Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2018, 19:37   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: I paid for green Duster, dealer delivered an orange one. EDIT: I won the court case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetaWatt View Post
With all the other Renault showroom in Bengaluru being owned by Trident, going to other dealer was not an option.
We're spoilt for choice today. Either:

1. You could have refused delivery & waited for the right colour. The Duster is no hot seller anymore and Renault dealers are desperate for sales (especially since the Captur has bombed).

2. Gone to a competitor.

3. Chosen the 'other Duster' that looks like:

Quote:
I was worried about my wife and our baby that we saw live during the scan.
But bringing home a 15 lakh rupee product that you won't be happy with will only aggravate the stress. Rent a self-drive car from Zoom Car, Myles etc. if the situation was so dire!

I still don't believe that anyone or anything forced you into taking delivery of a car you didn't want. You could have simply refused and waited a bit for the right 'green' colour, or gone for another car. Just the fact that you accepted delivery tells me there is simply no case here. This is a rare time that I'll side up with the manufacturer / dealer.

Last edited by GTO : 9th February 2018 at 20:03.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 20:14   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: I paid for green Duster, dealer delivered an orange one. EDIT: I won the court case!

Forcing a customer to book urgently when an actual car may not be available (for whatever reason) is one of the oldest tricks in the dealer book. What usually follows is pressure to pay in full to 'block' car, which a lot of trusting customers fall prey to as they expect a level of integrity in return for handing over their hard-earned money. Once money changes hands, the customer has no real leverage, so exercising caution is well-advised, as is taking a third-party along who can provide an impartial view a justifiably excited buyer may overlook.

Others have already commented on the legal aspect of the case - or the lack of one - so I'll just say (and no offence intended), it's always best to leave oneself some buffer in big transactions that one cannot easily undo/let go, esp. when under emotional duress (concern for wife & baby's well-being in your case) so one doesn't get boxed into an unpleasant situation.

Can empathize with you, but you should probably account for the real possibility that nothing can be done now, and get on with enjoying your car. We all get asked for color choices, consider this your 2nd preference

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th February 2018 at 20:17.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 20:31   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Keeping emotions aside, what amount are we looking at as penalty offered by the court IF it rules in your favour? I am not sure but will it be more than a few thousand? You will probably waste more time and energy on this than that penalty amount. But I do understand that sometime our emotions get the better of us and in this case you have taken it upon yourself to teach these people a lesson. I sincerely wish you all the best in this endeavour and hopefully you can also club the Insurance fraud in your current case.

This aside, why don't you get your car wrapped or repainted to a colour of your choice if the you were so keen on a particular colour?
drmohitg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 22:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault shows its true colours: I wanted a green Duster, but ended up with an orange Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
This makes me think one of 2 things happened.
  1. There was no Green Duster in the first place. The Sales Girl made it up since it was clear you would book immediately. The 'system down' excuse ensured that she need not have to give the VIN.
  2. The system down was genuine and since the vehicle was in the Chennai yard, by the time the sales girl was able to block it for you, some other dealer had blocked it.

If this was already blocked by this dealer, I see no reason for them to sell to someone else (Unless someone influential wanted one urgently- Seems a little unlikely). I believe point 1 has more chances. It seems hard to believe that for a booking placed on 23rd, they would be able to get the car from the Chennai plant and deliver it to you on 28th. Especially considering 24th was a Sunday.

The sales activity is controlled by a cluster head kind of a person who mostly sits in Silk board showroom. I had an experience of his arrogance at the time of booking a Lodgy in 2016. I asked for 85PS RXE variant, initially, the Sales executive at Mysore Road denied having it in stock. After a few days, when I visited their Silk board outlet, I realised that it was available and this person had to approve for taking a booking. This dealer has a lot of cars in inventory and it is highly unlikely that car had to be brought from Chennai plant. Renault's statement clearly mentions malpractice at dealer place, are they looking for a new dealership in Bangalore?

Last edited by deehunk : 9th February 2018 at 23:09.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 23:55   #20
BHPian

This is not unusual, these things happen. Anyway you have accepted the delivery, so not much can be done I guess.

Repainting or full vinyl wraps are the only options left.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 00:10   #21
BHPian

Re: Renault shows its true colours: I wanted a green Duster, but ended up with an orange Duster

Quote:
This makes me think one of 2 things happened.
  1. There was no Green Duster in the first place. The Sales Girl made it up since it was clear you would book immediately. The 'system down' excuse ensured that she need not have to give the VIN.
Actually this is the case. During one of the discussion with the sales executive of the showroom, she told me that there was no Green Duster in the yard itself when her associate took the booking and confirmed the delivery date.

Quote:
Based on your timeline, I assume your baby has arrived or the due date is any time soon, so personally I would not let this upset what should be a happy and enjoyable period in your life.
Yeah, we became parents recently and we nick named him Turbo . I am not upset about the car, but I am a bit angry with these so called MBA sales guys. Because of them I was about to fail as a husband and as a father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I still don't believe that anyone or anything forced you into taking delivery of a car you didn't want.

This is a rare time that I'll side up with the manufacturer / dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Keeping emotions aside, what amount are we looking at as penalty offered by the court IF it rules in your favour? I am not sure but will it be more than a few thousand? You will probably waste more time and energy on this than that penalty amount. But I do understand that sometime our emotions get the better of us and in this case you have taken it upon yourself to teach these people a lesson. I sincerely wish you all the best in this endeavour and hopefully you can also club the Insurance fraud in your current case.

This aside, why don't you get your car wrapped or repainted to a colour of your choice if the you were so keen on a particular colour?
I prayed to court for exchanging the Orange Duster with a Green one, and to transfer the extra accessories I got fitted in the Orange Duster to the Green Duster (Momo Alloys, Rear View camera with display and Leather seat cover)

Thanks for your best wishes, I am also not sure if I can club the insurance fraud together as it is not mentioned in the original case I filed. I don't want to teach anyone a lesson, I just want the car I booked and paid for. And if I fail to get that, I'll at-least get a lesson.

Don't want to get the car repainted because of 3 reasons:
  1. It was not my fault that I get Orange Duster instead of Green Duster
  2. Changing colour of a car is illegal unless it is approved by the RTO
  3. AFAIK, painting is done in the very initial phase of the assembly line, and repainting new car will be patchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The sales activity is controlled by a cluster head kind of a person who mostly sits in Silk board showroom. I had an experience of his arrogance at the time of booking a Lodgy in 2016. I asked for 85PS RXE variant, initially, the Sales executive at Mysore Road denied having it in stock. After a few days, when I visited their Silk board outlet, I realised that it was available and this person had to approve for taking a booking. This dealer has a lot of cars in inventory and it is highly unlikely that car had to be brought from Chennai plant. Renault's statement clearly mentions malpractice at dealer place, are they looking for a new dealership in Bangalore?
You got it right, else how can they deliver the Orange Duster within 2 days. They want customer to pay the money and buy the car based on dealer's choice.

Last edited by PetaWatt : 10th February 2018 at 00:16.
PetaWatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 06:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

It’s not that uncommon that your first colour choice is not available and you settle for second best or just wait. The dealer gave you both these options, so I don’t get what you hope to achieve with your court case. Are you seriously expecting them to replace a perfectly good car that you took possession of and used?
Am really surprised the judge didn’t throw the case out.

Look- am not unsympathetic...I had booked a Terra Beige VW Vento myself but after nearly 4 months of waiting when the dealer told me that my choice of colour would not be available for some more time, I quickly changed my option to White, which was immediately available. I love my car regardless of its colour. Am sure you can learn to as well.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 07:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Renault shows its true colours: I wanted a green Duster, but ended up with an...

You asked for a green,did not get one, you asked for any other colour,they offered orange and you accepted and have been driving around. End of story.

I guess you should just forget about it and enjoy the car. I have waited for 3 months for the colour choice. In the meanwhile the dealer kept offering all other possible colours including a newly introduced colour for which I kept declining.

Probably your personal circumstances led to bad decision making during the purchase. Shit happens and we move on. The dealers have multiple issues. Unless they block a Vin they really cannot be assured that they will get a car that is in factory stock.

Renault JP Nagar is not owned by Trident. I have visited this showroom and there is no mention of Trident anywhere.

I paid for green Duster, dealer delivered an orange one. EDIT: I won the court case!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1518229123.206638.jpg

Also if you are not enjoying the colour, just spend a little more and wrap it green. Just withdraw the case. It is only going to take more of your time and peace away. Enjoy you car and enjoy the arrival of your child. Cheers.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 10th February 2018 at 08:07.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 08:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault shows its true colours: I wanted a green Duster, but ended up with an...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
The dealers have multiple issues. Unless they block a Vin they really cannot be assured that they will get a car that is in factory stock.

Renault JP Nagar is not owned by Trident. I have visited this showroom and there is no mention of Trident anywhere.
See this link, this group has a long history of cheating customers from the time of Hyundai dealership. The biggest reason for Renault losing sales in Bangalore is this dealership, they don't have any ethics and can go to any extent to impose things on buyers. The work culture is same in all their dealerships irrespective of brands.

http://www.tridentrenault.com/contact-us-en-in.htm

Last edited by deehunk : 10th February 2018 at 08:22.
deehunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 13:58   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Why don't you suggest one, we can request moderators to update it. I think "Renault shows its true colours: Booked Green Duster, but forced to take Orange Duster" will make more sense.
To be honest it should be, "How not to rush oneself into buying a car.".

Come on man, as many have already detailed enough, I also can't find reason with this case at all.

If the car is reliable, why not enjoy it and make peace with the colour?

FYI, I've changed dealers because my choice of car variant or colour was not available. Easy peasy.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 15:03   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Now that you have the car, PetaWatt, odds are you're going to have to live with it. How about making your car look better? Start off with:

1. Blackened roof
2. Blackened rims
3. Nicer number-plate
4. De-chroming it

Orange isn't a bad colour. Posting pics for inspiration (not that I like all of these visual mods):
I paid for green Duster, dealer delivered an orange one. EDIT: I won the court case!-1.jpg
Source

I paid for green Duster, dealer delivered an orange one. EDIT: I won the court case!-2.jpg
Source
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 15:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't believe I could have got refund, booked a Ecosport or Breeza and get it delivered within 4-5 days (Before our offices would have opened)
Instead of approaching the court after getting delivery, you should have cancelled the booking and if they don't refund the amount get it sorted through court. And book Breeza and get it delivered in 4-5 days, as simple as that

Quote:
Actually at no point of time I signed a document stating I am happy and satisfied with the delivery.
Getting the vehicle registered on your name is more than sufficient than signing hundreds of pages with happy smileys.

Quote:
On top of this, just a day before the delivery I received an email from Renault that they resolved my issue, and I replied very clearly that they deliberately put me in a situation where I don't have any other option, and I'll appeal in court.
You had other options which YOU didn't pick.
- Cancel the booking & go ahead with other brand / model / color
- Get a self drive rented car until the situation is settled
- Get another used car which doesn't depreciate much, use it till the new car arrives and then sell it
- If you had already paid the full amount to dealer, ask them to get the green color car ASAP and till then get a loaner car

There is no point in blaming others for your act

Quote:
I wish I knew, would have plan accordingly.
Also, how a customer like me will know what is the agreement between the Renault and Dealer?
Ignorance is not an excuse

Quote:
Yes, it was 'free insurance' scheme. I was not aware then that it is common practice, but is it legal?
It's not ethical, but obviously legal.
You were committed a free (comprehensive) insurance and you were provided. In case if the customer was invoiced for a higher amount but the actual insurance premium is different, then it is a valid case and illegal too.

Quote:
I am no legal expert, so just telling what I feel.
1. I open "Renault" website to find the showroom location.
2. I reached showroom and identified by their board "Renault"
3. I booked the car, got the booking receipt and delivery date commitment.
4. 3 days before the delivery, showroom refused the delivery, I filed a complaint with Renault within 30 mins through an email and received a complaint number.
- Institution "X" is famous in medical science and every year they give the nation best of best doctors and the same was advertised too
- I take a patient in emergency situation to one of those doctors
- Doctor commits to get him back healthy
- He does the surgery and unfortunately the poor soul passes away

Now whom should I blame?
Institution or the Doctor?

Quote:
Renault could have replied to my email saying "Renault is not responsible for Dealer's wrongdoings" instead of replying with a complaint number. Does Renault has guts to remove "Renault" from the showroom board, and put a notice board there stating "Renault is not responsible for this showroom's wrongdoing"?
Can you share the mail reply from Renault with complaint number?

Quote:
I think "Renault shows its true colours: Booked Green Duster, but forced to take Orange Duster" will make more sense.
I think
"I was ignorant about car buying process and dealer won the Business" will make more sense

Quote:
Actually, the sales girl told me that it will be written on the computer generated booking receipt which will be given after the booking amount payment only. After I swept my card, she told me that system is down and she cant get the VIN from the Renault's yard server. Gave me a manual receipt without a VIN.
Why didn't you insist in getting the VIN number written on the manual receipt?
System generated receipt with VIN is equivalent to vehicle allotment. If dealer is aware about the stock at Chennai, getting the VIN detail is not something impossible.

Quote:
Yeah, we became parents recently and we nick named him Turbo
Congrats. Welcome to parenthood and wish you only smiles ahead. That's a nice nick name.

Quote:
I prayed to court for exchanging the Orange Duster with a Green one, and to transfer the extra accessories I got fitted in the Orange Duster to the Green Duster (Momo Alloys, Rear View camera with display and Leather seat cover)
I agree on this, provided
- it include demanding a Green Duster with same miles that you covered in orange one
- which is already registered in someone's name (You got the orange one registered in your name)
- with all applicable dust, dent, scratches, usage wear and tear what ever is there in orange one

Do you?

Quote:
[*]It was not my fault that I get Orange Duster instead of Green Duster[*]Changing colour of a car is illegal unless it is approved by the RTO
1) Actually it is your fault. You should have denied taking delivery
2) Color change can be endorsed in RC

Quote:
They want customer to pay the money and buy the car based on dealer's choice.
Did they force you to take ONLY orange duster? There were other options which you denied.

Sorry for being bit harsh and blaming you, but that's the fact.

IMO and understanding,
1) Vehicle is already registered, so no replacement possible. You may argue that the dealer committed to get an green duster registered in you name but gave something else without your knowledge. It's again your mistake. You should have verified the documents before registration. If you have signed blank documents, you know it's your fault again.
2) Get it sorted out with the dealer (through Renault, if required) for a mutual compensation on additional accessories / VAS / service or gift coupons. Nothing much can be done
3) Just forget the incident and enjoy driving the new machine with your new family member. There is no point in running for this case. Lesson is already learned, make use of it for the future.

Happy driving.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 10th February 2018 at 15:47.
Mr.Boss is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 17:15   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha - this is a classic case of having your cake and eating it too.

This is the oldest trick in the book. @noopster and a few others have given their own experiences; so is the case of mine - did a booking for blue color Vento; was promised one in 3 months; black and others were available on immediate basis. Around 3rd month got to know through a friend (in VW) that a blue vento was dispatched from the factory for my booking period the blue, but then it suddenly disappeared. Later got to know that it was sold to another customer. Made a lot of noise and then was allocated a new one a few weeks later. Did I have a case to fight in the court? Maybe; but who will take the effort.

The outcome of your court case would be educational for a lot of folks on the forum; so please do share the updates as it comes. However as rightly pointed out by many; you don't have a very stable base to fight for.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 17:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Orange isn't a bad colour.
I am sharing the images of my Duster taken for ad purpose, Cayenne Orange is an eye catcher on the street. This dealer is not a new face in Consumer court, he has been living on the edge of a knife for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
I paid for green Duster, dealer delivered an orange one. EDIT: I won the court case!-20161109_103339.jpg  

I paid for green Duster, dealer delivered an orange one. EDIT: I won the court case!-20161109_103326.jpg  

I paid for green Duster, dealer delivered an orange one. EDIT: I won the court case!-duster.jpg  

Last edited by deehunk : 10th February 2018 at 17:53.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 00:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Am really surprised the judge didn’t throw the case out.
I would have accepted that and I'll accept whatever they decide. Mine was the only case out of 5-6 new cases that day for which panel asked few questions before accepting the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

Enjoy you car and enjoy the arrival of your child. Cheers.
Anyone can get confused, but it is owned by Trident. This is exactly my point. As a customer, I'll see "Renault" and get the confidence that it is Renault's showroom and won't expect any false promise.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Quote:
How about making your car look better?
Thanks GTO, I have few more updates in my mind, will certainly do when I get some free time and will post the pictures too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
There is no point in blaming others for your act
Depends on the scenario. If I reach station late and miss the train, I wont blame anyone. But if reached the station and couldn't get the ticket because booking server was down, I'll blame the railway.

Quote:
Ignorance is not an excuse
Agree. Consider this, Everyone who crosses the MG road after 11pm is getting robbed. I am not aware of that and one night I had to cross the MG road and I got robbed. I am definitely at more fault than the robber here because of my ignorance.

Its more kind of "Not knowing the law is not an excuse to break it", but then law is well documented and anyone can have access on it.

Quote:
- Institution "X" is famous in medical science and every year they give the nation best of best doctors and the same was advertised too
- I take a patient in emergency situation to one of those doctors
- Doctor commits to get him back healthy
- He does the surgery and unfortunately the poor soul passes away

Now whom should I blame?
Institution or the Doctor?
Let's twist the story a bit to fit it in the current case scenario. Doctor commits to start the surgery within 5 mins and assures me that the patient will be saved. After, 4 mins I found doctor drove home for lunch. I ask hospital management for another doctor, and hospital management says there is no other doctor available. The poor soul passes away.

Whom should I blame?

Quote:
Can you share the mail reply from Renault with complaint number?
Sure, here it is. I hid the names intentionally, I don't want sales girl to suffer until things are proven in the court.

I paid for green Duster, dealer delivered an orange one. EDIT: I won the court case!-renaultmailresponse.jpg

Quote:
"I was ignorant about car buying process and dealer won the Business" will make more sense
Only if cheating an ignorant buyer by making false promise is their business.

Quote:
Congrats. Welcome to parenthood and wish you only smiles ahead. That's a nice nick name.
Thanks for the best wishes. Glad you liked the name.

Quote:
I agree on this, provided
- it include demanding a Green Duster with same miles that you covered in orange one
- which is already registered in someone's name (You got the orange one registered in your name)
- with all applicable dust, dent, scratches, usage wear and tear what ever is there in orange one

Do you?
No.

Quote:
Sorry for being bit harsh and blaming you, but that's the fact.

IMO and understanding,
1) Vehicle is already registered, so no replacement possible. You may argue that the dealer committed to get an green duster registered in you name but gave something else without your knowledge. It's again your mistake. You should have verified the documents before registration. If you have signed blank documents, you know it's your fault again.
2) Get it sorted out with the dealer (through Renault, if required) for a mutual compensation on additional accessories / VAS / service or gift coupons. Nothing much can be done
3) Just forget the incident and enjoy driving the new machine with your new family member. There is no point in running for this case. Lesson is already learned, make use of it for the future.

Happy driving.
Please don't be sorry, I am here to get different views and thinking of unbiased people, and it you feel I have to be blamed that's totally ok with me.

Thanks for sharing your opinion and understanding, I am learning from all these comments/suggestions I am getting here.

There is at-least one lesson remaining that only court can teach me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The outcome of your court case would be educational for a lot of folks on the forum; so please do share the updates as it comes. However as rightly pointed out by many; you don't have a very stable base to fight for.
Sure, will keep updating. Yes, most of the guys over here are much more experienced that me, I wish I could have taken their suggestions/help when I was actually going through the bad phase. But I was not a member then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This dealer is not a new face in Consumer court, he has been living on the edge of a knife for a long time.
I don't know much about the dealer, but Renault seems to be new to this? When I did the search for the cases against Renault, I couldn't find a single. I searched cases only in the jurisdiction I have filed my case. Finding the cases across the India would be difficult as if value of item is less than 20L then case need to filed in the district forum, and there are a lot of them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks