Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2017, 21:27   #31
BHPian

re: Video: Fake service done on my Baleno RS by Mandovi Motors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
On a lighter note, looking at the check report, it seems like they've replaced/cleaned both your petrol and diesel fuel elements :-)
Nice catch on item number 2(3)

If he knew what he was doing he should have left it blank or n/a
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 22:32   #32
Team-BHP Support

Maruti will issue a bulletin to their service centres next. Make sure not take cars for service if equipped with Dash camera. Disconnect or remove the camera before service.

Expect this to be in Mandovi rules next time for sure. These acts should be punished severely.

Blatant cheating by the staff at Mandovi. The service manager should be fired along with other guys ASAP.
Vid6639 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 23:10   #33
BHPian

If this can happen with a MSIL car, one can only imagine the stuff that goes on elsewhere. I hope Maruti takes corrective action.

However, I'm a little surprised that the Service centre in question belongs to the Mandovi group. They have a pretty decent reputation in Bangalore and Mysore. I used to get my Ritz serviced at Mandovi ,Hennur and I've always been satisfied with the quality of service. It also helped that my service advisor was a great chap.
Old 15th October 2017, 23:11   #34
BHPian

Well it's been a rather eventful day to say the least! This is what transpired

- Got a call in the morning from the GM of the service centre humbly apologizing for the incident that occurred and requesting to meet me tomorrow to discuss about it. I told him that would be fine.
- He calls back a few moments later asking me if we could possibly meet today. I told him that I was busy and might be free in the evening.
- Next the service manager calls me and very politely asks me, why even though he had acknowledged the incident, apologised to me and taken necessary steps, I went ahead and created the this thread. I told him that I had appreciated what he did and even acknowledged the same on the thread, but I felt it was my responsibility to share the incident to ensure that it does not happen to others.
- A few moments later got a call from the RSM of Maruti Nexa, he starts off with an apology stating that these kind of things should not happen and that they would take the necessary action. I told him that I might not be the first customer this has happened to and we trust the service cantres to do their job properly, which did not happen. He asked me if they can take the car in again and check everything properly including the fuel smell, to which I agreed.
- Get a call back again from the GM of the service centre very humbling asking me take the video down because it will have consequences to the people concerned. I tell him that is not possible because I felt everyone has the right to know.
- Next the RSM calls again with a conference call to the MD of Mandovi Motors, the MD apologises telling me that he is shocked by the incident. I thanked him for the apology (he sounded quiet sick on the call, hope you get well soon) and he also told me that he will take the necessary action required to ensure that this does not happen again.
- A little while afterwards, the zonal head of Maruti Nexa (based in Mumbai) called me and apologises for the incident citing that it is a very serious matter. He asks me a few questions about the video and said he will do what is necessary.
- Now this was the best part, four people from Mandovi (service manager, GM of service centre, senior GM of services & spares and another person whom I am unable to recall) actually come to my house in the evening! They again apologise stating that it is an eye opener and it should not happen again to any customer. Then they ask me if there is anything they can do. We have a conversation for a bit and I told them that their service advisors should not take things for granted because people put their trust in them to take care of their cars. I also suggested that they install CCTV cameras in all service centres and not just the Nexa ones. Apparently this particular service centre has only one CCTV camera at the entrance! They apologise and two of the gentleman leave. The other two very humbly and politely ask me to remove this thread because it will tarnish the reputation of the service centre. I told them that is not possible, they make the request several times and after saying no several times they leave.
- The two gentleman return a while later and again humbly request me to take down this thread. I told them it was not my intention to cause harm to anyone and I just shared my experience. The damage is already done and the best thing to do is move on and ensure this does not happen again. They leave after this.

Well thank you Maruti and Mandovi for all your concerns and apologies and I do hope you will do what is necessary to ensure this does not happen again to anyone.

Last edited by ajmat : 16th October 2017 at 07:54. Reason: correcting typo
ROG_AK is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 23:24   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
They apologise and two of the gentleman leave. The other two very humbly and politely ask me to remove this thread because it will tarnish the reputation of the service centre. I told them that is not possible, they make the request several times and after saying no several times they leave.
- The two gentleman return a while later and again humbly request me to take down this thread. I told them it was not my intention to cause harm to anyone and I just shared my experience. The damage is already done and the best thing to do is move on and ensure this does not happen again. They leave after this.
You can tell them it is not possible for you to remove the thread. You don't have the ability to do that. Once posted on team-BHP, it never gets removed unless it is in violation of forum rules.

It is clearly mentioned in #6 in the forum Etiquette thread.
Samurai is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 23:30   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You can tell them it is not possible for you to remove the thread. You don't have the ability to do that. Once posted on team-BHP, it never gets removed unless it is in violation of forum rules.

Yes I did tell them this, don't think they believed me though.
Old 15th October 2017, 23:41   #37
BHPian

What a sham by Maruti for servicing their so called "Premium cars".
This proves that there is nothing like peace of mind A.S.S. in this country. And the reason for the same is simple - Dishonesty and making a quick buck runs in our blood. For 1 honest guy there are 10 dishonest who just want to fleece you.
Seeing this video will instill a doubt in every customer's mind that does the A.S.S. that I give my car to is honest enough to complete the job defined with the utmost responsibility
Thanks to ROG_AK for pointing this out. Maruti should be conducting an inquiry on such service centres and fine the errant ones. After all Maruti is the one paying for the free services.
Edit: Just saw the post from ROG_AK, power of social media is amazing. ROG_AK - You tell them that they should not be worried about the video if they take corrective steps. Also, tell Maruti to conduct random checks for similar instances all across the nation.

Last edited by ferrarirules : 15th October 2017 at 23:57.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 23:49   #38
BHPian

Also covered here:

https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-bale...12252877.html/

https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comme...name=frontpage
Old 16th October 2017, 00:02   #39
BHPian

Firstly, Such an incident should not have happened to you or for that matter to anyone. It is really sad that ASS take the customers for granted. As owners, we need to be alert and keep a vigil during the service.

Secondly, The way Maruti guys have responded to you actually shows that MSIL cares for its customers. The Multiple apologies that you have got proves that Maruti would do anything to keep their USP intact. I doubt if any other Company would have apologised to you in such a manner.

Next time when you visit the service centre I am sure you will be treated as a King. After all, Customer is always the King.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 00:05   #40
BANNED

Although I may be the odd one out , but I am someone who has never liked the way Maruti Suzuki service stations do operate. I won't name it, but we ourselves have been into this business (MSIL itself) under a partnership and I am quite aware of how it all works, and unfortunately, it is Maruti itself where we have most arrogant service staff and most ignorant ones too at times.

These guys have offered the customer a lot of corrections and assurance, but actually it is all because things have turned ugly for them, else their concern is all fake.

In my opinion, it is important to let MSIL higher ups take a note and a very strict action against this particular service stations as well as all others where the service advisers do take a lot of advantage of this trust and give the benefits to their friends and relatives, just as yaari dosti.

One Incident Worth Sharing:
Once again I won't call for the name but this is how it went.

Brand new Swift DZire VDi of a friend went in for an insurance claim, basically a motorcycle hit that caused damage to front bumper and grille. After 3 days the car returns back (When we inspected on day 2, the bonnet was absolutely fine and stock) and when we did a close inspection, we discovered that the bonnet of the car is changed. Changed is fine but it isn't the factory fitted one or any new one, but an older bonnet (with slight flexing marks) which was probably picked from a bit older car.

We went back to the service station and made a scene there (many guys), very soon it was clear that the service adviser had just did some yaari-dosti (friendly favor) to a customer or probably friend of his, and replaced his bonnet with the one on our car and was selling us the reasoning that "sir bonnet was not aligning (why the hell, it was well aligned with both quarter panels and wasn't hit by anything) and hence was replaced. The service center painting is never as good as factory painting and hence, the bonnet is not as good as the OEM one.

Our favorite part:
Once it was clear to the service adviser that he has been caught, the offer he gave to us was:
"Sir, itni gaadi khadi hain, jis ka keh doge uska laga dunga" (Sir, so many cars are parked, whichever one you choose, I will put its bonnet on your car)
Well, we returned home with a new bonnet that day, but I, personally just don't trust these guys at all. Their repair jobs are normally shoddy (especially, when it comes to accidental repair jobs) and the immense pressure their service advisers normally work under, due to large number of cars, this story can be digested.

But yes, I have seen these guys replace parts from cars in the ones of theirs or their friends. I have seen them avoid warranty of something to a customer but honoring the same to their friends or relatives. Although, the one mentioned in this thread is a new low, but there have been incidents where they even put normal mineral oil in the cars and bill it under synthetic/semi-synthetic.

One more, and this time I will mention the name too:
I was at Shakumbhari motors, Haridwar regarding some warranty replacement on a Ritz. Since I had to visit the SIDCUL, I inquired about the courtesy/loaner car, if any. Now there is this girl who told me that the car is available.

I asked her about the policy of theirs, if they have any, before handing me the car (you never know, maybe they drop a bomb later). Now this girl blatantly tells me "kya policy, aapko gaadi chahiye ya policy? Leni hai gaadi toh le lo (what policy? you need the car or the policy? If you want the car, just take it)", and the car they gave to me was a shabby old Zen which literally had nothing working well in it. I mean, this car was in such a condition that I didn't even bother to take it far, just parked it 1 km away at a friend's place and took his car for the work. On the contrary, I have had a decent experience with the likes of Tata and Mahindra, they not only did pay respect, but also made sure that even with all my nagging, they send me back home satisfied. Toyota is the one which has won over me, they have even gone out of the way and their men once worked till 9 pm at night for me, just because I requested in the evening that I need any of my two cars admitted with them for an emergency.

Last edited by VKumar : 16th October 2017 at 00:06.
VKumar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 00:05   #41
BHPian

Eventful day indeed.
Woke up today and first thing I did was to check google news on my phone. Rush Lane article of this event appeared in third or fourth row.

Evening is when I checked it at Team bhp. So this event surely got plenty eyeballs. It may sound unethical, but MSIL may try to go all in to white wash this event.

Skoda horror story started with one, then no amount of money could change the image.

Sure all companies have plenty things hidden, but if it remains online it is forever.
Old 16th October 2017, 00:09   #42
BHPian

This is nonsensical and plain rubbish from the officials of Mandovi Motors and Nexa, jumping up and down and harassing the customer to bring down the video in the name of Apologies.

An apology is fine, and sometimes another one is Ok too, but anything more is pure harassment and this alone should be separately looked at.

As a stern warning to all the outlets, Maruti should immediately suspend this dealership (along with severe monetary penalty) and send out the video to all its dealerships stating that such malpractices will lead to immediate termination and legal actions.

You cannot cheat your customers who bring food to your table.

And Maruti - Nexa getting CCTVs in its service bays is fine, but it is those customers of yours who bought your humble Altos, Zens, have made you what you are today, so take care of them first. Do the video recording in every Maruti Service centers.

Off-late, been reading several negative incidents about Maruti. Not good Maruti, not good at all, especially when your USP comes from your service and not from your cars!
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 00:10   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
Well it's been a rather eventful day to say the least! This is what transpired
Buddy, thank you for sharing this. Although we Bhpians had a hunch that things like this might happen behind the scenes, this is truly an eye opener. It reinforces my practice of staying with my car during service or if not possible, then be paranoid and monitor/scrutinize every single action.

Having said that, I must say Maruti and Mandovi are doing everything they can do correct the mistake. Offering to perform the service again and taking visible action to change processes are pretty much what they can do now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Absolutely, such threads don't and shouldn't ever be taken down.

My suggestion is to provide an edit note in the subject line and a link to the OP's latest post as an update on the happenings and a logical conclusion to the thread.
Old 16th October 2017, 00:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I always thought we don't hear much negative about anything Maruti is not because they are perfect, but because most of their customers are not savy enough.
Errr, so Maruti customers are stupid ?
Gee, that makes half the country's car-buying public !

While this is incident is deplorable, it would be foolish to think that the same does not happen at the service-centers of other brands - even ones that supposedly cater to the ( cough, cough ) "savvy" customer.

One just has to casually browse the forum to realize that pretty much every manufacturer has been panned with regards to service deficiency & in most cases even worse.

I hope that we, as a forum, do not conflate the indolent attitude of this particular service-center with that of Maruti, the car-maker.
In fact, it could be argued that despite such poor service, Maruti cars keep running without breaking down or catching fire ( well, most of the time anyway ).

Last edited by im_srini : 16th October 2017 at 01:06.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 01:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Normally, mostly non-staff is not allowed in the bays. Apart from safety of the people, we need to look at the kind of drivers/owners who come in. The arguments & stuff apart, some of these people would actually interfere even in honest the work that is being done.

Having said that, if you know the people well, they may let you in, but best to not stay too long. Don't want to set a trend for the above mentioned types of people going in & creating problems for the staff. I too go in, meet the technician & supervisor, but I come out soon.
I have to strongly disagree. I have never let my car get serviced without me being present next to the car. Also, the mechanic has to explain to me whatever he is doing as well as the reason for his inference if working on an issue. I don't get why don't all people do this. I always tip the mechanic generously, so never have faced any issues and the mechanic also becomes a friend and always insists on servicing my car every time I take it in.
For my sister's A-Star, the mechanic himself recommended and processed throttle body change under warranty which the SA was trying to pawn off by saying it happens in all A-Stars.
The mechanic for my Palio has become a dear friend and I get my car serviced and repaired from him outside the agency. Next week he will be travelling 300kms to change the clutch plate which has left my Palio stranded and it will still work out cheaper than getting it serviced anywhere else as he never charges me inappropriately.
The very first interaction with this same guy had ended up in an altercation where he had asked me to wait in the customer lounge. I refused and called upon his seniors and they had to allow me to stand next to the car. We had a good interaction while he replaced the shockers on my car and we have been friends ever since.
rdst_1 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed