Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How has your Cars24 experience been?
Positive 82 23.43%
Neutral 82 23.43%
Negative 186 53.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2021, 19:12   #331
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com

All the aggregators be it cars24 or cashmycar(now OLX autos) or gaadi.com are notorious. The used car business worked on simple math.

A- Car seller
B- Dealer or agent
C- Car Buyer

For a relatively well kept, B offered an amount of X to A. After purchasing the car, B would spend on minor repairs and it would be sold to C for X + 10-12% margin(including the cost of repairs). On the other hand, B would pitch the sale to C and get a 2+2% comission from both the parties.

Since these aggregators have entered the business. They are selling the same vehicle to B via online auctions by putting in fake bids and jacking up their margin. So essentially what was supposed to be X +10 % is now X + 20%. A gets the same price but B is paying more. As the news spreads, A demands more and the value of vehicles goes out of hand. At the end of the day, you see a lot of unsold cars which are apparently hot sellers.

Leaving aside the business model, the RTO related complications are never ending. If you car is involved in a mishap, no amount of paper work or mails by any aggregator is going to save you from legal hassles. It's a grey area being exploited by these aggregators.

It's best to find an individual buyer and sell the vehicle to them and get the RTO transfer done. For a quick sale, reach out to a used car dealer and decide the terms of handing over papers accordingly. These aggregators are also helping a lot of used car dealers with their unsold inventory. This unsold inventory consisted basically of flood affected & accidental cars which are being resold to gullible buyers under the "Certified" label.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 22:42   #332
BHPian

Really had a very bad experience in Medavakkam branch of Cars24 in Chennai.

The executive just quoted a random number out of thin air without even doing an evaluation/assessment.

He was not even ready to have a look at the vehicle and then do an assessment. This is very contradicting to how they advertise their service and is misleading.

Would recommend everyone not to approach the Medavakkam branch of Cars24 in Chennai as these guys leave in Utopia and not in Earth.
searacer932 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 10:24   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
At the end of the day, you see a lot of unsold cars which are apparently hot sellers.
Perfect observation. I have personally observed this since last 6 months as I have been looking for a used car and prices are all jacked up for hot favorites. As a result, cars stay with dealers for months and they keep on republishing the same cars everyday with different dealers (dealers move inventory among themselves and have some 2-5% cut).

BTW, on hot selling (or rather famous) models, the margins are not 10% or nearby. They are upto 25% at-times. Speaking from personal experience of selling my car.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 18:17   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
He was not even ready to have a look at the vehicle and then do an assessment. This is very contradicting to how they advertise their service and is misleading.

Would recommend everyone not to approach the Medavakkam branch of Cars24 in Chennai as these guys leave in Utopia and not in Earth.
Another branch of cars 24 said it would be an hour before an inspector became free, and then opened orange book value, selected the “poor condition” option for a 2015 s10 scorpio, and said “I will give you this right now”

Crooks. Even worse crooks than the average park and sell dealer who comes and says “he needs a couple of weeks to decide whether to register it in his name or his wife’s name”.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 19:06   #335
BHPian

When i was planning to sell my Honda Brio 2012 MT couple of months back , i got it evaluated on almost all used car platforms in Pune.

Cars24 - Really quick to respond. Inspection was done in ~40min , price was offered within 2 hours over a phone call. Amount offered was neither attracive nor poor.
Spinny - For some reason , i was having a hard time arranging a home visit in Pune. After almost 7-8 attempts and 2 weeks later they finally assigned the inspector, he came and evaluated the car, quoted price was below expectation and lower than cars24.
Turn around time was same as inspection day. Price offer was updated on website in the appointments section.
OLX Autos - Quick to respond , Inspection was done on the requested day. Price was offered on the same day and was lower than expected (also lower than Cars24)
Ola Cars - Quick to respond and arrange inspection , did not receive any call/offer on that day and next day.
CarDekho: Did not show up in time even after booking an appointment.
Mahindra First Choice: Didn't care to respond.

Finally after pitching Cars24 againt OLX Autos , i confirmed the deal with OLX Autos for a decent amount.
I was paid in full on the same day evening even though the car pick-up was scheduled on next morning !

Inspectors of Cars24,Ola,Spinny,OLX were all super professional, efficient and polite, no complaints there at all.

P.S : Got a call from Ola 2 days after the car was handed over and they offered a decent 20k more than what i got from Olx autos
AjinkyaP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 19:33   #336
BHPian

Had taken my Xcent in 2019 (my car was then 3 years old) to Cars24 in T.Nagar.

The executive there test-drove the vehicle and inspected all aspects of the car and told that the car would fetch around 5.5L+ and that he would put the car in their portal and let me know.

After some half an hour of uploading the car-details in the portal, the same guy came back and said that the valuation is done and the final price was 3.25L

I just walked out of their place without any further discussion.

Unhappy with their service.

Cheers!
callvvijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 19:42   #337
Senior - BHPian

Friend of mine who had a WB reg car in another state sold it to cars 24 with the understanding that they would take care of all remaining formalities. Then after the sale happened they sold the car to some WB dealer and they changed their stance saying he had to visit the WB RTO in person to complete the ownership transfer and he had to get last minute flight tickets and go to WB just for this.
greenhorn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 14:45   #338
BHPian

The selling part is smooth and they give you approximately close to what they quote. The issue is the follow up and the grey area about the responsibility of the car, after it has been sold but not transferred yet.

In my case i sold them my car on Oct'21 and after repeated calls they were not able to confirm if they are able to give me a definate date by when it would be sold.

In first week of Jan'22, i just went to parivahan site and pulled out the details of my RC and saw that the RC has been transferred to someone.

The Cars24 app still showed me "RC transfer pending" status, as it was since the day i sold it to them. Called the support no. and they didn't have a clue if the car was sold or not and they were trying to convince me that the car is still with the dealer.

When i told them that I have the RC details of the car with the new buyer, then they told me "sir it will take some time for our system to update this information". What a bunch of idiots they have in their support department. I'm still not sure if the insurance has been transferred. Guess the process for Cars24 after selling is simple "let customers find out on their own".

I would say if you want peace of mind, please sell it through some portal (ola etc.) or to a known friends, relative, mechanic etc.
sixthsense is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 23:16   #339
BHPian

Had a smooth experience selling to cars24 last week. Got a decent quote for my 2013 Diesel grand i10 which was just about in my acceptable band. All in all, it was done with in a few hours and cash received in my account. Have to wait and see how long the sale and transfer to new owner takes.
Old 31st January 2022, 15:29   #340
BHPian

I sold my 2009 model Innova 2.5V to cars24. Whole process was very smooth.

Likes.

1. They were very proactive. From the moment I put an enquiry on the site, their team was behind me!

2. Car inspection was completed in 40 minutes. In the whole process and later too, there was no negative comments about the car. Infact, they were admiring how good a car this was in spite of the age which is 12 years,

3. Money credited in my account within 30 minutes from car delivery (as promised)

Dislike

After the initial auction, they came out with an amount which slightly below my expectations. Tried negotiating & and they raised the price 5k. By then I also received an SMS mentioning a better price for my car (5k more than what they offered finally). I have agreed to the offer over phone (I was driving) and when the paperwork came signing, the amount was 5k less than the SMS quote-when questioned, was giving all weird explanations. But did not make an issue as the deal was already closed, The mentioned amount might be their cushion for further negotiations which accidently got disclosed.

Overall happy with deal-it was hassle free. During this process, I visited the Mahindra showroom with the intention to book XUV700. They were interested in my Innova too and offered 10K more than Cars24. But walked away as I dropped the idea of XUV and deal was almost clossed with Cars24.
Attached Thumbnails
Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com-innova.jpeg  

Old 22nd February 2022, 12:42   #341
BHPian

I had a pretty bitter experience with cars24. I approached them to sell my PoloGT. Initially, they low balled me so I told them I'm not interested in selling to them. Then they kept pestering me for 5 days about how good their offer is and how they take care of RC transfer, etc. I kept saying no and even blocked their number.

Then someone from corporate called me up and said they're willing to redo an auction and came back with ~30k more than their initial offer which seemed low to me, but still within acceptable margin. So I gave them the go ahead and they did a so-called re-inspection and documentation. Now only car pickup and money transfer from them was pending. I was told their driver will come pickup the car on a Wednesday. They shared this offer via email with the agreed amount.

Nobody came till Friday. Then they called me and said their dealer was unable to transfer the 10% required amount to block my car because "the dealer representative just got married and no one else in the dealership is able to transfer 10%". What a bunch of BS!

Next, I get SMSes from them saying they're willing to buy my car at even lower than initially quoted price. Then again someone else from their corporate office calls me claiming why their offer is so good and I would be damned if I didnt sell my car to them.

In my experience I think the people I dealt with were nothing short of crooks. I would not deal with the company in future and would also discourage people in my circle to sell to them.

Oh and btw they claim that liability is waived once you deliver the car to their driver. In reality, they only offer "lawyer" services to the owner of the car (seller) till RC transfer is done. So liability still rests with the original owner, it is not taken over by the company. Anyone claiming to do so is lying.
pratika is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 07:10   #342

I sold my Wagon-R to CARS 24 in July 2020 in scrap as the RC had already expired (over 15 years with Delhi registration). CARS24 promised to get the car scrapped and provide me with scrap letter and chassis plate within 60 days. Its been over 18 months and the car has still not been scrapped.

For the first 6-7 months, even after sevaral follow ups, the customer care kept on saying that the car is with channel partner and will get scrapped soon.

It was only after I was able to get in touch with a senior executive on the phone and also mailed the CEO, that they actually started to investigate the issue. Apparently, the channel partner they sold it to (based in Bhatinda, Punjab) was not scrapping the car or responding to their calls.

Again, several months of follow ups started, and after almost a year of selling the car, CARS24 gave me a complaint number in Punjabi that they had apparently filed against their channel partner. They refused to provide the actual copy of the complaint or the contact details of their liason officer or of the concerned police official. And since then, there has been no update on the complaint.

Can anyone please advice what can I do to safeguard myself in this case? Should I file an online complaint with the district/state Customer Court or a police complaint at the local police station in Delhi? Or can the RTO be of any help in this case?
Abhiyaantrik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 18:55   #343

My experience with Cars24 has been positive.

I had to sell my 12 year old KA registered car. But since I had relocated to Kerala, I was a bit reluctant to drive down to BLR to sell the car.

Overall process of Cars24 seems to be smooth and straightforward. The do the inspection and give a detailed pdf report. In my case the inspection happened in Kerala and they posted the car for auction for KA dealers. I received a quote within 2-3 hours and it was a fair price (at least close to what True value quoted without inspecting the car).

They transferred the money next day and took the car and RC. Provided some documents certifying that they received the car from me etc. (not sure how good those are if there are any legal issues later).

Anyway in my case, the RC transfer happened ~3 months later without any follow-ups from my side. So overall very smooth experience.
dsreek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 12:36   #344
BHPian

So had to sell wife's 2013 Vento Highline AT, 92,000 kms, 1st Owner. Fixed up home inspection over the weekend from OLX, Cars24 & Spinny. Here's how it went:-

1) Got messages and calls to reconfirm the timing from all three;

2) The surveyor's from all 3 were on time and took almost the same time going through the car, which was about 45 mins to an hour;

3) Both OLX & Cars 24 guys took a short test drives of 1 kms while the Spinny chap took a extended drive of around 5 kms;

4) While the OLX & Cars 24 guys took a shorter drive, they knew what they were supposed to check. Spinny's guy went a little overboard a few times and I told him to drive it properly, its my car in the end not a test drive mule.

Was promised a revert from all three within 2-3 hours of completion of inspection and they all reverted within the promised time. Here's how each call went:

1) OLX: Sir we can see from the inspection report that the car is in good condition. There are few small issues, but nothing unexpected and major, the car seems to have been maintained well. We ran a bidding on your car and the best price we have been able to get is Rs (A)

2) Cars 24: Now these guys had a long list prepared as to what was wrong with my car , it was like a MIL bitching about her DIL to her relatives . Anyways like a 80's salesman he announced how even after all the issues (which were not there, trust me) my car has managed to receive a excellent price, lets say B for the moment.

3) Spinny's: The lady was courteous and kept the discussion short. Sir, you cars well maintained, there is a small xyz issue but overall its good. We can offer you a best price of Rs C.

So now comes the main thing and what I always suspected will come true i.e Cars 24 offering the lowest price of all three. Here's how they stood.

a) Price Offered by Cars 24 : Rs X
b) Price Offered by Spinny's : Rs X + Rs 50,000/-
c) Price Offered by OLX : Rs X + Rs 100,000/-

Yes sir, you read it correct . Anyways, quickly confirmed the deal to OLX, sent the asked documents across, the guys were at my home at the agreed time, inspected the car quickly for one last time, gave a go ahead and we had the money in account within 20 mins. Documentation done, handover letter taken, car handed over, bye bye baby.

Took me one whole day in getting all visits and process completed, but it was worth it. Thank you OLX. Cya
Joyb is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 17:28   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
Fixed up home inspection over the weekend from OLX, Cars24 & Spinny. Here's how it went:-
I did pretty much the same a few days back. 2007 Civic was soon to be 15 years and showing its age. Called OLX and Cars24.

The exact same description that you mentioned, took place. 45 mins to an hour to evaluate the car and then feedback provided 2 hours later.

I have a few more things to add on in my experience. It so happened that Cars24 gentleman stopped by earlier than the appointment time. His visit coincided with the gentleman from OLX who was about to wrap up in another 20 mins.

They knew each other well as they had worked together previously. They got busy chatting whilst evaluating the car and it was nice to see them working together. They were both present on each others test drives as well.

Now comes the calls from their helpline on the offer:

OLX Auto
Your car has a timing belt issue, quarter glass was replaced, this beading was changed, rats have bitten your car wires,..... and this point I could not take it anymore and asked the gentleman - Sir, how do you think all the electrical functions and switches on a 15 year old car work? By magic? What are you even saying. He proceeded to try and cover up for his pointlessly toxic evaluation of my car that was serviced and cared for only by Honda in all its almost 15 years lifespan. Price offered was X.

Cars24
Your car despite being old is in great shape and we found only normal wear and tear things that need to be attended to. I said I agree. Price offered was more or less X as well. Then proceeds to tell me, I can run an auction and get you Y. But you need to commit that you will give me the car. I said I give you one hour. If you get Y, the car is yours. Sir give me 20 mins and I will get this price. Of course that call never came.

What a stark difference in feedback! I was just flabbergasted!

After waiting for about 2.5 hours, I fixed the sale with my usual car dealer who has bought most of my cars over the years. I go about my day.

After about 3.5 hours I get a call from Cars24. Sir we have got the price you are looking for. Please do........I said madam the car is sold now. To which I got a mouthful from her, almost threatening me as to how dare I do this. I sternly told her in that since they record conversations with customers, she can please go hear that. I also asked her not to do "dadagiri" with me and to speak without being so rude.

Lesson learnt - Support local business by default. Despite getting a price that was 10% lower with my usual dealer, that was the decision I took.

90% of business is the relationship. All the rest is just semantics.

Last edited by Newtown : 26th April 2022 at 17:31. Reason: Car year was 2007 and not 2017
Newtown is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks