Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: How has your Cars24 experience been?
Positive 80 22.99%
Neutral 82 23.56%
Negative 186 53.45%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2016, 19:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com

Another option worth trying could be putting free ads on portals like Quikr / OLX. I personally bought a 2011 model alto directly from the seller without involving middle man and the deal was pretty smooth.

Only hassle was to get the registration changed in my name
Ashdel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 20:58   #17
BHPian

Just wondering, how accurate is their online quote ?

I just tried getting a quote for a 15K kms run 2015 Punto Evo 1.3 Emo and got 5.3L and when I swapped it with a Swift ZDI with other variables remaining same it shows 9.23L. I know the On road price of a ZDI is only 9.1L without any discounts!

I know the Punto wont get anything close to what the Swift does, but a quote more than the On Road price from the costliest city in India ?

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2016 at 12:00. Reason: Typo
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 21:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
@kiloalpha - did cars24 share details of the buyer? Asking as i would personally be interested in knowing who finally picks up my vehicle.
Regards
Ronald
No, Cars24.com does not share details of the buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
I would say that was a hassle free experience. Just curious, had you sold your car directly to a customer would you have fetched 2.4 -2.5 lac? What I know is the dealers buy the cars for at least 30 to 40 k less depending on the car. Does the bluebook give different prices for the sale to customer and the dealer? No doubt, there is a lot of hassle.
Probably, it would have fetched 2.4-2.5 lakhs. However, unless it was a sale through contacts, a private sale is never hassle-free. You need to do all the hard work of selling, dealing with weirdos, phone calls, registration transfer.
Indian Blue Book does give you different prices for sale to dealer and private sale.
KiloAlpha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 21:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ok, out of curiosity I just took an online quote of my Chevrolet Beat D LT variant (Sep 2011, 45k on ODO) and they quoted 1.63L, Mummy !!

Either I was too optimistic about my car or they have some issues. I was expecting at least 2 L as that is what Maruti True value told me (He had a look at the car's condition though)
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 22:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Recently, I sold my old Ford Figo 1.2 Titanium (petrol), 2010 model, to cars24.com. Here is how it went.
I believe that you have sold the car for far lesser amount! Let me explain..
I owned 2010 Ford Figo Titanium Petrol fitted with Fog lamps, primarily driven by my daughter. After 5 years of trouble free service and happy commuting -we decided to change the car. Following are the steps I took before selling:
1. Read the TBHP Article on how to sell used car. (Must read for all prospective sellers)
2. Serviced the car at Metro-Ford for all immediate concerns / issues, fortunately which were not many. Get the insurance up to date. Clear out any RTO issues/fines
3. Asked the Service Advisor to get it evaluated at Ford. He advised me not to sell there as I would be getting a ridiculous buy back price - around 2L
4. Took the car to a near-by Private second car sales showroom. After inspection, guy quoted me 2.65L
5. Took several pictures of my car in broad day light with clean interiors. Filed all the documentation in a file folder with separators.
6. Posted ad's in several portals like Quickr, carwale, olx etc..
7. Got several time-waster's, high bargainers and serious buyers as well. Selected and met only those serious buyers.
8. Buyer's capacity to buy and inclination can be guessed within 5 to 10 mins of meeting. Allowed test drive only when I was sure and comfortable with the fact that he is a genuine buyer.
9. Negotiate and negotiate. Sometimes, it makes sense to given a bit for a sensible buyer.
10. Make sure that payments are realized before you sign all the transfer papers and retain a set of papers.
11. Track the ownership transfer in the RTO website.

Well - happy to state that my car was sold for 3.15L from a starting base price of 4L.

Last edited by ampere : 28th April 2016 at 08:20. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post.
cerk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 23:50   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Just wondering, how accurate is their online quote ?
Not very accurate in my mind. When I was trying to sell my 7 year old Indica Vista, the original quote provided to me was a good 50K above market value (based on what the dealers and individuals were quoting me at that time) This quote came with the standard disclaimer that its an initial quote and that it will be revised based on the condition of the vehicle etc.

I was thrilled and booked an appointment with them pronto. After the formal examination of the car, they started their "auction" process. The final quote provided was 40K lesser than the market value While I knew that the original quote was too good to be true, I did not expect such a drop either.

I asked them why is there such a big difference. The sales consultant claimed that the quote is produced based on an automated algorithm that searches sites like OLX, Quikr and gets the highest price being quoted on such sites for a similar vehicle. So apparently their initial "valuation" is based on sellers' expectation rather than on actual transactions. Remember sub-prime crisis anyone?

Anyway, I decided to not sell to them as they whole experience felt like "bait & switch" to me.
cs.giri is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 01:15   #22
BHPian

I took my car here to cars24 office in Hyderabad about a month back. Well, I actually had no intention of selling the car, but just went there to get a quote to check the worth of a Delhi registered vehicle in Hyderabad as well as to find out how easy or difficult its going to be.

They have a small, semi furnished office, with that 'just moved in' feel located on the third floor of a building on the main Kondapur road leading to Radisson Blue hotel. I went there with an appointment. This representative came over, pleasant greetings exchanged and then he asked me the make and model of vehicle. When I stated the name 'Grand Vitara', he nearly fell off his chair. Anyway, it took about 2 hours to complete the procedure, pictures, test drive etc. I had taken a copy of Insurance certificate and RC with me, so the initial paperwork was done really quick.

At this point, the representative seemed confident that he could get me a buyer from Delhi, over online auctions, and the buyer will then take the hassles of returning my vehicle to Delhi. There was no other way of finding out the true value of the car other than their online auction. I thanked him politely for his time and ended this matter there.

Overall, a nice concept and nice experience. For those who wish to sell their vehicle, I believe this is a good value proposition.
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 10:01   #23
BHPian

I too actually sold my 2008 Swift recently and the overall experience I must say was very good.

I had a Bangalore registered Swift Vxi which I bought in Feb 2008. I ended up moving to Gurgaon in 2010 and had been using the car here as well. After about 8 year and close to 90K KMs on the ODO I finally made up my mind to upgrade my car. I was interested in the GT Tsi (Which I ended up buying) .

When I had my Swift evaluated at Volkswagen Gurgaon, they gave me a quote of 1.6L . I knew if somehow sent it to Bangalore I might get a higher price (~2.2L) hence I decided not go ahead with Volkswagen.

Before going to Cars24 I had my car evaluated by Maruti True Value, Ford (While Checking out the Ecosport) and Mahindra First Choice and received absurd offers ranging from 1L to 1.3L. Finally made up mind to send my car to Bangalore and spoke to Sagar Auto, the dealer I got my car from. The representative took my car details and after checking my service history he gave an approx quote of 2.3L which would reduce if I had scratches etc on my car, though I would have to take up the responsibility of sending the car to Bangalore.

Before making the final call I decided to visit a Cars24 near Cyber City in Gurgaon as it was close by. They checked my car for about 20 mins and drove it a little. I left the place while they had an e-auction. 15 mins later they quoted 2L and I asked for 2.10L and finalized it.
Next day I gave them the car and they transferred 1.9L through IMPS and held back 20k since I did not have the loan hypothecation removed from my RC and neither did I have an NOC at the time. Next day I submitted the NOC and they transferred the pending 20K within 15 mins. Overall very smooth experience and saved me the hassle of sending my car back to Bangalore. The representative also told me that he will also share the details of the new owner once the car is sold, which as per him was typically within 45-60 days.
karan85 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 10:11   #24
BHPian

I had a very nice experience dealing with Cars24 when I wanted to sell my Ford Ikon. Infact, they gave me final price in 30 minutes sharp which was almost same as most places I had got it evaluated.

Maruti Dealer where I was to purchase my new car, also quoted the same price as Cars24. But Maruti dealer sweetened the deal with 'Exchange Bonus' of 20k. That was the deal breaker. I called back Cars24(He had given me 4 days time to get back) quoting what maruti dealer had quoted, but he said he cannot match that price.

I feel if one is selling old and buying a new car, Cars24 sometimes may turn out to be lower price than the dealer due to the exchange bonus component offered by your new car dealer.
GetLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 10:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Recently, I sold my old Ford Figo 1.2 Titanium (petrol), 2010 model, to cars24.com.
I was willing to sell my Civic to Cars24 here in Gurgaon past month. I liked the process overall, however they came up with really low valuation of my car, which made me go sour with these guys. I clearly knew they were undervaluing the car and politely refused to accept their quote. They did follow up with me for 10 days, and increased their first offered price by INR 10k. I was offered 25k on top of that price by another local car dealer and I decided to give my car to him since I had already bought my next car and was not willing to keep two cars to myself for long (still knowing that OLX/Quickr would have fetched by better prices in an individual sale). Guess what I am trying to say is, go with Cars24.com if you are too desperate to sell. Other means will get you a better deal, albeit at the cost of some additional time.

However, to some, the situation is how GTO puts it, Time is Money! and sale convenience may be worth a couple grands here and there.
Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 10:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Having read the posts, I understand that if I had invested some more time from my end, I would surely have got a better price for my car. I also realise I haven't mentioned why I decided to go with Cars24.com, so here goes.

The first generation Figo Petrol was not a hot seller - unloved by the mass market. Although quite a few enthusiasts here would disagree with that sentiment, including me. So, I knew up front that getting the right buyer at the right price would take some doing. My personal and work situation at this point in time did not allow me that time. I am not saying time is money, but in my case, time right now is a precious commodity which, if wasted, would sour the atmosphere at home and in the office.

I had to have the fastest possible sale at a reasonable price. I paid 5.5 lakhs on road in 2010 for this car, and expected that it would have shed about 50% of its value in 6 years. 2.2-2.3 lakhs is what I could reasonably expect (some hard work and time invested could get me more, I guess). Plus I
was selling it at almost the exact 6-year mark, meaning service was due in about 3K kms, and insurance was about to expire.

The way I see it, I paid 10-15K for sheer convenience on top of my expected price.
KiloAlpha is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 10:48   #27
BHPian

Not everyone seems to have a good experience with cars24.com. There are a lot of negative reviews on FB as well. And from a personal point of view, I didn't have a good interacting with them either.

I tried selling my 2 year / 40K old Toyota Liva through them and it was horrible experience. I had got an estimate of around 4.4Lacs online. Upon booking an appointment and getting the car evaluated they first gave me a quote of 3.15lacs. I said that I am getting a price of 3.8Lacs from Skoda dealer from whom I have booked my new car and walked out of their showroom thinking what a waste of time it was to visit them. They called back later in the day saying that they have a revised offer of 3.65Lacs. I politely told them not to waste my time. They even had a claim, that in case they fail to offer a price higher than any other dealer cars24 would give a gift cheque / voucher of INR 5,000. When I said to them that I am selling my car at 3.8Lacs and claimed by voucher, they brushed off saying that I have to actually sell it to a used car dealer and not under exchange.
MadAbtCars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 12:11   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Looks like this is a popular business model. Source & full article:

Quote:
Rajesh Singh, former head of sales and marketing at General Motors has joined the startup race with 'DriveO', a consumer to business (C2B) e-commerce platform for used cars.

DriveO, instead of going C2C, has gone C2B, where it will acquire cars from the individual car owners and sell them off to offline used-car dealers through bidding.
For the sake of comparison, I took a quote from their website for an '07 Honda Civic (which I sold 6 months back). They're quoting 2.3 lakhs - not far off from the 2.5 I got last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_123 View Post
Thanks for the post - I was contemplating selling my Ertiga through them as am relocating abroad. Will book appointment with the HSR center and see how it goes.
Please also share your experience with them. Will help others .

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
Next day I gave them the car and they transferred 1.9L through IMPS and held back 20k since I did not have the loan hypothecation removed from my RC and neither did I have an NOC at the time. Next day I submitted the NOC and they transferred the pending 20K within 15 mins.
I like the fact that their payments are prompt and it's done officially (not via unaccounted cash). This is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I was willing to sell my Civic to Cars24 here in Gurgaon past month. I liked the process overall, however they came up with really low valuation of my car, which made me go sour with these guys.
For a slow-moving car like the Civic, you really can't blame them. Anyone investing in a used Civic is gambling.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 12:20   #29
BHPian

I had a very bad experience with cars24.com. About 6 months back I took my 2008 WagonR LXi to one of the cars24 outlet. They did all the verification of documents and checked the condition of car thoroughly. They told me their business model and I decided to wait for the bidding to happen. After about 20 mins they came to me and old me that the highest bid is INR 70k. I told them that it is very less and I am not interested in selling my car to them. They told me that they would give me INR 3k voucher if I shoed them the proof that I sold my car for more than the highest bid.

I sold my car for INR 85k and sent a pic of the proof to the guy who claimed the INR 3k voucher. After a lot of follow up with them the guy stopped picking up the phone and the outlet completely denied checking up my car. Upon giving them details of my visit they did agree that I visited but never gave me the voucher. I would not recommend cars24 to anyone.
ricky_1605 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 14:09   #30
BHPian

What I am wondering about right now is what are these guys at cars24.com doing with the cars. Which site are they selling through? They seem to be quoting rock bottom prices for used cars. I would really be interested in knowing how to buy these used cars....

Most Viewed