Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2014, 21:53   #1
BHPian

Atrocious sales experience at Arya Honda, Bhandup *EDIT: car now delivered!*

Hi folks,

Want to raise a red flag against the said dealer Arya Honda, Mumbai. Do not buy any Honda cars from them, if you are planning to, do it at your risk, however I am sure, you will not think of going back to the dealer, once you read about my harrowing time and experience with them.

A quick question to all. Do you make 100% payment to a dealer before the dealer allots the car or before you see the car in person???

Date: 1st March-12th March 2014

Me and my colleague are entitled for company cars. It was only 2 years back that I had picked up 2012 Honda City V-AT from Solitaire Honda, so I again did not want to buy another 10 lac car, and hence I settled for Hyundai i10. However, my colleague was always a Honda fan, and he took this opportunity and decided to buy the Honda City. He knows that I am team-bhpian, therefore he requested me for my help in dealing with the dealers and helping him select the variant. After good amount of debate, we finally settled on Honda City SV-AT variant for the car.

As I had already dealt with Solitaire Honda in the past, I quickly called up my Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) to send me a quote for the 4th Generation Honda City Ivtec SV-AT. The CRM Solitaire Honda was up-front and honest to say that there is 4 months waiting for the car, even though it would be a corporate booking as there is lot of back log for the model. We were ok with this, as I was aware that in general 4 months is the waiting period all across Mumbai. Next, I asked my CRM to collect the booking amount cheque from us the subsequent day.

The next day, as my colleague was on his way to office, he came across Arya Honda at Bhandup, Mumbai. Since he also stays in Bhandup, over a tea he discussed with me on checking the car for the sake of checking with Arya Honda. I dialed there number, the receptionist transferred my call to one SA, Mr. Vikrant. I inquired about the variant and also informed that mine is a corporate booking, so entire amount will come from the company, hence what is the best you can do for delivery. Probably, out of excitement he committed 45 to 60 days to me. I cross questioned saying then why are other dealers saying 4 months, to which he convincingly replies, "that waiting is for V and Vx model and not for SV model, other dealers are fooling you sir."

I discuss with my colleague who also gets convinced and we call him to our office to collect the payment.

Date: 25th March 2014

SA, Vikrant never turned up to office to collect the cheque, we were also busy traveling, hence we couldn't go to the dealership any earlier. However on 25th March we touch base with Vikrant again to check if the car is still available in 45-60 days time frame, he again convinces us positively so in the evening we go and hand over the cheque of INR 51000/- to him. (I am attaching the receipt of payment giving by Arya Honda)

Atrocious sales experience at Arya Honda, Bhandup *EDIT: car now delivered!*-mahindra.jpg

Going by 45 days commitment, technically we should have got the car by 2nd Week of May, if not that then at-least by Last week of May. From the day the dealership received the payment, till last week of May, there was not a single call back to us about further status. We were only following up and time and again false commitments were made to us regarding dispatch of the vehicle.

Date: 2nd June 2014

One fine morning on 2nd June, I get a call from another gentleman Sushant Gaonkar (ASM, Arya Honda) as my number is updated in DSR at Arya Honda. I pick up the call, the first thing, this person says, "Sir Payment Kab Karoge?" I was like, "Sorry whose is this". Then he introduces himself, and says "The car should leave factory by 7th of June, sir extremely sorry car got delayed due to Production Issues at Honda, by the time the payment is cleared, car keys would be in your hands".

Wow I say, first ever call from the dealership side, not bad. I tell him, that within a weeks time I will ask my company to disburse the amount, meanwhile you let me know the VIN number of the car that you are allotting to me. He gives a confirmatory yes and disconnects the call. From 2nd June till 9th June, every single day sometimes Sushant or Vikrant used to call up at-least 5 times a day with same question, "Sir, Payment Kab aayega". Finally my company did the RTGS on 10th June of INR 9,82,175. Balance payable INR 1,66,505/- After receiving the payment on 10th June, no follow up from the dealer.

14th June

I call up the dealer to check whether the car has come the stock-yard and to get the VIN Number. To which Sushant replies, sir we haven't received your payment.
I replied the company has already transferred 9.82 lacs in the account, please check. To which he replies "yes sir, we have received that amount but 1.66 lacs are pending. I tell him, that I will pay only when I see the car in the stock-yard, verify the car, the VIN number and check for any damages. No comes the surprise answer, he replies " No sir, we don't allot the car unless the customer makes 100% payment. Its our company policy.

I calmly remind him of his statement of 2nd June, to which he replies "yes sir cars are being dispatched, but we will not be in position to allot you the car, unless our finance department receives 100% payment. We will simply transfer the car to somebody else who gives us 100% money, You can keep waiting".

I escalated the matter, and the receptionist transferred me to some Mr. Girish, portrayed himself as Sales Manager, but never come forward and tried to meet me in person. Even he was harping around the bush all these days.

18th June 2014

After creating some ruckus on phone, finally Sushant, came to meet me in office today. I told him again very clearly I am not going to make 10% balance payment unless you allot me the car, he kept arguing that it is the company policy and blah blah blah... So finally I tell him, please cancel my booking and refund the money, to which he hesitantly connects to Girish. I make him put the phone on speaker, and I tell to Girish, "Look if you can't allot me the car, refund me my money in 24 hrs". The reply that I get is class apart in today's era of modern trade. He says, "No problem sir, take back your money, bohot logg khade hain line main gaadi lene ke liye, it doesn't matter to me, I will sell the car to someone else."

If this is the attitude of the dealer personnel, God say Honda. I am definitely taking this up with higher-ups at Honda India as well as Honda Japan. Not because I have contacts, but because in today's day of business, such morons should not exists. We are regretting our decision of not buying the car from Solitaire Honda today.

For all those who want to deal with Arya Honda, one word. "Avoid", or be ready to be "Harassed".

It didn't really mattered to the dealership, that I am a Team-Bhpian, and I can very well spoil their name in social media. When I told this to Girish, he simply said, "that's ok sir, 10-50 people will talk about this on your forum and nothing will happen, finally if you want the car you will have to pay the 10% balance, or I will not allot the car, its a "company policy"

Let me come back to my same question, with which I started.

"Do you make 100% payment to a dealer before the dealer allots the car or before you see the car in person???"
sawnilrules is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 22:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Atrocious sales experience at Arya Honda, Bhandup *EDIT: car now delivered!*

Just out of curiosity, because I have no idea how its done in India. Don't you sign some sort of purchase agreement when buying a car. And if so, does that not stipulate the exact payment terms. Seems silly not to, or am I missing something?

Jeroen
Old 18th June 2014, 23:12   #3
BHPian

This is atrocious. Buyer has every right to inspect the car before handing over the final payment. In the earlier age of cheques, dealers had to wait a few days to get the final amount, but now with EFT and RTGS he can get his money in minutes after inspection and release the car the same day, pending registration. Further this being a corporate booking, there should be no doubt with the dealer of receiving the balance amount before delivery.

Perhaps this dealer has cash flow issues or is broke, hence such shenanigans?
Old 18th June 2014, 23:14   #4
BHPian

re: Atrocious sales experience at Arya Honda, Bhandup *EDIT: car now delivered!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post

"Do you make 100% payment to a dealer before the dealer allots the car or before you see the car in person???"
  1. When I bought my Aveo, I paid 100% for it, got delivery 7 days later.
  2. When I bought my Sony TV, I paid 100% for it, got my piece delivered from warehouse. Was faulty. They replaced it.
  3. When I bought my refrigerator, ACs, washing machines etc.. its always 100% payment up front. The unit just comes home.

So its not new or surprising, frankly.

But yes Arya Honda could have been more polite with you, but threatening to use this Team-BHP forum to 'spoil' their name couldnt have ended well.
gsurya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 23:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ideally post the booking amount the buyer will get a request to pay the balance only after the allotment and after the vin number is provided. I think this is the Standard process.

However the arrogant and callous attitude of the dealer cannot be left out. You should definitely escalate that. Inspite the car being great if the buying experience sucks then it robs the entire fun out of it.
Old 18th June 2014, 23:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think not allotting the car to you is fine, but he could have told you that 'this is your car in the yard with this this vin number and you can go check it out and then pay the rest 10%' is what the general practice is. I mean if u have paid him 9.XX lakh, OBVIOUSLY you are not kidding around.

Send the link of this page to Honda
Old 18th June 2014, 23:28   #7
BHPian

I have made 100% payments at Hyundai before, but that's only because I knew someone from the showroom well.

My uncle recently got a Hyundai and he made a token advance of 10k, and rest when the vehicle reached the dealer. So I guess it's not uncommon to ask for 100% payment before.

My question is, what prevented you from paying the remaining amount, when you had paid the previous installments, that too from a dealer who couldn't come personally to collect the advance cheque from you?
Old 18th June 2014, 23:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never!! I am really shocked at the attitude and arrogance of Honda dealer. But, I totally relate to your experience since I too have been a victim to the cheating from a local Honda dealer over here in Noida. He overcharged me in accessories. The SA forced us in making spot payment of 10,000 to reserve the color as if it would have been sold in the very next hour. After making the token money payment my Paa told him that in a week the final payment will be done. This moron, S. Chaurasia called us constantly and kept asking for assurance that we are definitely going to purchase the car and he needs more money to get the car ready. I will not share much here since it's an old thing now. But, my disliking for Honda's dealers is rising with every such incident.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...bad-worse.html

How can they show such casual attitude towards a client ? I for one have no faith in Honda. I do own a City Ivtec of 3rd generation and right from the 1st day I had been misguided on various aspects of the car by the dealership. As a result when I got to know about the details from many other sources and then from Team Bhp after I became a member an year back, I have never gone back to Ace Honda for service of the car. However, I do plan to vent out my peace of mind on them sometime soon.

Link to my review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...peakers-2.html

I read the statements of the Sales Manager and to be frank if I was at your place, my way of dealing with such cunning and dishonest people would have been very different. If this moron has other customers to sell his darn cars, we as customers have other car brands to deal with.

They have surpassed their competitors by making such cleverly crafted "company policies". Has the payment reached back to you ? I am attached to your thread now for the updates.

You know I have a couple more of such incidents to share regarding SKODA and Chevrolet. Will be in touch with you.

Thanks

Last edited by ad3952n : 18th June 2014 at 23:33. Reason: spelling
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 23:54   #9
BHPian

I purchased my amaze from arya Honda ballad pier . Firstly I paid the booking amount of 25k . Then the lady told me I will have to pay full when car is alloted , I.e. one week before delivery. She said from the time I pay booking amount to delivery it will take a month . She managed it in 25 days . I did not need to keep calling her . She kept me updated . Very good experience with arya honda ballad pier Mumbai for me . This was june 2013 .
Old 18th June 2014, 23:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Tell him you have already paid him all the money that he needs to pay the factory to bill the car. The remaining 10% (which is also not the complete registration and insurance amt if I am not wrong) is what will be used for registration and insurance AFTER the vehicle is in the dealership stockyard. Stick to your guns and escalate. As you rightly said, try and get the VIN no.

Dealerships do tend to pressurize to pay the entire amount so that they have a continuous cash flow but you should stick to your guns.

And escalate their behaviour to Honda India. They should know how their dealerships are harming the brand.

Good Luck !

Last edited by Shome : 18th June 2014 at 23:59.
Old 19th June 2014, 00:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

Want to raise a red flag against the said dealer Arya Honda, Mumbai. Do not buy any Honda cars from them, if you are planning to, do it at your risk, however I am sure, you will not think of going back to the dealer, once you read about my harrowing time and experience with them.
I might be knowing the CEO of this firm - if you inbox me, I will send you his number. I hope that helps.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th June 2014 at 09:30. Reason: Please quote only relevant bits of a long post.
Old 19th June 2014, 08:14   #12
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Shocked to read about the rudeness of the staff and high-handedness of the dealer.

I have heard about dealers asking for 100%, but the dealer being stubborn about it to the level of being ready to take a cancellation for the last 10% is plain ridiculous. Such dealers (and manufacturers, if they pardon such behaviour) should be shown their rightful place by prospective customers.

sawnilrules,
Take it up with Honda and Arya mgmt. Insist on a written apology for the rudeness. Cancel the booking anyways as such morons do not deserve the business from us.All the best to you and your friend.
Old 19th June 2014, 08:28   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
sawnilrules,
Take it up with Honda and Arya mgmt. Insist on a written apology for the rudeness. Cancel the booking anyways as such morons do not deserve the business from us.All the best to you and your friend.
+1.

What makes these guys have such head strong attitude and a feeling that the customer has to bend down to us and to such rules for a 10L costing car?!

The way they are behaving is like they are the only dealers in the business. I guess they are riding high due to the success of New City and Amaze where demand is high and supplies are low causing a waiting list where people are ready to do anything that the dealer demands as they need the vehicle. This is taken as an advantage by these sales guys. Don't know what the Mobilio would do once that thing is launched.

@Swanilrules, as mentioned by SDP, send the link of this thread to the top management @ Honda India. Let them know how sales is dealing with customers and how they are projecting 'Honda' as a company. Let some sense dawn on these idiots.

Anurag.
Old 19th June 2014, 08:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

So again, how does it work in India? When you purchase a car in India don't you sign some sort of agreement that also stipulates the payment scheme?

Thanks
Jeroen
Old 19th June 2014, 09:08   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So again, how does it work in India? When you purchase a car in India don't you sign some sort of agreement that also stipulates the payment scheme?
The agreement and all needed documents come into picture once the dealer and customer have done the PDI. Once the customer is satisfied, the full payment is made after which all documents are signed and delivery is taken.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks