Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2014, 14:12   #1
BHPian

Resolved: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swapped

Backstory: I had posted in Teambhp about this before. When I decoded VIN/Chasis Number in my Bmw 320d Sportline, the Date of Manufacturing was shown as 9th October 2013 but we had bought the car on July 2014. When asked they shared info where it was clear that the car was manufactured in Jan 2014(which is as per the RC card). This still shows a delay of 7 months.
Link to post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post3608264

When I had given my car for a wash at Pete's and for PPF at 3M, they had shown me the car's bumper has been repainted and also paint was near the headlights. I also noticed that the alloy's black paint was slowly rubbing off from the edges. I showed this in the Bmw service centre when I gave my car for its first service where I met Mr.Nitin .He told me that it is the first time that they have noticed such an issue and asked me if I repainted the alloys and if I changed the headlights?

I told them that we bought the top end 2014 model i.e. 320d Sportline and why should I change the headlights? Also, that this is the stock alloys which comes with the sport line!

Nitin said that this is a sales issue and we showed the car to the Sales Asst. Manager Mr. Jom. They took pictures and told me that they will get back to me on Monday. Later when I talked to Nitin, he told me that they checked the VIN and found that the car's bumper was damaged when transported in a container and hence repainted it! This was not told to us when we took delivery of the car!

I came back to Bangalore leaving the car in Kochi itself. Nitin gave me the number of GM Mr.Rajeev. I talked to him and he said he will talk to the head of Service Mr.Subash. They wanted to see the car again as Mr.Subash was not present on Saturday so my driver took the car to Bmw Service centre today morning. I talked to Mr.Subash and he told me a different story now!

Mr.Subash said that he investigated and found that this was a display car!! This car had M kit installed and since we did not go for the M kit, they removed the M kit and installed with the stock bumper. Since the stock bumper was damaged when kept in the warehouse they repainted it! Firstly, they told us to wait as they had given order for a brand new car and now they are telling us that it was a display car! I asked him about their previous story about bumper getting damaged on transporting in a container and he said that they must have guessed and told me! How can they guess and tell me a story? Are they trying to fool me?

Also, they are telling us now that they painted the alloys in black to make it look good! We never asked them to paint the alloys and we thought it is the stock alloys that comes with sport line! Now is that a lie too?

My father-in-law dialed the number of Iqbal who was the sales manager of Bmw Kochi when we bought the car. It seems that he has left the company and the call was answered by Mr.Bibin who is the current Manager. I told him the whole story and he said that he will meet me personally on 2nd when I am in Kochi and discuss the issue.

So much has been kept in the dark from us which we are discovering now! I don't know what to believe and what not to believe! What should be done now? Please help me Bhpians!

I am attaching the picture of repainted bumper, alloy paint damaged part and also the side profile of the car to have an idea on how the alloy wheels look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Resolved: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swapped-img20141230wa0007.jpg  

Resolved: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swapped-img20141230wa0006.jpg  

Resolved: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swapped-img20141230wa0010.jpg  

Resolved: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swapped-img20141230wa0008.jpg  

Resolved: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swapped-dpp_0315.jpg  

yaseenar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:16   #2
BHPian

re: Resolved: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swapped

This is absolutely ridiculous. Please take up the matter at the highest level & ensure that you get a brand new replacement car. Also, I suggest that you get all this in writing from the concerned people so that they do not go back on what they have said to you.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:21   #3
BHPian

re: Resolved: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
Backstory: I had posted in Teambhp
This is very disappointing to know. The dealer has no right to sell you a repainted car.

Infact even changing the bumpers is unacceptable. If the dealer admits to doing this, then you can drag him to court or ask him to change your car.

The paint job is also not worthy of a Bimmer.

One thing I want to point out is that the Sportline wheels (The ones on your car) are supposed to be fully hyper silver from factory. Having a semi black paint on them, should have been a red flag from day 1. You must have not posted enough pictures on Team-Bhp else, some one here would have noticed and easily highlighted this. (Only the 328i has semi- BLACKish polished wheels).

Raise it with BMW and ask them to get you sorted.

If they don't change your car, you can at least negotiate, and get some M Bumpers, M Wheels, BSI, Paint job etc etc. All the very best.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

First thing, be clear in your own mind as to what you expect from this situation before you sit down to discuss the issue with anyone in BMW.
  • Do you want a replacement car?
  • Would you be satisfied if the offending parts were replaced FOC?
  • Would you want compensation, monetary or otherwise?

Unfortunately, there's no easy way out of such situations for an Indian customer due to our toothless/non-existent consumer protection mechanisms. This will take time, patience and tenacity on your part to resolve.

Be clear of what you want, document all conversations in detail, be polite but firm in your demands and don't give up. You've paid hard earned money to buy the car and deserve a fair deal.

P.S. Not to cause offense, but you are also to blame partially for this mess for the lack of due diligence on your part before and during the purchase. This doesn't give the dealer the right to cheat, but something to keep in mind going forward. DO NOT overlook any detail while troubleshooting this issue, no matter how minor it may seem.

Good Luck!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

You have been taken for a ride.
This is how stock alloys look like on a 320D Sportline; this car belongs to a close friend.Resolved: Platino Classic, Cochin sells me BMW 320D display car. Repainted, bumper swapped-imageuploadedbyteambhp1419934147.984983.jpg

Escalate this to the highest level, and ask for a replacement.
akshay4587 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:43   #6
BHPian

Sorry to hear about this sad incident.

Is this what we expect especially after paying 40+ lakhs for a car? It's a luxury "brand", there's supposed to be a level of trust associated with it. The attitude and negligence on the part of dealers is absolutely unacceptable. BMW at a global level should have severe penalties for such dealers because at the end of the day it's spoiling the brand name.

We wish you all the support and hope that you can get this resolved at the earliest and more importantly, BMW can make sure that this never happens again.
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

I wish to ask you something.

Why didn't you ask for VIN number and verify the date of manufacture before finalizing such a top dollar/rupee purchase. It would have clarified matters right away without any scope for dealer selling you a test-drive car.

Anyways, you can challenge this sale and sue the pants off the dealer and manufacturer. It is not totally hassle free experience but it is important for you to get closure, unless the dealer is willing to acknowledge and correct the error of his ways.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous. Please take up the matter at the highest level & ensure that you get a brand new replacement car. Also, I suggest that you get all this in writing from the concerned people so that they do not go back on what they have said to you.
I know! Are you sure that they will get me a brand new replacement car for this? They told me they will repaint the bumper and alloys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
This is very disappointing to know. The dealer has no right to sell you a repainted car.

Infact even changing the bumpers is unacceptable. If the dealer admits to doing this, then you can drag him to court or ask him to change your car.

The paint job is also not worthy of a Bimmer.

One thing I want to point out is that the Sportline wheels (The ones on your car) are supposed to be fully hyper silver from factory. Having a semi black paint on them, should have been a red flag from day 1. You must have not posted enough pictures on Team-Bhp else, some one here would have noticed and easily highlighted this. (Only the 328i has semi- BLACKish polished wheels).

Raise it with BMW and ask them to get you sorted.

If they don't change your car, you can at least negotiate, and get some M Bumpers, M Wheels, BSI, Paint job etc etc. All the very best.
The first thing that I am going to do on my meeting on 2nd is to get it in writing from the Service/Sales Manager that this was a display car which has M kit and they replaced it with a repainted stock bumper. I don't think they are going to change my car as it is now registered under my wife's name. I can ask for M Bumpers, M Wheels and BSI extension. Paint job won't be necessary if they replace the bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
First thing, be clear in your own mind as to what you expect from this situation before you sit down to discuss the issue with anyone in BMW.
  • Do you want a replacement car?
  • Would you be satisfied if the offending parts were replaced FOC?
  • Would you want compensation, monetary or otherwise?

Unfortunately, there's no easy way out of such situations for an Indian customer due to our toothless/non-existent consumer protection mechanisms. This will take time, patience and tenacity on your part to resolve.

Be clear of what you want, document all conversations in detail, be polite but firm in your demands and don't give up. You've paid hard earned money to buy the car and deserve a fair deal.

P.S. Not to cause offense, but you are also to blame partially for this mess for the lack of due diligence on your part before and during the purchase. This doesn't give the dealer the right to cheat, but something to keep in mind going forward. DO NOT overlook any detail while troubleshooting this issue, no matter how minor it may seem.

Good Luck!
I know that I am also to be blamed partially but I was not there to receive this car. This was received by my wife and father in law who do not know much about cars. They were told lies and have been cheated. I have to take up a stand and fight till Bmw resolves this issue.
Old 30th December 2014, 15:48   #9
BHPian

It is the duty of the dealer to inform you about the history of the vehicle (display car, M Kit, etc) before delivering the vehicle. If they have not done so, you have all rights to escalate the issue to top management at dealership, then BMW India, and then legal judiciary respectively till resolved.

Resolution? A replacement car. Period.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 15:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Please do search this forum for a thread by ( I think ) Sunil regarding his BMW X1 purchase where he had taken it up with the dealer and BMW for deficient service and was able to get them to act immediately. You will get pointers there.

As such, I dont think once BMW is involved you will be short changed. Just ensure you have raised it to them asap even if the dealer requests you to the contrary

Last edited by GTO : 30th December 2014 at 17:35. Reason: No short-forms on Team-BHP. Please type in full & proper English
Old 30th December 2014, 16:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Sorry to hear about this sad incident.

Is this what we expect especially after paying 40+ lakhs for a car? It's a luxury "brand", there's supposed to be a level of trust associated with it. The attitude and negligence on the part of dealers is absolutely unacceptable. BMW at a global level should have severe penalties for such dealers because at the end of the day it's spoiling the brand name.

We wish you all the support and hope that you can get this resolved at the earliest and more importantly, BMW can make sure that this never happens again.
Yes! It would have gone unnoticed if it was used by my father-in-law or wife who doesn't know much of the technicalities of the car which may be what the Bmw dealer was expecting but it came to a Bhpian and now they have to pay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You have been taken for a ride.
This is how stock alloys look like on a 320D Sportline; this car belongs to a close friend.

Escalate this to the highest level, and ask for a replacement.
Oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I wish to ask you something.

Why didn't you ask for VIN number and verify the date of manufacture before finalizing such a top dollar/rupee purchase. It would have clarified matters right away without any scope for dealer selling you a test-drive car.

Anyways, you can challenge this sale and sue the pants off the dealer and manufacturer. It is not totally hassle free experience but it is important for you to get closure, unless the dealer is willing to acknowledge and correct the error of his ways.
I was not there to receive this car when delivered to my father-in-law and wife. In fact, I was not married to her then and could not indulge much in the matter.
Old 30th December 2014, 16:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Till the day we have a strong law of torts like the western countries, they will continue to pull a fast one on us like this and fib later when confronted. When it comes to dealers, no brand is an exception.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 16:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt if you really will get a replacement car even if you go to courts. BMW will most likely shift the blame on its dealer. IMHO ask them to replace all the painted parts with genuine OEM ones FOC. Also I wholeheartedly agree with Narayan's opinion that contact Sunil as he really took BMW to task for his X1. He might be able to help you out.
Old 30th December 2014, 16:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseenar View Post
I know! Are you sure that they will get me a brand new replacement car for this? They told me they will repaint the bumper and alloys!
There is no harm in trying. At least give this a shot and come down to replacements of parts as your next step if the demand for replacement is not met. You have paid your hard earned money to get a brand new car. Why do you want to regret? The dealer was not a saint and was trying to push you a display car and was not honest with you. So why do you budge?

Quote:
The first thing that I am going to do on my meeting on 2nd is to get it in writing from the Service/Sales Manager that this was a display car which has M kit and they replaced it with a repainted stock bumper. I don't think they are going to change my car as it is now registered under my wife's name. I can ask for M Bumpers, M Wheels and BSI extension. Paint job won't be necessary if they replace the bumpers.
Even if the car is registered you have proofs that the car was has a repainted bumper. Moreover the alloys has been tampered with. In my opinion (Only my opinion, may be you can think it over) it will be better and will be given serious attention by the dealer if BMW India is involved directly along with the dealer. The dealer might try to hush up this matter without the knowledge of BMW. This will also help you to work out a deal which you would prefer.
Quote:

I know that I am also to be blamed partially but I was not there to receive this car. This was received by my wife and father in law who do not know much about cars. They were told lies and have been cheated. I have to take up a stand and fight till Bmw resolves this issue.
IMHO You are not be blamed completely, we do not think that when we buy a branded product and of this reputation we will be taken for a ride. But what we forget is there are some perpetrators who care two hoots about the customers and about the brand that they work for. And those are the folks that we have to watch out for.
Old 30th December 2014, 16:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn, this is really sad and unexpected of a BMW dealer to indulge in such malpractices. BMW ought to have better control over the dealers and the transparency with which they handle customers.

While I suggest you push for a replacement car, I agree with the solution below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
IMHO ask them to replace all the painted parts with genuine OEM ones FOC.
This resolves your refurbished parts issue however as a compensation for the MFD lie you should push for a free BSI+ pack of the highest order 5year/1 lakh km. This overall would be a decent settlement.
Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks