onwards and I have always kept it in a tip-top condition.

I request you to instruct JMD Bhandup, to correct the LHS Xenon and the RHS main beam at their cost, with a copy to me.

Thank you.

SKIN R: Aurangabad, Skoda India Customer Care [mailto:customercare@skoda-auto.co.in]
Sent: July 11, 2013 04:11 PM
To: xxxx, Bomi
Subject: Acknowledgement Mail: Mr.Bomi

Dear Mr.Bomi,
Greetings from Skoda Auto!!! Acknowledgement
We are in receipt of your below mail and had noted the contents. In order to address the concern effectively, Request you to kindly share with us your vehicle registration number or plate number. Please be rest assured that the concern will addressed at your entire satisfaction as per Skoda Auto norms.

Hope your understanding on the same and assuring our best services at all times.
Regards,
Nikhil Poojary
Customer Support | 1800-209-4646
Škoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd

xxxx, Bomi [mailto:Bomi.xxxx@xxxx.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:49 PM
To: SKIN R: Aurangabad, Skoda India Customer Care
Subject: RE: Acknowledgement Mail: Mr.Bomi
Nikhil,
My vehicle registration number is MH**** ****.
Thanks

SKIN R: Aurangabad, Skoda India Customer Care [mailto:customercare@skoda-auto.co.in]
Sent: July 11, 2013 05:17 PM
To: xxxx, Bomi
Cc:crm.bhandup@skodajmd.com;Sheetal.Khanijoan@skodajmd.com
Subject: Acknowledgement Mail: MH-**-**-**** Mr.Bomi

Dear Mr.Bomi,

Greetings from Skoda Auto!!! Acknowledgement
At the outset we understand your concern and regret for the inconvenience caused to your good selves, if any. We have taken up the matter with the respective dealership and will revert back to you by way of further resolution at the earliest. Kindly bear with us till such times.
Trust your kind understanding on the same.
Regards,
Nikhil Poojary
Customer Support | 1800-209-4646
Škoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd

Fom:xxxx, Bomi
Sent: July 17, 2013 03:50 PM
To: 'SKIN R: Aurangabad, Skoda India Customer Care'
Subject: RE: Acknowledgement Mail: MH-**-**-**** Mr.Bomi

Dear Nikhil
I have not heard from Skoda or the dealership on this matter that I raised 6 days ago. If there is no solution to offer, please state so.

Thanks.

Sent: July 22, 2013 10:29 AM
To: 'SKIN R: Aurangabad, Skoda India Customer Care'
Subject: RE: Acknowledgement Mail: MH-**-**-**** Mr.Bomi - Final Reminder

Dear Nikhil
Its been 11 days since I raised a complaint to Skoda India. There has been no response from Skoda India or its dealer JMD Auto, Bhandup.

After 3 more working days, I will post this thread on Team BHP forum, of which I am a member. Let the public and your other customers be aware of how you treat customers.

Last edited by Bomi : 29th July 2013 at 14:26. Reason: Font issue
Bomi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 14:31   #2
BHPian

re: JMD Skoda, Bhandup: Shoddy work and bad attitude

This is really sad: A company with good product losing the battle due pathertic after sales support and a 'devil-may-care' attitude.

I wish Skoda could see what they can achieve if they just start caring for their customers.
Old 29th July 2013, 18:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did you try calling the number mentioned in the signature?

After sales service has become a major decising factor influencing my car buying decisions. I have taken a Oath to never buy a Fiat or a Skoda...(dont like Tata as well, but then the Safari just makes my heart melt )
Old 29th July 2013, 18:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Did you try calling the number mentioned in the signature?
No I did not. If they did not respond to emails for 20 days, I expect nothing from them.
Old 29th July 2013, 18:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Skoda woes are never ending, I love their cars, but hate the company. Gosh, after reading of the way they treated Harishv, I would never buy any of their cars, even though the Yeti is just perfect for me.
Old 29th July 2013, 18:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

No I say this because I am trying to provide the benefit of doubt to Skoda. It might happen that they have a issue resolution matrix which can allocate your complaint to a service agent, and in your case that person might have been on leave (due to whatever reasons).

I understand your plight and not defending Skoda, but just looking at a possibility.
Old 29th July 2013, 18:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
Well it was too good to last. Whenever I read about Skoda car owners being burnt by the company's dealers, I would touch wood and sigh in relief that I was not the victim. That ended this month.
JMD Bhandup does have quite a few cases like this. I had a very bad experience once while doing a regular servicing. I gave the car for servicing and asked the guys to do a general check. I never had any specific problem with anything. When I got the car back, to my horror, the car was bouncing all over like it was being driven on speed breakers even when there was absolutely no speed breaker and I was driving on the concrete stretch on LBS just outside their workshop. When I immediately went back, a mechanic checked the car and told me that the rear suspension is faulty. When I inquired further, the service person finally gave the explanation that when they opened up the suspension for inspection, the rear one would not go back to its original position and will have to be replaced else the car won't stop bouncing. I had to shell out another 20K for the suspension and get the car back on street.
Earlier also, I was given personal phone numbers by the service boys telling that I can get the servicing done through them privately to avoid high costs. They said they can deliver Skoda original spares in lot less price than what is charged in the workshop. I never used such dubious ways but it does show that there are chances of good parts siphoned off from the vehicles coming for servicing to be used for such private jobs. Your Xenons might be one of such replacements.
yogibear007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 18:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the club @Bomi.

So they stole your lamps. Wow, Skoda, wow.

That's why I am not inclined to start an ownership thread for my Laura on team-bhp in spite of having the car for last 3.5 years, as I don't know what all I will have to write about...

I just had my third regular service done in June at Europa Auto, Pune and they under filled the engine oil. After the service, when the car was washed and ready, they wanted me to just pay the bill, take the delivery and drive away like a good obidient (and ignorant) customer. When I asked them to show me the oil level, it was right at "MIN". Then as usual, I had to shout and make quite a scene, after which, they filled in 1 L to bring it to MAX. So in effect, they tried to rob me of ~1000 rupees. They failed because I know them. But then they may be doing this routinely on other cars, even if they are caught once or twice, they get away with the rest. Considering ~20 cars a day, just look at the money they are minting by such thefts. Even though they gave me 1 L oil in the end, I registered a complaint with Skoda, it's been more than a 1.5 months now and there is no reply.

The bulbs they stole from your car - how much are they worth?
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 20:50   #9
Team-BHP Support

May I suggest you go back to the workshop and also speak to the service manager too? This is nuts, and Skoda better do something about it.
Old 29th July 2013, 23:51   #10
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bomi,

Join the club man. We own a little Fabia since April 2011 and also get my car serviced from JMD. The car has done almost 50,000kms and three services till now. First one was at JMD Bhandup, Second one was at JMD Andheri, third one again at Bhandup.

As you must have already figured out by now, they (Service Advisor) are far from proficient. Actually that's a very soft way to put it. We also own another car, Honda Civic and right from the entry at Linkway Honda, everything seems so much more pleasurable. JMD Bhandup is so, so, so pressed for space, their SA's and floor managers lack any sense, that could be expected of a brand that sells vehicles upwards of 10 Lakhs and is supposedly a premium brand.

Every time I go to service centre, I never leave the car out of my sight, not even for a minute. When the technicians go for lunch, I go after they have gone, finish my lunch quickly and stand next to my car. I have just no faith in these nincompoops. You really have to see the way these buffoons drive in that little excuse of service centre. Also, half the things that are a part of the routine checklist issued by Skoda are not adhered to; one time in my car, they just changed the oil on the ground, did not even take it on the ramp and wanted me to sign saying that the work was done to my satisfaction. No break checks, no suspension inspection, under carriage inspection, nothing whatsoever. And then on top of it, they have the audacity to charge labour for all the work that they have NOT done. I made them take my car on the ramp, check everything to my satisfaction and then paid, signed.

I can write stories about the abysmal quality of support provided by Skoda Service, which is why I am selling my car in next couple of months, at best. The product itself is pretty decent but this kind of service really takes a toll. Its a complete waste of a day and extremely stressful because you have to be constantly on your toes, if you miss something, they'll skip what they're supposed to do ! I am really frustrated with their billing too, they charge a bomb for their spares as well, they have a much higher price for the oil which they buy from market, in bulk but charge you almost Rs 1,300/liter; whereas the price for the damn can is Rs 3,8xx.00 I made them charge me the MRP and not a penny more.

When I had reached there, SA had given me an estimate of Rs 14k for 45,000kms service (for a Fabia). I did all that was required and lowered my bill to Rs 10,xxx.00. Its nearly 40% less than the originally quoted estimate ! They add all sorts of rubbish cleaning and what not, absolutely not required but that which makes SA reach his monthly quota of targets. There was room for more reduction of about 500-600 INR but frankly I was exhausted by that time of the arguments and decided to pay up and get out of there.

Phew, end of rant.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th July 2013 at 15:00. Reason: Removing personal comments.
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 00:10   #11
Team-BHP Support

Forgot to mention that it may be worthwhile to go to a service centre which is actually decent. The Autobahn service station at Sewri is not bad by any means, though of course it is not excellent or anything. But they do solve problems and give you the car in a better condition than you drop it there in. Can help you guys out with some people there if you want.
Old 30th July 2013, 10:00   #12
BHPian

Funny, I was about to take my Laura to JMD Bhandup on the recommendation of BHPian 'ACM'. I have spoken to one Mr. Sudarshan there a couple of times to ask some doubts, and he seemed like a nice guy.
Now it's clear that there is no option for us Skoda owners but to go to independent private workshops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The Autobahn service station at Sewri is not bad by any means, though of course it is not excellent or anything. But they do solve problems and give you the car in a better condition than you drop it there in. Can help you guys out with some people there if you want.
Please let me know whom to contact there. Thanks.
Old 30th July 2013, 11:23   #13
BHPian

Guys, I really do not know whether my working xenon lamp was swiped. So I will not accuse JMD of that. I do know that my complaint was to replace the RHS parking bulb and JMD had no business to open up the LHS light cluster. After waiting in the customer lounge for over an hour, I decided to check out what work was being carried out on my car, as my complaints were really minor. It was then I saw that the LHS lamp cluster had been pulled out. On enquiry, the SA told me the LHS xenon was not working and it would cost Rs. 15K to replace!!!
I preferred to take my car away. If anyone knows of a reliable electrician who can fix my lights, please let me know.
Bomi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 11:35   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

I just had my third regular service done in June at Europa Auto, Pune and they under filled the engine oil. After the service, when the car was washed and ready, they wanted me to just pay the bill, take the delivery and drive away like a good obidient (and ignorant) customer. When I asked them to show me the oil level, it was right at "MIN". Then as usual, I had to shout and make quite a scene, after which, they filled in 1 L to bring it to MAX. So in effect, they tried to rob me of ~1000 rupees.
Wow so I'm not the only one who feels they underfill the oil. I've experienced this with my last two services. The oil level after the service hovers around the min level. It easily takes about a litre from this level. The manual says max capacity is 4.6 Lts and my bill says they've filled 4.6 lts . Maybe next time I should ask them to replenish oil in my presence.

Seems like the Skoda service time bomb is ticking on our heads. Its been good for me so far, don't know how long it will last though. Stealing parts from cars coming for service is just too much! I think owners should carry their own job cards for service and show the service advisors that each part is working as it should be and take their signature on it. They make us sign at a zillion places before allowing us to take our cars back. This time I refused to sign as I needed to satisfy myself whether they had actually resolved the issues reported, which was not possible with a short test drive around the crowded streets surrounding the service centre.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th July 2013 at 11:39.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 12:59   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Wow so I'm not the only one who feels they underfill the oil. I've experienced this with my last two services. The oil level after the service hovers around the min level. It easily takes about a litre from this level. The manual says max capacity is 4.6 Lts and my bill says they've filled 4.6 lts . Maybe next time I should ask them to replenish oil in my presence.

Seems like the Skoda service time bomb is ticking on our heads. Its been good for me so far, don't know how long it will last though. Stealing parts from cars coming for service is just too much! I think owners should carry their own job cards for service and show the service advisors that each part is working as it should be and take their signature on it. They make us sign at a zillion places before allowing us to take our cars back. This time I refused to sign as I needed to satisfy myself whether they had actually resolved the issues reported, which was not possible with a short test drive around the crowded streets surrounding the service centre.
Skoda by no means are the only one doing such stuff. We as customers have no option but to be cynical. I found the coolant reservoir below the L mark after my 60000 km service, when they flushed the radiator and refilled fresh coolant/water solution.

I have a Hyundai, and I always refuse to leave my car in the service bay and go sit in the 'customer lounge', though everyone and his uncle insists on it every few mins. I write my own notes in the 'customer notes' section on the job card in clear capital letters, and make the SA sign it before I handover the car. NO ADDITIVES OR FLUSHES are the first thing on my list every time. The SA always tries not to write that down, then the items show up on the bill. 'We forgot saar, or it's good for your car saar!' Happened to me a couple of times. The first time I paid up, the second time I asked them to drain the additive-laced engine oil and give my car a fresh refill. The SA finally took the items off the bill once I gave the manager a dressing down.

Also, I never sign the completed job card until I'm satisfied with the work done. I ask up front if they have an issue with that, and prefer to take my car elsewhere if they say yes. It helps if you can befriend one of the mechanics and insist that your car gets allocated to him. I call my mechanic up once I book my service, and he ensures my car is assigned to him.

I've become a kind of feared character at my regular service center. More than once, I've overheard a mechanic refuse to service my car, "Ye saab bahut detail mein check karta hai. Main doosra do car service kar dunga, inka nahin" (This guy checks in minute detail. I'll service 2 other cars, but not his).

All this, just because I insist they do their job properly.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th July 2013 at 13:02.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks