Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Old 2nd December 2017, 14:18   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Landmark Jeep staff beat up a customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is NOT journalism - they are merely part of a news distribution network. Big difference between the two.

Totally agree. Part of the package are big car launches on an exotic Greek Island, Dom Perignon flowing and the works, this mixture somehow makes an average car a great one to 98% of the world.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 2nd December 2017 at 14:20.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 14:38   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Landmark Jeep staff beat up a customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
... a better customer engagement strategy!
That could so easily become management-speak for boxing lessons! Memo to staff, if you are going to hit someone, do it properly and knock them out first time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If the owner's friend shot the video, why only this part ?
That's understandable: nobody would have thought to video until things had got hot already.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:52   #78
BHPian

While I completely agree with the unanimous opinion that this is an unpardonable offence, I want to point out that India needs a change in consumer behavior too. In general there's just no respect for fellow human beings especially those belonging to a lower income class. But then this is too broad a topic to be discussed here.

Look deeply in to our forum, and we can find umpteen instances where members unnecessarily humiliate the sales or service people for their lack of knowledge. Many even make fun of the sales and services people saying they adress us as "Saaaaaaar" and not "Sir". And this is coming from a well educated section of the society who calls themselves the best breed of auto enthusiasts in the country ! It's absolutely perfect to be critical, but let's not humiliate.
xjosephjacob is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 10:56   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
As an alternate point of view if I see somebody in shabby dress wearing a slipper, I would rather think that person as a cleaner/janitor at the most.
Sir, please read "The*Fortune at the Bottom*of the Pyramid" by Jagdish Natwarlal Bhagwati, an MIT Professor. If the business is stuck up with conservative cliche, it is bound to wind up its shop. I don't want the dealership to evaluate me based on my looks.

I was on my way to the Tata Dealership to shop for Hexa recently. The car I was driving, a 12 year old Santro had to be pulled aside and the front tyre changed. The sweltering heat, dust and the rubber soot on my white shirt and the unkempt hair made me look like a jugad mechanic. Despite this I was welcomed and the young SA was absolutely non judgemental. We connected and developed an instant bond. It is this human touch that makes the business rise or fall. Oh! I forgot to mention, I was wearing the lowely chappals too
doxinboy is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:53   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Sir, please read "The*Fortune at the Bottom*of the Pyramid" by Jagdish Natwarlal Bhagwati, an MIT Professor.

1.I don't consider chappal as lowely
2.I do treat people humanely irrespective of looks
3.What I am saying is its the general human tendency to value things higher if it is neat and good looking. A regular sales person with a moderate salary and qualification does not have that wisdom to treat things equally.
4.If looks and tidiness are not important we won't dedicate entire threads to the external/dashboard appearance of the cars.
5.As we expect the moderate salesman not to be judgemental, the wise heads of this forum also need to be non judgemental about the dealership, based on the fact that they refused test drive for somebody wearing slippers.
Note : I am a doctor and there was an incident where I had to medically intervene to save somebody while jogging on the roads. I was wearing shorts/tshirt, which was sweaty and wet. On arrival the family of the person who was treated by me were searching for the doctor who saved him ignoring me as a passerby. Thats' why i say it is a human tendency to give more value to looks at first instance and hence the grooming sessions all over the corporate world.

I apologise to the moderators. I wont post regarding this issue in this thread anymore.

Last edited by aadya : 3rd December 2017 at 11:55. Reason: spelling
aadya is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 14:29   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
... ... ... Look deeply in to our forum, and we can find umpteen instances where members unnecessarily humiliate the sales or service people for their lack of knowledge. Many even make fun of the sales and services people saying they adress us as "Saaaaaaar" and not "Sir". And this is coming from a well educated section of the society who calls themselves the best breed of auto enthusiasts in the country ! It's absolutely perfect to be critical, but let's not humiliate.
The mockery is aimed at the motor-sales culture more than at the individual, but, in so far as it is aimed at the individual, it is because the person has neither the professional nor the the personal pride to inform themselves about the product they are selling, and then it is deserved. I have no time for the open-mouth-make-noise method of selling. I have no time for the employer or the employee.

Quote:
I apologise to the moderators. I wont post regarding this issue in this thread anymore.
Please do not take it personally! True I have no time for a salesman who will judge me on my cheap footware and behave accordingly, but it is true, as per your own experience, that this is common human behaviour. The thing is... let us not pander to it and help to perpetuate it.

Laughter is a fairly gentle weapon against prejudice, but it can be effective.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 14:58   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
That's the law, you cannot use abusive language. No matter how shitty the service center has been you don't abuse the staff. At all. Any grievances should be taken in the legal route.
I am unaware of any such law. Please do share the link or details.

From the details that have been shared, the customer did not raise his hand at any of the showroom staff. He was verbally abusive. While some are quick to give the showroom staff the benefit of the doubt, customers don't usually walk into showrooms and start abusing staff without reason. Nothing in Landmark's official statement suggests that I should trust it either, because they haven't mentioned any cause for the customer to be aggrieved in the first place. Hence I am more likely to believe that the customer was troubled by disservice, voiced his opinion - possibly in an inappropriately loud manner - and then was beaten up by staff.

The customer didn't raise his hands. He cannot be held at fault for being beaten up - that's the law.
VeluM is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 17:33   #83
BHPian

Utterly discgraceful attitude from the dealership. No way they can take things in their own hands. Even if customer was at fault, there are more polite ways of sorting the issues out.
Hitting somebody in broad day light , Not acceptable at all.
behaln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 23:09   #84
BHPian

This is sad and very disturbing. Irrespective of who is at fault, how can physical abuse be justified? A customer expects a premium service after paying 20 big ones and with more expectation, magnitude of disappointment shots up. That could have triggered verbal abuse by customer but again that is not justified and should have been dealt to in a matured way.

I agree to a section of opinion that the customers have taken the phrase “customer is king” more seriously and have become bossy and cocky in most of the cases. Having said that lot of customers walk out with great satisfaction if business is carried out as per expectation or beyond expectations. I would tend to agree that customers are more reasonable and only reacts upon a chance but how they react is what yields different results.

What we forget in all these rush and mess is that we are all human beings and everyone is a customer to someone. Only if each and everyone can understand true meaning of humanity a little and also understand that if everybody just focus on improving their own service, we all will be contributing towards a better world.

Coming back to this case, irrespective of what happened the rep in question should be terminated, dealer to be penalized and, maybe, compensate the customer in question by someway with an apology ofcourse.
mudhasir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2017, 23:15   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Bhpian or not, I think you should atleast wear a decent pair of sandals, shoes or sneakers when you head out to a car showroom.
Quote:
Casual is the new cool. I wouldn't hesitate in wearing slippers if visiting a showroom over a weekend.
Quote:
But how a clerk or sales assistant gonna have a first impression whether they are possible customer or a meandering unemployed looking for passing some time and end up damaging something or driving away other probable customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Is the 'no slipper' policy dictated by the dealer or by the manufacturer? or is it a judgement passed by the sales advisor?
For good heaven's sake they are a car dealership, not a fine dine restaurant
Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Slippers are not at all a problem unless they are dirty with mud and tar. It is the latest cool fashion in town which is comfortable on weekend getaways. In short you should look neat and tidy in whatever attire you wear be it casual or formal.
Even our honorable CM of Delhi can be seen promoting Slippers.
(A little OT, but had to post this!)

That's a lot of discussion about what to wear when visiting a car dealership, and more importantly if or not to wear a slipper.

Shouldn't the sales associate not be judgmental and do his job? Even if the customer may not be in a position to buy the car today (financially or otherwise), a good dealership experience would definitely inspire confidence in the brand and it's likely for the same person to come back when he actually plans to buy.

I found this video's message quite apt (although it's a bit over the top!)

Last edited by nerd1200 : 3rd December 2017 at 23:19.
nerd1200 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 07:34   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Casual is the new cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Shouldn't matter, especially for a car showroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
That is odd.
Casual is the new cool alright. No denying that. Slippers most definitely isn't. Not to me atleast.

Yes; the customer is king and a celebrity can walk into a car show room even bare foot and they'll still be accepted with open arms.

I never said anything about refusing to hand over the keys to a potential customer at my showroom. It is what I think of the customer. That first meeting. I feel one's attire says a lot about the person. You really need to place yourself as a Sales Person to understand what I am trying to say.

It is important that you present yourself well anywhere you go as it makes a big difference. Wearing decent foot wear is one of those things. You folks may have a different view on this and that is fine.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 11:47   #87
Senior - BHPian

1. The customer was in pain for non-cooperation from the dealership / its authorized service outlet - The dealership is at fault

2. The situation @ dealership is one to many where customer was alone (as can be seen) whereas dealer staff was in majority; They could have handled the situation easily without physical assault - The dealership is at fault

3. The dealer is not releasing its own CCTV footage, which should be very much available with them and presenting their side of story without substantiating it - The dealership is at fault

4. There is a mention about police complaint and apology from the customer; the dealer / large businesses in general manage their relationship with local police station for the purpose of business activities and also to the effect that they use public spaces for parking and events at regular intervals, on the other hand customer generally does not possess any such contact or relationship; what happened inside the police station that made customer apologies could be anybodies guess - The dealership is at fault

The customer could have been made to apologies as his car was in custody of the dealership - The dealership is at fault

No reason what so ever warrant a majority to physically assault a single person as the incident was not among equals. The service sector is going down to new levels !

This is unethical and sick.

Last edited by i74js : 4th December 2017 at 11:48.
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 12:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Dealerships are literally on a roll (downwards).

Two instances of repainted/botched paint jobs.
And then beating up of a customer?
abhishek46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 13:51   #89
BHPian

Exactly the situation we "Role play" when I conduct training workshops for quite a few companies on " Handling Difficult People". Especially Front line staff who are in direct contact with the customer. Having done these workshops for quite a few companies which includes an automobile company too, I start by emphasizing that there are no "Difficult people" in this planet, there are only "Different People". Handling people is an Art and a Science, especially customers. An art because of the way our late President Dr. APJ would handle people and two years of watching him at close quarters was a treat, Science because people should be trained scientifically in handling other human beings just the way they would be trained in handling automobiles effectively!
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 17:35   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I am unaware of any such law. Please do share the link or details.

From the details that have been shared, the customer did not raise his hand at any of the showroom staff. He was verbally abusive.
Since you don't disagree with the bold part, I would oblige.

A simple google search for "law against verbal abuse in india" throws up some results;

Cases can be filed under sections 504 and 506;

From Quora

Quote:
IPC 504. Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace.—Whoever intentionally insults, and thereby gives provoca*tion to any person, intending or knowing it to be likely that such provocation will cause him to break the public peace, or to commit any other offence, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both.

IPC 506. Punishment for criminal intimidation.—Whoever commits, the offence of criminal intimidation shall be punished with imprison*ment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both; If threat be to cause death or grievous hurt, etc.—And if the threat be to cause death or grievous hurt, or to cause the destruction of any property by fire, or to cause an offence punishable with death or 1[imprisonment for life], or with imprisonment for a term which may extend to seven years, or to impute, unchastity to a woman, shall be punished with imprison*ment of either description for a term which may extend to seven years, or with fine, or with both.
Other links

https://www.kaanoon.com/32349/verbal-abuse

https://indiankanoon.org/search/?formInput=insult

http://www.lawyersclubindia.com/expe...me--229646.asp

To summarize if irrefutable evidence of the said act is provided the person can be booked under relevant sections.

Qualified lawyers in the forum, please comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
The customer didn't raise his hands. He cannot be held at fault for being beaten up - that's the law.

The reason I'm pointing out this law is not to justify him getting beaten up. There are many frauds who hide behind these laws. They defraud you off your money or other stuff in a very formal manner by gaining your trust and when you lose your temper and get abusive you'll end up visiting police stations making your life even more miserable. Its better not encouraging people to have such experiences in life.

Even here the service centre (or lack of it) being clearly the one to blame, they could have given a hard time (other than the hard slaps) to the customer if they wanted to be arrogant about it.
400notout is offline   Reply With Quote