Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2017, 22:19   #346
BHPian

Re: Video: Fake service done on my Baleno RS by Mandovi Motors!

Guys sorry, I've been travelling extensively since Diwali and didn't have time to catch up on everything here.
The news thing was kind of sudden and I literally had no time to prepare, shot it from the hotel room. I haven't watched the clip but as GTO pointed out, why on earth did they blur the Maruti / Mandovi part! Had clearly mentioned it in the video. Will definitely ask the media personnel.
I will finish my travels in a few days and can hopefully bring this to some sort of conclusion.
ROG_AK is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 22:44   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
I haven't watched the clip but as GTO pointed out, why on earth did they blur the Maruti / Mandovi part! Had clearly mentioned it in the video. Will definitely ask the media personnel.
They interviewed you to take the first credit but they may have blurred names to avoid issues rising from trademark infringement.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 00:00   #348
BHPian

Apologies, if this has been answered earlier - At the 7 min mark, are they wet washing the wagon-R? And, isn't wet wash banned in Bangalore in the aftermath of foaming lakes? There might be more violations caught on the video, and that might be worrying the Mandovi folks.

Your video confirms what I have always suspected - underneath the sophisticated talking, air-conditioned lounges and free beverages the story is the same - just handing your money and expecting service is simply not going to happen.

Yourpost is helping raise the awareness and is spreading far and wide. Happened to mention it to my wife, who doesn't venture anywhere near automobile news of any kind, and she knew about it via social media. Who knows your post might be the tipping point that brings in transparency into this seriously unprofessional business of getting one's car serviced.

Thanks!
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 00:02   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Is it legal to video shoot the interior of a workplace without due authorization form the owner of the premises? In most premises this would be prohibited. ...
"Prohibited" is not the same as illegal. Ask the question this way: is it criminal? Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
... avoid issues rising from trademark infringement.
How could it infringe a trademark? That kind of legal fudge may be used to intimidate, but that's all it is: fudge.

American law is not the same as English law is not the same as Indian law, and Popehat is most definitely American, but I think the principles hold, and I recall that guys general advice that, when someone threatens to sue, the first question is, for what? Exactly, legally, for what.

The general unspecific bullying of threats, letters from lawyers, etc, without specifics, which happens all over the world, is just that: bullying. Trying it on.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd October 2017 at 00:03.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 00:35   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I have a slightly different take on this matter.

Is it legal to video shoot the interior of a workplace without due authorization form the owner of the premises? In most premises this would be prohibited.

The channel may not want to risk legal hassles themselves by showing the complete video, or name the dealer or manufacturer without knowing their side of the story and of course if they piss off Maruti, that might affect the ad revenues.
The video recording was automatically initiated when the service rep started the car. Is there any evidence that the customer initiated recording? Is there any notice in Mandovis premises that the customer must not record videos in their premises? TV channels routinely air sting videos. Are they with informed consent?
These are illogical statements. The whole purpose of not mentioning MSIL OR MANDOVI is to protect them.
Lalvaz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 08:31   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Seriously, was disappointed to see how they tried to hide Maruti's identity. They also went to report that the company has apologised.
And now we see how advertising money talks. Why would a news channel care about a single common customer when a massive company like Maruti is on the other end with a multi-crore ad spend? Similarly, why would Maruti care about a single customer (who has already given them his money) when a large volume dealer like Mandovi is on the other end earning them crores every month?

Independent forums like ours are our ONLY hope for even a weak form of consumer protection/awareness in this country.

And really, shame on our so called 'auto journals/mags' and their automobile 'experts'. When a Maruti or a Hero Honda roll out yet another colour variant of the same boring and sub-standard car/bike, they're all over it- articles, tweets, instagram posts, FB...you name it. And now, not a peep from them about this serious issue!
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 08:31   #352
Team-BHP Support

A word on how journalism goes on. Most media houses [print] pay very less to their correspondents so their sole earning depends on catching an offence and then taking money to either not report or soften it while reporting.

Another money spinner for them is a one side reporting.

And worst, reporting cooked up news. Yes, you read that right. They will simply catch up on a random piece of information and print it to get some money and when questioned about the authorities whose statements were present, the authorities/officials denied and one actually escalated it to higher officials, but sadly no results.

Journalism is one of the most corrupt profession out there. Who will escalate your case if you have a tiff with a reporter, probably no one and the world will continue to read one side story.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 08:55   #353
Senior - BHPian

I have received whatsapp messages about this fake service in multiple groups. There is no hiding for Maruti on this. People in different towns and cities all across India are reading this and are disgusted with the company's corrupt practice and attitude.

I see that Maruti is bringing on itself something that will not wash off for a long time to come. Good luck Maruti. Will certainly enjoy your bad time since you deserve it.
srishiva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:07   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
"Prohibited" is not the same as illegal. Ask the question this way: is it criminal? Nope.
I would equate Prohibited with Illegal. If someone were to film inside my property without my permission, I would make every effort to get that recording deleted, including legal ways.

I do acknowledge that the OP did not deliberately do it and that point will work to his favour if at all a court of law were to examine such a case.

However it's a borderline case for a media house to openly take on the number 1 car manufacturer in the country.

Inferences we are drawing from the video may not be legally tenable. After all in the first service, it's usually only a check up that is performed and mot any oil replacement etc that would materially impact the performance of a vehicle.

Not sure of the correct legal angle, but my belief is this would be treated as a much milder version compared to other malpractises such as replacing genuine parts with fakes.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:13   #355
Senior - BHPian

These type of shaby practices are followed by other service centers as well, irrespective of what the car manufacturer is. I am pretty sure that by now all the major service centers in our country are aware of this instance. What needs to be seen is do the service centers mend their ways or come up with ways so that instances like these are not caught again.
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:25   #356
BHPian

This is a news for media, may be because you are a premium customer and you have a proof. People like me have been talking and educating about this for years.Normally , it is hushed up. The job is well done from your side. Appreciate the efforts you took. Imagine, this is what our country men have been getting for years in the name of service. In all surveys Maruti is No.1. The concepts about service and customer care must change.Never take the video down and let this thread be alive.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:42   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say, this is nothing new, or rather nothing surprising. Never really trusted the MSIL service centers. They might be more in numbers, sure, but doesn't mean they are automatically 'better'.

End of the day, all manufacturers hire from the same pool. They can train the folks, but with such a huge labour force available at their disposal, I doubt they really worry about retention and take care of the staff. Checks and balances is one thing, but treating a person well, so he feels motivated enough to do his best is a completely different ball game.

The only positive with MSIL, and I have pointed it out umpteen times in various threads, is the availability of spares OTC. The day all manufactures ensure this, I would be happy to ditch them. And I am sure many others will too.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:09   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Yourpost is helping raise the awareness and is spreading far and wide. Happened to mention it to my wife, who doesn't venture anywhere near automobile news of any kind, and she knew about it via social media. Who knows your post might be the tipping point that brings in transparency into this seriously unprofessional business of getting one's car serviced.

Thanks!
Exactly. My wife is part of few "all girls" and "business oriented" groups on Whatsapp and this is spreading like anything. She jumped in excitement and asked me whether I saw this. I did what I had to do - Gave the TBHP thread link to her and she did the rest. I was like -

Good going Rog. Keep us updated.
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:31   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Today I was at the Fiat service center. After seeing the dash cam in my car, they started discussing about the Mandovi incident. So, this news is really spreading fast.
arun_josie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 13:16   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Today I was at the Fiat service center. After seeing the dash cam in my car, they started discussing about the Mandovi incident. So, this news is really spreading fast.
In future, apart from the fact that this thread highlights the audacity of MSIL and the MASS for their shabby attitude, it will lead to a lot of curiosity and inquiries for buying Dashcams. I am sure many non-automotive folks who are just owners of their cars will now think of having such an "accessory" in their car because the question on most of the people's mind would be "how did he record all this" and Dashcam will remain the answer.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed