Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2017, 01:15   #46
BHPian

re: Video: Fake service done on my Baleno RS by Mandovi Motors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Errr, so Maruti customers are stupid ?
Gee, that makes half the country's car-buying public !

While this is incident is deplorable, it would be foolish to think that the same does not happen at the service-centers of other brands - even ones that supposedly cater to the ( cough, cough ) "savvy" customer.
I can't help if you feel stupid, but I only said "not savvy enough".

A majority of the population here in India are habitually violate traffic. So, that's alright then?

And had you not been in a hurry, you would have found this from my second paragraph:
"Just like any other manufacturer's website, it's filled with all kinds of negative reviews"
prakash_ajp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 01:45   #47
BHPian

Fringe elements who want to mindlessly complete their share of work in a hurry have made their way in all branded workshops. Now it all depends on how Maruti deals with these fellows. Going by a few replies here by reputed members, it is apparent that they're going to be dealt with stern action. Seems the higher officials incharge too have been shaken & would probably get black-marked for this.

Btw, checking fluids literally takes barely a few minutes, it cant be confirmed that they've surely not done it. You've reported petrol smell, but confirmed that the car was fine otherwise, this possibly pushed them to further wrongly think that nothing needs checking.

These people see dozens of cars day in and day out, being practical, if people have a private word with them about how many customers of new cars imagine various smells (of new plastic, new seat fabric etc), it'll lend a fair idea of why they have a casual attitude towards the same. Another perspective we can also consider is that service advisors are confident about the cars. Still, the attitude is unforgivable. Anyway, I believe people must stay with the car during service, or atleast hang around showing some concern for the car rather than walk out immediately.

Hope Team-BHP features this thread in their HOT THREADS section, maybe it'll build pressure on Marut

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 16th October 2017 at 02:11.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 05:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I can't help if you feel stupid, but I only said "not savvy enough".
Thanks for the quick clarification chief, I almost lost sleep thinking I was "stupid", it's such a relief to know that I'm just "not savvy enough"
< SARCASM/HUMOR >
I guess the official reviews for non-Maruti cars can now include the following under "For" :
  • - A chip for your shoulder
  • - You'll be considered savvy !
... and the following under "Against" for Maruti cars :
  • You'll be considered "not savvy"
</ SARCASM/HUMOR >

P.S. - Non-Maruti owners, please forgive me for adding the tags, I did so for the sake of the Maruti owners because, you know, we're "not savvy enough"
~

Last edited by im_srini : 16th October 2017 at 05:20.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 05:44   #49
BHPian

This is really shocking. I was a loyal customer of Mandovi, JP Nagar and not anymore after I sensed they are more happier to increase my bill than reducing it. Having said that I am hoping this has happened because of free service as my car completed 2.1 Lks and 10 years without any major complaints apart from the regular wear and tear (touchwood). This would have not possible if they have not serviced properly.
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 07:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
- A little while afterwards, the zonal head of Maruti Nexa (based in Mumbai) called me and apologises for the incident citing that it is a very serious matter. He asks me a few questions about the video and said he will do what is necessary.
- Now this was the best part, four people from Mandovi (service manager, GM of service centre, senior GM of services & spares and another person whom I am unable to recall) actually come to my house in the evening!

I think the dealership is in very very deep trouble. Thank you for sharing this with others. You can expect some strict action against the dealership by Maruti. The way these people came running to you is surprising. Usually they will not meet customers even if they are 5-feet away in the showroom.
blackwasp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 07:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I guess the official reviews for non-Maruti cars can now include the following under "For" :
  • - A chip for your shoulder
  • - You'll be considered savvy !
... and the following under "Against" for Maruti cars :
  • You'll be considered "not savvy"
On a more serious note, I think the following point in official reviews needs serious reconsideration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
• Maruti's widespread service network, excellent after-sales support & fuss-free ownership experiences
Is this what you would call a fuss free ownership experience? And i don't think this is an isolated experience. While Maruti officials are responsive to escalations, the number of such incidents seems to be increasing. Request GTO and the mod team to consider this for the next review that comes up
greenhorn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 07:55   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Only recently I had commented on the S-Cross thread about how Service has become way too expensive and how most of the usual jobs are also charged apart from the paid service charges and now this.

It happened to my doubt when I looked at the video and the location seemed known to me till I started to read that this was none other than Mandovi Motors' Yeshwantpur MASS. And they are the largest (and oldest) dealer for Maruti in Karnataka!!

Last I heard was it had reached the India HQ and also Suzuki Motor Corp, Japan - So they are seriously serious about this now.

I am extremely surprised by the visuals in this video, where there has been no attempt made to really inspect the car, let alone service! I say this mostly because it was the same outlet where I have had immensely positive experience as this was the place I got my WagonR serviced on regular basis for almost 6 years till I shifted to Surakshaa due to personal reasons (people known to me here). But whenever I have got my vehicle serviced here, I have had no qualms really, in terms of workmanship or professionalism or the ability to deal with issues. In fact, apart from my own care-taking, I would completely credit this MASS for being with my car for almost 2 L kms that despite a gap of not visiting them for almost a year, I drove to this place to thank each one of them after my car completed 2L kms and here is what I remember:

Video: Fake service done on my Baleno RS by Mandovi Motors!-20130524_112300.jpg

In the video on this post, I still see some familiar faces - SAs, Mechanics etc which you see in the above pic.

And here is where I was never particular about meeting at SA for my service. So most of the folks here had at some point in time worked on my car during that regular service or a "running repair" job as they call it.

I have all the times either stayed with the car or have watched the entire action from the waiting lounge and these fellows never asked me if I would be visiting them to collect the car back in the evening - So they would always start the work and even call me at various intervals to show me the condition of certain parts.

In fact, while I waited for my car to arrive at the bay, I noticed how they would at first wash all the 4 wheel wells, hoist the car on ramp and then begin the service in following sequence:
  • Cover both fenders with guards typically seen in ASCs
  • Check all fluids levels
  • Check all bulbs
  • Check Wipers and fluid spray and clean/adjust nozzle with a Pin
  • Lift the hoist and remove all 4 wheels, inspect the brakes, clean pads and shoes
  • Inspect crucial fasteners - Lower Arms, Stabilizer Bar mainly, Exhaust and Cat Con

While I was always particular that they do not clean the plugs as I would do that myself at home, I always saw them doing it for other cars along with cleaning the filter. Those were the days when Maruti Diesels were limited to Swift (majority), Dzire and Ritz to certain extent. It was mostly petrol cars.

Although 5000 kms service in reality would not require any replacement of fluids, I would have expected them to at least carry out the basic tasks as part of the service that they did not and I am really surprised at that.

I am really not sure on what happens next - The video is quite an evidence that can't deny what was done (or not done). An acknowledgement from MASS won't really set things right anyway. Least that they can do now is to ensure stringent mechanisms to execute each service while it gets supervised by the Service Advisor.

In this world of Social media and super fast communication, this one is already quiet a news all over and the next customer who visits the service center (any outlet for that matter) will be more wary than before and perhaps insist that he would like to see what jobs are done as part of service.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th October 2017 at 08:04.
paragsachania is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 08:16   #53
BHPian

I was once at Bimal in BLR My vehicle, then a swift, required a rubber grommet spare part which was not in stock.

SA removed it from other customers car and installed in my vehicle.

While it resolved my problem, I was not too happy about it.
Old 16th October 2017, 08:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Normally, mostly non-staff is not allowed in the bays. Apart from safety of the people, we need to look at the kind of drivers/owners who come in. The arguments & stuff apart, some of these people would actually interfere even in honest the work that is being done.

Having said that, if you know the people well, they may let you in, but best to not stay too long. Don't want to set a trend for the above mentioned types of people going in & creating problems for the staff. I too go in, meet the technician & supervisor, but I come out soon.
This thread has a service checklist. Do we have one that shows us how to verify if all of these were done ?

During 1st service, Varun Motors(Begumpet-Hyd) washed the boot with water and the mats were dripping. I do not know much about about automobiles and can only do a basic check like this one.
Old 16th October 2017, 08:35   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Is this what you would call a fuss free ownership experience? And i don't think this is an isolated experience. While Maruti officials are responsive to escalations, the number of such incidents seems to be increasing. Request GTO and the mod team to consider this for the next review that comes up
While there are more incidents being reported, it still seems to be less in number and intensity than some of the other brands which are known for poor service.

Couple this with the sheer number of cars out on the roads and being sold every month - the percentage is still very less in comparison.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 08:36   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Do we have one that shows us how to verify if all of these were done ?.
The easiest thing that can be verified is the engine oil. Beyond that it is not easy. What all will you check ? You would need to open up the things they said they have done, to verify the work. Even if you did, the rates are sometimes quite high for the work done.

eg:
Brake caliper greasing. Front / disc brakes @ 630 , and 420 for rear ( MASS charges). In both cases, the wheels are dismounted, but beyond that there is not much difference in the effort involved. Either way, 1000 rs for a 30-40 min job ? When their hourly labor rates are about 300 approx. ??

MASS charged me for lubricating in doors / windows. I wonder if they opened the door pads for this. I don think they did. There was no problem in them, and I don't see any difference in the functioning. Charges 250. Will you open the pads and check ?

In case of genuine work, you will know the difference. Noisy brakes, or some physically verifiable problem. Or with physical components like oil filter, you can still make out because the item is changed and is visible for inspection.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 08:39   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

This whole "free service" thing that never involved any fluid changes was always a formality really. And now that someone has managed to catch them red-handed, we all know what really happens.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 08:56   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
For me, Maruti is fuss free ownership even today though I have had my share of issues with their product as well as service. Like I had told earlier, if customers begin to tighten the noose around service advisors like in this case, they will be attentive next time and will ensure incidents like this wont happen. Where else have you seen a bunch of people from the dealership landing at your doorstep on a Sunday and asking to be forgiven?

Rising incidents I blame due to their increasing numbers and headweight since most of the owners are first timers. This can be easily brought back to shape with such escalations. That is what I like. Here, unlike some other manufacturers, dealer and manufacturer havent played passing the ball. The one time I casually told 'NO' during a feedback call for a question if my issue was resolved, I had the same situation where they literally begged to send my car and did not heed to any of my excuses. From then, no one dared to ignore me when I took in my car for any work. The same will happen here too. Even if that is not so, there are lots of other places all around town to go for the next service
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 09:05   #59
BHPian

Many service stations try to cut corners especially where they think the customers will not notice, which in most cases means anything deeper than the interior or exterior cleanliness. They fail to realize that this is tantamount to playing with the lives of the people travelling in that car.

I have had a similar experience with Linkway Honda, Goregaon, (closed down since). I asked for tires to be rotated during the service, during delivery, the service advisor confirmed that this had been done. I was immediately able to point out that this was not the case as one of the alloys which has been nicked against a kerb after the last service was still in the same place. While he looked suitably contrite and made amends, the question on how often has this been done in the last remains.

IMO, the service centers should be made liable for mechanical failures in the event of an accident. This will ensure that the requisite service is done each time.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 09:18   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This whole "free service" thing that never involved any fluid changes was always a formality really. And now that someone has managed to catch them red-handed, we all know what really happens.
Sadly ! And good they have been caught.

Ironically, the idea of a free service, even if it is check up, is to check for any problems that may have creeped in into the new car due to a miss somewhere in production, or that 1-in-a-lakh faulty part that escaped QC. Ironic because, the ASC here has become a QC fail :-)

Last edited by condor : 16th October 2017 at 09:24.
condor is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed