Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 13:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil

Same was the case with Volkswagen Ambala. When i went for my Polo's first service in December, i had to repeatedly ask them to return the remaining oil from the 4L can to me. Most customers wont really know the oil capacity of their engines,
and the fact that VW uses 4L can for oil changes.
Old 24th March 2015, 13:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Isn't air filter change part of the scheduled service? Why should it be charged separately under Labour?
Old 24th March 2015, 14:09   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I agree. But then, what's the difference between a company authorized service center and a local roadside mechanic, if you need to be careful at both to not get conned?
Yes, gone are the days when dealers were held responsible and acted responsibly. I spent a whole day at a dealership trying to sort some regular stuff that needed max 3 hours of work. Inspite of being there, polite and patient work was so so. Another brand this was, so things are pretty much the same everywhere.
Old 24th March 2015, 14:40   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Isn't air filter change part of the scheduled service? Why should it be charged separately under Labour?
That’s alright. They have split up the labor charges for the replacement of each part. Some invoices have these amounts clubbed into one.

FWIK, some VW service centers return the 1L bottle with the remaining oil whereas some others charge the owners by the exact amount consumed. I was charged for 4.5L whereas the required quantity is 4.3L and a little bit for the new engine oil filter which also absorbs some amount of the oil IINM.

OT:

Here is a chart from Skoda’s user manuals (clubbed and merged from Fabia and Laura's manuals available online) that indicates the engine, oil specs. and the required capacities:

Volkswagen Chandigarh Workshop Scam: Overcharging for Engine Oil-fab.png

Might be useful for the owners. Covers most of the engines sold under the VAG group here. The new 1.5L TDI is missing but since the 1.2L and 1.6L engines use 4.3L, I would assume the 1.5L TDI to use the same.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 15:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Are there no internal governance protocols in place by VW for its dealers? This is a clear case of fleecing customers who place faith in a system. More so this is not a case of individual integrity wherein a mechanic is committing a crime, it has all the blessings from the SA (else it is the responsibility of SA to explain the bill and ensure if something is due to the customer, it should be handed over at the time of payment / gate pass is made) and even higher ups in the hierarchy.

I feel sad about the state of affairs of these so called premium / giants operating in India wherein everyone of us knows the kind of margins Authorized Service Stations make out of services and repairs and still practice such thefts !

Amazed at VW and other auto players who let it happen !

I am quite happy with the approach taken by Toyota with "Toyota Smile" and Ford with "Fixed charge of Rs 2100". Atleast there is some control to contain the activities of their respective dealerships.

What VW is doing is classified "criminal".

Last edited by i74js : 24th March 2015 at 15:49.
Old 24th March 2015, 16:51   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
But I guess, it's too much to expect an honest dealership in India - brand notwithstanding.
It is same everywhere. I had the main Ford dealer for the South of England replace the diff oil seal, and forget the fill in oil. The chap was then trying to persuade me to to give the car in for repairs to the diff.
Old 24th March 2015, 18:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
At 800 bucks a liter, they're effectively making off with nearly 600 bucks. But WAIT!

- All dealers buy engine oil by the barrel. These are typically 50 - 100 liter barrels. Gives them bulk pricing and also the ability to use only the amount required.
I second this. There is no workshop that i will buy their oil in cans or buckets. Its always more than 100 litre metal drums this oil comes in. I have seen this at many workshops. And obviously it makes sense, for a workshop to buy drums when they are servicing close to 100 cars a day. And oil is much cheaper this way.

Obviously the workshops are deliberately charging for 4 and 1 litre of oil, to take advantage of lack of consumers knowledge. Instead of making them return the oil, they should be made to charge for only the required quantity, 4.3 litres in many cases.

Taking oil back home is of no use because we rarely need the oil, if our cars are serviced in time. Even topping off oil is very rare. So taking the oil home every time doesnt make sense.

image courtesy: orica.co.nz
Old 24th March 2015, 18:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

On my 2nd service of my polo, VW bangalore Elite motors promptly handed me over remaining engine oil of 0.7 litre without me even asking.
In the next service, they charged for exact quantity of oil (around 3.7 litre for petrol).

As mentioned by fellow users, it is always important to read through the bill carefully.
Old 24th March 2015, 19:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
At 800 bucks a liter, they're effectively making off with nearly 600 bucks. But WAIT!

- All dealers buy engine oil by the barrel. These are typically 50 - 100 liter barrels. Gives them bulk pricing and also the ability to use only the amount required.

- Oil is a high margin product for dealers (and petrol pumps). Along with this 0.7 liter theft, their net profit is fat on each oil change.

Shame on VW & its dealers to cheat their premium car customers in this manner. As if the 20 lakhs worth of business when buying a new car wasn't enough.
As pointed out by GTO, I would like to mention the fact that mostly Authorized Service Centres purchase Engine Oil in Bulk Packs for Higher Profitability as it's the Cash Cow for them. These Bulk Packs of Engine Oil is available in 210 Ltr. or 208 Ltr. Barrels. Generally these Bulk Engine Oils Packs are of Mineral Oils (Non Synthetics).

However, with the New Genre of Vehicles coming in where either Semi Synthetic or Fully Synthetic Oils are prescribed by the Car Maker of their Self Brand (to Create the Awareness of using OEM Oils) or of another Lubricant Company whose Oil is Approved, Recommended and Considered as a Genuine Engine Oil by the Car Maker for use in their Cars (against which they seek royalties from the Oil Companies) is generally available only in Small Packs and NOT in Bulk Packs.

Now you'll ask why is it so ?
The reason being that their Tie-Up with the Lubricant Company is such that these Engine Oils shall only be made available in Small Packs by the Lubricant Company so that the Lubricant Company gains the mileage of Branding and Awareness from this association which in turn shall help them in the aftermarket requirements.

This Scam thing is not an initiative from any particular Brand of Cars. Why would any Car Maker want to do that ? This varies from place to place, dealership to dealership. Not all 5 fingers are same. Some dealerships do this knowingly to earn a quick buck out of this practice. It's us who have to be careful, aware, cautious and in case we notice any hanky panky from the dealership; it must be reported to the Car Maker's Service Desk preferably on Mail as you had done.

I remember when my Renualt Scala went in for a Periodical Service. The service Centre charged me for 5 Ltrs. of Engine Oil whereas the Car Consumed 4.5 Ltrs.; but they returned the 0.5 Ltrs in a Elf 15W40 CF4 (Mineral Oil) Pack to me. Note : My Driver who had gone to take the delivery of the Car had to ask for it !!

So to reduce the chances of such discrepancies, one must :
1.) Know the Oil Sump Capacity of your Car,
2.) Which Oil is to be used in your Car,
3.) Know if it's a Genuine Oil Pack with the Car Maker's Logo on it or a recommended oil that they are using. Genuine Oil Packs are generally available as per Sump Capacity of the Car
4.) Know your service schedule,
5.) Build relations at the Service Centre with the Service Advisor who shall be able to help you with anything and everything that your Car has to face in the reign of your ownership - we negate this, but this really helps and we as consumers minimize the chance of getting fooled by them
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 20:26   #25
BHPian

What is the customer supposed to do with the balance motor oil anyway. DIY guys may use it for their oil can but most cars are serviced at a year's interval and do not need any top-up and the jar will probably be lying at the customers place untouched since the last service-imagine after the 6th. service he will have an engine full of oil lying - what a waste. Most ASS buy and sell oil in bulk and customer gets billed for the exact oil consumed. Why can't VW do so.What does VW, Germany do? I do not think they will appreciate a used jar of motor oil in their boot after service. Or is this India specific.
Old 24th March 2015, 20:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak K Gupta View Post
What is the customer supposed to do with the balance motor oil anyway. DIY guys may use it for their oil can but most cars are serviced at a year's interval and do not need any top-up and the jar will probably be lying at the customers place untouched since the last service-imagine after the 6th. service he will have an engine full of oil lying - what a waste. Most ASS buy and sell oil in bulk and customer gets billed for the exact oil consumed. Why can't VW do so.What does VW, Germany do? I do not think they will appreciate a used jar of motor oil in their boot after service. Or is this India specific.
Very correctly mentioned Deepak !!

With every 200ml - 300ml of Oil remaining with customers, the customer shall have to get the Car Serviced at least 15-20 times to accumulate as much oil required for a wholesome Oil Change in a Canister at home or in the Garage.

By that time the life of the vehicle shall already be either juiced by the Owner or the vehicle shall in the hands of it's 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th User !!

I do not believe that anyone would take as much pain to store the balance oil received from the Authorized Service Centre for future use and even if one does, the question is whether the Authourized Service Centre would use the Oil brought in by the Customer ?

So, the ambiguity shall again persist to remain ...... so as to - "what to do with the balance oil ?"
Old 24th March 2015, 20:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:

- Oil is a high margin product for dealers (and petrol pumps). Along with this 0.7 liter theft, their net profit is fat on each oil change.

Shame on VW & its dealers to cheat their premium car customers in this manner. As if the 20 lakhs worth of business when buying a new car wasn't enough.
Is there any reliable source of this information? Is this true for Synthetic or semi Synthetic brand.I havent seen the VW Pune West using barrels. They have used the regular 4 liter cans Synthetic oil. Last 2 service, i have got the residual oil in return. I agree that VAG is no saint, but cribbing about every damn thing is also not right.
Old 24th March 2015, 22:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak K Gupta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Very correctly mentioned Deepak !!

With every 200ml - 300ml of Oil remaining with customers, the customer shall have to get the Car Serviced at least 15-20 times to accumulate as much oil required for a wholesome Oil Change in a Canister at home or in the Garage.

By that time the life of the vehicle shall already be either juiced by the Owner or the vehicle shall in the hands of it's 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th User !!

I do not believe that anyone would take as much pain to store the balance oil received from the Authorized Service Centre for future use and even if one does, the question is whether the Authourized Service Centre would use the Oil brought in by the Customer ?

So, the ambiguity shall again persist to remain ...... so as to - "what to do with the balance oil ?"
There is always a oil top up that can be done mid-interval. In fact its recommended that we do it. Saying the customer needed billion years to gather liters is a naive statement which i dont expect from a tbhp member.
Even some maruti service station return the residual oil.
Old 24th March 2015, 22:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I think its the VW dealers who resort to all such malpractices. I am not sure to what extent VW could enforce such processes wherein a dealer toes the company line.

In my past experience in dealing with VW, the company's reputation has been butchered by dealers and service stations at every level - pre-sales and post-sales service experience. Somehow, they need to have a new model in place to ensure that service experience improves across the country.
Old 24th March 2015, 22:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
There is always a oil top up that can be done mid-interval. In fact its recommended that we do it. Saying the customer needed billion years to gather liters is a naive statement which i dont expect from a tbhp member.
Even some maruti service station return the residual oil.
Disagree. Oil top ups can only be done if your engine is burning up oil and oil top ups are not done just for the sake of it. Most new cars engine oil levels do not drop sufficiently to be topped up till the next service unless there is an issue. This is not coolant where the distilled water evaporates, that we are talking about. Lastly, please do not be judgemental.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks