Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 20:16   #46
BHPian

Re: Samara Automax Honda, Mayapuri - Service scam (unbelievable extras)

Even if you take the dropping off and car delivered back to doorstep, the service is worth about 400 (few dealerships, including certain Toyota ones offer this).

However, think of this as your personal car expert who will ensure that oil is actually changed, brake pads actually changed/scrubbed, fluids actually replaced, wheel alignment done if charged, and so on
vivekrvcse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 22:10   #47
BHPian

Recently, one of my cousin's took his 14 Bio to Metro Honda Hyderabad as it stalled. They told him that the alternator is gone & it would cost him about 66k for a replacement but they can do a local repair for 7K. All they did was replace the carbon bushes by the time I found that the new alternator cost is 11K. Finally they settled the bill for 3.5K
Old 11th January 2018, 22:13   #48
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki dealers are behaving same way. I sent my WagonR today to Fairdeal, Noida as it has a rear shocker leak which was supposed to be changed under warranty. They refused to change it until I get the service done as per them which was costing around Rs. 9000. Most of the items were there just to make money other than actual service items. I asked them to give me in writing that they will not change my shocker without service and recorded the voice conversation also. I told them that I am sending this to Maruti then only they changed it.
Its same across Honda, Suzuki and Hyundai as per my experience. Can not comment about others.
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 22:49   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Mayuresh for sharing!

Quote:
While going through the Honda servicing scam thread, I realized that even I got fleeced to some extent. Though, I skipped the A/C disinfectant, I now realized that many things added to the bill were not required. Time was money then, so I didn't scrutinize at that time.

Even in my case, labour charges were much more - 1.5 times higher than parts.

This might help other Hyundai owners to be aware while dealing with Kothari Hyundai. My previous services were at Ishanya Hyundai. The salesperson tried to add, but didn't push so that was a much better experience.
Samara Automax Honda, Mayapuri - Service scam (unbelievable extras)-hyundai_servicing_1.jpg

Samara Automax Honda, Mayapuri - Service scam (unbelievable extras)-hyundai_servicing_2.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 22:58   #50
BHPian

Another Japanese giant bites the dust.

One thing that Japanese don't like is someone doubting their honesty.

Do write to Honda India and most probably the issue will be addressed to your satisfaction. Sometimes you might have to wait, wait frustratingly to get results, or you might not get any at all.

If you can somehow ignore the loss, take it as a lesson learnt and move on, be wise next time.

I have experience from Toyota, and they don't like being rubbed on the wrong side. A complaint to Toyota India is taken seriously and addressed to customers' satisfaction. I had a bad experience at one of my regular service centres and they tried to shrug off their responsibility, one mail to Toyota India with genuine facts, and their customer care manager came to my place to apologise and schedule an appointment to set right what they did wrong. What I did was, quoted their 'Quality Revolution' slogan to make them realise how bad the quality of the service was. It was like I rubbed salt on their wounds

Suzuki is in another league altogether for cheating their customers, they rely on their regional managers to sort things out and more often than not, these managers are hand in glove with the stealerships. The experience was frustrating even though my complaint was genuine. Suzuki has the largest market share not because their cars are good, it's because the mass market customers are ill- informed. They steal a penny a time and poor customers don't even know they are being taken for a ride. Suzuki India managers can't be reached at all.

Honestly these authorised service centres are not an extension of the parent company but individuals, and they work according to their own whims and fancies to make maximum profits. Very few authorised service centres maintain the quality standards set by the parent company.

Cheers.
Brumby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 01:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Silencer clean and coating (?) Not even sure what is this now.
I'll admit that the dealers sure are pulling a fast one where ever they can but I still need to ask if consumers are also turning brain dead, saying Yes to everything and without listening to what the service attendant is saying.

When I read silencer cleaning, the first thing that went through my head was my mechanic cleaning the exhaust pipe on my Yezdi's. No jokes. This was the real deal. They tied a cotton rag and shove it in with a rod to get all the gunk out. Resulted in a better running engine and a cleaner exhaust note. Almost the same way a traditional Enfield mechanic cleans the oil chamber on a cast iron engine. To think that a modern day car would require the above is hilarious.

Fuel Tank cleaning was even more interesting. Drop a lot of nuts and bolts in the fuel tank and shake it as hard as you can so it hits every corner and knocks out all the rust on the inside.

I do not understand why dealer have this "we must loot customers" moto. With the way news can spread these days, you could end up killing your business.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 12th January 2018 at 01:52.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 10:29   #52
BHPian

It is because of the issue faced by the OP's friend that I go with my car when it goes for service. I've been laughed at by my friends and some relatives for doing so, but it in the end I know whats going on with the car and what they're doing to it. Since the service advisers and technicians know I'm in the premises, they contact me if there's some major repair work to be done on the car. I can always walk over and inspect.

IMHO, I think this fleecing has been in existence for a long time. My brother-in-law got his Santro serviced at a Hyundai service center and he opted for a new set of tires. When the bill came, he paid for it and came home. I reviewed the bill and saw a jaw dropping Rs. 600 per tire as fitting charge. Thats Rs. 2400 for four tires. It would have cost him virtually nothing if he got the tires changed outside. Maybe a Rs. 100 tip for the guy who fit the tires would have been his maximum spend outside of the tire cost.
jensjoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 10:41   #53
BHPian

A trusted local mechanic is far better than these service centers, at least for cars which dont have complex mechanicals. Only flip side is that your car wont have a service history which would be useful when you sell the car.
Old 12th January 2018, 10:54   #54
BHPian

This article reminds me of the following two instances:

1. Sundaram Honda in Secunderabad billed me for AC compressor cleaning and battery distilled water and battery maintenance. Casually, I asked if compressor cleaning involved opening the compressor unit and cleaning it inside out, they said yes. And yes, the distilled water part - the battery was maintenance-free, did not vent gas, and did not have removable caps. No clue what "maintenance" was carried out on such a battery.

Needless to say, I never went back, choosing to source materials myself and get servicing carried out at a FNG, with everything done right in front of me.

2. Most recently, for the first service of my Nissan Sunny, the service advisor recommended an "engine care package". What basically would be some cleaning of the engine bay was being marketed as a highly recommended item since it would improve mileage and reduce sound.

BAH!
arnieshwartz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 11:53   #55
BHPian

I have also started to avoid Honda dealership once the car was out of warranty.
I now give the car to a service center by the name Carsmith. I have used their service thrice and the work seems reasonable along with the bill. My only point of contention was the Oil. He suggested an Oil different from one mentioned by Honda. I think for the Brio Carmith used 15W40 as against 0W20 as recommended by Honda.
Cost were reasonable, for the last service including oil it was less than 5K
Old 12th January 2018, 12:57   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Kiranmoy View Post
My wife drives a Brio which was bought from Samara Automax Honda, Mayapuri and is regularly serviced there since last 3 years. Few months back the engine temperature light went on after 15 days of the car getting serviced. My wife took the car to Samara Honda where a choked radiator was given a reason after 'thoroughly checking' the car for 2 hours. A radiator replacement was advised as Honda doesn't recommend radiator cleaning. The cost - approximately Rs.6000. I asked my wife to get the car to a known local mechanic for a second opinion. When the radiator drain plug was opened, only water came out which I promptly videographed. I immediately called up the Service Manager and enquired as to how a car that was serviced 15 days back did not have a single drop of coolant!. Furthermore, how did they diagnose a blocked radiator without knowing about the coolant issue?. The Manager initially tried to argue with me but backed off when I threatened to send the video to Honda! He immediately changed his tone and sent to mechanics with complementary coolant replacements. He apologised as well. Had I not intervened they would have easily conned my wife into replacing the radiator!
That's horrible! Did you write to Honda about these issues? Seems like the dealership is a serial cheat! My friend got off lightly now, it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
Do write to Honda India and most probably the issue will be addressed to your satisfaction. Sometimes you might have to wait, wait frustratingly to get results, or you might not get any at all.
Yes, he has written to Honda and waiting to hear from them. Thing is, he was considering the City as an upgrade but wants to see how responsive the company is for a consumer, before putting more money on them.

UPDATE:
Meanwhile, Samara Automax Honda wants my friend to take this thread down with a petty return of 3-4k as a "resolution". Thoughts welcome.

I personally feel, there is no point in accepting the refund. Money is lost, but the awareness this created can help many other people who were trusting Honda eyes closed.

As for his closure, maybe someone from Honda can speak and bring him back in confidence about what they are doing to stop such malpractices.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 13:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:
Meanwhile, Samara Automax Honda wants my friend to take this thread down with a petty return of 3-4k as a "resolution". Thoughts welcome.

I personally feel, there is no point in accepting the refund. Money is lost, but the awareness this created can help many other people who were trusting Honda eyes closed.

As for his closure, maybe someone from Honda can speak and bring him back in confidence about what they are doing to stop such malpractices.
Taking down this thread is not an option! Let it be out there for people to know about it. Let them also bear the brunt of their deeds.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 13:19   #58
BHPian

Quote:

I don't think accepting an refund and taking down the thread is the option to go. Based on the last 4 pages of this thread, alot of other people have similar experiences with this dealership. Such scamsters should be brought out in public so that they suffer much more than the 3-4k refund they are offering your friend.
ferrarirules is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 14:03   #59
BHPian

For all the brickbats thrown as Mahindra, I have always had fantastic service at Sahyadri SVC in Pune. The service managers are knowledgeable and not once has anyone tried to to sell me any nonsense.
As a matter of fact, I had to once give in writing that I wanted oil change for my Scorpio! Mahindra does not recommend oil change for each service and the SA informed me that they only follow the manual list and any such request has to be in writing by the customer!
Old 12th January 2018, 14:25   #60
BHPian

This thread has really been an eyeopener. I own a Honda Brio 2013 AT model and have got it regularly serviced from Ring Road Honda, Moti Nagar. This thread prompted me to go back and look at my service bills. The following extras have been billed to me over the years by Ring Road Honda from second service onward:

Second service:
Lubrication + Scanning - Sublet work : Rs 1629/-

Third service:
HL Clean - Sublet work: Rs.702/-

Fourth Service:
Brake Clean - General Repair: Rs.702/-

Fifth Service:
Throttle Body Clean - Rs.347/-

Sixth Service:
Air Induction Line Clean - Motor Care Treatment - Rs.2101/-
Brake Clean - FOC
HLC - Rs.858/-
TB Clean - Rs.458/-

Seventh Service:
Brake O/H- FOC
TB Clean - Rs.782/-

Eighth Service:
Brake Clean - FOC
Honda Diagnostic Scanning - Rs.448/-
RSA - Sublet work for machining jobs - Rs.1843/-
TB Clean - FOC

That is a total of approx 10k over a 4 year period. I realize now that what a fool I have been to accept the SA's pushing saying that these are necessary for normal running of the car. I want the car to be trouble free as my wife drives it and more so as it is an automatic variant so I tend to go with the SA's advise.

Further in the last service I had a fight with the SA as well because I had provided him a free coupon for interior dry cleaning. When the car was returned to me, even a simple food stain was not removed from the rear seat. The stain was then removed using a plain wet cloth, so I was furious as it was evident that no dry cleaning was done. He was ready to offer me a free dry cleaning coupon for the next service as well, which I refused saying that next time also, it will just be an entry in the bill without any work done.

I am really apprehensive about whether they even carry out the requisite work which we are billed for. I am pretty sure that none of the works billed as FOC detailed above were ever carried out.

What can be a solution to this problem? An average person like me who does not have too much knowledge on the maintenance required for keeping a car in prime condition will generally depend on the so thought "reliable" SA, who have been plainly misleading the customer.

Maruti isn't any better, I own an S-Cross as well which is regularly service at Company owned Service Station at Naraina. There also I have witnessed these extra service being pushed to customers. Further, I have tried to be with the car while service is being carried out at both Maruti and Honda ASS to see what they actually do the work or not and they have pushed hard to get me out from the service area, with a reminder every 10 mins. They do not allow us to monitor the car, even if we want to and have never allowed me to be in the service area for the entire duration even if I want to. I have taken days off specially from work to get the car serviced, but in vain.

I am now searching for a good FNG in Delhi who can carry out servicing of AT Brio and S-Cross (post warranty) including sourcing genuine parts as I am a novice and will not be able to source the best parts.

Suggestions welcome.
abhinavb is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed