Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you stay with the car at ASS or just drop/send the car?
Stay with the car 193 56.76%
Send/Drop the car and leave 142 41.76%
None of the above 5 1.47%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2016, 16:56   #1
BHPian

Car Servicing: Stay with the car, or just drop it off?

Now a days we come across many complaints of ASS shortchanging during services by not doing work properly or by replacing good working parts with substandard ones. I make sure that I am somehow present at the service center checking the progress regularly, sometimes even going to the extent of taking day off in office. I have never had any complaints from two ASS I have visited. One of them quite notorious.
This got me thinking, do most of these cases happen when customers send cars for servicing and ASS assumes customer is not going to bother much about tiny details?

Last edited by akshay380 : 15th October 2016 at 16:59.
akshay380 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 17:04   #2
BHPian

re: Car Servicing: Stay with the car, or just drop it off?

I stay with my car during each and every service call in the ASC. Generally I take a place from where I can keep an eye on the guys working on my car and every 15 mins or so, I stroll into the work area and look around, ask a few questions as to what is being done etc. I feel it shows a degree of concern and also helps to keep the mechanics alert on their jobs.

It also helps that I know the Works Manager of the ASC quite well !
TheStranger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 17:06   #3
BHPian

I never ever leave the cars alone at the service centre's. Either my driver or I am always physically present during the service.
But except Maruti all other ASS' s dont allow you to enter their workshops and see what is being done to the car. I have had some tough talks with SA's of Honda and Hyundai regarding this when they scolded my driver regarding entering their workshops.
But at maruti centres they dont push you much, infact the workshop people discuss your complaints with you.

Last edited by CA Dhruv : 15th October 2016 at 17:22.
CA Dhruv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 17:19   #4
BHPian

I make sure that I am available for the entire period of service. This has been my practice from the first free service so I have now built a decent rapport with guys there. And so me taking a walk to the work area to check the progress or to just to have a casual chat with the mechanics working on my car - is no more a problem. However it is not easy to spend the whole day but I take the pain to avoid hassles later.
pgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 20:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Stay with the car!

I guess most of the service centres these days insist on you waiting in the 'lounge'. Sometimes you maybe able to view the happenings from a distance, but I don't really know if that makes any difference in how your vehicle is treated on the floor.

I have always preferred smaller but competent service centres due to this. You can monitor everything being done on the car from close quarters. Added advantage at such places is they don't try to shove unnecessary stuff down your throat. Some of the smaller stuff gets solved without invoicing! But yes, finding a good small setup is a challenge in itself.

On a lighter note, with the increasing incidents of service center drivers crashing customer cars, maybe there should be another option added to the poll - Stay *in* the car
Dry Ice is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 20:12   #6
BHPian

I generally tend to drop the car off (at the ASC) early in the morning and collect it on the same evening. Strictly no overnighters! I make it extremely clear to my regular SA what needs to be done and what not to do. If the regular SA is not available, then I make sure to establish to the new SA that I'm a no nonsense customer and that i know what I'm talking about. I also make it very clear that if a case of replacement of a part arises, then a call MUST be given for confirmation. It also helps that i know a majority of the people over there. I meticulously check the car and the bill before i sign off on the job sheet and pay the bill.

In the case of a FNG, then yes, i stay with the car throughout, even if it means staying all day in the blistering heat.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2016 at 10:18. Reason: Typo
One:1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 20:11   #7
BHPian

I always Make it a point to be there at the service centre for as long as possible. If staying for the entire duration is not possible then i make it a point to come back sometime in the middle of the service. I personally can never trust them. Who knows if they ever change the oil or they actually perform the stuff mentioned in the bill. Especially the free things like free washing.
I always make it a point to ask them for the old parts back. I had a bad experience earlier at the Honda Service centre at Andheri. I also now always make it a point to go to the same service manager each time i visit the centre.
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 10:33   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Servicing: Stay with the car, or just drop it off?

In the 90s & through my college years, I'd spend the entire day with the car. However, once I started my career, it was impossible. Taking a day or two off as an entrepreneur isn't easy (you can accomplish a lot of work in a single 10 hour day). When my Jeep went through a complete strip & paint, I visited the shop only thrice and the job was still A+ (link to thread). The right workshop + service manager are key; not standing there yourself.

To me, the trust factor is important. If I trust a workshop, my cars go there. If I don't, they won't get my car anyway. I don't see any point in 'watching over your car' as, if someone has to play mischief, they'll do it either ways. Going with trustworthy workshops has worked for me and I haven't had an untoward incident in years.

It's also more difficult to do when you have multiple cars in the household. If I've to take a day off for the time when my 3 cars are at the workshop, it'll amount to 10 - 15 days every year. I'd rather spend that time working, or save the days for a vacation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
I have had some tough talks with SA's of Honda and Hyundai regarding this when they scolded my driver regarding entering their workshops.
Their insurance won't allow this. Plus, can you imagine the mayhem in the workshop area if each of the 50 cars has their owners accompanying them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
Strictly no overnighters
I don't see how that's possible. If there is major work required, it will definitely result in an overnighter (or more).

Related Threads:

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2016 at 08:14. Reason: Links
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 10:40   #9
BHPian

I too would prefer to accompany but apart from seeing what ever possible from the waiting lounge, there is nothing much that can be done. Hyundai and Toyota do not allow to be in the garage presumably for reasons mentioned by GTO -

1. Risk if something untoward happens because of which their insurers wont allow
2. The "crowd" if everyone joins the cars on the floor.

However, if they can actually have a waiting/customer lounge from where the car is visible, I think many customers will be happy even watching from there.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 11:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the 90s & through my college years, I'd spend the entire day with the car. However, once I started my career, it was impossible. Taking a day or two off as an entrepreneur isn't easy (you can accomplish a lot of work in a single 10 hour day). When my Jeep went through a complete strip & paint, I visited the shop only thrice and the job was still A+ (link to thread). The right workshop + service manager are key; not standing there yourself.
Exactly my thoughts on this.

Firstly, I don't get how people are polling that they stay with the car during the service. This is not permitted at any authorized workshop. Unless most people who have voted send their cars to independent garages.

Secondly, we are all very possessive about our cars and feel strongly about it being cared for at all times. However, one must be practical and understand that not standing by your car is not going to prove any less love for your car.

Lastly, let the experts do their job in peace. Check the car thoroughly once it is returned back to you and spending those few minutes to do so will prove more fruitful than spending hours waiting at the workshop.

Btw, most authorized workshops are now CCTV monitored and there are people at the brand/manufacturer level that overlook the footage to ensure there is no foul play. Moreover, they also ensure no unauthorized person like a customer can walk in to the workshop.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2016 at 11:10. Reason: Trimming quote :)
Sahil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 11:14   #11
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

My take on this:
-I always try to avoid using pickup and drop off services offered by service centres. Due to risk involved as well as wanting to establish first hand contact with the service centre personnel.
-Unless it is a major service that requires more than a day to complete the work, I prefer to pick up the vehicle the same day - also gives mr a chance to do a road test, fix problems if any and get the vehicle home.
-Free inspections and regular service - prefer to wait at the service centre and drive back when the service is complete.

Last edited by NPV : 17th October 2016 at 11:16.
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 11:49   #12
BHPian

My brother sent his Ritz for scheduled servicing at Prem Motors, Gurgaon sometime back. Less than a week after servicing, by chance, a mechanic happened to show us the air filter that was in the car. It looked ages old and black with dust.

Obviously the Ritz in never going back to Prem Motors again, but it goes to show how careless ASSs can be in some cases. I, for one, make sure each task is carried out in front of me.
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 12:05   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Firstly, I don't get how people are polling that they stay with the car during the service. This is not permitted at any authorized workshop.
My understanding is that you cannot stand in the service bay when your car is being serviced but that doesn't mean that you cannot stand at a safe location and observe what is being done to your car. My guess is that most folks who voted 'stay with the car' dont literally stand next to their car and observe every single job. Both at Maruti & Mahindra, I have never been asked not to stand next to the car. Senior SA's typically ask you to wait in the waiting area but I politely request them to allow me to stand in an area where my presence does not impact work.

Quote:
However, one must be practical and understand that not standing by your car is not going to prove any less love for your car.
Its not a question of expressing your love, for me its all about ensuring that things are done right. Few examples that I have seen at Mahindra ASS:

1. Cleaners wiping down the wheels of the car and then using the same cloth to wipe down door panels - this should not be done & I had to walk up to the cleaner, ask him to stop and then asked the supervisor to ensure that he use a different cloth to clean body panels. This is just plain common sense and even such small things tend to be ignored.

2. Service folks playing around with music system, aux headlights etc etc - I have seen cars which are abused when owners just drop them and go and the owner has no clue of what has happened to his vehicle. It even worse when parts are removed from one car and tested on another because you dont have spares. I have had that happen to me when my battery sensor failed and the SA actually removed the sensor from another car and checked. Hence you never know what parts of your car was unnecessarily removed/adjusted just because the SA was lazy to walk all the way to the spares desk and request a spare. The fact that M&M never seems to have spares is another story

3. Moving vehicles around - When owners are not around, service folks tend to morph into F1 drivers and push the cars around in the limited space. Have seen a few near misses in the M&M workshop and that alone is a primary reason for me to be with the car if nothing else. Though I must say that Maruti ASS is much better in this regard as their bays and service layout is better planned and has more space given that the cars are smaller.

4. Most common abuse that I have encountered at Mahindra ASS is service folks stand on car tyres & alloys to reach into the engine bay! I have seen cases where there are 2 of them standing on the tyres and heaving on the suspension. But when you are there watching them, they dont do that and use a stool or something else.

Another reason why I watch them servicing my car is so that the small things are not ignored. Eg. Cleaning the air filter or AC filter and so on. Because I am present, I remind them to do it and ensure that they do it. Most other owners might not even be bothered about this or just take their word for it and assume that its done. Same is the case for WA/WB.

An additional poll that should be added is timing of service - as in weekday vs. weekend. I usually try and service my car on Monday/Friday so that the weekend rush is avoided and folks actually have time to do their job right. I have observed this at ASS as well as other car wash/car care centres like 3M. Weekend is all about the numbers and ensuring that only the bare minimum is done whereas weekdays is a lot better in terms on attention to the vehicle and quality of work done.

Last edited by procrj : 17th October 2016 at 12:09.
procrj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 12:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
This got me thinking, do most of these cases happen when customers send cars for servicing and ASS assumes customer is not going to bother much about tiny details?
I have done three yearly services for my VW Polo. The service center is 80km from my place. So every time I need a service, I used to call the VW dealer (authorized dealer from whom I bought my car). They send their driver next day (or on the day of appointment). He takes the car to the service station and brings it back the next day. Once the car gets to the service station, the service supervisor calls me and suggests required services. If I agree then they proceed with it. I have never accompanied the driver and so far I haven't noticed anything missing or irregularities in the equipment. Once I even forgot to remove my pen-drives, sun glasses and some 100 rupee change kept inside the glove box. But got all of them back safely after the service. I usually give money to their driver for petrol cost and some extra money as tip. They give me the receipt for petrol when returning the car. Though I have to spend some extra money on tip; overall service experience has been hassle free and satisfying. No complaints.

Last edited by Mithrandir : 17th October 2016 at 12:25.
Mithrandir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 12:31   #15
BHPian

Last week I had dropped my car at Elite Ford Whitefield Bangalore. Now the door appear to have been opened and the power window is all of a sudden very sluggish. The car was actually dropped for fluid changes and a tranny check!
I think the door was opened and may the good working motor changed. Feeling cheated

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks