Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2015, 14:27   #16
BHPian

re: XUV500 catches fire. No response from Mahindra or dealership!

This is shocking. The fire could be due to the battery. One of my cousin previously owned a Scorpio and according to him the quality of the battery provided by Mahindra is not up to the mark. He said the battery had to be changed after two years. There were no issues other than the battery as he is a very disciplined driver. Rats may also be another reason for the fire. I know very well what these little things can do. They made me go to the service center for almost 6-7 times last year and three times this month. Changing the wires cost me around 10k this time.
Mahindra should investigate this matter as deep as possible. There are millions of XUVs rolling in the streets of our country. If this car have some serious issues, this could be life threatening for some people. I remember Mahindra calling many XUVs for some issues with their brakes.
Hope your car gets ready to roll very soon.
Old 29th June 2015, 14:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

What is very confusing is the fact that the car did not go up in flames while it was running. So it does not seem to be a case of over heating or short circuit.

At least, your friend would have seen some smoke during driving or after he parked the car. How can a stationary car randomly ignite after 15 minutes of standing idle? This surely needs investigation!
Old 29th June 2015, 14:43   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Sahil for all the information. Curiosity is at it's peak now. Everything seems just perfect and we have the scary incidence. I can only imagine how the owner must be feeling with the ignorance and delays from the manufacturer or dealer. Mahindra Automobiles must address this on priority. Like owner, we too are curious to know what the problem was.

And the least they can do until the diagnosis happens, issue an advisory/ acknowledge openly that they have noted and actions are being taken. At the same time, the affected owner must be taken care of by whatever best they can do. They have an opportunity here to strengthen their brand - incidences do happen but ones like this are the most scariest. A deterrent to future buyers too if left with an experience that further lowers customer's trust in the brand.

Glued to the thread updates.
Old 29th June 2015, 21:01   #19
BHPian

By looking at the first picture, it looks like the Battery is the culprit.

As you can see in the pic battery is completely burnt.
I hope Mahindra finds the root cause so that its doesn't repeat in other vehicles
Old 29th June 2015, 22:01   #20
Team-BHP Support

You mentioned AC service, seems like they did not put something back properly after the service OR from the pics the headlights seems to have triggered. Does this vehicle have a central locking system or follow me home head lights function?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 22:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4power View Post
. I remember Mahindra calling many XUVs for some issues with their brakes.
Hope your car gets ready to roll very soon.
Mahindra never officially acknowledged faulty brake-pad design, siren clamp, improper driver's side headlight adjustment, unreliable infotainment system among many serious niggles. So there was never a recall for XUV regarding it but for wiper blade assembly + power window motor. Though they rectified these issues under warranty or FOC on customer's insistence and that too varies from service center to service center. One do not accept a niggle a niggle and refuses to rectify it under warranty whereas other service center easily did it.
Old 29th June 2015, 22:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You mentioned AC service, seems like they did not put something back properly after the service OR from the pics the headlights seems to have triggered. Does this vehicle have a central locking system or follow me home head lights function?
Jaggu, You are on to something here.
Yes This car does have follow me home headlights.

If you see the picture it looks like the condenser has melted away. I am guessing the flames started from somewhere down there.

XUV500 catches fire. No response from Mahindra or dealership!-xuv.jpg

Last edited by Captain Slow : 29th June 2015 at 22:58.
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 22:51   #23
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 30th June 2015 at 14:37. Reason: Spelling mistake
4x4power is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th June 2015, 23:07   #24
BHPian

Heartfelt sympathies to the owner. But are we sure it was the vehicle's fault? I meant it took the vehicle 15 mins to burn and there was absolute no smoke either when he turned off the engine. Can't it be an outcome of some personal enmity/arson? Was there any Cctv footage available. Was the guard there around the vehicles all the time? These points need to be investigated in my opinion.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 09:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

A few years back I saw a Honda City being parked by the owner at a place that had dry leaves, and a few minutes later the leaves caught fire, as the owner was standing next to the car, and car was also unlocked, a few boys standing at a tea stall close by did the risky thing of pushing the car back.
Parking over something inflammable is a risk that is often un knowingly taken, you can ask your friend if there was something like leaves papers etc on the ground when he parked the car.

Rahul
Old 30th June 2015, 10:09   #26
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Heartfelt sympathies to the owner. But are we sure it was the vehicle's fault? I meant it took the vehicle 15 mins to burn and there was absolute no smoke either when he turned off the engine. Can't it be an outcome of some personal enmity/arson?
+1 to that. I was thinking on the same lines. Has there been any due diligence done to confirm/rule out it wasn't an 'external force' at play here to damage the car ? If it was something within the engine bay that triggered it, wouldn't there have been some symptoms like smoke/burning smell, etc while the vehicle was being driven and ignition switched on ? Rather, the whole thing started after 10-15 minutes of the vehicle being switched off and parked.
Old 30th June 2015, 10:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Can't it be an outcome of some personal enmity/arson? Was there any Cctv footage available. Was the guard there around the vehicles all the time? These points need to be investigated in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
+1 to that. I was thinking on the same lines. Has there been any due diligence done to confirm/rule out it wasn't an 'external force' at play here to damage the car ? :
This is a possibility. However, it is still Mahindra's job to investigate the cause and come up with a detailed report on the causes of this incident.
Old 1st July 2015, 17:11   #28
BHPian

Re: XUV500 catches fire. No response from Mahindra or dealership!

I would say it is a simple case of a short circuit, resulting in sparks igniting some inflammable component, which then spread. I remember a few years ago, my neighbour returned from his office in his Dzire, parked in the compound and went into his apartment. A good 10-15 minutes later we heard a loud crash and on rushing to our respective balconies we saw that his car had lunged forward and hit the back of another parked car. On later inspection we discovered that he had left the car in 1st gear and a short circuit in the wiring for the starter motor had actually started the car. Since it was in 1st gear it surged forward until stopped by the other car. Rats are usually the culprits for this sort of thing.
Old 5th July 2015, 12:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
Dear all,

--> Very recently A/C had not been working properly, and even then it was taken to Mahindra where they serviced the complete system.

Sir, the car is under 100 percent stock condition, very recently the headlight bulb got fused, even that was changed at MASS....
Very sad incident indeed, my sympathies are with the owner. As others have mentioned, one first need to eliminate external factors like dry leaves, sabotage, drain with some combustible oil flowing under the car etc.

From the descriptions that I highlighted above I believe 2 points need to be checked,
1. AC Service- did something go wrong in the AC unit post servicing it?
2. Bulb change- did the replacement bulb caused any over heating in the wiring which triggered a spark/flame?
Old 8th July 2015, 09:32   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

It's around 10 days now after this is reported. Just wondering if anyone has got any update? It would help if someone who knows this incidence or has been following offline can post an update so we everyone on the forum and curious owners like me know that there is something happening.

Appreciate your updates. And thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks