Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2015, 11:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scam alert : A/C Disinfectant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I've never got my nearly 14-year old WagonR's AC cleaned so far, nor the gas changed. Still works like a charm.

For the past few months, I've been following the 'heater on full blast' method which I learnt from this forum a year back. With all the bucks saved, I feel like going for a long drive now.
Is the heater on full blast method with fresh air mode or re-circulated air mode?
Old 11th February 2015, 12:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Well in view to the above comments I have a few questions if someone could help :
Quote:
How should we actually get our vents cleaned and make our AC more effective?
No Vents have no relation to the AC effectiveness.

Quote:
Is there some kind of vent / coil replacement that should be done after certain period?
Replace the cabin Air Filter (if your car has one) Once a year
clean the AC Blower fan (once in 5-6 years)
Clean the outside air intake (Once in 4-5 years)
Maybe clean the AC condenser (once in 7-10 years) Personally I have never done this to date on any of the cars.

Quote:

Is the same SC gimmick followed by 3M centers as well for the AC cleaning process (I believe 3M to be charging a premium for this as compared to SC).
In 3M the choice is yours. You can opt for it or not! They don't tell you if you don't do this warranty will be void etc etc. Also 3M is not a company Authorized Station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Is the heater on full blast method with fresh air mode or re-circulated air mode?
I do this in re-Circulated mode with the heater, Fan Blower set at max.
The Method vnabhi posted works best.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 11th February 2015 at 12:10.
Old 11th February 2015, 12:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Fresh air mode. I make it a point to do it after I reach office, which is usually a 40-minute drive. I leave the engine on, heater at full blast, and exit from the car. I switch if off only after 3 to 4 minutes.

I do leave the rear windows partially down during this operation, but not sure whether that is required.

Edit: I am not able to find that link where someone suggested this method around 2 years back.

Last edited by vnabhi : 11th February 2015 at 12:18.
Old 11th February 2015, 12:23   #34
BHPian

Just checked out the 1st service bill for my Audi A4 and look what I found . Rs 2791 for A/C fumigation
Attached Thumbnails
Scam alert : A/C Disinfectant-img_20150211_1212462.jpg  

Old 11th February 2015, 12:41   #35
BHPian

Mercedes charged Rs. 4192 for the same scam in my last service, and they didn't take prior approval...Just thrust it on the bill!!

Scam alert : A/C Disinfectant-merc-aircon.jpg
Old 11th February 2015, 13:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

The things dealers come up with and unfortunately some people do end up getting trapped in the net. I have been offered this multiple times across car brands but i never took it , not even once. I have the bottle at home and blow the vents a few times a year and that is good enough.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:39   #37
BHPian

I have made VW Trivandrum revert it in the bill once. The SA said that I need to pay since I did not tell them not to do this while giving my Polo for service. I shot back stating I specifically told them not do do anything more than I asked for without my approval. Ever since I specifically make them note it down in the service sheet while giving the car.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
Cowl Cleaning - Rs. 2,205.
Clowl cleaning, what does it mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
make our AC more effective?
My policy is to fix only something which needs fixing. First you have to check the tempreature reading at the AC vents and compare it with the company's specs or compare with a new car, every service center will have the facility. If the temp is within the desired spec or only a slight difference, no need to do anything. If the gap is more, check the cabin filter first (should be cleaned depending on the usage esp when not in recirculation mode). For normal use this should be enough as these units are built to work. If there is a significant difference check the gas pressure, evaporator fins for clogging, which needs cleaning and in extreme cases the pipes have to be acid cleaned / replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
Mercedes charged Rs. 4192 for the same scam in my last service, and they didn't take prior approval...Just thrust it on the bill!!

Attachment 1338758
Then why did you pay, I would have straight away refused to pay for their gimmicks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th February 2015 at 14:32. Reason: Merging back to back post.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 14:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post

My policy is to fix only something which needs fixing. First you have to check the tempreature reading at the AC vents and compare it with the company's specs or compare with a new car, every service center will have the facility. If the temp is within the desired spec or only a slight difference, no need to do anything. If the gap is more, check the cabin filter first (should be cleaned depending on the usage esp when not in recirculation mode). For normal use this should be enough as these units are built to work. If there is a significant difference check the gas pressure, evaporator fins for clogging, which needs cleaning and in extreme cases the pipes have to be acid cleaned / replaced.
Thanks for the update.
The cooling on my 5 year old Fiesta seems to be quite fine as it really cools down the interiors within minutes with the Speed set to minimum on a Sunny day. I guess this should be fine.
However the 12 year old Santro seems to have a little bit of clogged AC, which does seem to work fine for it's age. However I was wondering if this could be checked & necessary things replaced or cleaned as required.
Do you think every SC would have the arrangements to have this measured in real time?
Old 11th February 2015, 14:38   #40
BANNED

Quote:
The SA mentioned in addition to regular servicing they will also do "cowl cleaning" which cost a cool 2.2k.

A/C disinfection - Rs. 1,148.
Cowl Cleaning - Rs. 2,205.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya_911 View Post
Just checked out the 1st service bill for my Audi A4 and look what I found . Rs 2791 for A/C fumigation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
All of you above should have objected and not paid for these hefty treatments that do no good whatsoever!

-----------------

Time and again it is said, hereby saying it again!

See guys, they are working there to make money from such treatments and by this they may get their increments better every year during review, some may get promotions BUT what I feel is we customers here are equally to be blamed if not more.

When the job card is prepared and signed why can't we check and disapprove things that are not in scope of the service as stated by the Owners Manual?!

The manual is the bible for every owner be it an Alto 800 or a Mercedes S-Class and one should go by that during every time the car heads to the ASC for service.

What the dealers/ASC's do is trap ill-informed customers and get these treatments done enjoying bonuses later on.

The ASC is just a group of technically trained man power who can do the servicing, nothing more than it. The real one are the manufacturers who do get in the R&D and design the maintenance schedule for every car keeping in mind what is required to be done and what not!

Every customer will be haggled and put in some kind of pressure saying it is good for the car/engine/AC etc but we have to be strong and put our foot down for such unnecessary treatments!

Last but not least:

Jaago Graahak, Jaago!

Issued in Public interest from a BHPian for all BHPian's.

PS: No offence to all three of you!

Last edited by a4anurag : 11th February 2015 at 14:40.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 15:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
I was told they open the dashboard and do some cleaning underneath. I wasnt present at the workshop when they did this so dont know if they even did anything at all. Atleast there are no creaking sounds from the dashboard so even if they opened it, they were able to shut it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
All of you above should have objected and not paid for these hefty treatments that do no good whatsoever!
Well, yeah I agree. Maybe next time I will hand the SA your post even before he asks me such questions.
Old 11th February 2015, 16:05   #42
BHPian

Now i feel really cheated too. Atleast the cars of you guys were Corollas and bigger ones. Imagine my situation paying around 800 bucks for my puny nano . am trapped too!!
Old 11th February 2015, 16:37   #43
BHPian

Thanks a4anurag for the info. Sigh, these dealerships seem to have something new up their sleeve to catch an unsuspecting customer. On a related note, the TATA ASC I visit were advising me to replace the timing chain of my Indica Vista Quadrejet at the 1 lakh mark. I refused it downright as the owner manual doesn't advice so and my neighbourhood mechanic told me that a timing chain needs attention only if there is excessive noise.
Old 11th February 2015, 17:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I was told they open the dashboard and do some cleaning underneath.
"some cleaning"? You should be thankful to them as they looted you only for 2.25k.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 17:32   #45

I would request all the forum members to list down some of the most common scams being practiced across the dealerships. That would help unsuspecting and ill-informed users
Being aware of service tasks listed down in owner's manual is the ultimate step to guard against such malpractices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks