Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2016, 17:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore: Lathangi Ford crashes customer EcoSport; 1.6 Lakhs of damage. UPDATE: Resolved by For

Felt sorry for the owner. Although the issue has been resolved but look at the heights the customer has to go to get a acceptable solution. A good gesture after so much of torture. This might not be the first case, many of such cases never come-up as not everyone knows the power of Social media/Internet and god knows what solution do these companies provide to them. It's time we need a CONSUMER PROTECTION LAW.

I am now glad that I advised not to go for Ecosport to a some relatives due to service issues.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 17:55   #47
BHPian

Re: Bangalore: Lathangi Ford crashes customer EcoSport; 1.6 Lakhs of damage. UPDATE: Resolved by For

I had a similar incident with my B-class, wherein the dealer here in Chennai -Transcars damaged my car's left rear door when they took it for a road test after routine service. They replaced the door within 3 weeks as they had to import the door, gave me a replacement E 250 for the 3 weeks and profusely apologised for their mistake. I think it's more to do with the dealer in most cases.
ninjax is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 18:17   #48
BHPian

Horrible experience as a Ford customer and lucky that the issue has been resolved now - but only after escalating to the highest level. This should have been handled and solved amicably at the dealership level itself, which would have saved customer's time and the harassment. I thought the MDs of the dealerships are trained to handle situations like this, alas this is not true in this case.

Also, what is the action they have taken against one Mr. Gandhi for harassing the customer being the lady and shouting on top of his voice to the troubled customer? No wonder people are queuing outside the dealerships of Marutis and Hyundais, even though Ford has better cars.

From two of my friends who own the new Figo, came to know that the service experience in Ford showrooms across Chennai is no better than Bangalore, and sometimes even worse !
Old 29th August 2016, 18:59   #49
BHPian

I had similar experiences trying to get my in-laws' Ikon serviced (and an issue of petrol fumes entering the cabin) addressed for two months, in May-June 2010. They drove it for 30 kms under the guise of a "test drive" to diagnose the problem, virtually emptied the fuel tank while returning the car and said the problem was fixed. Filled her up on the way home, and the fumes were right back. Had to write to the President's desk to get that problem resolved.
I own a Ford Figo Exi Petrol (Dec 2013). After the two free services, I went for the third to the service station at Navi Mumbai. They gave me an estimate of a hair's breath short of 10k. Took my keys back and didn't turn back ever to the dealer for service after that ever.
What is really sad is to see that nothing has improved on this front for Ford India, despite the passage of six years. The way I see it, its unfortunate that Ford India still builds better cars than relationships.
Old 29th August 2016, 19:16   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Way to go Ford.
I must say "way to go team-bhp".
docmoya2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 21:54   #51
BHPian

This is still a loss for the customer, whichever way you look at it.

If the accident wouldn't have happened, the customer would have had to shell out Rs. Zero towards cost of ownership.

Now, for no fault of hers, she's forced to shell out ~Rs. 2 lakhs for a new car - something that was not needed in the first place given that the vehicle was only 3 years old.

What if someone who has bought a car with his blood sweat hard earned money does not have the 2 lakhs to spare? Then what? He takes the 7 lakhs & settles for an inferior model?

Very unfair. Ford should have given her a brand new car equivalent to the one that she owned.

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 29th August 2016 at 21:56.
Old 29th August 2016, 22:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
This is still a loss for the customer, whichever way you look at it.

If the accident wouldn't have happened, the customer would have had to shell out Rs. Zero towards cost of ownership.

Now, for no fault of hers, she's forced to shell out ~Rs. 2 lakhs for a new car - something that was not needed in the first place given that the vehicle was only 3 years old.

Very unfair. Ford should have given her a brand new car equivalent to the one that she owned.
If you read through the options given to the customer, the customer had the option of getting it repaired under Ford's expense and then get a 2 year maintenance plan for free. Which is think cannot be called unfair, even for someone who has no spare cash.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 22:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
If you read through the options given to the customer, the customer had the option of getting it repaired under Ford's expense and then get a 2 year maintenance plan for free. Which is think cannot be called unfair, even for someone who has no spare cash.
Sure. My point being the customer will still get a repaired car.

Now we all know that any car that is 'repaired', especially one that is damaged so severely will never hold its resale value well.

Forget resale, who knows what teething problems will she face in the coming years.

All this, versus a perfect vehicle that the customer would have had otherwise.

I'm sure if this would have happened elsewhere (country), the customer would have received a brand spanking new vehicle almost immediately. Reason: presence of a strong pro-consumer legal system.

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 29th August 2016 at 22:18.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 06:40   #54
BHPian

As a person supporting consumer, I tweeted, commented on facebook and reshared it, whatsapped it on numerous groups with this link. Will never look at Ford. Will severely warn friends and family ever to not look at Ford.

What a PR! Thousands of money thrown at adds and nothing towards genuine customer care?

Sucks big time!
Old 30th August 2016, 07:14   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

I find Ford's service to have been incredibly good here. I don't see how the dealership can take liability for a crash during a free pick up and drop (or even a paid one). Most dealerships disclaim liability. Even if an accident is caused by someone else's fault, you normally solve it with your insurance - had happened to me twice.

So for Ford to offer to buyback the car at the pre crash market price or to repair it for free and provide two years of free service is in my view incredibly customer friendly, more than what anyone can reasonably ask for.

Well done Ford.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 11:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I find Ford's service to have been incredibly good here. I don't see how the dealership can take liability for a crash during a free pick up and drop (or even a paid one). Most dealerships disclaim liability. Even if an accident is caused by someone else's fault, you normally solve it with your insurance - had happened to me twice.

So for Ford to offer to buyback the car at the pre crash market price or to repair it for free and provide two years of free service is in my view incredibly customer friendly, more than what anyone can reasonably ask for.

Well done Ford.
+ 1

Most of the responses here had been just dealer and Ford bashing without understanding the facts.

If your company provides you a driver and if he crashes your car , can you ask the car to be replaced or serviced by your company?.

During test drives (not customer pickups), the vehicles are supposed to have a temporary number plate displayed and liability lies with the dealer.

In Chennai during the December floods many cars at the service stations were damaged and had to be repaired under insurance from the owner.

Another argument used was that the driver drove rashly and caused the accident. What would have happened if the driver had stopped at signal and got back ended by a heavy vehicle?

While Latangi Ford has not handled the case with finesse, they had offered to repair the car and bear the additional cost and Ford has gone out of the way to compensate the customer
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 13:59   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
+ 1

Most of the responses here had been just dealer and Ford bashing without understanding the facts.
I think we understood.
Quote:
If your company provides you a driver and if he crashes your car , can you ask the car to be replaced or serviced by your company?.
Why not?
Quote:
During test drives (not customer pickups), the vehicles are supposed to have a temporary number plate displayed and liability lies with the dealer.
How is it relevant?
Quote:
In Chennai during the December floods many cars at the service stations were damaged and had to be repaired under insurance from the owner.
I suppose they have some sort of no-responsibility get-out clause. But why wouldn't they have insurance?
Quote:
Another argument used was that the driver drove rashly and caused the accident. What would have happened if the driver had stopped at signal and got back ended by a heavy vehicle?
That didn't happen, so not relevant.
Quote:
While Latangi Ford has not handled the case with finesse, they had offered to repair the car and bear the additional cost and Ford has gone out of the way to compensate the customer
The customer had to go a lot more out of their way. That's the customer that paid for the car, paid for the service.

Don't know why anyone should want to make the dealer look blameless, but don't worry: we who read this thread know what to make of it --- and it doesn't look good for Ford or the dealer.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 12:06   #58
BHPian

The whole story is just sad, and a good example of dealerships attitude towards customer service, and also a measure of Fords commitment.
The issues I personally have after reading this.

A. Customer should have been informed ASAP after the accident.
I believe it took them a day or two to give a clear picture of what has happened, extent of damage and way forward. If dealership says it took them this long to figure THINGS out, then shame on them. I guess they were just buying time to access the damage and maybe fix the car even without telling the customer. Call me cynical if you like, but let’s not try to deny that the thought should have crossed their minds. Maybe they realized it was risky since the damage was too much for the fix to go unnoticed.

B. Good service would involve dealership reaching out to customer and keeping them posted on the progress and way forward, not the other way around.

C. Using legalities to cover their behind. Like the contract that allows them a free hand to do whatever they want with the car while on road and get away with it. What if the car was damaged during test run after service, I’m sure they wont think twice about using the contract to their best benefit and clam the damage was done during deliver run.

D. What about all the mental trauma and inconvenience caused during this whole time. There should be monitory compensation for that as well.

E. Other issues that I personally cannot ignore:
a. Ford/Dealership Ignoring emails and avoiding phone calls.
b. Rude behavior over phone
c. Take it or leave it attitude
d. Causing delays willfully as a means to mentally break customer into submission
e. Offering olive branch after you have caused enough grief so that the customer be manipulated into taking whatever you offer even though it’s not enough. I believe that’s what is happening here. Ford doing a hero style entry in the end to save the day. Hope we are not forgetting that Ford is the actual villain in this story.

F. What ford is offering here is nothing great, it’s the bare minimal that can be expected.
a. Repair the vehicle. Out of question. IMHO a repaired vehicle is not a factory built vehicle and will never be one. There is always that slight gap in the fitting, of that off colored paint job, or that small vibration etc. etc.
b. Buy back the car at 7 lakh. Are you kidding me! Not a good deal. It’s not about the current market value of the car it’s about how much it will cost to replace the car with a new car. Remember, the customer bought a new car and will again buy a new car and the new one costs more than what’s on offer.
c. Buy a new one from the same dealership and pay for the remaining amount. This one is a no brainer. Why will anyone take their business back to a thug after the thug tries to do what they do, and failed? This is the worst option there can be. “Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.”

What I would expect,

1. A complete refund of all the total amount that was paid at the time the car was purchased minus insurance + the interest.

2. Monitory compensation for mental trauma + taxi bills for the time the car was out of action.

I know I’m asking for too much, but that’s exactly what ford has done here. Cause a ton of trauma, and then get away by offering less than what you are entitled for just coz you don’t want to fight them anymore.

My final thoughts.

A. I have never bought a ford before, and now after this I will never buy one.

B. I never use the pickup/drop service (for the same fear) and I feel happy that I have always stuck to this practice. Drive my car for servicing, staying at service center all day and then driving back home in my car after servicing is done. I own a Vento HL TDi.

C. I will be posting the link to this on FB and other venues so as to create awareness among consumers.
MMY56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 12:38   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Don't know why anyone should want to make the dealer look blameless, but don't worry: we who read this thread know what to make of it --- and it doesn't look good for Ford or the dealer.
Other than being a happy owner of a Figo for the last 6 years, I have no other motive to defend Ford or the dealer. I don't even live in Bangalore.

Looking objectively

1. The law makes the owner of the vehicle responsible and liable for the vehicle. That is why the insurance is taken by the owner and not the driver

2. Had the accident resulted in the 3rd party fatality, the owner has the liability, though he may not have to take the responsibility. He need not face charges of causing the accident, but the liability will have to be paid by his insurance company and if not insured personally by him. He can't ask the court to take it up with Ford/dealer.

3. Unless the owner has entered into specific agreement with the dealer regarding pick up and drop, the owner is liable.

4. That is why when a vehicle is taken for test drive, a temporary number plate is to be displayed, in which case the dealer is liable & responsible.
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 12:50   #60
Senior - BHPian

This case actually makes me wonder-

*Hypothetically* ~ If I give my car for service with a free pick-up and drop facility, and the driver drives in a reckless manner and leads to a serious accident or fatality to some other person on the road, and then runs away leaving the car like the numerous lorry drivers always do, would I be left to deal the whole court episode on my own??

Yikes, no more availing of such facilities - regardless of manufacturer or dealer then!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks