Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 19:20   #1

Repainted Duster sold as brand new by Renault South Delhi (M/s Sprint Cars, Delhi)

I had purchased a Renault Duster 110ps RXL Adventure on 19 October 2014 from Renault south Delhi (M/s Sprint Cars, Kailash Colony, Delhi).

During the time of delivery, it was already evening and the car was parked beside a wall with no lights. My father noticed roughness on the driver side rear quarter panel around the fuel lid and rear door till the rear bumper. We immediately pointed out the same to our Sales advisor who told us that the car comes wrapped with protective film and the glue of the same has been left over.

At one point I had clearly refused to take the delivery of such kind of vehicle. I did not buy his comments and immediately called the Sales Manager who again very reassuringly told me that the car is BRAND NEW and has no defects whatsoever and the same story of the glue. Further he asked the cleaning staff to apply rubbing compound on the affected area to remove the roughness. After about 15-20 minutes of rubbing the roughness was removed. During this time, the sales manager reassured us multiple times that there is no repainting on the car or anything like that and if we have any doubts he is there for us.

After multiple reassurances from the sales team, we took their words to be true and went ahead and took the delivery of the car.

Since it was late in the evening, the light conditions were not bright and we could not notice the difference in the shade of the rear right from the rest of the body.

Further I will let the pictures speak.

The rear door handle with over spray of the green paint on the handle (Duster comes with silver handles)
Repainted Duster sold as brand new by Renault South Delhi (M/s Sprint Cars, Delhi)-duter-handle.jpg

A look at the front door handle to notice the difference(completely black with no overspray)
Repainted Duster sold as brand new by Renault South Delhi (M/s Sprint Cars, Delhi)-duster-handle-normal.jpg

Shade difference- Do I need to say anything beyond (on complaining about the same the GM of the dealership had to inspect the car for good 1 hour to notice this difference)
Repainted Duster sold as brand new by Renault South Delhi (M/s Sprint Cars, Delhi)-duter-shade-1.jpg
Repainted Duster sold as brand new by Renault South Delhi (M/s Sprint Cars, Delhi)-shade-2.jpg
Repainted Duster sold as brand new by Renault South Delhi (M/s Sprint Cars, Delhi)-shade-3.jpg

From the past 10 days I have been pursuing this matter with the Dealership on Wednesday 29th October the sales manager of the dealership fixed an appointment for Sunday 2nd November to look into the matter on reaching the dealership at 1:00 P.M. in the afternoon after travelling good 30 kms from my residence The Sales Manager along with Sales advisor had a good look at the car and acknowledges the difference in shade and reflection of the rear door compared to rest of the body. I am further told by him that he does not have Decision taking authority and the General Manager/Decision taking authority is not in town right now. I was highly disappointed that even after him fixing the appointment nobody from the management was available he could have informed me earlier.

He promised us a visit to our residence a day after (i.e. 4th November 2014) with the G.M./Decision taking authority to resolve the issue that day itself.

On 4th November the S.M. along with his G.M. and the sales advisor arrive at my residence at 3:00 P.M. and after a detailed inspection of about 20-25 minutes the G.M. was unable to locate any problem with Car.

On further talks and investigation I showed him the door handle and which still had paint remains on it. And repeated the whole incident of the delivery day and showed him roughness of the over spray on the rear alloy. After which he admitted and acknowledged that there is some problem with the vehicle.

After 2 hours of discussion the G.M. of the dealership offered us to replace the door of the car from another car. He kept repeating that the car would be perfectly fine after the job and this the best possible way. This offer was straight away refused by us as we are not ready for any work at the workshop level with our new car for which we have paid full price. We asked him to replace the car with a brand new one to which he said he has constraints upon him. So we asked him to discuss the same with the owners/directors of the dealership to resolve the issue since then nobody has contacted me from the dealership.

Last edited by GTO : 8th November 2014 at 17:14. Reason: Language
Kshitizag is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 17:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Repainted Duster sold as brand new by Renault South Delhi (M/s Sprint Cars, Delhi

Sorry to hear about this incident.

Your car, your money, your happiness...it's up to you to protect your interests (not the salesperson or his promises). Sure, the dealer is at primary fault for selling you a patched up car, but you are also to blame as you didn't:

1. Carry out a PDI (related link).

2. Listen to all the warning signs at the time of delivery.

I hope you're able to get a replacement, although I might add, a majority of such cases don't. The dealer usually throws in a sweetener.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 17:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Repainted Duster sold as brand new by Renault South Delhi (M/s Sprint Cars, Delhi

So sad to see this happening to a BHPian. Leaves me wondering how easy it is to fool a customer by these dealers. A new car is such a landmark occasion in every household. What has Renault got to say in this matter? Have you informed them?
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 18:31   #4
BHPian

I have noticed that a lot of people report that they took delivery close to dark in their Ownership review thread. I understand that all of us are super excited about our new purchases, and do not mind the late evening hand over, but this is the downside. The dealerships pay on this, if they want.

As a hindsight, best to take handover of a car in broad day light, keeping out investments and hard earned money in mind.

Sorry to hear what has happened, wish you the best in getting a new vehicle, and hope Renault takes notice of this.
PVPal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 18:53   #5
BHPian

Sorry to hear this kshitizag. I sincerely hope that your car is replaced but as GTO pointed out it is rarely the case. That shouldn't deter you from pushing the dealer hard. Get as many people involved as you can. (Dealer, Renault, Consumer forums etc) The more tough you are, the better the deal you may get.
Old 8th November 2014, 19:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Please take it up with Renault India. Write to the MD Sumit Sawhney himself. This is simply not acceptable from an International car manufacturer, passing off a repainted vehicle as new.
Old 8th November 2014, 19:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
I have noticed that a lot of people report that they took delivery close to dark in their Ownership review thread.
This is typical scenario wherein the dealership wants to liquidate the stock which has some defect. Dents, scratches, rusting, repaint, color peel off and what not!

They will make you to take delivery during evening and switch off some of the lights in the showroom. Then they will deliver the car as quickly as possible as once you sign the papers they have washed their hands off that car! Some time the cleaner or someone else from the showroom will deliberately stand in front of the area which is problematic/defective.

Then if you come back and complain they will say that you signed papers saying that I have received the car with no problems..blah blah.

Unless you take the matter into your hands and are ready to escalate it, it's SOLD for them and they won't give a damn about it. I am sure the SA must have received a good incentive and a pat on the back by SM when they saw that car going out of the showroom gates!

This is the truth and I have seen it before my eyes for so many times. One of the reasons that I left working in a dealership because I couldn't bear fooling people or seeing them get fooled and the mini celebration after that day in day out.
I am too emotional to live in this world in the present era.
RavSam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 23:17   #8
BHPian

Sad to hear this, hope you get it sorted out soon. If at dealer level its not happening then move on to Renault directly and bring this into their knowledge.

You didn't had a look at the car which was supposed to be delivered to you before delivery time?

In case, the car is registered by now then I think its not possible for the company to swap the car, as per my understanding.

Keep the thread updated.

Last edited by SaurabhSaran : 8th November 2014 at 23:19.
Old 9th November 2014, 01:45   #9
BHPian

Its so sad to see Indian car buyers are no way protected against such malpractice. I'm sure you might have had some photos at the dealership during delivery which clearly shows the difference of shades. This would be the only hard evidence to prove that this indeed happened before delivery.

At least whomever reading this should learn from his experience: When you go to to take delivery of the vehicle, the sales rep will promptly invite you to a room and sign all papers. But did you see what you are buying before signing? First ask him / her to get the vehicle ready for delivery and show you the car. Have a through inspection. In case you find anything wrong tell the rep that you found XYZ problems and not not taking delivery today, and will discuss further over phone, and just walk away. This will give you more time to think with your brain and if necessary take a friend who is knowledgeable along with you to check the vehicle again.

Never believe anything the sales / service people tell you, they are there to make a profit for the company and get personal benefits.

thanks
HCP
Old 9th November 2014, 08:31   #10
BHPian

Oh what a shoddy job of hiding the defect. Even a roadside painter would have done this better. Hope you have your way soon.
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 10:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Your car, your money, your happiness...it's up to you to protect your interests (not the salesperson or his promises). Sure, the dealer is at primary fault for selling you a patched up car, but you are also to blame as you didn't:

Agree to you that practically in a country like ours we need to be extra careful on such situations. But legally/theoretically isn't it the duty of the dealer to ensure that the customer, who pays the exact OTR and not a penny less, gets a new undamaged car ?
And we are expected to be a like a trained mechanic going around with eagle eyes trying to capture all the faults/ damages etc instead of leisurely enjoying the whole experience of buying. Isn't that our right to have a less stressful experience? And if that right is denied we need to have some form of an ombudsman body which can decide the compensation to buyer or penalty to the dealer, without having to go through all legal hassles and stuff.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 13:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I hope you're able to get a replacement, although I might add, a majority of such cases don't. The dealer usually throws in a sweetener.

I am avid follower of team-bhp and did have the PDI check list with me at the time of delivery. Somehow due to the festive season chores I had no option but to take the delivery a little late. Despite my trying to make it as early as possible, I could reach the dealership only by around 4:00 pm in the evening.

There was decent amount of light to inspect the car then but not enough to notice the considerable difference in shade. Obvious irregularities like the overspray of the clear paint to the back panel were pointed out by me then and there only. However, when I refused to take the delivery of a vehicle for which I had a suspicion in my mind then, the Sales Manager of the showroom came out and assured me that everything is fine and after the application of the rubbing compound ( it was around ) the vehicle seemed to be fine at that point of time. Only after multiple assurances from the Sales Manager did I take the delivery of the vehicle.

Yes, I am at fault. My fault is that I should have stuck to my observation rather than relying on the false commitments done by the cheats at the dealership. I would urge all fellow bhpians not to come under influence of the sweet language the SA's at the dealership might use with you and just stay with the bare facts.

However, such a malpractice of selling of a re-painted vehicle at the so called largest dealership of Renault in North India is shameful and is a clear case of a fraud and cheating been committed at their dealership.

I have written to the Sales Manager, MD, directors of the dealership multiple times till now but still have not heard back from them over email. Although, they are entertaining my calls and offering me a door replacement from a brand new vehicle which they (I guess) would pass on to someone else who might/ might not notice the defect in the door. Also, they are offering me a free teflon coating with the door replacement (Here comes in the sweetener you mentioned).

Please advise me on whether I should accept their offer or should I stand on my resolve to get the car replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neethi_raj View Post
Sorry to hear this kshitizag. I sincerely hope that your car is replaced but as GTO pointed out it is rarely the case. That shouldn't deter you from pushing the dealer hard. Get as many people involved as you can. (Dealer, Renault, Consumer forums etc) The more tough you are, the better the deal you may get.
Thanks neethi_raj. Yes, I am keeping all the options open. But for now, I have started with trying out to talk this out with the dealership itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Please take it up with Renault India. Write to the MD Sumit Sawhney himself. This is simply not acceptable from an International car manufacturer, passing off a repainted vehicle as new.
I am trying to procure the Renault India's MD, Sumit Sawhney's email id from my links in Renault India. If the dealership does not come up with a replacement/reasonable compensation for the vehicle, I would definitely escalate it to the highest level in Renault India.
It would be very helpful if anyone here at team-bhp could help me procure Sumit Sawhney's email id.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhSaran View Post
Sad to hear this, hope you get it sorted out soon. If at dealer level its not happening then move on to Renault directly and bring this into their knowledge.

You didn't had a look at the car which was supposed to be delivered to you before delivery time?

In case, the car is registered by now then I think its not possible for the company to swap the car, as per my understanding.

Keep the thread updated.
Sadly due to the festive season, I could not find enough time to check the vehicle out before the day of delivery as the showroom is quite some distance away from my residence.

The vehicle has a temporary registration as of now and the permanent registration is due by 15 November 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Its so sad to see Indian car buyers are no way protected against such malpractice. I'm sure you might have had some photos at the dealership during delivery which clearly shows the difference of shades. This would be the only hard evidence to prove that this indeed happened before delivery.

At least whomever reading this should learn from his experience: When you go to to take delivery of the vehicle, the sales rep will promptly invite you to a room and sign all papers. But did you see what you are buying before signing? First ask him / her to get the vehicle ready for delivery and show you the car. Have a through inspection. In case you find anything wrong tell the rep that you found XYZ problems and not not taking delivery today, and will discuss further over phone, and just walk away. This will give you more time to think with your brain and if necessary take a friend who is knowledgeable along with you to check the vehicle again.

Never believe anything the sales / service people tell you, they are there to make a profit for the company and get personal benefits.

thanks
HCP
Tough, I do not have any photo of the day of the delivery with me. I do have voice recordings of the conversation over phone with the Sales Manager and General Manager of the Dealership accepting that the car was defective at the time of delivery.

And yes, I learned the last point you made the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So sad to see this happening to a BHPian. Leaves me wondering how easy it is to fool a customer by these dealers. A new car is such a landmark occasion in every household. What has Renault got to say in this matter? Have you informed them?
I have escalated (cc'ed) this matter to the Regional Sales Manager of Renault in North India in my mails to the dealership. He told me that it is hard to get a replacement but he also had a word with the Sales Manager at the dealership and asked him to look into the matter and provide a 'suitable' resolution.

I hope I have answered all of your queries. I strongly urge fellow bhpian's to learn from this example and not let any dealership fool you.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th November 2014 at 15:41. Reason: Removing font tags.
Kshitizag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 14:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
Agree to you that ...ombudsman body which can decide the compensation to buyer or penalty to the dealer, without having to go through all legal hassles and stuff.
1.Couldn't agree more! Car manufacturers/dealers hope to form long term relationships with their customers who in turn hope for a stress free buying and ownership experience while parting with their hard earned money. Such incidents end up leaving such a bad taste! By the way, although forums such as TBHP go a long way in educating prospective customers, what percentage of the auto buying community is aware of such forums/have the wherewithal to carry out extensive PDIs etc?
2. Amazed that the dealer's staff took so long to acknowledge the problem which should have been evident to even a person with no automotive knowledge! I think they were purposely trying to hoodwink, being fully aware of the problem all along.
3.Kshitizag, hope things look up soon and your efforts bear fruit! All the best.
Old 9th November 2014, 14:28   #14
BHPian

This is indeed a very terrible experience, but my friend, as many of the folks suggested one should never ever accept a delivery unless its 100% satisfying by all means. A pre-delivery inspection is not something that some one needs to do in hurry as we know India is a place where every possible tricks and cheats happen.
I remember a story from Feb 2000 when we were waiting for our new Mahindra Jeep [CL500 MDI], where we bypassed 4-5 batches of delivery spanning over couple of months. Why? Our long term family friend who was a master of jeeps refused to accept it until we got one with TVS starter kit and some other specific parts [believe me including TVS nuts and bolts], and now after 14 years I am still amazed by his decision and sense of attentions to details as everything still stays rock solid.

However keeping that apart, I think you have every right to fight for a premium consumer experience as its your money after all and you deserve a much better feedback. I suggest bringing it up directly with top level Renault folks, social media would be the best.
dileepcm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 20:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshitizag View Post

Please advise me on whether I should accept their offer or should I stand on my resolve to get the car replaced?[/FONT]

The vehicle has a temporary registration as of now and the permanent registration is due by 15 November 2014.
In my opinion since the vehicle is not registered yet, you still have a fair chance of getting a replacement. I would suggest don't register it by due date, you may end up paying a small fine after the due date, but that will give you some time to work on this issue.

The reason I think of this option is from the thread I think you still don't know the amount of damage the vehicle had apart from the door and back quarter panel. First you can get it assessed by an Insurance surveyor, possibly from the insurance company your car is insured. Try to get details of the vehicle had any claim using chassis no in a friendly manner (if required use some contacts).

Also you mentioned of some contacts in Renault India, use them to check the history of the vehicle using VIN number. In either of these checks, if you get some proof of an accident repair, there is no way Renault can deny your claim.

As a last method, you can tell them that you will write the whole story on the car and park it in front of the showroom.

HCP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks