Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you stay with the car at ASS or just drop/send the car?
Stay with the car 193 56.76%
Send/Drop the car and leave 142 41.76%
None of the above 5 1.47%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2016, 15:50   #61

Re: Car Servicing: Stay with the car, or just drop it off?

My suggestion is stay with the car and ensure that you meet the Service Manager before you give your nod for servicing or repairs. I had a horrendous experience at DSK Toyota, Pune, where car service on other days is a joy. But not that day. I had gone to drop my Innova for regular 35K servicing and since monsoon was on the anvil, I instructed the SA to replace the wiper blades. No other complaints were mentioned as there were none! (Innova, you know!)

However, since I requested wiper blade replacement, the SA sprayed the water on the windscreen and wiped them using the old blades to confirm the need to replace the blades, after which he agreed that replacement was in order! The first shocker that day was that the SA began insisting that I replace the battery of the vehicle since it was already 3.5 years old, despite me telling him that my battery was perfectly alright and I don't feel the need to replace it at the moment. After which the SA started pseudo threatening me that the vehicle can get stalled anytime because of old battery, short-circuit may occur and will incur very big expense, etc. after which I had to make him aware that I am a Mechanical Engineer by profession and work in an Auto OEM so I understand the needs of the vehicle better. End of "Battery" chapter. After which I signed the Work order & estimate and left the vehicle.

In the afternoon, the SA calls me and informs me that my wind-washer motor was not-functional and requires replacement amounting to 6k approximately. I was completely dumbfounded at this, because as you may recall when I had requested the SA to change the wiper blades he had himself sprayed the water and checked the blades. I mentioned the same sequence to him, hoping that he will recollect the chain of events and do what was needful. But to my disappointment, the SA was acting completely weird and stated that such things can go bad anytime and its not our responsibility. I told him that when I dropped the vehicle it was working and last night as well it had functioned properly, now it suddenly ceasing to operate sounds convenient to me and I should get back my vehicle with everything functional as it was when I dropped it. Frankly, since I had previously similar experiences with TATA and well aware that there are sales targets issued to each service center, service centers more often than not resorted to such methods for extra profit and target completion. The SA could not come up with anything further so he transferred my call to GM, Service, to whom again I had to reiterate the whole story.
Despite this, this GM, Service insists that this is not their problem and they could not do anything to resolve it. After which I lost my cool and told him that if he tried to return the vehicle to me in anything inferior to that what I dropped it with, consequences will be there for him to see and I will ensure that this issue escalates to levels much beyond his control. Finally some sense prevailed and he agreed to look into the matter and get back in sometime. I just signed off by saying that I will be coming to pick up my vehicle at the time mentioned on the job-card counterfoil and he'd better keep it ready, with the issue resolved.

Didn't receive any call from DSK and quite frankly didn't expect it either. Went to the center to pick up the vehicle and met the SA; trying to give sheepish smiles. I inquired about the resolution to the issue, to which he responded that we have fixed the problem and now it was working fine. I asked him what exactly did he do to fix the issue, to which he said I will have to ask GM, Service. (Funny, I know) Then, the much wanted GM, Service strolls in with wide smile and greets me. I greet him back and inquire about how did he resolve the issue. He said that they had replaced the pump free of cost. That was it, I told him to show me the old non-functional pump, to which he was taken aback and didn't expect me to ask him for any such thing, he said they cannot. Again an argument ensued. Finally, after I threatened him with the threat of contacting Toyota and Legal recourse, he told me that they were able to figure out the problem was with a fuse and they just replaced that. My blood literally boiled at the money these people attempt to rake in by falsely replacing parts and attempting to loot customers. I told him that this should be the last time such incidence occurs, with me or anyone else. Don't know how much it will change!

However, this episode brings me to some observations;
Firstly, Service Centers (SC) might be looting the customers by falsely stating that some parts have failed.
Secondly, many-a-times these SCs' try to replace parts of the in free service window cars with those of out free servicing window. Works very well for them, first they get to charge the out-of-service window customer for the part, secondly, they get free of cost replacement from the company as they claim it against the in-free-service window car. So you see they earn money and yet have a brand new part in their stores.
Thirdly, when they claim that they have changed oil, I really doubt how much of it is true or just another smooth way of looting customers.
Fourthly, it is imperative to analyze the exact issue with your vehicle before taking it to ASS, as these guys are only interested in replacing parts and increasing the revenues. A trustworthy technician always comes in handy.

Concluding, I think SCs' need to maintain integrity and we as customers cannot rely blindly on SCs' and SAs' to maintain honesty about their job.
Sangam Sardesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 10:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
it was impossible. Taking a day or two off as an entrepreneur isn't easy (you can accomplish a lot of work in a single 10 hour day).
Agree with GTO.
Staying with the car and observing it during service is a luxury. I can't afford that. But, then from last 18 years of ownership of my car, I developed some other methods to keep an eye on car servicing.

1. I always try to find a workshop/mechanic near to my office, so I can visit that workshop/mechanic twice or thrice during a working day.
2. I try to get a service appointment on Sundays. (again, it's not always possible due to family commitments.)
3. Recently, I bought an MS Vitara Brezza. MS workshop is at a walking distance from my office. So, when I have some time, I can walk down to the workshop to check what is happening.
4. I always remain present in case of any replacement of parts.
5. Owner of MS Showroom is a friend and respects me(of course due to Team-BHP). He gave me access to his CCTV system. I can keep an eye on his workshop by CCTV's android app.(and he gets a free CCTV supervisor)

Last edited by SJM1214 : 21st February 2018 at 10:25. Reason: Minor Change.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:19   #63
BHPian

In December 2017, I had brought in my 1 year old Elite i20 (run only 1500 km) for its usual 2nd service to Trident Hyundai.

As I stood by the car watching the service (since I know the SA quite well, I am allowed to do this), the mechanic started disconnecting the brake calipers to inspect the pads. As he was putting it back, I noticed a silver piece that he left on the ground (likely a dust guard on the caliper). I asked him why had he left it and his reply was "Sir, its not needed". I literally was shocked. If this part is part of the caliper assembly on what basis he was telling me that "its not needed - show me a Hyundai document telling that its not needed and can be discarded." Of course he couldn't and mumbled some excuse. I then told him firmly "Put it back and don't take out anything without any solid documentation from Hyundai instructing to do so!" . Also checked the other wheel to see whether he had done the same thing.

So, in short, based on the very rudimentary skills that many ASS mechanics have and the inherent tendency for ASS to find novel ways of charging you more, it is better to stay with your vehicle to ensure untoward things like the above don't happen.

Last edited by motorguy : 22nd February 2018 at 09:20.
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 10:31   #64
BHPian

Is your presence allowed at the authorised workshop service area?

Being a customer of several car manufacturers, I found it a common practice that the service managers or companies themselves do not allow or like respective owners of the cars to be present at the workshop service area. Rather, owners/drivers are asked to sit at the waiting lounge if they wish to stay there.

I am opening this thread to seek views of Bhpians about their experiences at authorised car service centres. (Moderators, please merge the same if similar thread exists).

Most of the times, I found, we, who love our cars and know the technical aspects and value the importance of periodic service wish their cars to be serviced in front of them. We are ready to take the toil of standing on the floor of the workshop instead sitting in the cool cabin of customer waiting lounge. I find no offence if the owner wishes to see what exactly are being done on his/her car after giving the car to the workshop guys.

Several incidents are up on the internet about the car not at all being serviced was delivered to the owner at the day end. Needless to say, most of the technically expert owners will find it near impossible to identify whether all the jobs as per job-card were done on the car when they pay the bills and receive the car it with a gate pass.

But due to some unknown reasons, the authorised workshops expect simply the opposite. I was compelled to write this thread after my recent visit to Mahindra workshop at my hometown. I wanted to check the clutch pedal force of my Thar CRDe and they did not have the 'tool' to measure it. Finally, after several emails to higher authority the tool was brought to the workshop. The clutch pressure was found higher than usual and they asked me to leave my car to open the clutch-box assembly for further inspection. I informed them that I need the car now and will leave the car with them for clutch-box opening once I come for 2nd service @10k kms which is just a couple of hundreds kms away. But at this point, I really doubted whether all the necessary tools to service a 4WD car are available with them. I asked the SA to lift the car in the service bay and I expressed my doubt to them regarding the tools availability. They said, it is ridiculous to think that the authorised workshop might not have all the required tools for servicing. But, wait! I pointed them to the front differential and showed them the bleeding point which is supposed to be opened during the upcoming 2nd service. At this very moment, all the mechanics gathered beneath the lifted Thar, inspected and admitted that they don't have the proper Allen key to open it! Voila! My doubt came true.

Now, I have no faith on them to give my car for 2nd service, who don't even know what exactly are to be done during a particular periodic service. Hadn't I checked with them regarding the small tool they would surely resort to some 'jugaad' or even would not even bleed and change the oil of front differential. No way I could find it out when the car would be delivered to me with the gate pass.

Until this incident, somehow, I obliged to the request of the SA to wait at the lounge instead of being on the shop floor. But, truly speaking, I never could buy into that idea and used to leave my cars reluctantly with them. But, now I feel, I must stay at the floor when my car is being serviced and I also think the owners cannot be denied with their rights.

Bhpians, what's your opinion? Please pitch in and share your experiences. And do you think the authorised workshops should allow the owners to be present at the workshop during servicing if they wish to?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th November 2018 at 10:56. Reason: Post moved to existing thread. Please SEARCH before creating threads on topics extensively discussed before. Thanks.
Blooming Flower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 11:03   #65
BHPian

Ideally they should be allowed but the thing is then the owners will keep pestering and disturbing the mechanics plus its a safety hazard as well.

In the Hyundai Gurgaon service centre i go to there is a small area where there is a glass window kinda corridor through which you can manage to see whats going on inside. That is the only option for me else go to a FNG.
Old 27th November 2018, 23:57   #66
BHPian

I have voted for YES. I always prefer staying with the car and inspecting the work.

I like Ford Service because of their layout. Here in Kolkata, I have visited 3 Ford A.S.C and all have similar layout. The customer waiting area is designed in a way that you get a proper view of the entire operation via a big glass window.

So I don't have to argue with the S.A. for staying with the car since I can monitor the progress and once they put it on the ramp or perform any work, I can walk down stairs to the service bay and freely chat with the technicians or workshop supervisors about any need or doubt. They don't mind and they don't stop unless some one roams around without any reason.

I have been to other places like Maruti, TATA, and Honda. Its kind of 50/50 with them. Some of their A.S.C follow this layout, some doesn't. Like for example, couple of months ago I went to service my brothers Brio and Honda A.S.C that I visited had no way of viewing the car while its been worked on. Although when we expressed our displeasure, S.A. did take us for a tour and allowed us to talk to the technician and workshop supervisor but still we couldn't see the car getting serviced, fresh oil or fresh filter being installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Servicing: Stay with the car, or just drop it off?-ford_asc.jpg  

Last edited by NaXal : 28th November 2018 at 00:00. Reason: added picture
Old 15th February 2019, 23:49   #67
BHPian

Stay with the car!!
It is another story that it is difficult for me to be with the car all the time during servicing. The only option I have is to verify the work done thoroughly after the service. In my opinion, the authorized service centre must give some kind of temporary access to the CCTVs in the workshop area until the car is in the workshop.
I think we must have some kind of consumer welfare lobby to get these things done at the company level. For example, no access policy in the workshop area or no genuine spare parts policy outside ASS, these are all anti-competitive practices of motor companies. In an organized market like this, the ultimate beneficiary has to be the consumer.
Old 16th February 2019, 08:16   #68
Senior - BHPian

I've been sending my Honda City/Elantra for service with their pick up driver and haven't had any issues till now.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 09:44   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

I send the car using the Pick up and Drop service, and make my payments online as well. The fact is despite having an Engineering Degree, I am not capable of assessing the work that a service centre does. I assume that brands have some systems in place to monitor dealers, and if a dealer or SA is dishonest, that would be caught over time - or would not be detectable by my spending time either. I do push back on the need for specific services though. That’s one reason why I opted for the BSI Plus for my X3, would much rather pay upfront for peace of mind.
Old 16th February 2019, 09:59   #70
Team-BHP Support

Time permitting, I generally stay behind with the car. Almost every time I've gone to the service centre has just been for periodic maintenance service. So, I take the first possible appointment, say 9ish, and the car is generally available by 1.30-2. I've observed washing is often the bottleneck so I offer to take the car as-is to save time.

At times, my presence there helps as the SA and technician will try tad bit harder to diagnose a problem; often, it makes no difference. Most A.S.S. have good customer lounges so I can get my work done too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks