Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2015, 13:25   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda dealers charging RTO tax & insurance on old (higher) price, not new (lower) price

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, just to clarify again, the ex-showroom price has been officially lowered by Skoda India (check S2's post #12 above). Hence, the tax has to be calculated on the new + lower ex-showroom price only.
Agreed. The original post with the example of a t-shirt on discount is what misled me (and many others, I think). The follow-up in #12 has clarified matters immensely.

What confuses me now is this - I did a bit of searching for road tax rates, and arrived at this page which only talks about road tax on an annual basis (even for private vehicles). More confusingly, it is driven purely by weight of the vehicle, and not by the ex-showroom price slab. What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Add this point the the New car buyers checklist as dealers of other manufacturers might be doing it too.
Excellent point .
Probably best to start with cross-checking the ex-showroom price the dealer shows vs. the city-wise pricelist the company shows; and then check every additional expense added on towards the on-road price.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 21:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda dealers charging RTO tax & insurance on old (higher) price, not new (lower) price

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The whole point of starting the thread was this:

^is a screen shot from Skoda's official website stating the new ex-showroom. So, if the company is officially reducing the cost, the dealers are just passing it off as a promotional (ex-showroom) price and continuing to extract higher RTO charges from their customers.
We also need to bear in mind that such RTO processes generally take time - which is why cars are sometimes 'launched' by manufacturers, but are not yet available for sale until a few weeks (and in some cases a month or two) later. Changing ANYTHING with the RTO takes time - it is nowhere as quick as updating your website.

I'm not alluding that this is the case here (it depends on the time between the price slash and the purchase), but it is one of the possibilities.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 15:13   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Agreed. The original post with the example of a t-shirt on discount is what misled me (and many others, I think).
Thanks! Changed the example for more clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
We also need to bear in mind that such RTO processes generally take time - which is why cars are sometimes 'launched' by manufacturers, but are not yet available for sale until a few weeks (and in some cases a month or two) later.
That's the case with a freshly launched new model - not a variant with the same mechanicals. As an example, if Maruti launches a special stickered edition, you'll pay tax on the special edition's price only.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks