Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 15:14   #1
BHPian

Damaged Jeep Compass delivered by KHT Motors, Bangalore

Here is my bitter experience with Jeep Compass. This issue is escalated to Jeep as the Dealer KHT Motors is trying to wash off their hands after having delivered a damaged Jeep Compass.

Nov 16 2017:

* Compass Longitude O, delivered on Nov 16th with Chassis# MCAAJPBY8JFA08406AH came with damaged interior and we suspect repaint job.

* I did go for a Pre Delivery inspection (Nov 10) of the car (that in itself was an escalation as the sales person had switched off his phone after calling me over to the venue). The so called PDI was not useful, as it was already too late in the evening, all I could do was check the Odo for reading.

* This issue on interior damage is not apparent and so is the suspected re-paint job. Hence, this was reported after 3 hours from delivery of the said vehicle, over an email to the dealer.
- Bubbles on paint at multiple places were spotted by 3M care experts.

* After PDI and sharing the Purchase Order, dealer took 5 days to invoice (why 5 days while the vehicle was in stock ? )
All pointing to repair job done on vehicle before delivery. May be the interior damage from tools used by mechanics, a screw-driver perhaps.

* Bangalore dealer branch head at KHT (POC Madan) is refusing to accept they delivered a damage vehicle, citing the vehicle passed PDI.
Note: All tyres were under inflated at delivery (19 PSI) and there were light grease/black spots on roof fabric. So much for PDI.

Nov 23 2017:

* KHT (dealer) sends their service manager (Sharanappa) to my office for inspection. At my place he agree to replace the damaged door pad and also confirms the bubble on paint.
However, after couple of days he sent an email citing PDI passed hence cannot fix the damaged door. And also confirms that vehicle was not re-painted.
(then i guess the robots at jeep plant are the culprits ).
Not sure why KHT PDI passed a vehicle with bubbles on paint to be delivered.

Meanwhile I have emailed jeep support (service.india@fcagroup.com) asking for assistance. They made couple of followup calls ensuring a resolution, nothing happened till date.

For now, I have spent 22 lacs on a car:
1 - With Damaged door interior upon delivery – dealer refusing to fix.
2 - Bubbles on paint – Dealer has confirmed that it was not repainted. I will get Paint/coat depth test done.
3 - Subjected to a airbag recall, not safe for passenger until resolved.
4 - And no resolution yet from Jeep (will give them some time)

Is Jeep and its dealers expecting all buyers to scan every inch of vehicle during delivery? Certain spots on paint are not visible unless you show a expert or under proper lighting.

Accepting delivery of brand new Jeep was an exciting moment for us and we trusted the brand quality.

I wrote to Jeep service after getting no proper response from Dealer.

Things do go wrong, how you resolve or fix it, differentiates.

I will update this thread as it progresses, hoping Jeep to assist in quick resolution.

Last edited by SDP : 27th November 2017 at 16:38. Reason: Multiple typos. Please proof-read your posts before posting
deepakdsz is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 15:28   #2
BHPian

re: Damaged Jeep Compass delivered by KHT Motors, Bangalore

I think you should add photos to back up your claims.

-Just my 2p.
akshay380 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 15:47   #3
BHPian

Looks like dealer is the suspect here as overall feedback on quality of Jeep Compass has been good so far. Though they have a recalled few units due to faulty airbags, it is quite common across the brands (remember Takata episodes).

Continue following up with FCA till you get it fixed. Compass has been a success for them so far and they wouldn't want their dealers playing tricks.
yogesh.8984 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 16:05   #4
BHPian

Highlights the importance of a proper PDI before taking delivery of the vehicle. Lesson learnt for all of us in the forum.

Please follow up aggressively with FCA for a proper solution. Such dealers are common in our country and they should be punished for their act.
bnzjon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 18:01   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Damaged Jeep Compass delivered by KHT Motors, Bangalore

Just wish you'd done a proper PDI before delivery. A little effort before delivery saves a lot of headache later. Once delivery is taken (without any written confirmation of problems), it's basically your word against the dealers.

Please share more pictures highlighting all the problems. If you want this thread moved to the Assembly Line so that you can add them to the opening post, simply report this post with your request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I think you should add photos to back up your claims.
OP had shared one photo on the official review thread.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 18:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

These types of paint and body related repairs can be easily found out during PDI by a paint depth tester(cheaper ones cost around 6-15$ on aliexpress).

No way repaired paint will be as fine and thin as the OEM paint:

I recommend even this step in the PDI list.
Leoshashi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 18:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

So true. I had found similar damage in the brand new Nexon allotted to me. Rejected it and got another which was in transit. 4 hours spent on a thorough PDI was totally worth it. This kind of damage occurs at the dealer end as personnel tend to be careless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just wish you'd done a proper PDI before delivery
Sebring is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 18:50   #8
BHPian

Thank you, I did conduct PDI but there was a long gap from PDI day to delivery despite handing over all papers (for reasons not explained by the dealer).
>
Here is the latest as on 4 PM, Nov 27:
Fiat Customer Care head, Mr Kodalkar called me, they have arranged for an inspection of the vehicle at KHT workshop tomorrow, Nov 28th (hopefully Fiat Area Mgr will be there).
Here are the pics of bubbles and damage. Note there are similar more bubbles behind doors and rear bumper and roof. Per Blore dealer this came from Jeep factory and not repainted.
Thanks to 3M Care who spotted this within first 2 mins from seeing the vehicle !!

Damaged Jeep Compass delivered by KHT Motors, Bangalore-20171116_203621.jpg

Damaged Jeep Compass delivered by KHT Motors, Bangalore-20171123_161306.jpg

Damaged Jeep Compass delivered by KHT Motors, Bangalore-20171123_213348.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 View Post
Looks like dealer is the suspect here as overall feedback on quality of Jeep Compass has been good so far. Though they have a recalled few units due to faulty airbags, it is quite common across the brands (remember Takata episodes).

Continue following up with FCA till you get it fixed. Compass has been a success for them so far and they wouldn't want their dealers playing tricks.
Indeed.. Love the product, Its the Quality issues related to dealer. But when Dealer is washing their hands off.. have to know the manufacturer for support, has been promising so far, will reserve my comments until this case is closed.

Things do go wrong, how we fix it is the differentiator.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2017 at 08:06. Reason: Back to back posts merged
deepakdsz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 20:42   #9
Team-BHP Support

For a car and brand that aren't exactly mass market in India; nor with a huge sample size, two cars found to be delivered with repainted doors found isn't and shouldn't exactly be coincidence.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4302344

Good on Jeep to have set things right in the Pune; but if this reoccurs (with such alarming similarity), they have serious lapses in their setup. Someone clearly is dropping the ball: either the logistics guys and/or the mechanics+SA at the dealership.

Any damage and cover up at the dealer is beyond Fiat's control but the way they respond surely is. I told the Pune fellow that he has been a gentleman that Fiat doesn't deserve. I really hope Fiat is forced to pull up their socks. Very easy for us to say but don't settle with just a repaint.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 22:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

The repaint job can be identified easily at the edges of doors, bumper, and bonnet. During repainting, the unaffected areas are hidden from the paint job, bumpers or doors are normally not removed for such cover-up jobs. This leaves unfinished areas near the edges or sometimes paint drips. This can be easily identified. This is carried out outside and not inside paint booth, the paint layer is often thinner than the original paint and air bubbles appear after some time. I am sharing the photos from my own experience in 2014.

Hi, Deepak, bubbles appear after some time, so it is difficult to identify a repaint job during PDI. Were you allowed to see the interiors during PDI, if I am not wrong the damaged door panel is on the co-driver side? Did the dealer install any accessories, the damage to plastic panel seems to be from a screw-driver. Please post the photos of repainted areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Damaged Jeep Compass delivered by KHT Motors, Bangalore-bubbles.jpg  

Damaged Jeep Compass delivered by KHT Motors, Bangalore-repaint.jpg  

Last edited by SDP : 28th November 2017 at 14:18. Reason: merging back to back posts
deehunk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 12:40   #11
BHPian

Dear deepakdsz,

Please write your concern to Mr.Kevin Flynn, let him also know what is happening right under his nose. This was not expected from a vehicle costing 20L upwards and surely FCA or the dealer is at fault.

Mr.Mangesh Kodalkar is a helpful gentleman, at times he also raises hand and act hapless. I remember there was some issue with my Punto's warranty, he tried his best but couldn't do much, then i had to write to the top brass of FIAT, back then when it was headed by Mr. Nagesh Basavanahalli. Writing to him was real palliate and my issue was resolved within 48 hrs.
varoon9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 12:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
For a car and brand that aren't exactly mass market in India; nor with a huge sample size, two cars found to be delivered with repainted doors found isn't and shouldn't exactly be coincidence.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4302344

Good on Jeep to have set things right in the Pune; but if this reoccurs (with such alarming similarity), they have serious lapses in their setup. Someone clearly is dropping the ball: either the logistics guys and/or the mechanics+SA at the dealership.
Agreed.
At least in this particular case, this bubbles in paint issue looks like a case of poor Quality control and inspection on part of Fiat itself, rather than the dealership.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 28th November 2017 at 12:49.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 10:04   #13
BHPian

As on Nov 29 2017:

FCA replaced the damaged door interior pad. Thank YouFCA/Jeep
Airbag part was replaced as part of recall activity.

Open issues : Bubbles on Paint.

FCA Area Manager agreed there are dust specs on paint. Says could be within QC tolerance limit. He will investigate and submit his finding.

I do not believe a factory paint shop will cause dust or bubbles on a new car.

I do not think more than 2 bubbles or dust on paint at spots visible (not hidden) are acceptable on 22 lac car.

When i paid full On Road price of the car (not discounted), i do not want to compromise while other cars out there are perfect finish.
deepakdsz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 10:33   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdsz View Post

I do not think more than 2 bubbles or dust on paint at spots visible (not hidden) are acceptable on 22 lac car.
Take that with a truck load of salt. Factory paint booth are dust and humidity controlled. It cant have such kind of finish and have a QC to pass it.

Since this can be repaired, ensure it is repainted properly FoC and get an additional warranty for the paint apart from the standard warranty.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 11:07   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdsz View Post
FCA Area Manager agreed there are dust specs on paint. Says could be within QC tolerance limit. He will investigate and submit his finding.

When i paid full On Road price of the car (not discounted), i do not want to compromise while other cars out there are perfect finish.
You should expect a door replacement. Nothing less. Fiat has done that in Pune. A repaint at the dealer level will never match factory quality.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed