Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 12:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

EssKay Fiat shuts shop in Mumbai

Esskay Fiat, the only Fiat dealer for South Mumbai is now no longer an authorised Fiat dealer. This is based on news seen recently in the Time of India (the ad was too small to be noticed). Esskay will no longer sell or service any Fiat vehicles or provide any spares or repair work.

Now Mumbai/navi Mumbai/Thane region are left with 3 dealers - Balaji Fiat (Thane +Navi Mumbai), Torrid and RS motors.

This is not auguring good news especially at a time when Fiat is gearing to introduce some new models particularly Abarth Punto, possible Abarth Linea too and the Jeep variants (if at all they plan too). Quite recently a well known and admired Fiat dealer in Pune Pandit Auto also closed its door for Fiat vehicles. At a time when Fiat should be expanding their network such news dampen their sales and put a question mark in the probable Fiat buyers too about Fiat's intention to ramp up their image.
Attached Thumbnails
EssKay Fiat shuts shop in Mumbai-p_20150829_080154.jpg  

ghodlur is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 12:58   #2
BHPian

Re: EssKay Fiat shuts shop in Mumbai

So now, Torrid is the only dealer left in Mumbai. This is creating monopoly and not good in the long run.
vinit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 13:44   #3
h14
BHPian

Quite surprising especially when dealers downsouth are expanding.
RDC, Ramkay and Marvel have opened additional sales and service facilities in here.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 15:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Were there service issues / problems with EssKay? Could probably be one of the reason why it was asked to withdraw from the dealership. May be too many complaints reported to Fiat?
Old 31st August 2015, 16:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Were there service issues / problems with EssKay? Could probably be one of the reason why it was asked to withdraw from the dealership. May be too many complaints reported to Fiat?
As far as I know, Esskay was not even having their own service center. They were only selling cars. May be Fiat could have given them some timeline to start their own service center which they failed to do. That could be the reason, I guess.
Old 1st September 2015, 08:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit View Post
As far as I know, Esskay was not even having their own service center. They were only selling cars.
Esskay did have a service centre which was within the dealership complex itself. It was a showroom cum workshop outlet. I guess the reason for Esskay opting out must be something else and not due to poor response or customer complaints.

A little chat with the owner of Balaji Fiat, Thane revealed that dealers are facing a huge cash crunch due to low sales and inventory of the spares + land cost. There was a round of talks by dealers all across India and Mr Kevin Flynn where Fiat again failed to assure the dealers that new product launch will be hastened. Hence most of the dealers are knocking off their inventory and overheads and searching for greener pastures.
ghodlur is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 12:17   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's because of such situations that you can't argue with the 'aam junta' who stick to established brands. 99% of the car market is made up of customers who only want a safe & fuss-free ownership experience.

Buy from a flop brand and you pay the price. I face a similar predicament with my Nissan Sunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is what you get for buying a car from a lousy brand.

My Sunny used to be earlier serviced at Ichibaan Nissan. Shut down.

Then, it went to Kamla Nissan. Shut down.

Though I'm in the center of the city, there is no dealer close by! It's either Bhandup (very far away) or Navi Mumbai & Thane (different cities altogether). In comparison, Maruti, Hyundai, Tata, Mahindra, Mercedes, BMW etc. all have outlets within a 5 kms radius from home.

Things just seem to go from bad to worse for Nissan & its customers. What terrible management. Hardly a surprise that they're a flop show in India. You don't work hard & smart, you don't deserve success.
If you live in Central - South Mumbai, the nearest Fiat service station is 1 - 2 hours away . This, in one of the biggest markets in India. Imagine how owners in smaller cities would be coping up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I guess the reason for Esskay opting out must be something else and not due to poor response or customer complaints.
Fiat isn't in a position where it can easily cancel dealerships because of service quality.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 13:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

A little chat with the owner of Balaji Fiat, Thane revealed that dealers are facing a huge cash crunch due to low sales and inventory of the spares + land cost. There was a round of talks by dealers all across India and Mr Kevin Flynn where Fiat again failed to assure the dealers that new product launch will be hastened. Hence most of the dealers are knocking off their inventory and overheads and searching for greener pastures.
It was the same story with Pandit Auto in Pune as well. It's business and where there is no profit whom would want to stick around.

Cheers,
pdma.
Old 1st September 2015, 14:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you live in Central - South Mumbai, the nearest Fiat service station is 1 - 2 hours away . This, in one of the biggest markets in India. Imagine how owners in smaller cities would be coping up.
The distance wise is ok in Bangalore with 3 service centers around. But the biggest pain is the traffic, it will take anywhere between 1-2 hours if you decide to head the service center at the other side of the city .

All 3 service centers are not in the heart of the city.

With margins getting thinner, the service quality is a hit or miss. Will update my thread with the recent experience.
Old 24th October 2015, 08:52   #10
BHPian

I'm not at all surprised by this. I bought my Punto from them and had a horrid time with their mismanagement and appalling service. I cite two reasons for the same:

1. Considering Fiat's dwindling sales which directly affected their numbers, their plush and massive showroom in the heart of Bombay clearly would have been unaffordable to maintain.

2. Either mine was a one off case of terrible service or their service was indeed poor with all other people that perhaps detracted potential buyers towards Torrid / Balaji.
Old 24th October 2015, 09:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's because of such situations that you can't argue with the 'aam junta' who stick to established brands. 99% of the car market is made up of customers who only want a safe & fuss-free ownership experience.

Buy from a flop brand and you pay the price. I face a similar predicament with my Nissan Sunny.

Fiat isn't in a position where it can easily cancel dealerships because of service quality.
I agree. The situation in Pune was slightly better though. We had three dealers which is better than having three in a city as big as Mumbai. However, the dealer who was by far the best, Pandit Auto has shut shop. My buying experience was very good and even the service was pretty fine. Never felt bad about the decision to buy a Fiat. Pandit Auto were among the better service centers pan India too with quite a few good guys.

Now that they are closed, Fiat owners in Pune will have to head to either Skymoto or Jay Vijay, both of which are reported to be below par!

Good part however is that Pandit will still service Fiats, but will have no official status which means one can use them after the warrantee expires.

It is defenitely a big blow if well known and admired dealers start shutting shop. You cant blame them though with Fiat only selling around 1000 cars per month, share per dealer would be pretty low to keep going. And when a company is not in a position to cancel dealerships because of service quality, it is very difficult to keep a check on the dealers and you are always at their mercy.
Old 24th October 2015, 09:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I agree. The situation in Pune was slightly better though. We had three dealers which is better than having three in a city as big as Mumbai. However, the dealer who was by far the best, Pandit Auto has shut shop. My buying experience was very good and even the service was pretty fine. Never felt bad about the decision to buy a Fiat. Pandit Auto were among the better service centers pan India too with quite a few good guys.
It is defenitely a big blow if well known and admired dealers start shutting shop. You cant blame them though with Fiat only selling around 1000 cars per month, share per dealer would be pretty low to keep going. And when a company is not in a position to cancel dealerships because of service quality, it is very difficult to keep a check on the dealers and you are always at their mercy.
This is my biggest concern too. There are only 2 dealers in Hyderabad and I hate to think what will happen if the better one shuts shop. Fiat can keep making money from engines, but what will the dealers do? They need the volumes to keep going. Fiat seriously needs a good car that brings volumes and then the volumes for all others will go up too.
Old 24th October 2015, 10:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Imagine this, there are just 3 in all of the 7 sister states, I don't know what happens to people who buy a FIAT in say Manipur, Tripura or Nagaland or even Arunchal for that matter.

A very confidence losing idea this. Don't know how they intend to keep going like this.
Old 6th November 2015, 18:45   #14
BHPian

For brands like FIAT its better they tie up with multi-brand service centers like Carnation or First Choice. FIAT Dealers and service centers are shutting down due to poor sales. No one is interested in investing so much and not getting returns. At least with a multi brand service center the owners will have a satisfaction that they will get service.
Old 10th November 2015, 20:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit View Post
So now, Torrid is the only dealer left in Mumbai. This is creating monopoly and not good in the long run.
Torrid Andheri has a large banner announcing space available...... It's on my way to work and I did not notice any cars either. Not sure if they have closed down or moved elsewhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks