Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 11:08   #1
BHPian

Skoda India - No parts available for the Octavia vRS

We own one of the more desirable Skodas released in India - the Octavia vRS. Barely run 5OK in 10 years, the car is delightful to drive and has more power and equipment than many of today's offerings. But there is one flaw. You guessed it. Service.

Let me relate just the latest instance. The car developed a misfire on a long run and I showed it to Marikar Motors, Trivandrum, Kerala. Their diagnosis: ignition coils have failed and all coils and plugs to be replaced. They said what I've heard very often at Skoda dealerships - parts are not available and have to be ordered from Skoda India. An advance was promptly collected with the assurance the parts would reach latest within 15 days. Its been 5 weeks now and no sign of the parts!

Repeated visits and calls to Marikar produced little result. They are 'hoping' my parts are in the next consignment! Their systems show no precise information on this parts order. So the car is immobilised and I am locked into to Marikar Trivandrum. Truth be told, the dealer cannot be faulted; its the company that has to take the blame! I did contact the company, who sent me a standard email response which read something like the announcements in railway stations: "Train is late. Inconvenience caused is deeply regretted!"

Apart from this latest episode, the entire service experience at Skoda dealerships in Bangalore (TAFE and Vinayak) and Kerala has been a major disappointment. Service advisors have little knowledge of the car, particularly the rarer models. None of them can provide the personal attention that you look for. For example: the bloke at Marikar started up the car and told me, "this is a petrol car". That was about all he could figure out! The fact that it was a vRS with a different engine and equipment was entirely lost on the man.

Finally, some years back, I wrote a well meaning letter to the Volkswagen Group nominee on the board of Skoda India; highlighting the dichotomy between their fine products and the woeful service quality. Never received a reply. I suppose the man's Indian secretary would have shredded the letter!!

Good luck to fellow BHPians who have invested in the new Ocatvia!
phil001 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 12:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda India - No parts available for the Octavia vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil001 View Post
Good luck to fellow BHPians who have invested in the new Ocatvia!
Did you check with other dealerships in Kerala? Marikar is not really known for their customer service. I had interacted with them (Cochin dealership) a couple of years back, and noticed that they had zero zest to sell the product. Probably its worth calling and checking with Vision motors in Thrissur/Kozhikode, or St. Antony’s in Cochin.
Old 12th November 2013, 12:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Did you check with other dealerships in Kerala? Marikar is not really known for their customer service. I had interacted with them (Cochin dealership) a couple of years back, and noticed that they had zero zest to sell the product. Probably its worth calling and checking with Vision motors in Thrissur/Kozhikode, or St. Antony’s in Cochin.
I'm afraid not. We are based in Trivandrum and Marikar is the only option there. Didn't know of St. Antony's. Might be heading there the way it is going...
Old 12th November 2013, 14:55   #4
BHPian

Eh, they have just launched the new Octavia and have been advertising the Rapid all over the newspapers here, its a case of mis-communication of some sort or as pointed above a disgruntled employee.
The Autobahn dealership has been giving test drives of the new octavia as well, was at Autobahn on Saturday itself.

From my experience, he service and supply of parts has been an issue with them, but service is now getting better for sure. For parts, they do take time, but eventually its done in a reasonable time frame.
Old 12th November 2013, 16:55   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda India - No parts available for the Octavia vRS

These two links might help you / other vRS owners. It's a special car, so do hold on to it

1. Skodaparts : Ajmat has ordered from them during his vRS days.

2. vRS Achilles Heel
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 14:26   #6
BHPian

Quote:
This should be useful. Many thanks! I was just thinking of how I can import parts, if India supply proves difficult.
In addition, try the contact mentioned in post # 10 of the discussion here

Could be useful since they're supposedly based in Kochi. Good luck!
Old 13th November 2013, 15:35   #7
BHPian

I replaced two ignition coils on mine from the aftermarket a few months ago. Dont know about Trivandrum but here in Delhi there are enough importers who have the coils readily available. IMO A** is worth nothing as far as Skoda is concerned. Not worth it having a car like that lying with a dealer for this much time. You could have even ordered the coils off ebay UK and got them within a week.
Old 13th November 2013, 18:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
I replaced two ignition coils on mine from the aftermarket a few months ago. Dont know about Trivandrum but here in Delhi there are enough importers who have the coils readily available. IMO A** is worth nothing as far as Skoda is concerned. Not worth it having a car like that lying with a dealer for this much time. You could have even ordered the coils off ebay UK and got them within a week.
Good advise. I wont waste time with Skoda again. Will import and get the dealer to fix it. Thanks!

How do I ensure the parts imported will fit my car? Is my VIN globally valid? Or is there some other way to conclusively identify my car to the foreign supplier? A car badged the Octavia vRS in India may be a different model overseas. Please guide me.
Old 13th November 2013, 18:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Also, could you please share the names and contact details of the Delhi importers you mentioned?
Old 14th November 2013, 18:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Good advise. I wont waste time with Skoda again. Will import and get the dealer to fix it. Thanks!

How do I ensure the parts imported will fit my car? Is my VIN globally valid? Or is there some other way to conclusively identify my car to the foreign supplier? A car badged the Octavia vRS in India may be a different model overseas. Please guide me.
Each part has a part number and I belive VINs are universally valid. In instances where I have ordered parts from abroad I have done so on the basis of part numbers. If part numbers match there is no reason why they wont fit. Also while searching for parts it will be good to be as specific as possible about the vehicle/engine type. While car part websites have drop down for each vehicle, for something like ebay UK, you can mention 'Skoda Octavia 1.8T 20v ignition coil' rather than 'Skoda Octavia vRS ignition coil'.

Also get hold of a good FNG or a good mechanic outside A**. Will be useful over time. Replacement of ignition coils is no rocket science so can be easily done without the assitance of A**.

The thing with Skodas that I have learnt is that it is good to know how to mantain them on your own. I avoid A** like plague because every time I have gone to them, they have dissapointed.

Quote:
Also, could you please share the names and contact details of the Delhi importers you mentioned?
There are plenty in Kashmere Gate area of New Delhi. I will PM a few numbers.
Old 14th November 2013, 18:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

phil,
I've not had any first hand experience with these folks, but I've seen their boards.
http://www.germantech.co.in/index.php
maybe the bhpian's in tvm can comment ?
Old 16th November 2013, 17:01   #12
BHPian

This just in. The parts arrived after almost 6 weeks and were fitted. The car is running well. We had a surprise at the billing desk. The dealer felt that ignition coils should not fail so comprehensively on a car that has run just 50K, and took it up with Skoda India. Skoda concurred and agreed to bear the entire cost! Thats about 10K saved!!

So all's well that ends well...

Many thanks to all the BHPians who reached out and offered so many solutions.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd January 2014 at 05:37. Reason: Please avoid quoting a large post specially when its on same page as it causes incovenience to our mobile readers, thanks
phil001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:46   #13
BHPian

When my car went in for a routine service @ 60,000 on odo, I also had a pleasant surprise when the service adviser informed that all four of the ignitors has been replaced with new ones, free of cost! Now that was something good coming out of Skoda!
aditbelw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 20:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This just in. The parts arrived after almost 6 weeks and were fitted. The car is running well. We had a surprise at the billing desk. The dealer felt that ignition coils should not fail so comprehensively on a car that has run just 50K, and took it up with Skoda India. Skoda concurred and agreed to bear the entire cost! Thats about 10K saved!!

So all's well that ends well...

Many thanks to all the BHPians who reached out and offered so many solutions.

Wow! Skoda giving you free parts after so may years of running (purely based on mileage!) Extremely commendable.

And you reported this 2 months ago and no members/Skoda owners took notice (me included)!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
When my car went in for a routine service @ 60,000 on odo, I also had a pleasant surprise when the service adviser informed that all four of the ignitors has been replaced with new ones, free of cost! Now that was something good coming out of Skoda!
Wow. Wow. Wow.
Way to go Skoda.
Finally, a good car is getting good support.

I still fondly remember that Octavia RS print ad: "You are a family man. Don't drive at more than 222km/hr" or something. And the catch-line: "Finally Rally is a family sport" or something.

Cheers!
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:40   #15
BHPian

As someone who is possibly buying a pre-owned Laura TSi, that is very heartening to hear.

All you read nowadays is how Skoda India is taking everyone for a ride - not very inspiring to read - this is a very welcome change.

Unless, they stay that way in Delhi! :S

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks