Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2016, 06:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

One of our neighbours had a fancy to try and cook new recipes. She had pride in sharing with some of us. Invariable there used to be something delicious coming from her kitchens atleast once a month, and this was for almost an 18 months period.

One day she decided to put up a menu and a rate card on the notice board inciting people to 'buy' food.

That was the last we saw anything from our neighbour. I'm not getting into how successful or how many orders she gets , but when things used to come with love it was lovely. The moment it became monetary there was an uneasy calm.

You love cars. You love those who seek your opinion. You love to see the smile on their faces when they acknowledge what you've done. I think that's a much higher joy for you. 😊
jkrishnakj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:19   #32
BHPian

re: Taking favours from a dealership for giving them business

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I was in a dilemma. Not anymore.
I'm glad that I'm in the company of non-corrupt people, who have helped strengthen my resolution. I'm not going to ask for anything. The intangible benefits far outweigh the tangible ones.
Congratulations on making a wise decision.

Also appreciate the fact that you dared to share your thoughts, even though you would have been aware that there could be some harsh words. Very few of us charter into this kind of territory, fearing negativity.

Lets see you updating this thread 5 yrs down the line, on what all you gained by "strengthening relationships".

Cheers !!
nkghai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 08:47   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

You know, between 2011 and 2015 I think without exaggeration, that I have personally been responsible for driving close to 3-3.5 Cr worth of sales to the dealer who sold me my Yeti.

From what their GM told me, before he left, he has had at least 20 customers who have bought Yeti's and Lauras and Fabias and Rapids and whatnot from him.

He did assure me that he made sure everyone who came there and quoted my reference from TBHP were treated well.

I sure hope that is true.

My own observation is that I have always been treated very well at the Service Centre too, right from the start. There are a few people there whom I know and whom I trust. So far they've looked after me and my vehicle very well.

I recently met their new GM of Service. Another very nice gentleman. I do have some common old time connections with him but that apart, he is a smart and dynamic person who is also a good "manager" and that is one of the things you need for a service centre to be efficient.

Even the driver who comes to collect and drop my vehicle is known to me and I make sure I give him a little token something for his trouble every time he picks up or drops my vehicle after servicing.

It is not hard to be nice to people. And I believe there is a "circle of virtue" which if you follow in a normal honest manner, does come back and help you if and when you need it.
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 09:36   #34
BHPian

Good topic brought up. Though accepting gifts for referrals, if you are a DSA or field sales staff makes perfect sense because you are making a living of it. But just for the heck of making some money from the dealership for their sales made on your referral is something which is based on perspective.
As many bhpians have pointed out that there is something called goodwill and I feel the smile on the face of your relative or friends for having purchased an excellent vehicle on your sole recommendations is worth living for.
I work for a PSB and here we had run a referral program for our exiting customers and it was well taken by our customers. So, if dealers are running such programs I find no harm in you accepting these gifts, but the same should not be at the cost of you soliciting in a hard way.

On my recent purchase of ANJ from a leading dealer in Chennai I told my SA that I will refer my friends for purchase of ANJ, just because I felt good about the car and not that I expect some kickbacks from the dealer or SA. My car was delivered within a fortnight and the way I was treated left me mighty impressed, hence decided to return the good gesture by referring clients to my SA and I will always expect a fair treatment during regular service of my vehicle.

Amidst all the gloom our bhpians uphold the integrity of being human. Take a bow!
MDED is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:35   #35
BHPian

Friendship and Money

Oil and Water
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 12:30   #36
BHPian

I have helped 6 of my friends by sending them to a particular Ford Dealer for different models and that could easily add up to 30 plus lakh of sale for him.

Every time I insist that he gives the maximum discount in the mode(cash/insurance/accessory) they prefer. By this i make sure my friends are happy that they got a good vehicle with good discounts and the dealer treats them specially in delivery and discounts for the business he gets from me. As mentioned by many of our fellow bhpians with friends I prefer not to mix money and relationship. I have even advised other brands not just Ford and made sure my friends feel that they have made the best decision on deciding the car.

Cheers
Self Driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:05   #37
BHPian

If you do want to do it, do it transparently and / or professionally, i.e. a car buying consultant. Else it seems to be unethical.

Also, as fellow members have pointed out, if something happens as a "by the way" in a goodwill gesture then it's fine. In my case, I had referred at least 10-12 folks to the gym I visit. Next thing I knew was I had 6 months of free membership although the gym had no scheme going on.
avdhesh15 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:15   #38
BHPian

I think it is fair enough to expect some sort of appreciation from the dealership/company for any referral that you do. I think thats the whole idea on which the MARUTI/NEXA loyalty cards are based on. Even in the corporate world, you do get some compensation for every referral for a role that you make.
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:31   #39
BHPian

I think you will always be paid in kind by the dealer - they will try and keep you happy by better service, not 'fleecing' you, better care of your car, some freebies here & there during services, etc.

The dealer will always put a premium on you / your ride, as they know, that you can spoil their reputation as well impacting business (you see, after sale services is an important source of revenue).

So, enjoy the 'importance' you are getting from the dealer & your friends!!
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

No you shouldn't. You stop giving neutral advice when you start getting commission in cash or kind.

Quote:
I have always been asked for advice and recommendations from friends when they were buying cars.
Applies to almost all of us.

Quote:
This was not just recommending the car, but arranging for the test drive, negotiating with the dealer, getting faster delivery, etc. - the cost for me being my time.
That's surprising. As I've never heard anyone do these things.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 15:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is my dilemma. Should I demand my pound of flesh from the dealer for giving him business?

I have always been asked for advice and recommendations from friends when they were buying cars. Since I bought my Ford Aspire, I have built a good rapport with the dealership. And with first hand experience of Ford, I have also convinced a couple of friends to buy a Ford. This was not just recommending the car, but arranging for the test drive, negotiating with the dealer, getting faster delivery, etc. - the cost for me being my time. I'm sure a lot of BHPians do the same.

In this transaction the buyer gets the car, the dealer gets his money, the govt. gets its taxes - should I get something? I'm thinking of asking for accessories for my car..

Would I be right in asking for it? Opinions and suggestions are welcome.
Others have already indicated some moral angles or the official referral angle. I have two other points.

A. As the owner of a car that sold a measly 855 units in February, within six months of its release, I think you will gain peace of mind when others follow suit and buy more Fords. No one likes to be owning a market dud - with the ensuing impact on parts availability and service experience. So please get on with evangelizing the car - even if to insure your own purchase!

B. If they offer something, turn it right back and instead make that as a discount for your friends. What better gift / foundation for your friendship than to help them navigate the confusing and complex world of cars with the plethora of choices, and on top of it, get them a sweet "samaspire" deal. Trust me, karma is real.

PS: Should your friends find out that you made some margin on their purchases, they may not be too happy. Good friends are worth much much more than a few thousand in accessories. Karma cuts both ways, and its merciless! Don't tempt it!

Last edited by phamilyman : 22nd March 2016 at 15:09.
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:06   #42
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is my dilemma. Should I demand my pound of flesh from the dealer for giving him business?
The people who are asking you for your suggestions/recommendation are your friends/relatives/acquaintances who trust you and think they can get a honest opinion. Now, that honest opinion may well be the Ford cars and a specific dealership as well and I think it may be a good idea to give that opinion and leave it to them to make a decision. Encourage them to check out other brands as well so that the decision they arrive it will be their own. If you go beyond that and convince them to actually "buy" into your line of thought, you may end up like being a pseudo salesman for the car brand/dealership and sometimes these things can come between friendship and trust. Trust can take time to get built but can break quite easily.

In such situations what I do is to give my honest opinion, give the contact information for someone at the dealership (if I have someone I know) and leave it there for that person to follow up, make a decision. No expectations from the person who asked and from the dealership. Period.

If you do want to get some benefit, make that known to the person who is taking your advice and also be prepared to help them if they face trouble with their purchase like if they got a lemon, bad service experience, etc. (you will be morally obliged to do so since you got the benefit).

Last edited by NPV : 22nd March 2016 at 17:12.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:27   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV
If you go beyond that and convince them to actually "buy" into your line of thought, you may end up like being a pseudo salesman for the car brand/dealership and sometimes these things can come between friendship and trust. Trust can take time to get built but can break quite easily.
And this can happen so easily !

@Samaspire, It is easy to thrust our liking on another person. If the person doesnt like the car, then he would not take your push too kindly.

But it is also possible that the person may even buy the car. But each person's relationship with his car and the service people is different.

After the purchase, in case anything happens - it will come on you. If there is some breakdown, or even an instance where the new buyer behaves rough with the service person (and hence the service person doesnot respond well to the service issue), - even these things will come to you.

Last edited by condor : 22nd March 2016 at 17:28.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:17   #44
BHPian

Slightly OT, "Maruti AutoCard" has already solved this dilemma for existing MSIL vehicle owners.

A person having the Maruti AutoCard can earn points (1 Auto point = 1 INR):

- By Joining the AutoCard program (100 Auto Points)
- By Successfully referring a Maruti vehicle (1000 Auto Points)
- By Spending $$$ at authorized shops (3 Auto Points for INR 100 spend)
- By Exchanging an existing Maruti vehicle for another Maruti Vehicle (3000 Auto Points)

The points then can be redeemed for:

- Paying Maintenance / Repairs bills
- Purchasing MGP, MGA, Maruti Insurance
- Exchanging the existing Maruti car for a New one.

Source : http://marutibrands2.cloudapp.net/Ma...yaltycard.aspx

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 22nd March 2016 at 19:35.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2016, 20:16   #45
BHPian

I once went with a group of visiting South Koreans to a Pashmina shop here in Delhi where they spent more than Rs. 20k. The shopkeeper gave me his card and told me to come again with another group to get a commission and also asked for address to deliver something for my family. I of course don't do tourist guide stuff. Needless to say, I politely refused to give him my address. As it is, his conversation with me was in Hindi right in front of the guests and such situations make it super awkward for me.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks