Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 13:39   #31
BHPian

Re: Samara Automax Honda, Mayapuri - Service scam (unbelievable extras)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
the SA there started to try to sell me "wheel alignment" for the scooter. When I asked him where is your wheel alignment equipment, he said someone from outside comes and does it for the service centre. This is a Rs.300 service which is pretty useless since you have no way of knowing whether it is done or not and I have never heard of wheel balancing for an Activa. The only time "wheel truing" is required is when the fork has probably bent and in which case it is a serious problem.
Although off topic for this thread, but sharing a reply as it's relevant to your post. IMHO there simply cannot be something like a "wheel alignment" for a scooter. "Wheel truing" also can only be related to a rim seriously bent out of shape, but then it makes more sense to buy a new one.

I have learnt the hard way that it makes no sense to go for the "authorized" service route, gave it up within a few months of buying once i was relatively sure the engine was OK. Just be regular about your oil and filter changes if you're not thrashing your scooter around.
//HB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 13:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Nothing new actually, Crystal Honda Pune also tried the same thing with me, charged 115 rupees for a bottle of windshield washer fluid and 500 Rupees for AC disinfectant. I made a hue and cry about it at the service center when I went to receive my car, so they gave me a bottle of windshield fluid and sprayed another bottle on 3M disinfectant right in front of me without any extra charges !
If they really had done the same tasks earlier, they would have fought with me, as no one would give a 700 Rs service free again.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 13:43   #33
BHPian

I have faced this menace at both Mahindra & Maruti service centers in Bangalore.
Recently for my 40K XUV service, the usual up selling was tried - Wiper replacement, Brake pad replacement, AC cleaning. All these after telling the Service Adviser to only do only what is specified in manual and not try to inflate the bill.
I also placed a complaint to the AGM. But I feel all of them are hand in glove with these practices in order to boost revenue.

Regards,
Rajat
Old 11th January 2018, 13:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
Brake pad replacement
In such case, I ask them to get fresh pair of pads and I visually compare with one mounted in car, evaluate amount of wear before saying outright No.
Old 11th January 2018, 13:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Wow! A new low for Honda dealerships as well. BTW, here's what I think VW adds as an extra in their service bills:

- A/C Disinfectant - Don't know if other manufacturers resort to this but VW charges 900+ for this job, which only involves spraying a can of foaming agent into the vents. Funny thing is that the can itself costs Rs. 900 or less on Amazon

- Lock cylinder lubrication- Another daylight robbery. 800+ for this job. Again, spraying a can of lubricant into the door locks. Not needed at all as far as the system works fine
If I recall, VW used to have a list of items you had to do each service on their website and lock cylinder lubrication was one of them. The AC disinfection, on the other hand, is a dealer level thing but indeed, I get asked if I want it done every time.
Old 11th January 2018, 14:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Just the usual stuff. An uneducated customer gets fleeced everywhere, isn't so?
A similar incident occurred to me about 4 years ago. Had taken Activa for usual service and Advisor told me front fender needs to re-aligned. I told him there is no any visible damage and haven't seen issues. He told it wont happen normally, when you are going over speed breaker/potholes, the tire will touch the fender and If you don't do, it might lead to accident. I told, sounds serious , Now since there are no visible damage, please do it under warranty. Expression on his face was worth a Million! He told, actually its fine, only if you are driving very high speed, you might have issues, else fine.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 15:40   #37
BHPian

Every service center, be it Maruti or Honda or Skoda, everyone has started to inflate service bills mainly due to the wafer thin margins in dealership business. An uninformed customer is forced to believe some unnecessary services as absolute necessary by the SAs. Most probably, a variable salary component of the SA is linked to the billing amount.
These days Maruti SAs add windscreen washer fluid (cost Rs. 30) and headache inducing car perfume (cost ~Rs. 300) without even asking and put it in the final bill.
subhro1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 16:12   #38
BANNED

..and we blame our politicians and govt. officials for corruption. I always say it is the common man of this country who is dishonest. Dishonesty has become a trait of our people. Honest is only one- who didn't get a chance to do corruption. Its always easy to point fingers at others, but we never see within. Everybody do dishonest things based upon what powers we have. Myself included, i sometimes break the queue of cars on a red light/level crossing and get to the front to save time. Am dishonest, am sure many of you do the same. I try to save tax by showing fake rent receipts, am sure many of you do the same. This whole subcontinent is full of dishonest people. But, some are honest too. Sorry for too much gyan.
chaudh2s is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 18:14   #39
BHPian

When I wasn’t in the country one time, my dad gave his Alto800 Vxi to MASS for its 10,000 km service. Bill came out to be 9000/-. 2250 for parts and 6750 for labour

Had a similar experience with our old Astar too.

That was the last time our cars ever go to the ASS, FNG it is.

My Verna which I get it serviced at my FNG doesn’t cost me above 4500/- and they gave an estimate of 9000 for an Alto and people say Maruti is the cheapest car to run and maintain.

Maruti guys are the biggest crooks in the business.
drhoneycake is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 18:26   #40
BHPian

Folks in Bangalore can try out Wheels Wisdom

They charge 2k to take your car to the service centre, get it serviced / repaired and drop it back. Have had good experience (touchwood) till date with my car

I believe they don't take any money from dealerships / AS*, so I was happy to pay them 2k. Their service advisor called me the previous day, took down all complaints about the car, and I also told him to make sure no germi clean, no AC cleaning etc is carried out. The job was done as per my requirement, and I didn't have to waste a day. Sent me multiple photos relating to the problem

*adding
Their Service Advisor appeared knowledgeable, and said that he was working at a dealership before he joined Wheels Aisdom

Last edited by vivekrvcse : 11th January 2018 at 18:28. Reason: *adding
vivekrvcse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 19:36   #41
BHPian

Aah! my favorite topic. The same scam would have happened with me also. I went for my 40000 Kms service at Classic Honda in Faridabad. The dealer gave me an overall estimate of around 12000. When inquired, he said all the above things to me. I simply pulled my service booklet and asked him one simple question. Does Honda know more about his car or the dealer? He replied back saying that it was the the Honda. My second question was if it is written in the service booklet? He again replied back saying that these are the value added services that Honda is offering. The again i thew it back to him asking about the advantages to which he replied back with some very confusing answers. My next step was calling up Honda care and blasting them for these money minting techniques.

Another hour or so, i kept on receiving calls from the dealership(the service advisor, customer care of dealership & the service manager) and they kept on giving all stupid reasons and explanations. Total bill stood at 6300.

Today i got my 50000 service done. Total bill stood at 4105 only. They do remember me that i had complained hence no value added services were offered to me. This is not only with Honda but with all other Car manufacturers also. They try to extort money through different means like injectors cleaning, throttle body cleaning, synthetic oil. They will even try to scare you away saying that the car may not perform properly if those value added services are not done to your beautiful vehicle.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 19:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
Folks in Bangalore can try out Wheels Wisdom

They charge 2k to take your car to the service centre, get it serviced / repaired and drop it back. Have had good experience (touchwood) till date with my car
2K for dropping off the Car at the dealership!!
Isn't that totally exorbitant?

In the days of Ola/Uber, we can drive ourselves to SVC and then take an cab out to office, and back again to the SVC in the evening (500 bucks at most).
Old 11th January 2018, 19:56   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Isn't that totally exorbitant?

In the days of Ola/Uber, we can drive ourselves to SVC and then take an cab out to office, and back again to the SVC in the evening (500 bucks at most).
It's more than a simple drop/pickup. Already being discussed here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 19:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Isn't that totally exorbitant?...
It isn't just a pick and drop service. Please go through the following thread to know more about Wheels Wisdom.

Last edited by dailydriver : 11th January 2018 at 20:02.
Old 11th January 2018, 20:10   #45

My wife drives a Brio which was bought from Samara Automax Honda, Mayapuri and is regularly serviced there since last 3 years. Few months back the engine temperature light went on after 15 days of the car getting serviced. My wife took the car to Samara Honda where a choked radiator was given a reason after 'thoroughly checking' the car for 2 hours. A radiator replacement was advised as Honda doesn't recommend radiator cleaning. The cost - approximately Rs.6000. I asked my wife to get the car to a known local mechanic for a second opinion. When the radiator drain plug was opened, only water came out which I promptly videographed. I immediately called up the Service Manager and enquired as to how a car that was serviced 15 days back did not have a single drop of coolant!. Furthermore, how did they diagnose a blocked radiator without knowing about the coolant issue?. The Manager initially tried to argue with me but backed off when I threatened to send the video to Honda! He immediately changed his tone and sent to mechanics with complementary coolant replacements. He apologised as well. Had I not intervened they would have easily conned my wife into replacing the radiator!
Dr.Kiranmoy is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks