Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2015, 11:34   #1
BHPian

Audi dealer (Regent Garage, Delhi) fakes papers to sell older car as new

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50305517.cms

A Delhi-based Audi dealer was booked on Tuesday for allegedly selling a 2011 model as new in 2012, by forging the documents.

Police said Rajiv Gambhir had purchased an Audi car from a dealership on Mathura road in March 2012. The documents given by the dealer were allegedly of a 2012 model, but later, when Gambhir tried to sell it, he found the car was actually a 2011 model, after which he lodged a complaint. The case was forwarded to the economic offences wing, which found the complaint to be true. The FIR has been lodged under sections 420 (cheating), 465 (forgery) and 120 b (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC. Sanjay Yadav

"We have lodged an FIR against Regent Garage Private Limited and further investigations are under way," said inspector Heera Singh, SHO, DLF-I police station.

Dealer Name: AUDI Delhi (A unit of Regent Garage Pvt Ltd)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Audi-...35897006527102

Audi Delhi (Regent Garage)
http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...in-delhi/7513/

Last edited by aerohit : 24th December 2015 at 11:37.
aerohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 12:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Audi dealer (Regent Garage, Delhi) fakes papers to sell older car as new

All of them are scoundrels. Reminds me of a similar case with a BMW dealer - thread link.

Caveat Emptor! Ignore the Team-BHP PDI checklist at your own risk. Among other things, running a VIN check is mandatory. 2 hours of PDI can save you 200 hours of sorrow later.

I must also add that there is NO WAY the manufacturer isn't aware of this. Audi & BMW have basically turned a blind eye here.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 12:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi dealer (Regent Garage, Delhi) fakes papers to sell older car as new

Although I don't have the details of this report, I somehow think that this case is simply blown out of proportion. It isn't uncommon for stocks of CKD and CBU cars to be sold after 6-8 months of their manufacture / import date. This time frame can be more in some instances as well. If there is a car manufactured in Aug 2011 but registered in Jan 2012, it is still a 2011 car but owners often do this to claim that their vehicle belongs to the next year. Sure, the sales persons may have either knowingly or unknowingly claimed that this was a 2012 car (based on the registration date) but then it is the owners responsibility to re-confirm the manufacturing date and decode the VIN.

At the time of resale, buyers generally tend to see the manufactured date of the vehicle while negotiating the price. It seems that at this time the Audi owner realized the manufactured year of his car and got furious with the lower quote as the car was a year older than he thought.

I wouldn't really blame the dealers unless the documents were fabricated and the manufacturing year was fraudulently changed (not matching the VIN). The report speaks very little about facts of this case.

Last edited by S2!!! : 24th December 2015 at 12:25.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 12:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

What documents did the dealer forge?

If the dealer gave brochures or informed the buyer this it was MY2012 car but delivered a MY2011 car which perhaps had some new kit missing from the MY2012 then we have a case. Or may be if he was sold an really old lemon/demo car.

Don't really understand what's the cheating case here.
Old 24th December 2015, 12:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I wouldn't really blame the dealers unless the documents were fabricated and the manufacturing year was fraudulently changed.
The report indicates the dealership is at blame. If it was honest indeed, how can the documents indicate 2012? Date of manufacture and Model Year would always show as 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
[URLThe documents given by the dealer were allegedly of a 2012 model, but later, when Gambhir tried to sell it, he found the car was actually a 2011 model, after which he lodged a complaint. The case was forwarded to the economic offences wing, which found the complaint to be true.
Old 25th December 2015, 11:27   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
It isn't uncommon for stocks of CKD and CBU cars to be sold after 6-8 months of their manufacture / import date.
Fantastic point! With CKDs, there is always a couple of months difference (usually 3 - 6) between the VIN date (from Germany) and actual assembly date (in India).

That said, the Indian manufacturer will always give the Indian production date in the certificate. This case appears to be a forgery of that.
Old 26th December 2015, 21:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Let's wait and see what forgery gets established. Possibly the complainant did not have the benefit of industry knowledge that imported cars get sold a few months after their date of production overseas. He certainly did not have Team BHP's lessons on VIN numbers. The plaintiff's grouse may be fully justified in him being led to believe he was buying a 2012 manufactured vehicle - after all March is not January. I would wait to learn more before labeling the dealer. GTO is right. Team BHP list of to do's before buying is worth its weight in gold.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks