Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2015, 13:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Renault dealer (Nirmal Cars, Jaipur) crashes a month old Duster

It seems the cost of repair would be ~2L as the radiator, intercooler and all other related parts are damaged, even the damage to the locks will make a component unusable. Ideally they should have replaced the car however I faintly remember seeing the terms for service says the dealer is not responsible for any accident during a test drive, in the sense the car's insurance will be used.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 10th November 2015 at 13:36.
Old 10th November 2015, 14:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Bad time for Renault I guess.

First the rod falling on a brand new Kwid which was hardly 2 weeks back, and now this.

To be honest, I cannot understand how the Airbags deployed. There is no impact visible whatsoever on the bonnet, Bumpers too seem intact. What kind of an accident could result in Airbag deployment but no damage to the front bumpers & bonnet (agreed the bull bar crashed but still)
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 14:20   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry, all I see is a mis-aligned bumper + scuff plate + the additional bullbar(?). Am I missing something?

While I feel they should replace the car (no doubt, its just one month old), I am not sure I can call this a serious crash or something. And if it was a serious crash, shouldn't both the airbags deploy? I see only driver side airbag is deployed here. The bumper is not even broken & calling it a serious crash is going overboard IMO.
Did you not see all the photos? What you are saying is the exterior body damage is not much. But look closer and you see airbags have deployed. This means that there was structural damage to the front. The airbags won't deploy for superficial damage. The airbag is triggered by the sensor located in the front crumple zone. Along with that add a new radiator, intercooler, front sub frame mount and the body damage parts. Easily above 1-1.5 lakhs for repair.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 14:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Who will check or confirm that ? If its the same dealer, they are anyway going to make the repairs off the books and say the car is fine.
If there is any issue, it should manifest over the next couple of years, and then the extended warranty should help.

Quote:
Also if the owner shifts to a different city tomorrow, the damage will be discovered by another dealer. Since it is not on the records he will lose is entire warranty because it would be said that he has had it repaired from somewhere other than an authorized one.

My suggestion if you get it repaired, get it done on the record and a letter from the dealer mentioning the incident. You will not face warranty issues later.
Definitely needs to be placed on record and the extended warranty should be across service centers.
Old 10th November 2015, 14:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

This is some serious crash. The deployment of airbags indicate that!

That being said, it'll be difficult to get a replacement as most service forms have the fineprint which says "The customers car is left and can be driven around at the owner's risk."
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 16:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
That being said, it'll be difficult to get a replacement as most service forms have the fineprint which says "The customers car is left and can be driven around at the owner's risk."
Quite an Irony isn't it.

1. Car is left and driven around at owners risk
2. Owner not allowed inside the workshop
3. Cannot service outside else it will void warranty

So in a nutshell, the Service staff can treat our cars like shit and we do not have any option but to let it happen.
vinit.merchant is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 17:15   #22
BHPian

That looks really bad, and that happening to a one month old car,the owner must be heartbroken. A replacement would be the most logical and ethical decision that Renault should take here and if so I'd applaud them for the same.

A service form having an indemnity clause does not give the service centre a right to treat a customer's vehicle according to their whims and fancies. The clause means nothing as the service centre itself has failed to provide the basic need for which the car was brought to the centre, an error free as-per-book first service!

I do believe the service centre should not be left to go scot-free for this incident and the owner should fight tooth and nail specially since he had to suffer this ordeal.

Last edited by richie4u : 10th November 2015 at 17:21.
richie4u is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 08:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
look closer and you see airbags have deployed. This means that there was structural damage to the front. The airbags won't deploy for superficial damage. The airbag is triggered by the sensor located in the front crumple zone. Along with that add a new radiator, intercooler, front sub frame mount and the body damage parts. Easily above 1-1.5 lakhs for repair.
Woah that's a HUGE assumption to make mate. Airbags need not only deploy in the case of loss of structural integrity. Crumple zone itself need not be a direct recipient of damage; the force can be transmitted in many ways and varies from position and impact angle thus one can never guarantee that airbags will only deploy in x situation. Sometimes you can even cause the airbags to deploy (if the key is in the ignition) just by whacking the bumper with a good swing of your arm and a bat at the right position

Car does look bad but until it is verified and checked, one cannot say that it has incurred that much damage for all you know the total cost of repairs could just come up to 50k
Old 11th November 2015, 10:29   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Woah that's a HUGE assumption to make mate. Airbags need not only deploy in the case of loss of structural integrity. Crumple zone itself need not be a direct recipient of damage; the force can be transmitted in many ways and varies from position and impact angle thus one can never guarantee that airbags will only deploy in x situation. Sometimes you can even cause the airbags to deploy (if the key is in the ignition) just by whacking the bumper with a good swing of your arm and a bat at the right position
Ishaan, it is impossible to deploy the airbag with a bat. If that were the case we would have cases of Swifts and i20's deploying airbags every other day. Have you seen how many Swift Z models have had bumps in the front or bumpers hanging out.

Secondly, my assumption was made not with the airbag deploying alone, but along with that the damage seen behind the bumper grill to the radiator. You need a solid impact to push the radiator inside so much.

Thirdly, airbag deploying, front bumper, grill damage, radiator and possibly intercooler damage is not a small damage. It is very significant and even more so in a 1 month old car which has never been in an accident even a small one.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 13:47   #25
BHPian

Just thinking loud, why cant the dealer fix it and sell it off as a "refurbished" car (with some extended warranty ) and give the current owner a new car. That way the refurbished car owner gets a good deal, the current owner is also happy, and the company gets some brownie points on the customer service/support!!
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 14:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry, all I see is a mis-aligned bumper + scuff plate + the additional bullbar(?). Am I missing something?

While I feel they should replace the car (no doubt, its just one month old), I am not sure I can call this a serious crash or something. And if it was a serious crash, shouldn't both the airbags deploy? I see only driver side airbag is deployed here. The bumper is not even broken & calling it a serious crash is going overboard IMO.
Based on the 12 lakh cost mentioned by the OP and the stripes on hood suggesting a limited edition, I think the car is a 85ps RxL variant. It does not come with dual airbags. It only comes with driver airbag.
mrbaddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2015, 14:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

I totally resonate with your feelings. However, I dont think you will get the resolution you want. However, you should get the maximum you can as compensation from the dealer via Extended Warranty, Complete Service Coverage (AMC) for atleast two years, buy back guarantee (since the extra depreciation on your car due to the accident is because of the dealer). You should bargain on the above points and get the maximum out.

Complete replacement is highly unlikely and will only cause you emotional trouble for a very long time.
Old 11th November 2015, 14:34   #28
BHPian

To be honest, Companies have NO conscience. All the branding is just for us to pay them more. They, in effect, don't really mean anything thats said in Advts. Also, AFAIK they can't/won't do much to penalise their dealer (Dealer = people who earn them sweet revenue).

IF the post goes viral, then MAYBE they'll do something more to please the affected party ("you"). But I highly doubt you'll ever get a replacement car from Renault.

Expecting a new car from the dealer would be too optimistic too, they'll most likely take it to any lengths to evade liability. They'll prolly choose to put their idle standby lawyers to work than incur cost of insurance loss, repair cost & diminished resale value & possible damages claim.

Also considering this may set a precedent for others incase the court case is in your favour, they'll go to further appeal & this will take MONTHS, if not years, while the car rots having been dumped open to air/elements in the dealership (for which they'll charge HEAVY parking charges).

This happened to another person I know & he accepted the dealers offer to repair it off the record at their own costs - repairs took a week. Then, coincidentally it happened so the very next day that he took a test drive of the same model from the same dealers sales showroom and somehow, the car crashed. Apparently the TD car had a fault & he didn't bear any liability.

Anyway, have a Happy & Safe Diwali!

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 11th November 2015 at 14:40.
WorkingGuru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 17:27   #29
BHPian

^^^^^^^^^
And that's a way to apply balm to the OP's heart that I never thought of. You sir ( or your friend) , are a vindictive genius :-)
john doe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 18:40   #30
BHPian

A Duster crashing is not a new thing at this dealership. When the vehicle was launched, the test drive vehicle was crashed by one of the employee too. The roads around the dealership are pretty wide. But, there's a big circle very close to the showroom with multiple roads diverging and converging out of it. This is what leads to such incidents when an over enthusiastic driver fast around the place.

Oh and the previous crash was even worse. The car crashed into the airport wall

The owner should definitely demand a new car and the dealership should bear all the losses.

Most Viewed