Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2017, 13:30   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Video: Fake service done on my Baleno RS by Mandovi Motors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In future, apart from the fact that this thread highlights the audacity of MSIL and the MASS for their shabby attitude, it will lead to a lot of curiosity and inquiries for buying Dashcams. I am sure many non-automotive folks who are just owners of their cars will now think of having such an "accessory" in their car because the question on most of the people's mind would be "how did he record all this" and Dashcam will remain the answer.
True.
I was mentioning this to few non-petrol head friends and their first question was , 'how can I get a dashcam'? and these were the same friends who made fun of it when I started using it few years ago.

It is good , however, I hope they leave it on while driving which is the primary reason for a dashcam and not like a candid cam when the car goes for service.

Last edited by tharian : 23rd October 2017 at 13:31.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:27   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
. I am sure many non-automotive folks who are just owners of their cars will now think of having such an "accessory" in their car because the question on most of the people's mind would be "how did he record all this" and Dashcam will remain the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
True.
I was mentioning this to few non-petrol head friends and their first question was , 'how can I get a dashcam'? and these were the same friends who made fun of it when I started using it few years ago.
I got my car serviced from MASS at a small town in Kerala on 19/10 and this news has already reached there. The MASS owner requested me to buy 2 dashcams for his own use
arjithin is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:36   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Is it legal to video shoot the interior of a workplace without due authorization form the owner of the premises? In most premises this would be prohibited.
This was unintentional, now while trying to get details things went ugly and viral. Also have they displayed and explained to customers about no photography?

Quote:
The channel may not want to risk legal hassles themselves by showing the complete video, or name the dealer or manufacturer without knowing their side of the story and of course if they piss off Maruti, that might affect the ad revenues.
Legal angle they have enough of journalistic immunity, latter being the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
Will definitely ask the media personnel.
Don't bother, nothing is going to change from their side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Apologies, if this has been answered earlier - At the 7 min mark, are they wet washing the wagon-R? And, isn't wet wash banned in Bangalore in the aftermath of foaming lakes?
I believe under body / mudguard washing was allowed, saw this at Ford center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Journalism is one of the most corrupt profession out there. Who will escalate your case if you have a tiff with a reporter, probably no one and the world will continue to read one side story.
Completely agree, hence i mentioned do not even bothering requesting the media. Instead send a documented note how the interview was pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
However it's a borderline case for a media house to openly take on the number 1 car manufacturer in the country.
Exactly all the mainstream media would just go only so much, they have more to loose and wouldn't risk it.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:37   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

I cant wait to see the response when I will take my car to service. As of now, there is still 3k kms left for my Celerio to reach the 20k mark, but I want to advance it and take it much earlier I am not sure if they will bar the dashcam from being there on my car when it is handed over. Ideally if they are sure of what they are doing, why should they be worried about it. Last time too they had noticed it but only did some exploring, but this time given its a Bangalore dealer they would have discussed this.

I have one doubt with respect to the legality part: The service center has the right to say that the cars are serviced, tested and stored at customers risk. If so, why cannot I ensure the safety of my car by installing a dashcam inside my car? If they are ready to remove that clause then I will send in my car without the dashcam. As simple as that.

If a CCTV camera is looking at the entrance to a house, and capturing the road and a neighbours house, wont it also be deemed illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Apologies, if this has been answered earlier - At the 7 min mark, are they wet washing the wagon-R? And, isn't wet wash banned in Bangalore in the aftermath of foaming lakes? There might be more violations caught on the video, and that might be worrying the Mandovi folks.
From what I have read in various places, the ban was on any industry located around Bellandur lake or any industry discharging untreated sewage into any drain that flows into this lake. The industries which had sewage treatment plants were allowed to function. A few other places took this to advantage and cited water scarcity as a reason especially Mandovi since one of my colleagues didnt get his car "Dry-washed" at Mandovi when he left his Celerio for service. This service center is on the opposite side of Bellandur lake hence it might not come under such regulations. FNGs have always been washing the regular way and they have not got any instructions.

Last edited by audioholic : 23rd October 2017 at 14:43.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 15:23   #365
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The good news - that's our man ROG_AK:

The bad news: No mention of Maruti or Mandovi Motors! They went so far as to blur the entire video to hide the fact that it's a Maruti workshop

What a waste of time. This is how the 'journalism' industry spins.
Here's the full video for those who missed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
A good friend of mine had asked me to give his car to the nearest Maruti Suzuki Dealership recently (about a month back). I had heard negative reviews of the workshop previously, but I was thinking it is just the second free service and what can go wrong.
The dealer has written in, seeking your contact information as they want to address your complaint. Am sending you a PM with their email. If you wish, you can write directly to them.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 15:40   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's the full video for those who missed it!
Some major discrepancies that I found in the video:

- Absolutely no mention of Maruti anywhere, forget Mandovi Motors

- The service advisors and the mechanics were found eating inside the car with the air con on full blast. Not highlighted again.

- Blurred footage again to mask the fact that it is a Maruti Service centre

- Last but definitely not the least, not mentioning that the owner has been threatened by the dealer that he will be sued!

Sad state of A.S.S. Ha! This thread and the owner experience highlights the sad state of mentality in our country. When an owner blindly trusts a service centre or shall I say a Brand with 50% market share with his 10 lack vehicle and when they stoop to an all time low only to cheat him.

To be honest, this could have been solved by Suzuki long back. Had they stepped in, fired the idiots responsible and apologised straight off, they wouldn't have to face such flak. But they have tried everything. From a fake service to not taking responsibility to sueing ones own customer.

Last edited by vishy76 : 23rd October 2017 at 15:59.
vishy76 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 16:33   #367
Senior - BHPian

More courage is required to accept mistake; a background check of this Mandovi group should not surprise anyone of how they have tried to resolve the issue by bullying the customer.

Last edited by deehunk : 23rd October 2017 at 16:36.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 17:48   #368
Team-BHP Support

Haha ... I think the only giveaway is the very obvious brown Wagon R that has withstood all tests of blurring. Other B'lore Maruti dealers must be cursing the blurring - thanks to this vague and blurred video, anyone who sees this will know its a Maruti dealer, in B'lore but not which one!. Lol
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 22:23   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Unless one of our lawyers would care to step in with informed opinion, I think we may as well not argue the law, other than the telling fact that the dealer did not mention any.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 00:57   #370
Senior - BHPian

I think this is the answer to my question "Why don't cars come with dashcams as standard fitment?"

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4246964

If everyone had a dashcam then there would be less scope for the service centre to cheat and fleece their customers.

Hope this news reaches the ears of the Supreme Court and they make it mandatory to have dashcams in all cars. It would make more sense than depriving a parent dropping off her kid to school in an under 100cc Scooty.

PS: All dashcams do not need for the car to be started for it to start recording. Some cams have the motion detection feature that records off its inbuilt battery if it detects movement in the vicinity. The dashcams can also be wired to draw power from the battery directly without the car being on. And if it's Ford, and you have connected your dashcam to the 12v socket, then you can be assured that the dashcam is always on
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 02:05   #371
Senior - BHPian

I had read a post (or thread) recently on the forum where a member had mentioned a shoddy towing experience my an authorized Maruti service center where eventually the car (S-Cross) was damaged.

My WagonrR has been in the Mandovi Hennur workshop for quite some time now and even though I make it a point to make it clear to the service officials that I will not be the type of customer that they can fool, I decided to drop in and check on my car. Some really high up guy listened in on my conversation with the lady at the desk about how it is unreal how long they are taking to service my WagonR (Kizashi never experienced so much down time even) and that I want to see the car right now. This old gent (possibly Mandovi MD or something of the sort) came to the desk immediately spoke to the lady at the desk, came with me to find the SA in charge told him a few things about professionalism and keeping me informed, made sure I saw the car there and then, and promised me delivery tomorrow.

Whether the news outlet has covered the story properly or not, threads on this forum do tend to gain a certain level of traction, just read above GTO mentioning that another service center has reached out to another member who made a post on this thread.

Is it possible to create a whole new section entitled "beware" where all these horror stories are sorted and listed in order of the brand? Like under Maruti- this and several other experiences, under Skoda- many many reports on this forum, Ford- read about the Figo aspire (or some one of their models) having something wrong with the headlamp reflectors? Considering we don't have the equivalent of consumer reports here in India, I feel like organizing these stories under each brand's name, could give the companies easier access to material being posted by enthusiasts who actually care enough to document or narrate their experiences, so that they get a real world idea about how to improve customer satisfaction and don't simply think that us Indians can be taken for a ride. Perhaps then we could do our bit to inspire these companies to better the industry at the consumer level rather than fiddle around with delusions of grandeur like "mote carlo edition" rapids or "NEXA" outlets.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 24th October 2017 at 02:29.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 02:18   #372
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to share this about dashcams much earlier but thought it'd be too OT.

It's 2 aspects actually,

First : The service centre is private property & recording within their property under any circumstances would require their permission.

In this case, they knew at the time of handing over as well as during "service", that there was a fully operational dashcam functioning & recording everything. Hence there's an implied permission that's been granted to record.
This is to say that recording is not illegal.

They can however claim that the property of the recorded video footage is not owned by the videographer. That's where the 2nd part comes.

Second : The interiors of your car are still your/ Car-Owners Private Property. Recording an external event using your personal camera, from within your private property with the knowledge & implied permission of the service center. This is to say that the property of the video-footage does belong to you.

Given these 2 above aspects, I believe they cannot sue you over the video footage.

Actually I initially thought Mandovi would rectify & make you upload another video of their "immediate action" with a narrative of reassurance to the customers etc. Especially for one whose video has gone viral & has the backing of thousands of educated people of a passionate automotive forum.

Instead, now they've taken a combative posture as if to bully a cheated customer.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 24th October 2017 at 02:20.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 02:48   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
First : The service centre is private property & recording within their property under any circumstances would require their permission.
reference please?
Quote:
They can however claim that the property of the recorded video footage is not owned by the videographer.
In what basis?
(of course, if one made a movie out of it, things would get a little more complex)

Quote:
I believe they cannot sue you over the video footage.
Is it your belief or your knowledge of law?

For all I know, you may be a professional advocate, or a even a judge: if you are, you will even better understand why am responding like this. Either way, please don't take offence, absolutely none is intended. It is just that, when I studied a small amount of law, I discovered that people who "know their rights" almost always don't, and that opinion and belief are of little use unless or until they are based on actual study and experience.

Hope GrammarNazi understands where LawNazi is coming from here!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 07:05   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
reference please?...
Something I assumed.

Quote:
In what basis?
(of course, if one made a movie out of it, things would get a little more complex)
Since the recording was of a place that was private property.

Example, last year I went to a marriage at a palace in Udaipur. The chargeable amount for shooting a commercial movie (/advert) was different from the marriage event. In both cases the events were recorded by professional videographers, but since the movie was a commercial venture, it was much more expensive & the management was quite particular about the sections of palace property that can be used & the ones that can't.

So, in the context of commercial use, as the OPs video did have an advert earlier, i.e. the video was monetized. Maybe it still is.

Quote:
Is it your belief or your knowledge of law?
Guessed based on my limited understanding of how things could be interpreted.

Quote:
Hope GrammarNazi understands where LawNazi is coming from here!
Not a lawyer.
I put up a certain interpretation of facts for scrutiny here. IMO if it made sense, OP could explore into it & not get sued for the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I think this is the answer to my question "Why don't cars come with dashcams as standard fitment?"...
Because many sensitive zones, like say dams, cannot be video recorded.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 24th October 2017 at 07:18.
Old 24th October 2017, 11:32   #375
BHPian

Just sharing my recent service experience at Tata service center in Kolkata. My car has a IVRM with a integrated dashcam.

At the time of delivery I found a big yellow star shaped sticker beside the camera. I didn't have the memory card installed and so it didn't record anything.

I guess it is for warning to their service people.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks