Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

View Poll Results: How has your Cars24 experience been?
Positive 80 22.99%
Neutral 82 23.56%
Negative 186 53.45%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2016, 14:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Experience: Selling my car to Cars24.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
I sold my car for INR 85k and sent a pic of the proof to the guy who claimed the INR 3k voucher. After a lot of follow up with them the guy stopped picking up the phone and the outlet completely denied checking up my car. Upon giving them details of my visit they did agree that I visited but never gave me the voucher. I would not recommend cars24 to anyone.
May be the voucher thing is just a bluff to make you believe that this is the best price you will get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
What I am wondering about right now is what are these guys at cars24.com doing with the cars. Which site are they selling through? They seem to be quoting rock bottom prices for used cars. I would really be interested in knowing how to buy these used cars....
Come to think of it, the prices are not low for them. The give good rates for fast selling cars and not so good to bad rates for slow seller like petrol Fiesta as they themselves aren't sure when will the car be sold. They have to keep in mind the finance cost as well as maintenance, parking etc. cost for the time the car remains with the dealer.
I also heard that the low bidders are kept down in priority list of the auctioneers. This way the bidders who generally quote higher prices are given preference. I can not confirm it though.
Old 28th April 2016, 14:58   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
May be the voucher thing is just a bluff to make you believe that this is the best price you will get.

Come to think of it, the prices are not low for them. The give good rates for fast selling cars and not so good to bad rates for slow seller like petrol Fiesta as they themselves aren't sure when will the car be sold. They have to keep in mind the finance cost as well as maintenance, parking etc. cost for the time the car remains with the dealer.
I also heard that the low bidders are kept down in priority list of the auctioneers. This way the bidders who generally quote higher prices are given preference. I can not confirm it though.
But where are they auctioning at?
Old 28th April 2016, 15:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
But where are they auctioning at?
They have registered used car dealers at their portal. These dealers pay subscription fee for invitation to bid.
Old 28th April 2016, 17:14   #34
BHPian

While at the end of the day one would surely get a price lesser than what could have been fetched by selling personally or by not making an urgent sale, but as we see that the process is quite systematic & smooth, I would consider Cars24 in cases where:

- One is short on time to get an idea on the market value of the car, go post an ad on majority of the cluttered websites & then wait for the right buyer. This could be for someone moving out of a city or India or in cases where the car is being used by the elderly and they shouldn't be going through such a cumbersome process.

- For market dud cars. For example a FIAT Linea or a Skoda Fabia. Cars24 are considering & closing deals in the same manner, be it any car. For such cars, even dealers are reluctant to buy right away. And the opportunity of a hassle-free flash sale in such cases is definitely a boon when one knows that the moolah coming in return isn't going to be that great anyways.

And utilizing technology to organize this messed up pre-owned segment to offer certain levels of convenience and transparency to the end customer is definitely a thing in the right direction.

A good start-up initiative yet again, but let's see how far it goes & that would largely depend upon how they maintain the levels of service & in the coming future.
Old 28th April 2016, 18:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

My experience of trying to sell my Vento Highline was pretty bad. The price quoted on the portal based on model, YOM, YOR, mileage etc. was way lower than any average Joe would offer. The difference was a 6 figure difference.

When they asked to see the car - I asked what price would it be based on what the condition that I described. He gave me a price 50k more than their website. I immediately lost all interest.

The guy on the phone was also overly friendly & pushing to see the car. The attitude was - "dude you want to see the money today ? We are the only ones that will do that"

So I told him I will see if I am interested to sell thru you.

Great as a concept. But I dare say you loose atleast 50k in the process.

I finally sold it thru OLX to an appreciating buyer - at the price I thought was reasonable.

Another -ve of showing them the car is - that the details are circulated to ALL the dealers in Delhi NCR. So anyone & everyone in the used car business will "know" you are a seller. Best trick in the book to beat down the price.
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 22:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs.giri View Post
Not very accurate in my mind.

....The final qu...

.....ehicle. So apparently their initial "valuation" is based on sellers' expectation rather than on actual transactions. Remember sub-prime crisis anyone?

Anyway, I decided to not sell to them as they whole experience felt like "bait & switch" to me.

Thanks Giri, that explains! Checked Olx and Quikr dint find any new Puntos and most on sale were under 5.5Lacs. That explains the quote for the Punto. I am still shocked at the 9.3L + quote for the Swift!

What made this bad for me was, this happened when I was in middle of a argument of cyclonic proportions about these 2 cars. We both bought our cars the same month, he got a Swift ZDI and me an EVO Emotion 1.3. And he was harping about how the resale value will help him make fortunes, Maruti this, Maruti that, etc. etc.. and this result comes up, talk about timing!!

Last edited by Eddy : 28th April 2016 at 22:51. Reason: Rule 11
Old 28th April 2016, 23:53   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
I would consider Cars24 in cases where:

- One is short on time to get an idea on the market value of the car, go post...
In addition to these, I see the value that these guys offer when selling cars registered in a different state. My friend was trying to sell his Delhi registered car in Bangalore and he was having a very difficult time of it. There were very few offers to begin with and even those who were making an offer were quoting below the market value, as they had to re-register and pay road tax again.
cs.giri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 09:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
If that is the case then they are doing business for short term gains. May be just to increase the GMV and valuation of the company. Let's see how long they sustain in this market, I hope they don't.
Old 1st May 2016, 20:06   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Friends,

I would like to share my todays experience at Bangalore - Yehlanka Branch.

After seeing the initial positive threads here i also visited there website on 28/04/2016 filled the data and got online quote.Price quoted online was best of the best in market which one can't refuse (trick worked).I applied for an appointment on 01/05/16 at 10am and got all formalities done in 60 min at there office.After 120 minutes they called and offered me a price which is 30% less than the market price and 55% less than their previous online quote for which i politely refused.

They collect get our car details and float online with all used car dealers across there board who are termed as there channel partners.Who ever bids high will get the deal, if the owner is willing to sell.Identity of the seller said to be hidden.

Feels this model is an additional link where we loose further from our share.

Last edited by Rajith : 1st May 2016 at 20:07.
Old 15th June 2016, 20:05   #40
BHPian

I also logged on their web site and checked the price of my car. The deal looks quite sweet. I have taken an appointment for Saturday afternoon to check out the process and see what they are gonna quote.

After tracking them for sometime, I think their business model is like this
1. We carry the Original RC, they take a photo of RC & Car and circulate it via whatsapp.
2. Bidder bids for the car
3. Whoever is the highest bidder, the cost - (their hidden margin) is what is quoted to the customer
4. Customer confirms the deal
5. They confirm the bidder and the bidder transfers the cash via IMPS / RTGS
6. Cars24 get their confirmation and then they do the transfer to the customer's account.

I also did some digging on their website and found the following dealers who are registered with Cars24. Their website has the mobile numbers of all of them.

Auto Link - Indiranagar
Bimal - Mahadevapura
Car Bhandar Inc - Jayanagar
DM Car World - Jayanagar
Fourty Nine Group: - Bangalore GPO
Gem Cars Auto Consultant: JC Nagar
Kalpataru: - Bangalore GPO
Shivani Agencies - RT Nagar

Will update post my meet with them.
Old 15th June 2016, 22:23   #41
BHPian

@darkbull Good luck on your quest! But let me remind you that the price on the website might be much on the higher side as experienced by other members on this thread.
I had a similar experience with my Ertiga where I had a website quote of 7.39L and when I went with my car the best I could get was 6.2L! (I had previously a dealer price of 6.8L and I have sold it at 7.2L).
They kept me waiting for close to 2.5 hrs and when I heard their price just said goodbye and left.
Staff are courteous and their checks are thorough.
Before you finalise on their quote be aware of what others quote for your car.
harishhm74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 12:00   #42
BHPian

I went yesterday to Bangalore Domlur Branch. And my personal experience was BAD. It may be personal, as I felt it was a complete waste of time. This is what happened

1. When filled online they showed a indicative price which was very good.
2. They were polite and professional when I reached their office.
3. They took test drive, detailed checking and etc -- learned new tricks if I have to do inspection myself for a second hand someday.
4. The price quoted was too low. In fact I had BLIND offers better than that from local dealers after posting in OLX/Carwale/etc ...
5. They called which I refused even without thinking. There is a personal limit which everyone has and for me they just crossed it with high promise and low delivery.

Instead would suggest them to quote more close to market/dealer price and give better offer at the final. It is like you reached your destination 5 minutes earlier like our Indigo. So you have a feel good factor which will spread the word.

There are some new portals like spinny whom I think is better for both seller and buyer even though I have not sold my car through them.

At the end I think direct sell gives best price for seller & buyer but the process is far from perfect.
Old 8th August 2016, 10:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Sorry if this is a question from an ignorant reader. Does cars24.com give you documentary proof that the car has been re-registered in the new buyers name? That is the one closing loop I have always struggled with when selling my used cars. Some buyers simply don't co-operate out of poor attitude. Thank you for sharing this experience. Would be worth a try. Thanks - Narayan
OK, finally @V.Narayan, after several months, I get to answer your question.

I got an email today from cars24.com, with a photo of the new RC Card, showing that the car has been transferred to the new owner.
KiloAlpha is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2016, 13:32   #44
BHPian

Two of my friends sold their Civic & Aveo through them and were hapy with the price they got. Keeping the same in mind I approached them to get my XUV evaluated.

The offer which they gave left me disappointed. Decided to put in some effort and posted my car on OLX, CarWale and Quicker. Got most responses from OLX, some just hell bent on wasting your time and some pretty serious gentleman who valued and respected a well maintained vehicle.

Finally, within 4 days managed to close transaction with a reasonable buyer, at a price which was 1.10 lacs higher than Cars 24 offer. So will recommend all interested in selling their vehicle to put in a little effort and explore OLX and other sites.
Old 8th August 2016, 14:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
The offer which they gave left me disappointed. Decided to put in some effort and posted my car on OLX, CarWale and Quicker. Got most responses from OLX, with a reasonable buyer, at a price which was higher than Cars 24 offer. So will recommend all interested in selling their vehicle to put in a little effort and explore OLX and other sites.
Completely agree. I sold my Hyundai Accent at much better offer on OLX than what Car24 evaluated it at.
Sore point was that they called me thrice to their outlets, as their tel-rep was not ready to accept that I could be given a bad offer.
She had honey-laced voice is another story altogether.

Regards-Sonu

Most Viewed